Running Bear's February 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll join Mark this morning in the breakfast department! That's the way I like to start my day. Every morning I run a small white potato (about 1.5 inches) with my "chopper" to make fresh fried potatoes to mix with my sunny up eggs.
Wally World has been putting out fresh made sausage patties - comes 10 to a package again about 1.5 inches in diameter and it's berry, berry good!

Well, Yesterday afternoon right after I said that it was really dark outside ... a bright flash followed by a tremoundous clap of thunder followed by a torrent of rain came down. My scientific bucket had 1.5 inches in it this morning!
My yard sprinklers have not been on since Thanksgiving and there is supposed to be more rain on the way for Saturday and Sunday. HA,HA, Maybe ... along with global warming the Trumpster has broken the drought out here?

LOUIS - I am so very sorry to hear of Tucker's trials! Someone must have acted pretty darn quick to break up the tussel ... that is so frighting. It brought back my vision of my son's two dogs knocking down and attacking my older girl, Foxie.
They had all played together for two days, but they got excited, one growl, and they went balastic.

JOE - Sorry that you are having sleeping issues .. I had that a while back, but I cannot remember what I did for it.

Good news on the home front ... my dizziness seems to have subsided. Doctors could not tell me what brought it on, but did explain what was causing it and some excerises to "help" it - maybe? At least $300+ of tests showed that it was nothing more serious. I have been mostly normal lately, no comments Karl, but Doctors said from time to time it may occur again.
Seems as if we all have tiny calcium crystals inside our ear canals which can become loose and "float around" inside the canal which causes a person to become dizzy. I asked the Dr (cute lady about 45) who put those crystals there and she said that it was a design flaw - that I would have to ask the man upstairs - don't know where they come from, or why they are there.

OK - time for breakfast - later guys.

Sherrel: You forgot to mention which Berry your referring to though, Boision, Black, Raspberry ?? LoL

Just so's you know it ain't unusual, I've had the same. Treatment prescribed, was to sit on the edge of the bed, turn your head slightly to one side, then fall sideways against the mattress, hitting the back corner of your head against it. Repeat the other way. I did it once, felt so nauseous and dizzy, didn't dare do it again, but it did clear shortly after.

Very nice, they are. Highly detailed. Just be careful of the chain on the side of the front truck, it is cut to allow for the swing in the truck, could be easily caught. Seems you also plumped for the factory decoder, a wise choice with these, I think.

Yep, I purchased with the sound decoder already installed. I don't know if at this point I have the skills, or the time to do my own at this point. When I switched scales, I decided to go DCC sound out of the chute. Plus I figured it would limit the number of locos I bought due to the cost.

This has been sitting at the post office 3 blocks from my house since Wednesday. We haven’t had mail delivery due to the extreme cold. It was on the porch when I got home from work this afternoon. It looks, and sounds excellent. Looking forward to adding a few more to the fleet.

View attachment 33983

mike, is that "N" scale -Now I know I am getting old =. I cannot remember if your HO or N?
Since my diesel world ended with the gp35 thereabouts ... To me it's a "BLUF"!

mike, is that "N" scale -Now I know I am getting old =. I cannot remember if your HO or N?
Since my diesel world ended with the gp35 thereabouts ... To me it's a "BLUF"!

Its an Ho Scale model. I was an N Scaler for many years, but switched to HO about 18 months ago.

Its an Ho Scale model. I was an N Scaler for many years, but switched to HO about 18 months ago.
I wanted the factory sound unit, but I had a perfectly good 21 pin Select decoder laying around, so I got the DCC ready version, and used that.
Little did I know...

I wanted the factory sound unit, but I had a perfectly good 21 pin Select decoder laying around, so I got the DCC ready version, and used that.
Little did I know...
They're somewhat slack in the info they give out on the initial advertising of the DCC ready's. To the user accustomed to that specification, the con's are only discovered from digging around. At least the ditch lights can be made to flash, something that, from what I read, may not be possible if using a different brand's 21 pin.

Howdy ....

Good to see everybody who was here during the day. ..... I was a bit busy. .... Tomorrow we go to Nashville again. I let Shelley decide when t visit here ailing Mom.

I'll catch up with everybody when I can....

Good Morning All. 53° and very foggy. Visibility is less than a quarter mile and I cannot see the headlights on the cars passing on the road 250' away. A week of warmer weather coming up, with temperatures in the upper 70's Monday and Tuesday; mid 60's to lower 70's the rest of the time.
OK, Sherrel! This years gardening almanac begins today. Suffering from what I refer to as "onion thighs" this morning, the result of two days of bending/stooping over to plant onions. It's been an annual affliction since 1977 or so. I do have 200+ of them planted right now, all of them are the Texas A&M versions of the copyrighted (patented?) Vidalia yellow onion, locally known as "Texas 1015". Today, I will plant some radish seeds between the rows; makes use of currently unused space that the onions won't need for another 75 days. Radishes will be harvested in about 40 days depending on the weather.
It's good to note that it's beginning to warm up a bit for those affected by the Polar Vortex. I hope that everyone survived and that your cars all still start and no alcohol was frozen. Good to note also that our President fixed global warming in only two years!

Thanks for the comments regarding the latest round of photos, Garry, Curt, Tom, David and anyone else whom I inadvertently missed.

I did venture out to the train shed yesterday. Started the ground cover in the new town with a gravel parking lot for "Jack's". Did some work across the road out in back of "Tony's"; sidewalk between buildings, refrigeration unit w/piping for the slaughterhouse and some other minor details.
Here's another business located in this town, Hale's Feed & Grain. This is one of those Bar Mills "beginner" kits, with added signage and details by Willie
View attachment 33960
That's a Walther's "Prairie Star Grain Elevator" in the background on the other side of the tracks.

Joe - I hope the best for you and the sleep issues. I had some a few months ago, and I switched the timing of a new med the doctor prescribed and the problem went away.
Beady - It was good to read that Ollie is back home.
Phil - My brother does the same with his gin, he likes dry martini's.
Johnny -
Sorta! I learned some new things as well, like eight hours sleep is a real thing, you can take a shower anytime you want and neglected projects really come back to haunt you!:cool: Spent less time in the train shed than I thought that I would though.
Terry -
Jet fuel???
Garry - I always liked your milk truck.
Curt - Ditto here on explaining the "burning rails" to my wife.
Louis - Late start this morning, but I see that you're making up for lost time. LOL;) Who needs Google Maps when we have Louis???

I have to mention that February is National Enrolled Agents month for my wife's benefit. They are the tax prep experts employed by H&R Block and other tax preparing agencies who are certified by the IRS. Most tax preparers are not EA's though. Ask ahead of time if your return might be complex.
Everybody have a great Friday.

Willie:. On the Bar Mills' kit wouldn't it make more sense to have the loading dock all across the back than only partially as is ?

1549103528499.png

No info - any help?

Good morning Everybody!

I'll start by saying thanks to everybody for your thoughts about my Tucker boy. He is doing great. Yesterday he got my daughter Nikki to sit with him curled up on lap all day watching TV while I was working. I got home and he came down to see me. He went right back to Nikki's lap after we ate. For the first time since we had him he did not go to bed with me. He stayed with Nikki :) After I fell asleep Nikki woke me to tell me Tucker wanted to come to bed. He curled up next to my legs and slept like a baby all night, so did I. This morning he is doing fine and his wound is already healing. He is even leaving the drain alone, he is a good boy.

Yesterday was crazy! Amazon was so backed up the line of contractors and vans wrapped around the huge building spilling over into the street. Something happened over night to delay the sorting of packages. I don't know what happened, all I know is after I called the corporate office they paid me triple for my route to wait. I thought for sure fights were going to break out. There were some heated exchange of words, but no violence. Nobody bothered me, I just sat listening to the radio. I don't understand why people get so angry. Nobody wanted it to be so mucked up, it is what it is. Some days are just better than others.

The weather forecast was for light snow until about 3pm. That was wrong, it snowed all day! I left the house at noon and did not get back home to 6pm. It was still snowing when I got home. My route was great, 47 packages delivered in under 2 hours without breaking a sweat. I was in the richest development I have ever been in! The houses were huge and the yards were massive! The space they used for 2 houses would take up 3 blocks in my neighborhood. I was happy because most homes had a circle drive way. I could literally drive up to the front door! The only problem was it seems rich people don't believe in snow removal. It was ok to drive on but the snow eventually saturated my leather shoes and two pairs of socks. The drive home was another story.

Both tunnels were backed up and the GPS said the key bridge was faster, I should have known better. By the time I got to the bridge the sun had gone down. The salt/brine was not working very good at the low temperatures. Combine that with the steep incline of the bridge and dumb asses stoping and it was an adventure! I just put my little empty van in low and she never slipped, not even once. I have to say I was a bit worried with almost 38,000 miles on my tires with only 6/32" tread. I love my CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)! I got a great view of the harbor and the Patapsco river were in empties into the Chesapeake bay while I was waiting. It looked cool with the lights reflecting off the ice. I should have taken pictures.

When I got off the bridge and the highway the roads were not so good in Logan Village, but as I made my way up Dundalk Ave. things improved. By the time I got home my feet were warm and dry. :)

All is well that ends well.

Saw this in my front yard this morning. Less than two seconds after I snapped the pic, the oncoming car you can see the headlights of spooked them, and they ran across the road in front of the car. No deer were struck or injured.View attachment 33962

I see a lot of deer while I am delivering packages, even in the city! It's more deer than I have ever seen in my life. I talked to grandfather of one of my baseball players and he told me the bad weather during the last hunting season cut down on the number of deer the hunters could get. It's sad because I see so many dead on the side of the road.

I don't hunt, I don't even own a gun, but I support hunters and gun rights for that matter. Their hobby is good for the dear. Better to be eaten then to rot on the side of the road. Please don't tell me about redneck road kill stew. :)

Good morning. A new month and the coffee shop has been spruced up. 30 degrees with an expected high in the mid to upper 40's this afternoon.

Louis - Sorry to hear about Tucker. At least he's on the mend. Loved your photos as usual. Look forward to them every morning.

Here are a few interesting photos. While running trains the other day, I started thinking (no, I didn't hurt myself) about the markets I had in the towns on the layout. Small, just like what I remember when I was a kid.

View attachment 33964 View attachment 33965 View attachment 33966

View attachment 33967 View attachment 33969 View attachment 33970

Look at the markets/grocery store we have today. The dry cereal isle is larger than some of the old markets. Back then meals were created from scratch, no prepared meals in the stores. Frozen food were just starting to hit the market in the 50's. Think of the refrigerators back then. Not much of a freezer. Room for a couple of ice cube trays and not much more. We did have what was a rarity back then, a small chest freezer. My uncle butchered game for hunters and we would have him butcher one of our steers and he custom wrapped it for us. These little markets had just about everything we needed.

Gotta get going soon to see the orthopedic surgeon to see if something can be done for my right shoulder.

Here's a rail photo for today.

View attachment 33972

Later

Chet Tucker is doing good, see post #53 for more information, thank you,

I'm very happy you enjoy the photos, that's why I post them.

I love the market photos! I'm a bit young, but I do remember one general store, Leggett's. We did not shop their except on the way home from school, it was next door to the school entrance. I remember the glass case with candy and potato chips in the barrel, but little else. I do remember the sling shots behind the counter! I was so little I had to step back to see beyond the counter. Your pictures reminded me of that store, thank you for bringing up great memories.

Oh no, is that your bowling shoulder? These new diagnostic machines, MRI and God knows what else can find problems, I hope they find yours and can fix it.

That’s a great idea! Go on the bay, and buy a box of junk cars, and practice on them.
That's how I learned, except there was no E-Bay at the time. Although I have to admit that I haven't yet after 30 years attempted any weathering on a $100+ engine!

February 2nd, 2019, Weather is mild! It is +10 above right now. Winds are Zero MPH out of the North East! Barometer is To Niner Point Niner Three and rising. Skies are cloudy. Almost not worth talking about! Need to reattach my mail box which was taken out by the snow plow last Monday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back