Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
A9EC0061-9A79-4361-90FF-2C927645116F.jpeg
D236B885-57D4-409F-8272-B443988C01B2.jpeg
3AE30C6E-A38C-4D1B-BE34-32C00BE78D36.jpeg
814604ED-54E3-4FE5-BF4D-2755E1C0BF9D.jpeg

Good afternoon, all! Not a bad day here in H-Town, unless you're a Texan fan. Weatherwise a little on the warm side for December, looking at nearly 80. Ran some chores most of the day and tomorrow is a safari to Costco. I did get a little done on the Val-U kit, mostly windows and doors.

The Apple Ridge Christmas tree went up over in Smokey Park. The mayor had a lot to say about nothing.
1670277908089.jpeg

Twenty days till Christmas

STAY SAFE
LATER

I never thought of that, but I guess those plug doors can extend out from the sides rather far.
The tracks are closer then you think. Going into Grand Central one day the outside mirrors hit injuring the firemen's arm on the train I was not on.
He had his arm resting on the windowsill at the time. Every time I would see him after that he would hold his arm wanting to sue the railroad.
Swal

Morning all,

1st day back to work since Thanksgiving. 2 full weeks before I get to take shorter days through the Holidays.

Did get some train time in yesterday. I spent redoing the new coupler boxes on that little engine. Nothing like taking them off 3 different times after they are glued. Finally got my gear lube, on the second order. Still don't know where the 1st order ended up. No pictures at this time, but the Kadee #5's are on and are the correct height. I was waiting for glue to finish drying when I stopped last evening.

David (trussrod): Glad to see you back. Sorry I hadn't acknowledged that earlier. Typing stuff from the phone just isn't the same.

Swal: Plans look good, but is a 30" opening wide enough to get a wheelchair through? I helped a family reset openings a number of years ago and we had to make them 34" minimum. I know she shouldn't still be in a chair when she gets home, but if you're making it accessible, wider is better.

BBL

Patrick, No problem, thanks for noticing. I also use my Android 4/5G phone for everything too and it did take some getting use to. I'm still trying to get a strong enough signal in my rural area !

Good evening from a weather confused So Central Wisconsin. The app has shown all day we were getting rain showers mixed with snow. Right now it says snow showers are falling. Called the SIL who is out in the fields on the south end of the property, nothing there about 2 miles by the crow flying. A 1/2 mile across the hills directly south of us is the daughter’s house and SIL’s, nothing there either. Where the heck are the weather weenies getting their info from? Yes, it’s dry here to.

80F1E5DE-0CD9-43B6-9B3C-B323DDABD14E.jpeg
02B508FE-F8A2-49B1-B35D-44CDABDCDC28.jpeg
30CFE0E4-BE6D-4416-AA8E-AC7A9B49E664.jpeg
23636C86-6991-47BF-949E-1F3A28D5FB54.jpeg
There used to be a paper mill here. No, the grain terminal is not moving. A week or so ago I talked out loud about changing the color of the mill. Now I can go with any color. IF the guy who said yes today comes back with cash Wednesday, I’ll have to build another one. Gee too bad…

I know the Recovery boiler building will be straight from the kit but the Superior Paper Mill and Kraft mill will be kit bashed this time. The bleach, digestor and warehouse buildings will all be scratch built. The biomass building is part of the deal but I need to finish it tonight, it’s been in flux since I built the 1st one in 1/2020. My pulp yard and chip pile stay

No tree making tonight.

some pictures from before the track was upgraded to code 83 from 70

D8434209-EBA2-4AFD-A57C-7FB9488A2DC7.jpeg
A7703D70-2C6A-4878-A02E-081B90C1FE43.jpeg

Results of my test pour. What do you all think? I'm going for a stretch of the Ohio river.

This is Acrylic Gloss Medium with a little Raw Umber liquid dye mixed in (1:32 mix). It's poured onto a test riverbed that is painted the same as my river is currently. I like the effect.

The blue line is a fissure caused by tilting the piece before it was cured, and the middle area pulled away from the edge a bit. The crack never fully healed, so it's a really low trench where you can see the greenish blue riverbed.
PXL_20221205_230506554.jpg

I think I'm going to dilute the dye a little further to 1:48 and have at it. I love the color, it just needs to be a little more translucent.

Louis - Looking at the score of the Colts-Cowboys game looks like Dallas smothered them.
They most certainly did! Cowboys 54 - Colts 19. I was expecting Dallas would win, I did not expect the Cowboys to score 54 points! It was 21-19 at the end of the third quarter.

Five Colts turnovers were more out of desperation than misfortune. What impressed me most was the Cowboys rushing attack. They ran for 220 yards, 34 attempts at 6.47 yards per carry! Much of it in the 4th quarter.

Any team that can play defense at an elite level and run the ball successfully in the 4th quarter must be considered among the best teams in the NFL. The Eagles (11-1) and the Vikings (10-2) have better records than the Cowboys (9-3), but the Cowboys look like the best team in the NFC, maybe the NFL!

"How bout them Cowboys!"

The NFC playoffs are going to be fun to watch!

Willie wrote, "I got a new electric space heater from Amazon to supplement the one in the train shed. It sometimes gets too chilly to do any modeling work out there, although I can run trains. I just cannot do modeling with long sleeves on, they snag on track/scenery or drag stuff off the workbench."

I have the same problem in my garage even though it's finished off and insulated. I also
started looking on Amazon at Syvio Ceramic heaters them have their own remote control which is convenient.

Which brand and model did you choose ?

As far as wearing long sleeves why not do what the Telegraphers and Station agents of old did, which I need to do too, and wear forearm cuffs to prevent snagging things on the layout, like my high-level switch stands or at the work bench ! ?? I've started wearing rubber bands around my cuffs and sleeves !

What type of large spools are those on the SF (?) flat car ?

Last edited:
Willie wrote, "I got a new electric space heater from Amazon to supplement the one in the train shed. It sometimes gets too chilly to do any modeling work out there, although I can run trains. I just cannot do modeling with long sleeves on, they snag on track/scenery or drag stuff off the workbench."

I have the same problem in my garage even though it's finished off and insulated. I also
started looking on Amazon at Syvio Ceramic heaters them have their own remote control which is convenient.

Which brand and model did you choose ?

As far as wearing long sleeves why not do what the Telegraphers and Station agents of old did, which I need to do too, and wear forearm cuffs to prevent snagging things on the layout, like my high-level switch stands or at the work bench ! ?? I've started wearing rubber bands around my cuffs and sleeves !

What type of large spools are those on the SF (?) flat car ?
I got a Dreo brand, that also comes with a remote. I think that all of them do. It's comparable to the Syvio brand. I use it to supplement an oil filled electric radiator that I already have out there, but each are only rated for ~300 sq ft maximum. The interior of the shed is 640 sq ft, thus requiring two heaters when outside temps drop below 45°. They both have thermostats that turn them off and on as needed.
I have a short-sleeved sweatshirt that I use occasionally.
Those spools are generic Chooch Products spools , which I just use to represent industrial electric cabling. Yes it is an ATSF flat car. The car is only used on "run through" manifest trains. It does not get switched anywhere on the layout, yet. I do have a future plan to add a team track with an overhead crane, that it could potentially go to. But that part of the layout will not see development until 2024.

Morning all,

Bit of drizzle and 33° this morning. High supposed to be 45° later.

I just heard via MSN that Kirsti Alley has passed on after a brief bout with cancer.
I did verify this from a couple of other sources...
I bumped in Kirstie and her husband (Parker Stephenson) and kids while getting gas at a now closed local gas station about 30 something years ago. Husband and kids were in the car. I live just east of Wichita. She was screaming on a pay phone to someone and pretty potty-mouthed about it. She was from Wichita so it wasn't uncommon for her to be in the area.

Not much going on yet this morning thank goodness.

Good Morning All. Happy St Nicholas Day. Clear and 60°, with a touch of fog. Relative humidity is 96% and there is no wind. Rain in the forecast for the next week except Friday, but temperatures will stay around 70° for the highs the whole time. Shorts again today after a high yesterday of 80°. My kind of December weather.

The chimney sweep is supposed to be by this morning, hated to hire him, but my regular guy hasn't been able to come by. He has a regular job as a plumber and has been working 70 hours a week for his company. They pay him more than I do.. His company is working on a 500+ unit apartment complex near UNT that was held up by concrete and lumber shortages earlier this summer. Supposed to open for the Spring semester in January, but it's likely that only 25% will be ready. Hope that they don't have the whole complex already leased.

Thanks for the likes and comments on yesterday's various posts.

Out in the train shed, I continued ballasting. I did 28" more on the passing siding.
IMG_2574.JPG

And I did about 18" on the main both before and after the switch, tying into the existing ballasted track.
IMG_2575.JPG

I skipped over the working parts of the switch for now, as that requires a concentrated effort to do correctly. I just wasn't ready to spend that much time on it yesterday.
IMG_2583.JPG

More to come.

Jeff - Week long gun season for deer seems a little short. In the northern part of TX it's from 11/5-01/01 this year. It's longer in South TX. I haven't heard much activity around here at this time. Of course that's partly because most of the bigger landowners in my neighborhood have a moratorium on deer hunting. Not so with dove and quail though.
Dave B - Hospitals and doctors don't seem to be in lacking around here, but nurses are definitely in short supply. My neighbor is a nurse and her doctor retired and closed her practice. She had over a dozen offers the day the retirement was announced. She settled on a foot doctor and remarked later that she didn't realize that there were going to be so many "dirty old men" hitting on her there. She previously worked for an internal medicine doctor.
Terry -
I just heard via MSN that Kirsti Alley has passed on after a brief bout with cancer.
I did verify this from a couple of other sources...
They do have a habit of posting outdated or unverified info.
Louis - That 54-19 scoring rout in the Cowboys/Colts game resulted in what's called a Scorigami. Never in NFL history has there been a score with those digits. First time that I have heard that word!
Curt - Here's a view of that curve from a different angle. I checked and it's a 32" radius curve.
IMG_2576.JPG

The fog has really set in now, visibility is about 450' or less.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning all.

I’ve been tasked with something at work that I need a little help with.

Late last year we converted a pizza stand into a pub. It’s been really popular. Our new GM is from the UK and has been using the medieval theme where it fits. He’s done a good job at so far. At this pub there are some shields hanging on the wall that need to be painted. He wants them to look battle damaged. I have no idea what to do. I was chosen to do this because I’m “creative”. I am not. I need help. Here are the shields. They look more Viking to me than medieval. Is anyone out there good with photoshop where you can digitally paint these to give me an idea. ( Our painter is most annoyed that I’m doing this and not him. Tried to give it to him and… well you know.)

Here they are. Thanks.
6A3B477D-BEAC-44D6-BC7D-0227BA43BF58.jpeg
5630B857-33BD-4D8A-BE2A-63A8E746A375.jpeg
5679FC55-65E9-434C-B8A5-EF8965E2CB45.jpeg
E9EA0BB7-473E-42DC-9F3C-26369655BB21.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back