Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
FB_IMG_1639796483841.jpg

Ugh…. I am helping the wife get ready for our family Christmas party tomorrow, I enjoy helping so no big deal…. but I have to keep walking by the layout that has been sitting idle for a month or so, terribly difficult not to stop for a few and get a couple things done!!! lol Keep telling myself “you’ll be back to it soon enough”, but oh man I am ready for soon to be now lol

Good morning y'all.

It appears I will never catch up, so we're just gonna do the next best thing a keep a-rollin'.

Flo- Coffee, bacon, and buttered toast with strawberry jam please. Because no day can truly begin until the coffee and bacon are consumed.

Let's start with the weather. It's supposed to be high 60s to low 70s all weekend, but there is a 50% chance of rain today and a 60% tomorrow. Normally this would be a downer, but the detail parts for the service station arrived yesterday and I should have the first 2 new buildings today. So, it may work out for good. And after the last 3 weeks, I'll take some down time, This week wrapped up a 126 hour pay period which included a two week run of being out of town and a hard push this week to get ahead for the 4 day week next week.

That being said, there has been no modeling progress this week as most evenings have ended with me falling asleep in my recliner after dinner and a little time with the family.

I'm going to try to catch up on posts.

Good Morning, after a couple of cool days.
The weather guesser threatened with -40F temps yesterday, but luckily he was off. - It only got to -39.5F in some areas. We thought it was going to get cold, according to the weather guy.
Todays not so bad; says -7F on my outside thermometer. I know the thermometer is broke, but, I still trust it more than the weather guy with his millions worth of equipment.

Miss a couple of days of coming into the shop, and get yourself 10 pages behind. That's a good sign lot's of folks like the chit-chat and Mel's cooking. Personally, I might be an intermittent customer with Christmas coming up. The wife is on holiday and wants to do more than I feel like, but, I'll give it a try.

Here's a photo I found from earlier times, and thought it might make a good reference photo. It looks like a very clear photo, considering it's captioned as a pic from 1915:
Dunmore, Alberta_1915.jpg

I haven't been taking any photos lately; and with the wife on holiday's it don't look like I'll be taking lots of photos in the near future. So, I can only wish you all a wonderful Christmas season, and hope I'll see you another time.

Have a great day!!

Good Morning All. Mostly cloudy and 51°, quite a bit chillier than the past few days. Looks like the thunderstorm finally came through around 0100, but the thunder was faint and I only received .25" in the gauge. Temperature will remain the same all day before dropping to freezing or below tonight. North wind picking up to over 20 mph in a little while will make for a bitter day. No real improvement for the next few days although the wind will abate after sundown today. Currently it looks like 70° and above starting Wednesday with 77° predicted for Christmas Day and Sunday. No white Christmas here. Still a comfortable 75° in the house, but I project starting a fire in the wood-burning heater around midday. Yesterday, I made sure that I had two days of dry firewood in the house in anticipation of the rain, which is now a moot point since it didn't rain much and the wind will dry what's outside in a matter of hours. In all likelihood, only the top layer got damp anyway.

I did spend about an hour yesterday on the mower. Not so much for cutting the grass, but for vacuuming and chopping the leaves into the grass catcher for use in the garden next spring. If all goes as scheduled and this is an average winter, I should be planting onions, radishes, lettuce and spinach in about 45 days.

Meat-lovers omelet today Flo. OJ and raisin toast to go with it.

Thanks very much for th e likes and comments regarding yesterday's lowly post; Steve J, OB Ken, Karl, Christian, Joe, Mikey, Guy, Troy, Chad, Jaz, Hughie, Louis, Tom H, Rick, Tom O, Tom.

Out in the train shed yesterday, it was track laying trial and error. Since he area is all going to be little used spurs to industries, I used an accumulation of leftover sectional track from my earliest days of modeling. I have even included two pieces of brass track.
First was the completion of the spur into the loading area of the brewery and the switch to the other spur tracks.
IMG_0055.JPG

The actual track into the loading area is code 70, and I had to jury-rig the connection to the code 100. Despite filing a bit, there is still a small bump which will not matter in the overall scheme of things.
Then I moved on to the remaining spur which has another switch installed to split it into two.
IMG_0056.JPG

Other end.
IMG_0057.JPG

I have determined that I am going to use four sets of feeders for the entire area and I got started by cutting to length,striping and then tinning the first two pairs.
IMG_0059.JPG

Admittedly I am the worst solderer in America, but I actually improve each time.
Next is to remove everything, replace all of the temporary rail joiners with brand new ones, relay the track and fasten down; and connect feeders.
Meanwhile I need to determine what to do with the parcel of land between the brewery and the electronic controls factory and decide what to do with it. No rush at this time. I'll wait until next year at the earliest.
IMG_0058.JPG

I have 18" along the track side and the right side, 12" along the left and 9" along the front, some of all of it will be "space". I am going to look at my inventory of DPM wall kits and proceed with using them. In the interim, I can still add ground covering to everything pictured this morning. after fastening the track of course.

James- Thank you for the information. I don't need more of them, or bumpers either. I was just trying to find out about their mounting orientation. It appears that I have them at least right side up.
Jesse -
I think, and this may be a little radical, that every politician that has been in office since before the internet was a thing should get the same treatment as a lame horse. Taken out and shot. But what do I know, I'm just the one who gets screwed over by them and their policies.
But those guys/gals actually got things accomplished!
Chad/James - While our gas price seems cheap to others, it's still $1/gal higher than a year ago.
Terry -
I’d say we have nowhere to go but up, but I fear somebody would take that as a challenge..
The philosophy of the majority party in Congress seems to be that if it seems like a bad piece of legislation, Just put a different spin on the same thing and charge through again.

Everyone have an awesome weekend and a wonderful day. Just seven days until Christmas. PM me for the address to send model RR presents to.
Stay safe.

Big funeral this morning, Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Lord give me strength.

Wake Service last night. I am not familiar with the Liberian Community, so of course got preps wrong. I thought it was to be an informal affair, so planned to have it downstairs in our fellowship hall. No, it was a formal worship (Wake) service complete with music, readings, prayers and lots of great music. So last minute, we switched the venue upstairs to the sanctuary. I am flexible!

Currently at 15F with 3 inches of new snow. When we go to the cemetery for burial, the temp will have risen all the way to 20F with 10mph wind. Brrr! Then a meal fellowship to follow, and of course regular Sunday worship tomorrow. I'm taking Monday off!

Blessings to all this 4th week of Advent. Ok guys, I know you've been itching, but you'll be glad you waited. It is now time to start Christmas SHOPPPPPPIIINNNNGGGGGGG ! ! ! !

Good morning y'all. 43°, cloudy and wet at the Jersey Shore. One week to go before Christmas. As Pastor Steve mentioned, tomorrow is the Fourth Sunday of Advent.

We are still planning on traveling to the North Country to spend Christmas with my son and family. The Covid 19 news gets more gruesome by the minute, but I'm not sure anyone is paying attention...

The problem with being the majority party in Congress, is that they know is only a matter of time before they become the minority party in Congress. Both sides have experienced role reversals in recent years. Each side has their master so serve, and must deliver or risk future contributions. The dilemma is that in order to do so, they have to deceive the true believers that voted them in in the first place...not always an easy task...Politics is truly the art of the possible.

Breakfast this morning was oat meal and coffee...that didn't agree with me. ☹️ ☹️

Caps beat Winnipeg 5-2 in regulation last night. I gave up at the second intermission, shortly after the Caps had blown the lead. I'm happy they pulled it out.

PRR #13 @ Ulrichsville OH 1966.jpg

PRR Train #13 Ulrichsville, OH in 1966 - Facebook sourced photo. Note lead E8 (Class EP22), has been renumbered, but is still equipped with Trainphone. #13 ran as a Mail Train, Philadelphia to Pittsburgh, and as a Passenger train, Pittsburgh to St. Louis.

When I retired the first time, I changed from drinking black coffee to drinking it with powdered cream and blue sugar. No idea why.
CURT - DRANK black coffee all my life until retired ... then present Spousal Unit presented me with the creamer 'French Vanilla' and now I am stuck on it - actually like the 'Cold Stone' the best -- no sweetener, just one small spoon of the creamer. FYI I cannot stand the powdered creamers and will do without!

Good morning all! Rainy and 40 and probably going to stay that way today. Not much going on here. My wife and I did a little bit of Christmas shopping yesterday, but otherwise didn't do a whole lot. Gave the dog a bath yesterday morning since she apparently rolled in something that smelled horrifically bad. One bath didn't get it, so she got another one last night. I can still smell whatever it was a little bit even today, but at least it's a little more bearable.

@santafewillie I think I could easily challenge you for the title of worst solderer.

Guess I'm going to go get my Covid booster and Flu shots today. Yippee!
Hope you all have a great day!

Big funeral this morning, Ladies and Gentlemen, Dear Lord give me strength.

Wake Service last night. I am not familiar with the Liberian Community, so of course got preps wrong. I thought it was to be an informal affair, so planned to have it downstairs in our fellowship hall. No, it was a formal worship (Wake) service complete with music, readings, prayers and lots of great music. So last minute, we switched the venue upstairs to the sanctuary. I am flexible!

Currently at 15F with 3 inches of new snow. When we go to the cemetery for burial, the temp will have risen all the way to 20F with 10mph wind. Brrr! Then a meal fellowship to follow, and of course regular Sunday worship tomorrow. I'm taking Monday off!

Blessings to all this 4th week of Advent. Ok guys, I know you've been itching, but you'll be glad you waited. It is now time to start Christmas SHOPPPPPPIIINNNNGGGGGGG ! ! ! !
SteveJ, Well go for it. It is much more fun and exciting though IMO to shop between noon and 5 pm on 12/24.

For the 1st 13 years of marriage the window manufacturer I worked for gave out the Christmas bonus at 11am on 12/24. We were off at noon. If you were off that day for ANY reason there was no bonus for you. Wages for the month, yes the month were paid on the 30th. I got hired and then was told we got paid once a month. Took a few months to get used to that and that is when Terry said I like it this way. Thankfully Terry was paid on the 15th and 30th. Anyway, I always used 1/2 that money for Terry’s presents. It is a habit now and I love shopping still on Christmas Eve day but now it is just stocking stuffers for her and she is my bonus now!

TomO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back