Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karl, my mother also counted ceramics among her hobbies. Camping and crocheting were the other two. I still have some bits and pieces she and my father made floating around the house.
Dig them out and see if you could use them, maybe put them up on the tree, always nice to have something from our own childhood to remind us especially at Christmas.
My family has what's turned out to be a tradition, started by my great grandparents. Every child has to make something for the tree, and for each other sibling, so as you grow older every child has something from their brothers or sisters to hang on their own family tree. Still do it, and I've passed it on to my kids.

Well, howdy there, internet people, including those of you not entrenched in a bathroom remodel.

It's Troy again.

From the incomplete bathroom again.

Almost there. So close I could have called the plumbing complete last night. Except for one thing.

Troy's memory.

The drain-line for the sink. Seems I cut off the Marvel adapter or whatever it's called and forgot to add it to my parts list.

I'm now at three runs to one store, and another run to a second store. One run included returns. Another run was for the new faucet. We'd planned to use the old faucet, but the new sink top has wide holes, not the 4" on center. So, after pizza hut last night (yes, we're in a town where the older sit-down restaurant versions of the Hut are still appreciated), I made the spousal unit select a new faucet.

Even then, I didn't know I needed the Marvel adapter. Oh, and a tailpipe extender.

Didn't realize this until I'm under the sink, starting to attach all the drain parts.

Oh, and I forgot to mark which CPVC pipe was the Hot v Cold. And I purchased both Blue and Red Pex to color-code them.

Fortunately, I'm using Sharkbite connectors at that end. I'm hooking one up, see if it's hot or cold. I can pop it off the sharkbite, trim the end of the PEX, and move it if necessary. Logic says the cold should be on the right, but...

Oh, and Lowes only had 10 ft of blue PEX in stock, and no attendant around to cut me a 5-foot section. So I have LOTS of extra PEX.

Anyone know of a good modelling use for left over PEX?

Jesse- That meme is so true. It was 82 F in central FL today.
The last winter I lived though before moving from Jacksonville to North Carolina saw a day with a high of 94 in the middle of January. This was 1998 and in my opinion exemplifies the absurdity of the state and weather in the south in general.
I think it's time to remind everybody about Bob's rules against Political and Religious discussion. We're all acting like adults, and nothing has gotten nasty, or even close to it, but rules is rules. I don't want anybody to log in and find half of their posts are gone if Bob happens to peek in...
I think the one thing we can all agree on, regardless of sides, is that politics ruins everything eventually.

Good morning y'all. It was a wet weekend from start to finish, but I managed to fit in a trip to Spartanburg with my son to visit the Hub City Railroad Museum. He got to see Santa, we saw some trains, had an overall good time in spite of the weather. No modeling though. Hopefully that will change this week.

Flo- I'll be in the corner, coffee and bacon please.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Good morning gang
26° and clear, only going to 43°. Looks like its going to be a fire up the woodstove night, but then, it is December.
20141228_212412.jpg

BBL

Morning all,

Well no trains yesterday. After moving bedroom furniture to get at the remains of many a small furry critter (Can't call them dust bunnies when they are the size of elephants, can I?). We stopped for lunch and #2 daughter called and said they were done with the dishwasher, can I come pick it up? When they moved to a rental house, they bought an inexpensive dishwasher to get them by as the new house they were building had a new more top of the line one. At thanksgiving they heard us talking about having to get a new one and said, we'll give you our cheap one when we move to the new house, so yesterday was the day. I also packed up a truckload of her stuff that we've been storing since they got married, and took that to them. Once I unloaded, I went to the rental and we loaded the dishwasher, (It was never installed, the SIL just ran extended water and drain lines to it) and some more stuff to take to the new house. I then waited a bit and took the oldest to dad's house as the daughter looked a bit tired as they had been moving and trying to put stuff away as it got to the new house. I got back home about 7:30 last night and fixed a sandwich for supper and went to bed.

I am taking Wednesday off as the others in the department have next week off. I'll go up to see mom on Wednesday, maybe take her out for lunch, and give her the gift from the old fat man...lol We're closed Thursday and Friday, so a 5-day weekend. Then I work 4 short days and have a 3-day weekend.

Still on my agenda for the Holiday season is watching two of my favorite Christmas Movies: A Christmas Story and Hogfather. Jaz and Smudge617 may be familiar with Hogfather. If not it is based on the book of the same title by Terry Pratchett. FWIW the book is better...

I just remembered, today is a short day due to the holidays.

BBL

Good chilly morning all. Lots of football this week with the makeup games for those who were sick and couldn't play Sunday.
Gotta go into town to finish up the Christmas shopping today. Trying to find an extra long, medium size winter jacket for my G son. He's 6'6" but weighs about 170. On line shopping won't deliver it till after Christmas. Have to find a big and tall store.
I'll be doing a Toy Run on Monday, 27 Dec for anybody who got new train stuff for Christmas. Got some takers already so I'm setting up the empire for primarily coal and intermodal traffic. I took all the intermodal stuff off the layout for the last op session. Now, setting it back up is turning into a major job. If it was just a few strings of well or spine cars, no problem, but I'm setting up about 20 or so of them, with containers and vans.
I figured out how to split the intermodal facility area into a power plant for the coal service along with the intermodal service. That will expand the industries to 15 now.

KEN D&J -- That's brilliant.

IB KEN --
Thanks - Nothing new to report. He is bored and wants to go home - not a wise choice at this time as he has pneumonia, but I think a mild case? I am getting my news through the EX as he and his wife don't want to hear what I think. I have decided that it is his problem and "he" can deal with it.
Sherrel I understand where you are coming from on the sick son. My suggestion especially since I feel you are right is “forget” that you are right. It is hard as I have been there and done that. Contact him and don’t let your internally correct feelings win out.

Isn’t life grand
TomO

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 40° and the radar shows that it's raining here. However I have walked outside and it is not. NWS has added rain to this mornings forecast; it wasn't there yesterday on that forecast that I posted!?!?!? That radar actually shows snow across the Red River in Oklahoma. Doubt that anything is sticking though. The rain appears to be mostly east and southeast of here, with ice in Shreveport LA. Otherwise no change noted for the ten day forecast. Note to myself: Let the fire in the heater go out Thursday and remove ashes Friday when there are no embers. Always easier with no embers.
Helped wrap Christmas gifts yesterday and continued to tidy the place up. The living room which has been my wife's base for the surgery recovery is slowly recovering itself. All of the medical supplies have now been removed since dressing doesn't have to be changed daily. Still have the piles of pillows that she needs to keep herself elevated, but those will be gone by Thursday. For the third or fourth time, she has changed her mind regarding the Christmas tree, so it's back in the box. I have my Christmas Train Tree up and we have an 18" tall living tree up though.
We also went to Denton last night to eat at Red Lobster. It was the last day of 25% off for Dine Rewards members which I am one. The knee held out once again with just the cane. She still uses the walker around the house because I installed a basket to act as hands as she travels about. Slowly but surely life is returning to a more normal state.

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding the layout pictures yesterday; OB Ken, Christian, Sherrel, Louis, Smudge, Steve J, Hughie, Rick, Tom O, Jaz, Gary, Tom, Karl, Guy, Dave, Chad, Patrick.

I'll take the old standby today Flo, two eggs over easy and a handful of bacon with a tall OJ to wash it down with.

Another Sunday out in the train shed yesterday, always a short day there. I did finish attaching the remaining feeders and track down and started on the DPM modular wall structure.
This is the front sections and part of the left side.
IMG_0061.JPG

I decided to just go with all window sections on the ground floor rather than wait on my next trip to the LHS next week for blank walls. The structure will be two sections deep and four across the back. The right side will be stepped rather than angled to eliminate the need to cut wall sections to get the length needed for the angled wall.

Terry - Thanks for letting some of the discussions go as far as you (and other moderators) allowed them to go. I think that everyone was very civil and there was a lot of informative comments. But you're right about some might have exceeded Bob's guidelines and he will be dropping in more during the holidays.
Speaking of moderators, what's up with Willis? Hadn't seen him in over two years. And Tony the wombat has been absent for three years except a single post about a week ago on a different thread. I hope that all is well with both of them.
Jaz - I'll have to give that other forum a look. I looked briefly yesterday and bookmarked it, but my present loyalties are here. I am actually a member of four or five other forums that I no longer post on, mainly because I just don't need to spend all day on the Internet. Easy to do with all of the fine videos, especially the cab-ride ones, as well as the other forums. And the news feeds, and the music videos, etc. Too much since I also have another life besides sitting in front of a screen.
Troy - I had a similar issue when my wife wanted the main bathroom remodeled after we had the master bath done. She picked out a vanity without regards to the plumbing coming out of the wall. I was able to deal with the water supply differences easily with the flex tubing, but the drain piping resembles something that M.C. Escher might have designed. I also had to remove the back of the vanity, since the prefabbed opening didn't line up.
Gary - That's a classic picture of your tree in front of that window overlooking the snowy landscape.
Christian - Another great blues musician, Gary Moore.
Willie - Very interesting. Thanks.
Rock & Roll history including blues, is my second passion. I have over 2500 contributions to Wikipedia articles. Most cover the time frame of 1955-1988. Indeed, I have over 65,000 mp3's as well (350GB's), 72 of them are Gary Moore.
Joe - Even though I only see them when passing through the living room, I now recognize many of those Hallmark Christmas movies. They're on year-round in my house it seems.
Greg - It appears that your bar is going to get a lot of use coming up if the Packers stay on track. As I recall, it's in the Packer Room?
Mike - The snow looks good.

Everybody have a great day and if applicable, don't work too hard. Stay warm and safe.

So here we are nearing the end of another day, and all is well in the world, or at least in my train room (read bedroom)
Decided to carry on and do a few more jobs around that I hadn't got around to.
First, decided to "upgrade" this old girl, and she is old 'ish, (pre 1973) to DCC.
(Sorry, Yes it's British, Yes, it's OO scale and Yes, I don't care :))
View attachment 137194

Then finish off putting some foam in the bottom of my storage boxes to keep their toes, eerrrmmm I mean wheels warm.
View attachment 137198View attachment 137199View attachment 137200

Finish wiring up and wiring in my two aspect ground turnout lights
View attachment 137201

And for the grand finale, turn this ugly duckling.
View attachment 137202

Into this clean machine.
View attachment 137203

Thanks for all the suggestions on how to remove the old paint, didn't use any of them I'm afraid. Mr Muscle Drain cleaner works well too.
Personally I don’t care what Scale you model in! I don’t care if you model railways from the East side of the Atlantic Ocean, east or west of the River Nile or the railroads of Japan or the Northern American continent.
what I am saying is and feel 95% of the modelers on here would agree with me. We are modelers, global modelers and all railroad type modeling is to be welcome here.

Post pictures of your RR models and associated stuff and all is good.

Tom

My O My! Freezing out here! Temp has snuck down to 33F this morning - the good news is that it will be up to 67F later on. Believe it - weather folks are preparing us for 5 days of possible rainfall starting Wednesday.

I have to do a little more shopping today - need another gift for the Better Half! Tonight is dinner at the BIL's where he is excited about cooking some cold water salmon from Scotland which he says has a greater oil content. Brad has leukemia and according to his white blood count - he should have died years ago, but thru special foods and doctors from Houston, Boston, Chicago, and other hospitals including the "stickum" Chinese guys, he is still a ball of energy! Anyway we are looking forward to an extra special dinner.

No additional word from the son; he is still in the hospital - alert and wanting to go home, but still feels bad.
I will wait to hear from the EX this morning.

Have to get the recycle barrel out to the curb this morning ... BBL!

Joe - Even though I only see them when passing through the living room, I now recognize many of those Hallmark Christmas movies. They're on year-round in my house it seems.
Willie: Even Beth admits to seeing most of them multiple times. She says that artistically, they all suck, but she likes to watch them...

Sherrel: Prayers for your son...it is a serious ailment. FWIW, I'm on second son's case now, because he hasn't got his booster yet. He lives / works in the land of anti-vax so there is a lot of peer pressure there. On a related note, Moderna stock is way up this morning in the pre-market trading, because a new study established their vaccine works against all the variant. Boy, did I miss the boat on that stock. :eek:

Karl: That is one cool critter. Back in the day, each manufacturer had a critter, Mantua had a Plymouth, Athearn the ("High Speed") Hustler. Penn Line's was the best looking / running one out there.

Terry: Thanks for the reminder....

Just received a text message that the Market opened down (opened 3 minutes ago at time of this writing), the unusual, (IMHO), thing about the message, is it was written in past tense, like one would expect after 4PM close of trading. WTF? Many things can happen between 9:30 AM and 4 PM.

Actually got cold overnight 21°, on the porch. Coldest night of the season. It is Winter, after all.

MP54E consist at West Yard, DE Facebook Photo.jpg

MP54E coaches at West Yard in 1982. These appear to be stored pending disposal. I had the dubious honor of riding the last ever deadhead under power move, between Surburban Station, (Philadelphia), and West yard, (Wilmington, DE), as a Road Foreman in 1982. I actually have a few photos of that trip, that I should scan.

Ugh - - survived the weekend. The Friday night Wake turned out to be a formal worship service. Din't get home until 2300. Back at the church by 0800. Funeral preps, funeral, burial (in the 25F temps) and then back for an African luncheon banquet that was astoundingly delicious even if I had no idea what exactly I was consuming. One dish, I think was either pig knuckles or feet in a rich dark-green sauce over white rice. ANother was beef and rice. Another was fish marinated, sauced and grilled or roasted. All the meat was prepared ala African style. IOW merely chopped through the bone with a cleaver. So lots of bone and gristle that we North American consider beneath our culinary tastes. When I was in Hong Kong with the Navy - - the real Asian vendors also prepared/served it that way. All the Liberians kept asking me if it was too hot or spicy! Kept reminding them that I grew up in Texas and thought the spicing was right tasty!

Unfortunately, we blew something in the church sound system. Yep - the week before Christmas. Trying to get a guy my VFW uses to come out and look at it.

Was brain-dead Saturday night and yesterday. Feeling better today. Oldest dau came over Sat. evening with her fiance for steaks. They would not let me grill but did the steaks stovetop in black iron skillets. Was good. I was careful with whisky and wine but the evening was still a fog, was so tired and spent. Trying to chill a bit today as well, but if we can get someone to look at the sound system, we must!

Later all, Steve J

Well, howdy there, internet people, including those of you not entrenched in a bathroom remodel.

It's Troy again.

From the incomplete bathroom again.

Almost there. So close I could have called the plumbing complete last night. Except for one thing.

Troy's memory.

The drain-line for the sink. Seems I cut off the Marvel adapter or whatever it's called and forgot to add it to my parts list.

I'm now at three runs to one store, and another run to a second store. One run included returns. Another run was for the new faucet. We'd planned to use the old faucet, but the new sink top has wide holes, not the 4" on center. So, after pizza hut last night (yes, we're in a town where the older sit-down restaurant versions of the Hut are still appreciated), I made the spousal unit select a new faucet.

Even then, I didn't know I needed the Marvel adapter. Oh, and a tailpipe extender.

Didn't realize this until I'm under the sink, starting to attach all the drain parts.

Oh, and I forgot to mark which CPVC pipe was the Hot v Cold. And I purchased both Blue and Red Pex to color-code them.

Fortunately, I'm using Sharkbite connectors at that end. I'm hooking one up, see if it's hot or cold. I can pop it off the sharkbite, trim the end of the PEX, and move it if necessary. Logic says the cold should be on the right, but...

Oh, and Lowes only had 10 ft of blue PEX in stock, and no attendant around to cut me a 5-foot section. So I have LOTS of extra PEX.

Anyone know of a good modelling use for left over PEX?
I work at a Lowe's and we don't cut PEX at our store. However, we do sell 5 an 10 foot sections. I guess different regions have different products and services.

Good morning all! A frosty 32 and sunny heading for sunny and 43 for the day. Thanks to our silly scheduling I'm off work again today after working only one day after my previous two days off. No big plans for the day. I have 3 new faucets to install around the house, two for bathrooms and one for the kitchen sink and I may get to at least some of those today. Troy is making me question whether or not I want to dive into any plumbing today 🤣
Hope you all have a great day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back