Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all.

Flo- Coffee please, we seem to be having a cold front moving through. What's that, just in time for Christmas? Nah, it's supposed to be near 70 on Christmas day.

Haven't had time to keep up, catch up, or get ahead. Skimmed the thread, liked some pictures. Trying to finish the push to get the bulk of the week's workload finished today so that tomorrow is easier. Warehouse is going to be closed tomorrow and Friday, so if it ain't on the truck today, it ain't going. Drivers get Friday and Monday off, Looking forward to some time off after the hustle of the last 2 months.

Time to get ready. This coffee ain't gonna deliver itself.

Y'all have a blessed day.

267775677_309166531215136_113071243315878674_n.jpg

Good morning coffee shoppers!
I don’t get in here much (sign says no shirt no shoes Flo, absolutely no mention of pants)
Anyway just curious if anyone’s been in touch with Jerome at all?
No answer to texts, calls, or emails… hoping he’s ok!
Otherwise things are good up this way and looking forward to some (well earned and overdue) time off.
Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season and all the best in the new year!

Holy mackerel Andy! I missed so much the last couple of days.

I've been extremely busy. It's amazing how much I can get done when I feel a little better, thank God.

Christmas shopping, we ordered gift cards online and put them in Christmas cards, shopping and wrapping all done! I did buy some candy for my grandsons Christmas stockings. I also hope to get to the book store for some books for my boys. I like to buy books.
That's all for me, I'm sleepy!

Have a great night Everybody!
Can't watch your video in France because YT says so.:mad:

Good Morning, it's 6.00 am. still dark here and 39F
Here is a photo of 2 Loco's you may have heard of, and a quick potted history for those interested.
View attachment 137322

Both these loco's are actually the same one, Flying Scotsman. "The" Flying Scotsman actually refers to the train, not the engine itself. Some of you may well have seen her in 1969 when she did a near ill fated tour of the U.S. with the then owner Alan Pegler, (he bought her from British Rail for the princely sum of £3000). The one to the rear is the A1 class loco, as she was when she first entered service in 1923. After several upgrades including new boiler, piston valves, and smoke stacks, she was re-classed, (which is the loco in the foreground), as an A3, which is how she is preserved today at the National Steam Museum in York. She cost £7944.00 to build (£32600 in todays money) Was bought by the British steam museum for £2.3m who spent a further £4.5m to overhaul her, making her one of the most expensive steam locomotives in the world.
She still holds the record for the longest non stop run by a steam locomotive of 422miles while in Australia.
She holds the title for the first steam locomotive to reach 100mph, and the first locomotive to circumnavigate the world.
She has had several well known owners, among which are Sir William McAlpine and Pete Waterman.
4D4DDB83-06BA-4FB2-A380-701281412888.jpeg
more
E9394FE2-8168-4CF9-9EA9-2CF4756AD881.jpeg

I need some expert help here, I'm sure some of you will remember the C424 I have, that had the repaint stripped. (I can see why the previous owner tried a re-paint). I would like to keep it in similar condition but with light weathering, the problem I have is the original colour, on certain areas it seems to have worn away especially on the rear, as you can see in the foto's, I can't find a matching blue so I'm thinking of just going with lots of rust to cover it over, but I think that would look terrible, (blue Loco, with a brown nose and arse???) Does anyone know what actual colour Conrail used or a way I can cover it without it looking like it's a wreck. Your help would be appreciated.
View attachment 137334View attachment 137335View attachment 137336
If the paint that was pointed out fails to work, I can definitely do a rust class,you’ll need a reference picture for me to work from,does not need to match the specific areas just any dirt excessive dirt fading or rust colours so I can evaluate options

Good morning all! 29 degrees here heading for sunny and 37. Up early to head back into work this morning and feeling pretty wiped out. My Diabetes doctor called me yesterday to say she was concerned over some labs I had drawn last week. Turns out I'm anemic, so that might help explain why I'm so dead tired all the time. My work and work hours don't help that either. Gotta start taking iron and Vitamin C twice a day to hopefully turn that problem around.

Working 4 days straight, off Christmas and then work 4 more days straight. Then I get a 4 day weekend! A couple weeks later I have some vacation time I had to use or lose, so maybe some rest is on the horizon.

As I usually do when the weather allows, I had lunch in the park again yesterday. The park sits right beside the old B&O line which is little used these days. Lately I've been happy to see a little movement there as I often see two engines with a few cars heading east or west. I figure they're just hauling cars off somewhere to the east for storage or retrieving them, as I don't believe there is any regular freight heading back and forth on that line these days. I work in Indiana near the Illinois border (and live in Illinois). This old B&O line continues on west into Illinois. To my knowledge, CSX only has one customer on the Illinois side, a Continental Grain and Barge facility and at times you'll see a grain train come east to Indiana. The line has no traffic these days west of the CG&B facility.

Nothing else to report. Hope you all have a great day!
Ken - I had the sleep issue a year ago or so. Didn't realize that you are Diabetic - Type II? Anyway, how is your water intake? Water, not coffee, gator aid or the like. Are you keeping OVER hydrated? That fixed it for me and now I sleep like a baby. Well, most of the time as I still have that busy brain issue on occasion.

Good Morning!
I made the mistake of tuning into the 6 o'clock news yesterday! Found out that Rudolf the Red-nose Reindeer isn't real! - Shame on them for telling that story and letting the cat out on the kids.

Not a bad morning with the temps at 16F. Sadly, a dangerous cold front is moving in for Christmas. It will be -30F in a day or so. - For now, I just have to put up with shoveling the newly fallen snow. It's ok to be cold on Christmas; we are staying home, and it's just another day.

The park sits right beside the old B&O line which is little used these days. Lately I've been happy to see a little movement there as I often see two engines with a few cars heading east or west. I figure they're just hauling cars off somewhere to the east for storage or retrieving them, as I don't believe there is any regular freight heading back and forth on that line these days.
OBTC - Perhaps you could take and post a photo. I would enjoy a photo.

I most likely won't be taking photos of the rails anytime soon. Now that I'm a bit older, the cold seems to affect me more. Walking the dog and snow-shoveling in this weather is hard enough.

The Cafe' is completed. Here are some reveal photos, that will be the last photos of this structure you will see; unless it's seen on the layout:
Cafe_12-21-2021 (1).jpg

Cafe_12-21-2021 (2).jpg

Cafe_12-21-2021 (3).jpg

Cafe_12-21-2021 (4).jpg

Well, I suppose I'd better get outside and shovel. I'll likely be doing that twice today, as we are supposed to get 4" of fresh white. I want to have it done before the cold front drops in.

Have a great day, and if I don't see you again, 'Merry Christmas!' to all!

Good Morning!
I made the mistake of tuning into the 6 o'clock news yesterday! Found out that Rudolf the Red-nose Reindeer isn't real! - Shame on them for telling that story and letting the cat out on the kids.

Not a bad morning with the temps at 16F. Sadly, a dangerous cold front is moving in for Christmas. It will be -30F in a day or so. - For now, I just have to put up with shoveling the newly fallen snow. It's ok to be cold on Christmas; we are staying home, and it's just another day.

OBTC - Perhaps you could take and post a photo. I would enjoy a photo.

I most likely won't be taking photos of the rails anytime soon. Now that I'm a bit older, the cold seems to affect me more. Walking the dog and snow-shoveling in this weather is hard enough.

The Cafe' is completed. Here are some reveal photos, that will be the last photos of this structure you will see; unless it's seen on the layout:
View attachment 137397
View attachment 137398
View attachment 137399
View attachment 137400

Well, I suppose I'd better get outside and shovel. I'll likely be doing that twice today, as we are supposed to get 4" of fresh white. I want to have it done before the cold front drops in.

Have a great day, and if I don't see you again, 'Merry Christmas!' to all!
Guy, that is a terrible story. I went to a Catholic grade school and in 1st grade the nun told us that Santa wasn’t
real. Traumatized the whole class. Mom told the story years later that many of the parents were upset and went to the principal who said the teacher was right there is no Santa. Parents then went to the priest who said the school workings were hers and he wasn’t going to fight with her. A few years later they both left the church, he married her!

Great diner pictures
Be safe shoveling and Merry 🎅 Christmas to you and the family
TomO

If the paint that was pointed out fails to work, I can definitely do a rust class,you’ll need a reference picture for me to work from,does not need to match the specific areas just any dirt excessive dirt fading or rust colours so I can evaluate options
Great, that would be a big help thanks Jaz, I have found a company in the U.S. that does the Conrail logo's, they do post overseas (a lot less than half the cost of the paint) If that comes to fruition, I may try and mix my own, and do a complete repaint, :eek: :eek: :eek: If not, the rust bucket it will become.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Clear and 38° today.I cannot stay long as I am having a terrible reaction to the Covid booster yesterday. At least that's what I think it is. Major chills and everything aches but the spot of the jab! Maybe I'll be feeling better later, meanwhile the grocery trek has been postponed.
Hi Willie, It has been reported that some people are not having a good reaction to the booster, but you will be feeling better tomorrow, last's 12-24hrs at most.

Good beautifully cold morning from So. Central Wisconsin. The wind chill is at 4f degrees. Winter has proven it has arrived, it may leave at anytime now.

After vacuum duty I will be in the train room today. Lots to do to get ready for some guests who usually ask to see the layout. The grandkids are off school for a couple weeks starting today and the 8 yr. Old grandson said he will help me straighten out the room.

I added a couple forums to be viewed in my daily start up after purging so many sites online and in Facebook. I think I will review what more sites can be purged.

Have a great day.
TomO

yes, I know I have posted this one a few times but it helps convey the season to me.
7B4C9B2C-E502-4CB4-971C-F639B50E7C67.jpeg

Good morning coffee shoppers!
I don’t get in here much (sign says no shirt no shoes Flo, absolutely no mention of pants)
Anyway just curious if anyone’s been in touch with Jerome at all?
No answer to texts, calls, or emails… hoping he’s ok!
Otherwise things are good up this way and looking forward to some (well earned and overdue) time off.
Wishing everyone a safe and happy holiday season and all the best in the new year!
I quirred TERRY about JEROME a couple days back.
TERRY said that he had seen him on a couple gaming sites - that is all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back