Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

santafewillie

Same Ol' Buzzard
OK, I found the new place. Flo and Francine are ready to serve you. Watch out for the fresh paint. Ray, see if you can find Louis and tell him it's open.

New month and better weather? It appears the Polar Vortex is over, my temp this AM is -5 degree, it's a regular tropical warm up. Weather Underground shows it going above Zero today at about 11:00 AM! It will be warm enough to go into the basement and fool around! There will be a high of +16 degrees!!! Then we won't go back down to Zero until next Wednesday and there will be some -20 degree temps overnight for a few days. Barometer is Three Zero Point two one, sky is Cloudy and wind is 9 MPH from SSE. Some snow is predicted this Sunday night, into Monday.

Tanks Willie for opening up the new Dinner! Flo, I'll have the "AMERICAN BREAKFAST" My arteries need a good thick clogging! Eggs over easy, crispy bacon, hash browns and sour dough toast slathered in butter and of course a nice hot cup of "Joe", thanks, Flo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning...Last cold day then the warm up begins.

Boris,I forgot about Byrne Dairy.
We usually have a competition between Puxatony Phil and our local Dunkirk Dave,Dave is currently leading with a 90 percent accuracy.

Good morning gang. Looks like the girls have the new place ready to go. I'll take a short stack in a cup of coffee. 7 degrees this morning, feels like a heatwave. Got to pay the bills pay for the thrills, so it's off to work I go. Later guys

Good morning, not so good of a day yesterday, but it could have been much worse. While I was working my oldest Beagle, Tucker (Houdini), escaped from the back yard when my wife let him out after work. The wind had blown an empty trash can over and up against the fence. Tucker used it to jump the fence. He was attacked by a Pit Bull. My little wife and a neighbor lady bravely got Tucker away to safety. Tucker had a severe gapping wound on his left side of his neck that ran another 8" to his chest. Fortunately the pit bull retreated and little ladies were not injured.

My wife and daughter took Tucker to Eastern Animal Hospital and they did emergency surgery. Tucker is now resting in a recliner and doing good. The surgery was successful, they were able to close the gapping wound. He has over a dozen staples and a drain installed. He will look like Frankenstein, but otherwise he should make a full recovery. The initial visit and surgery cost almost $1800 and he will need a few follow up visits. There goes $2500 or more, but I still have my Tucker.

The neighbor lady who helped told my wife, Tucker was trying to play with the Pit Bull, but the Pit Bull had other ideas. Tucker teased him running up and down the fence when the Pit Bull forced his head under the chain link fence of his yard, grabbed Tucker and dragged him under the fence into his yard. Tucker rolled onto his back to submit, but the Pit Bull attacked him again and would not let go, fiercely waving his head from side to side with Tucker in his mouth.

The neighbor who's yard it is and his Pit Bull was no where to be found when I got home. I don't have a legal case against him. Tucker initiated the conflict and his dog never left his yard. I do want him to do something about that fence!

Dog fights can be the worst and Pit Bulls, if taught to be aggressive certainly can and will be! They have a natural-powerful bite. However, they have to be taught to be aggressive. I know of two Pits that are just big puppies and don't have an aggressive bone in their bodies.

Good Morning all,

It’s finally above zero. A whopping 3 degrees. The temps rose some overnight. Looks like we will be in the mid 40s for a few days, and possibly 50 by Monday. It’s going to be a mess with the frozen ground, and the rapid snow melt.

Have a great day.

Good morning, not so good of a day yesterday, but it could have been much worse. While I was working my oldest Beagle, Tucker (Houdini), escaped from the back yard when my wife let him out after work. The wind had blown an empty trash can over and up against the fence. Tucker used it to jump the fence. He was attacked by a Pit Bull. My little wife and a neighbor lady bravely got Tucker away to safety. Tucker had a severe gapping wound on his left side of his neck that ran another 8" to his chest. Fortunately the pit bull retreated and little ladies were not injured.

My wife and daughter took Tucker to Eastern Animal Hospital and they did emergency surgery. Tucker is now resting in a recliner and doing good. The surgery was successful, they were able to close the gapping wound. He has over a dozen staples and a drain installed. He will look like Frankenstein, but otherwise he should make a full recovery. The initial visit and surgery cost almost $1800 and he will need a few follow up visits. There goes $2500 or more, but I still have my Tucker.

The neighbor lady who helped told my wife, Tucker was trying to play with the Pit Bull, but the Pit Bull had other ideas. Tucker teased him running up and down the fence when the Pit Bull forced his head under the chain link fence of his yard, grabbed Tucker and dragged him under the fence into his yard. Tucker rolled onto his back to submit, but the Pit Bull attacked him again and would not let go, fiercely waving his head from side to side with Tucker in his mouth.

The neighbor who's yard it is and his Pit Bull was no where to be found when I got home. I don't have a legal case against him. Tucker initiated the conflict and his dog never left his yard. I do want him to do something about that fence!

That’s terrible! Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Mark and Mike, thank you. Tucker is shaken, but he is recovering.

Mark you bring up a good point. Pit Bulls are not bad. I have nothing against the breed itself. Pit Bulls are not really a specific breed. They were created by cross breading Bull Dogs and Terriers to use in a variety of blood sports. There are dozens of varieties, but many go back to their original breeding for blood sport.

Breeding can become inherent in a dog with or without training. For example I had a Dalmatian, they are breed to be coach dogs. They were to circle the coach to keep other animals away from the horses. My Dalmatian was never trained, but he always circled my kids when he was off his leash walking with us in the park.

Beagles are hunters, the bread is known to be unable to resist the scent of another animal. As his owner I need to do better to contain him.

Pit Bulls were breed to fight, their owners need to contain them.

For me it's like kids, there are no bad kids, only failed parents. For dogs the parent is the owner.

As an Amazon delivery man I encounter all kinds of dogs. The most aggressive dog I ever encountered was a little, less than 10lbs, mixed breed. He wanted to kill me! :) I have never been bitten when delivering packages. That little guy was thwarted by his owner snatching his leash. He was chained up outside on an uncomfortable 40 degree rainy day, I would have been pissed off too. I should have chained the owner up with him, but I don't think Amazon would have been very understanding.

Now and then.
1549026618705.png

Mt. Royal Ave, Baltimore, MD
William McCullyBaltimore Photos, Memories, History, etc.

Good morning everyone. 38 and cloudy, but at least it's not single digits. This starts a warmup that lasts through Wednesday when we hit 60!! Then we get another round of cold.

Nothing to report from the train room. Down side of batching it: make dinner, clean stove after frying vegetables, do dishes, do a load of laundry (one a week, but when it's time, it's time), clean basement, look at train layout, drool over train layout, go back to kitchen - - - - - - As Charlie Brown would say, "AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!"

Got to get a haircut, then back to work for a long morning meeting.

Have a good day everyone. Drink lots of coffee.

1549027481388.png

Fifty-one years ago today, the Pennsylvania Railroad merged with the New York Central to form Penn Central. In this scene, former PRR and NYC employees greet each other at Newberry Yard in Williamsport, PA. Penn Central Railroad Historical Society

Following this story in the News Paper with the man who raised me I thought the Penn Central would be some kind of Super Hero, seriously!

1549027769962.png

The inaugural "Elizabethan" … London- Edinburgh non-stop train June 29 1953 …. A-4 class 4-6-2 , Walter K. Whigham , leaving King's Cross … 392 3/4 miles in 6 hours 40.min.... photographer not known …. SLP library photo

1549027905211.png

Penn Central GG1 4915 with Train 152
The Afternoon Congressional passing Ivy City Terminal, Washington, DC on January 16, 1969
A Roger Puta photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back