Running Bear's December 2022 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the bathroom projects plans done. Just have to bring it down to the town. I can do anything more until the town gives it the OK. The room is not to exact scale, but the bathroom part is. I can now finally get some layout time.
Swal
Bathroom_Project_01.JPG

Morning all,

1st day back to work since Thanksgiving. 2 full weeks before I get to take shorter days through the Holidays.

Did get some train time in yesterday. I spent redoing the new coupler boxes on that little engine. Nothing like taking them off 3 different times after they are glued. Finally got my gear lube, on the second order. Still don't know where the 1st order ended up. No pictures at this time, but the Kadee #5's are on and are the correct height. I was waiting for glue to finish drying when I stopped last evening.

David (trussrod): Glad to see you back. Sorry I hadn't acknowledged that earlier. Typing stuff from the phone just isn't the same.

Swal: Plans look good, but is a 30" opening wide enough to get a wheelchair through? I helped a family reset openings a number of years ago and we had to make them 34" minimum. I know she shouldn't still be in a chair when she gets home, but if you're making it accessible, wider is better.

BBL

I got the bathroom projects plans done. Just have to bring it down to the town. I can do anything more until the town gives it the OK. The room is not to exact scale, but the bathroom part is. I can now finally get some layout time.
Swal
View attachment 157207
Swal: Agree with Patrick, except you might think about going to 48" door width as getting 2 bodies ( 1 pushing, 1 sitting ) through the door is interesting at best - seems like you always need to redirect the chair to some angle because there is almost always something you need to bend around on either side of the door: maybe not now, but it will happen. Also, you might create a blob the size of a wheelchair with person sitting in it scaled to your drawing, then drive it around inside the bathroom. Looks a tad cramped IF someone needs to push the wheelchair in and maneuver it around.

Later

Good morning fellow modelers. The weather yo yo in So. Central Wisconsin continues. 33f degrees right now and only going to 37 but the winds are calm. It says on the weather app we have a snow shower but I looked out the north door and of course the southern window wall and we have nothing going on.

Dinner was good with 2 other couples. I did use the patio grills and we ate at poolside on the big deck there. Terry was very happy that her Packers played good enough to win. No football discussions at dinner. One is a hockey coach who rarely watches FB games and the other are a couple from India that they have no interests in at all. I was a good boy, I actually sat and watched the game with her. What I am finding is, by turning the sound off I can watch the games. The announcers just cannot shut up. With Terry she uses the Bluetooth for the sound into her hearing aids.

I did ask the kind doctor last night about her schedule for patients. If she tells me to come back in six months why can’t I get a visit. She claimed and I believe her she was unaware of the issue. Dead end discussion there and we moved on. Lots of nice discussions away from politics and their professions. I think it’s why the six of us get along so well.

Everyone was gone at 10. So with the music on and my tree making coffee tray on my lap by midnight I formed another 20 wire tree armatures. I now have 48 ready for rubber mold compound for bark. I was asked if I ever use hot glue for the bark on the trunk. I have, purchased a pack of dollar store glue sticks. Hobby Lobby, Michael’s and the LHS glue sticks are not economically useful. I do like the control I get with a glue stick and how quickly they are ready to paint. But, they are not for foreground trees as once the glue is dry I cannot create the bark look by scraping where I can with candle wax and to a degree with the rubber mold compound.

Today is a therapist free day but I still have to do my knee out workout. I go to the clinic on Thursday for a check up on the knee. I finally have my outside display light timers figured out. I guess even digital timers and I do not get along. But the last 2 days they have come on at 3:50pm and off at 11:40pm as programmed. Terry’s approved Christmas gift arrive, a laptop. The son will remove all the junk software when he comes up a couple days before Christmas. I believe my main Christmas shopping is done. I had until a Covid 2021 Christmas did Christmas Eve day shopping for stocking stuffers but the daughter said no for her kids and for her and hubby. Terry also said stop it. The son is fine with it, but Using Amazon to deliver to him just isn’t the same.

enjoy the day

Swal: Agree with Patrick, except you might think about going to 48" door width as getting 2 bodies ( 1 pushing, 1 sitting ) through the door is interesting at best - seems like you always need to redirect the chair to some angle because there is almost always something you need to bend around on either side of the door: maybe not now, but it will happen. Also, you might create a blob the size of a wheelchair with person sitting in it scaled to your drawing, then drive it around inside the bathroom. Looks a tad cramped IF someone needs to push the wheelchair in and maneuver it around.

Later
Geesh, reply to my own ... again.

Maybe you don't have to go to a 48" door, but you need to consider how your gonna get in a 36" shower through the door - obviously your current 30" door needs stretched a bit. 36" won't work either as after you allow for the door on hinges when open, and the jam on the knob side, your 36" door suddenly shrinks to about 33 1/2".

Good morning! The lawn is frosted over this morning. The week-long gun season for deer is over. We had a lot of activity this year. Our friend brought his 13 year old boy over on the first day. They didn't see anything in the morning, but they came back after taking a lunch break, and Bryce got his first deer ever, a 2yr-old buck. His dad has never gotten a buck, so Bryce had bragging rights for 2 days, because 2 days later his dad also took a buck. The trail cam has spotted at least 10 different bucks passing through the area in the week leading up to gun season.

Gives me the feels to see a father/son hunting together. 🤗

Our neighbor with the horses took a deer yesterday... I heard teh shot around 9:30 yesterday morning, then about 5-10 minutes later, saw them tracking something back on the other side of the creek, so I bundled up, put on some hunter oange, and set out to see if they needed a hand. By the time I got out there, they were nowhere to be found, but I did see them later that morning butchering something in their barn that faces us.

There's a herd of wild turkey that has been in the area. About a dozen, maybe a few more... Also saw a fox, lots of raccoons, a couple coyotes, and a possum wandering by. Field cameras are really nice to have around. A few years back, I kept seeing the same yellow lab strolling through the woods about every day... turns out it lives about a half mile up the road, and likes to go for hikes, lol. I didn't know who the dog belonged to until I saw it at a yard sale, and spent about an hour shooting the breeze with its people. I kinda feel bad, that was the last time I saw the dog on the trail cam. I had no intentions of getting it in trouble, lol.

It has been an unusual rut this year with the deer. Usually, the rut lasts a week, maybe 2. This year, the bucks seem to be chasing the doe for weeks...

Good morning all, 21° F feels mild. Easy commute today very little traffic, dry roads.

Willie - re-arranging in the house? Something my wife does frequently, sometimes takes me a few days to notice. I do a little here and there just to make a point, she doesn't always notice either

Jaz - the snowman has awful teeth, needs to see a dentist

James - from watching TV with the mute on, I have become pretty good at lip reading. It helps as age and noise related hearing loss become more acute

TomO - several people from church also waiting for doctor appts. Some even waiting for a bed to open up. Is it the way they are treating nurses or simply not enough hospital space altogether? We don't have problems building massive stadiums but the sick are out in the cold?

Jeff - lots of wildlife in your area! I did see a few pheasants and deer over the weekend, nothing like we had last year, however.

I wrapped a chain around my load also am making up a second flat car which will be parked by the mill with unloading going on, currently sitting on the siding empty,

I think I will be doing an off white wash on both cars, also maybe dirty up the deck of the front (loaded) flat car some:

IMG_2928.JPG

more later, Dave LASM

Wow - - - what a hockey game! Wild v Stars

Dallas smothering the WIld from the opening face-off, yet somehow Minn. scores first. Dallas ties it up early (very early in the 2d). Methinks: "This is the end . . . " But then the Wild get two quickies, and a 4th to start the 3d 4-1. Then they score again! 5-1. But I've watched hockey for a few years now. Thirteen minutes is an epoch in hockey. Sure enough, Stars score - and again - AND AGAIN!! Now it's 5-4 with Just under three minutes.

Fleury makes a bad decision to hold a casual shot which came from outside the blue line. Stars pull their goalie for the offensive draw and win the face-off. BAM! 5-5. From a 4 goal lead early in the third to a tie. And so ends regulation.

Lovely skating during the OT. If you're not a hockey fan, just watch an Overtime 3 on 3 and you'll be hooked. The things those 230 pound brutes can do on skates is truly a thing of beauty. I digress, lovely skating with good chances for both but we go to the Shoot-Out. Stars go 2 for 2 and both answered by the Wild. Third Star shooter hoodwinks Fleury but misses the net. "Nobody goes 3 for 3," methinks and settles in for a 5 or 6 round shootout. Wrong again! Wild do go 3 for 3 and win the game.

I was tired just watching the game!

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 56°, however no rain expected. Sun should break through a bit after noon and it will top out at 78° later on. The forecast for the rest of the week is mixed with warm and rainy mostly. But I don't really count on the NWS to be anywhere near accurate any more. Our weather in the southern portion of the US is being controlled by La Niña out in the Pacific this year. That generally means warmer and drier than average wintertime weather here. Northern US and southern Canada are generally colder and snowier than average.
Didn't add any wood to the heater last night, I'm letting the fire go out in advance of the chimney sweep coming tomorrow morning. Don't need the heat as the low tonight is only going to be in the low 60's. It generally takes at least 24 hours for all of the coals to die out. It's always best to clean all of the ashes before a sweeping, as the falling creosote contaminates the ashes and they are not good for the garden after mixing. Fortunately cleaning only needs to happen once a year, I was unable to get our regular guy in the fall before the heating season started.

Wife comes home today and I will see the overpriced Christmas goodies that she will purchase at Trader Joe's this morning. There's not a lot of cleaning up to do since I didn't get anything dirty.

Thanks for the likes and comments regarding the open freight car loads yesterday.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I painted more track; I painted random ties with different shades of brown and grimy black and started ballasting.
IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2564.JPG

I started ballasting with the passing siding since that was the first color ballast I picked up. I used Woodland Scenics Medium Gray Blend.
IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

More of the same for the next few days.

Swal - Bathroom plan looks good, but I agree with the others regarding the 36" door.
James - Good to read that the rest of the family is recovering.
Louis - Looking at the score of the Colts-Cowboys game looks like Dallas smothered them.

Today would have been Little Richard's 89th birthday. What an absolutely crazy rocker he was!
Everyone have a great day.

As zinc is realatively inexpensive it should not stretch the bank balance,

Just a note that you don't want to overdue Zinc. Vitamin C is hard to "over dose" on as you will just pee out extra. You may have some other lihjt weight bowel issues or something if you really overdue it. I've been taking 7000+ MG (about 6500 in C supplements plus assorted otehr token amounts as parts of others) since the middle of last week sionce I've had a cold and we're leaving this week for Japan. I've not noticed any issues.

With Zinc, they say the normal person should not exceed 50mg a day though you can go as high as 75mg a day for a month, after which which you drop back down to 50mg. (read this as part of a Covid prophylaxis protocol from a leading respiratory doctor).

I regularly take a 22mg chelated zinc every other day and 2 of them every other day. And I get a couple mg zinc as part of other combined supplements (multi etc). Right now with the cold I've been taking the 2x 22mg since last week.

Luckily, despite not being vaccinated (I had the first J&J a little over a year ago due to work requirements but nothing since), and not masking in public since around March or April of this year, I've only had one bout of Covid (no doctors intervention required) back last January. And my colds tend to be generally mild, though the current one, though mild, is longer lasting :(. (Not making any claims here and not making any statements for or against vaccines)

I made some progress over the weekend doing a test pour for my fictional Ohio River scene. I have a thread over in the "Showin' Off" forum with details.

Here's a pic of the riverbed painted... too much color for my liking, but hoping a murky water on top subdues it to a more natural hue. Then some pictures of my test... as painted, immediately after the test pour, and again, about 14 hours later. The topcoat is Acrylic Gloss Medium with 1 1:32 mixture of Raw Umber liquid dye. The last picture is at 14 hours, and the top coat is still very much a liquid at this point.

The Gloss Medium is a milky white in the bottle, but it cures completely clear. So these pictures look more slate gray that it will look once cured. I'll post more pictures tonight, which will be 48 hours into the cure. I believe it will take about 72 hours to cure to the point where the color has stabilized.
1670255560124.png

As painted above. Immediately after the pour (very slate colored) below. I think the white area wasn't mixed well. I was using an old sparyt paint cap to mix the test pour, and there is a little crevice down in there that kept some of the medium from mixing with the dye.
1670255720033.png

This last picture is at the 14 hour mark... still a lot of milky white affecting the color. I wish I would have snapped a pic this morning. at 24 hours, it has finally cured to a tacky touch, and no longer appears to be a liquid that flows when tilting the test bed.
1670256140062.png

If you have any suggestions, or if you're interested in following the test reslults, hop on over the my thread in the showing off forum.

Last edited:
Swal: Plans look good, but is a 30" opening wide enough to get a wheelchair through? I helped a family reset openings a number of years ago and we had to make them 34" minimum. I know she shouldn't still be in a chair when she gets home, but if you're making it accessible, wider is better.
Everyone's right. I measured the wheelchair we have and it's 26" wide but 36 will make it much easier on the guy pushing. The wheelchair has been in our basement for 28 years. I've been tempted to throw it out now and then but now I'm glad I didn't.
Swal

Yep... partially because your fingers take up space on the handles, and partially because a 30" door doesn't mean 30" clearance unless the door is taken off the hinges. You lose a good ~2 inches with the thickness of the door and the hinge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back