Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Happy Fellow Modelers !
Done ! As usual you can also laugh if you want. No problem.🤣
I can put the crossing back because it is almost the same plan. Not a bad idea in fact. I'm working on it.

View attachment 137640
I do note one problem with your layout.

Since your track plans have a green baseboard, your actual baseboard is not the correct color.

Perhaps a coat of paint on the baseboard? That way your dragons would appear to be in the French countryside, instead of somewhere in the wooden desert?

Good morning all! Overcast and 47 heading for 56 and cloudy for the day.

Had a very enjoyable day yesterday. Besides it being Christmas, it was also my step-son's birthday and he hit the big 4-0. Today, my son in-law turns 42 and my oldest granddaughter turns 19. Can't believe any of them are as old as they are, especially for my granddaughter. I was only 37 when she was born, so I got to be a young grandpa and she was my little buddy. Now she's off living on her own with a boyfriend and I'm so proud of her. I miss hanging out with her too. We spent many many hours together playing with her Dora the Explorer toys and later doing other fun stuff.

I think everyone had a nice day yesterday. My wife cooked and cooked and cooked all day long and the meal was excellent. Everyone left full and happy.

Back to work today after having yesterday off. Hope you all have a great day!

Good morning y'all.

Flo- Coffee and bacon please.

As I type, it is presently 57 and hazy per the weather app. High today is 74. Going to enjoy a post Christmas hike in the woods with my son after church and lunch today. We were supposed to hit the woods last weekend, but it rained us out.

I hope everyone had a merry Christmas and enjoyed all the food and family gatherings.

I was gifted more cash for Christmas, so I suppose I'll order some more details for my buildings. Seems an appropriate way to spend gift money anyway.

Willie- We never speed in SC. I'm also selling a bridge if you know anyone who might be interested.

Chet- Glad to see you back in the coffee shop. My condolences on the loss of your layout. Have you considered possibly building dioramas or possibly even some commission work for others to remain active in the hobby?

I think I'm gonna go enjoy my coffee and figure out where to stimulate the economy next.

Y'all have a blessed day.

So instead of being at work by now, I'm parked alongside the highway with a blown out tire. Second time I've had that happen on my way to work in the last two years. The idiots who maintain the gravel road in front of my house love to go by dragging the road with a rake and dig up nails and other sharp objects all the time. Really helpful in that it makes sure I have flat tires on a regular basis. So now I'm sitting alongside the road waiting for a tow truck because I can't even change the tire the way I came to a stop. Happy day after Christmas LOL

Attachments

• 20211226_065723.jpg
    20211226_065723.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 63
So maybe my marriage is in trouble?

The wifeykins is encouraging me to stay out late and scope out lovelies. Hmmm.

Yep, she got me a telescope.

A telescope. We live in the burbs with predictable amount of light pollution. And old trees. And where does one store the 'scope? It's not a small footprint. Now, it is true that I have always had a passing interest in astronomy. And scoping the wonders of the heavens is cool! But I'm 61 and like my regular bedtime of 2130 to read for a bit and then try to sleep through the night. And all for the price of a decent DCC MILW NW2.

Still, she's a keeper. The wife, not sure about the 'scope.

Good morning gang!

We all survived Christmas again! All 5 of the kids and the spouses joined together to get the old man a 55 inch tv with a sound bar and subwoofer. We'll try to set that up today, then I can watch YouTube train videos on the big screen.
Spent a good bit of the day on several "some assembly required" projects for the younger parts of the clan, but hey, thats always Grandpa's Christmas.

Soylent Green my be people, but it may be the most appealing some have ever been.

Time for breakfast, 4 slices of Taylor Ham, 1 slice of melted cheddar and a fried egg on a bagel. Not that's a sammich!

BBL

Good Morning All. Another quite foggy morning with 58°, dense fog advisory until 10:00 am. At 81° yesterday, we didn't set the high temperature record, but it is interesting to note that it was warmer yesterday than it was on July 4 this year!. We may or may not break the record high for today of 82°, depending on when the fog actually lifts. Mid to upper 70's for the rest of the year. The skunk aroma is still lingering outside this morning; I need some wind today!

Thanks for all of the likes and comments regarding my various posts yesterday, here and on other threads.

Mexican Omelet and a tall OJ for me this morning Flo. After all, this is a diner!

Since the major Christmas gift exchange scheduled for yesterday has been postponed, I don't have a great amount of modeling booty yet. I have my son's gift that the brown Santa (UPS) brought by a few weeks ago. There's a Walther's Cornerstone kit of an Antiques Barn.
IMG_0073.JPG

And there was a Woodland Scenics animal figure set of cougars. Sorry Sherrel, they're the four-legged kind!
IMG_0072.JPG

They've already found a spot on the railroad for now.
IMG_0074.JPG

I did manage to spend a little time painting the concrete loading dock and window sills yesterday as well, on the DPM warehouse.
IMG_0077.JPG

Next up are the windows and then the mortar wash which will tone the brick color down somewhat. The dull coat didn't quite do the trick by itself.

Steve J - i used to raise Muscovy ducks that I butchered and ate. Sold some live ones to Orientals who would keep them in their apartments until they were ready to eat them. Muscovies are silent ducks so their neighbors wouldn't know that they were keeping them inside the apartment complex. They also dressed out at between five and six pounds. My business lasted for four years until one day they realized that there was a giant pool full of water there in the yard! They were tasty.
Jaz - I also plan to stay on Earth. The science behind space travel is somewhat fascinating though.
Tom O -
I could see Terry reducing actual working parts down to HO scale while I slept
Is she known as Lorena Bobbitt in a previous life?
OB Ken - That's a drag.

For those of you in the Commonwealth countries, today is known as Boxing Day. Nothing to do with brawling, just another of those made-up holidays I suppose. For us Catholics, it is the Feast of St. Stephen.
Everybody have a great day whichever one you celebrate if any at all. Stay safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning all,

Typical Sunday so far. Currently 49° headed for a high of 70° later today, but 38° for a high on Wednesday. Got to get the few groceries after a bit. We managed to get the kids to take most of the leftovers.

Kids got tired of us cooking in the tired old pot and pans so they got us new ones. I did get a few bucks for trains. It was a nice Christmas.

Bbl

I do note one problem with your layout.

Since your track plans have a green baseboard, your actual baseboard is not the correct color.

Perhaps a coat of paint on the baseboard? That way your dragons would appear to be in the French countryside, instead of somewhere in the wooden desert?
I have offered the suggestion he put the cacti back and add a bucket of dry sand.

Morning all,

Typical Sunday so far. Currently 49° headed for a high of 70° later today, but 38° for a high on Wednesday. Got to get the few groceries after a bit. We managed to get the kids to take most of the leftovers.

Kids got tired of us cooking in the tired old pot and pans so they got us new ones. I did get a few bucks for trains. It was a nice Christmas.

Bbl
So what are you tempted to spend you monetary windfall on

Good morning Shop Dwellers!

Wow, 8 more pages since my previous visit, didn't really have time to comment on any of them but I did "click the button" wherever I could. I had to pack my computer and peripherals away for the holiday festivities so my 1yr-old grandson wouldn't yank on the cords and pull it off the table.

In a major role reversal from 10 years ago, now that my kids all have good-paying jobs, they showered MHO and me with Christmas gifts! Most of my loot was clothing and other non-mrr stuff (I've told them NOT to buy me trains since they wouldn't understand exactly what I like); however, my 26yr-old daughter gave me a $100 gift certificate to Mainline Hobby Supply! :cool: She heard 'thru the grapevine' that MB Klein had deteriorated to a shadow of what it once was..

As soon as I finish typing this post, I'll be heading out to Westminster (passing within 1000ft of Karl's house) to see a huge holiday layout that the Four County club has set up in the town mall. Since so many businesses failed because of covid, they were able to rent a larger-than-average empty storefront for the display.

Cheers!

Good morning Global people. Good reading this morning. After I type this the IPadPro is going to be in a drawer for a couple hours. I did not sleep last night again as the sleep issues still persist. After Terry woke, she sat me down and I just woke from about 90 minutes of sleep.

Terrry was in the shower when her IPadPro, phone and laptop all went off. I went over to stop the alerts and the Nut Cracker at 1 this afternoon has been cancelled. The troupe has discovered Covid. The alert said refund or donate. I told Terry to donate she said you have no idea what I paid for 8 tickets. True, she thinks she will split 50/50. The 8 girls and 3 DS kids are still going to Brunch.

I am going to sit on the chair I slept the 90 minutes on with the TV as white noise. The son should wake around noon. He generally on weekends for as many years as i can remember slept 3@am or so to noon on weekends.

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back