Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be worth checking eBay for second hand as you are up against the wall, or if there is a sellers area in the railway forums you use ask if people have the stuff to u need or part thereof.
I have, unfortunately or weirdly even, there is a lot of Kato around, in N gauge but very little in HO, so far I've found only two pieces in the UK for the 424, and I'm going from a b/w diagram, it looks right, but.....I've had this problem before, parts looked a perfect match in the picture, didn't fit.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 59°, headed up to 74° later. Then December-like changes. Thunderstorms this afternoon and then shortly after midnight a severe wind shift from the north and the high tomorrow of 50°. Then four nights in a row near or below freezing before returning to the 70's Thursday for the Christmas weekend. Dry in the forecast for ten days except for this afternoon. The radar loop shows minor showers passed near but not here in the last hour. I'll need to go out and put the cover on the grill and move the shredder and chainsaw into the shed.

Another mostly successful weekly grocery trip yesterday. Shelves were mostly well stocked and store was mostly uncrowded. No line at the checkout and I had the credit card this week. However my wife's brand of iced coffee was out at three places that I went to. So she got dark roast this week instead of medium roast. Masking looks to be down to about 30% of customers and 95%+ for employees at all places that I went. That is except at the small town Dollar General nearby, where they never really masked up since the beginning of the panic. Gas at nearby stations went up by 5¢/gal since I gassed up Tuesday, now $2.80.

We went out to eat at our favorite Italian Bistro last night. Wife went exclusively and unassisted with the cane, even after we split a bottle of wine. Except that I did open the doors and help her up the porch steps. So progress is being made.

Thanks to all fellow patrons for the likes and comments regarding what is to become the next project; Christian, Sherrel, Karl, Joe, Steve J, Gary, Louis, Jaz, George, Tom O, Hughie, Patrick, James, Mikey, Curt, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, Tom H.

Apple-chicken sausage and two over easy eggs this morning Flo. Something a little different. OJ and whole wheat English Muffin on the side.

Nothing out in the train shed yesterday. Yes, nothing. I went out briefly, but cut it short so we could go out to eat before the crowd. I do have a question regarding end of track wheel stops or chocks. I have the following pair; I don't remember where I got them or do I have the instructions.
IMG_0054.JPG

Several questions, firstly do they have a specific name??
How do they attach?? Which side faces the wheels and which side faces off-track?? A picture might be helpful, I have been unsuccessful with the internet so far. I think that I have them right side up in the picture, but I am not sure.

OB Ken - Sorry to read about the loss of your modeling friend, and your late friend at the Police Department.
Despite all of the oil pumped and refined here in Texas, there are five other states with a lower per gallon gasoline tax. However at 20¢/gallon, we are a lot better off than CA, Pennsylvania or Washington at 50¢+.
Jesse - Good to read that you're pumping up the economy.
Tom O -
walking into Hiawatha is like being in a candy store for model train guys
I find that true at my LHS, Discount Model Railroads down in Addison TX. While they have a website, they remain in the last century with no online ordering. When I asked the owner about that, his comment was that they don't need the added expense (website development, shipping and handling, potential extra employee, and inventory storeroom); and they have more than enough walk-in business to do well. He admits that they probably could increase their sales though.
Those 2 generations want life to be fun and exciting and the word diet isn’t part of that.
I grew up in the 50's-70's and my life was fun and exciting. Maybe it's because my face wasn't stuck to a phone or tablet screen!!!
Christian - An Atlas Controller will also work for reversing loops. Neither it or the Twin are automatic so you have to pay attention to what you are doing. I have a couple of old ones, but I purposely designed the current (and last) layout without reversing sections in it.
Greg - New years train resolutions. I have had the same one for many years now, "FINISH MORE SCENERY". It's one that I have been able to accomplish. It's obviously open-ended.
Chad -
I am not sure that the guy delivering to the store is the guy to ask about the corporate strategy for products.
That's true in a lot of instances, but I've known this Dr Pepper lady for over 5 years and she had told me that they receive weekly briefings on stuff like that because they also represent the company for all of their customers. The Coke guy I never really paid attention to, and yesterday was the first time that I ever spoke to him even though I have seen him before. Neither one knew the reason behind the change, just the technical stuff.
Troy - Just wait until you think that you are finished and she'll show you something that you missed or she changed her mind.

Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend. Stay safe.

You sure it's not a right-hand switch. I see the right hand listed as the last ladder in 2 places. Your talking code 83 right? The guy I bought some track from Big Discount Trains has a ME code 83 5e right-hand last ladder listed but it's $15.00 more than Hiawatha Hobbies. I just became a big fan of Hiawatha Hobbies.
George
Yes I am using code 83 and I am using all left hand ME Ladder switches for the yard. I was able to get the following:

QTY. (1) #5b left hand for the entry (5a is not necessary)
QTY. (2) #5c left hand
QTY. (4) #5d left hand
and a 50 pack of rail joiners.

I need to get (1) #5e left hand the last ladder turnout. Hopefully I can find it......

I have, unfortunately or weirdly even, there is a lot of Kato around, in N gauge but very little in HO, so far I've found only two pieces in the UK for the 424, and I'm going from a b/w diagram, it looks right, but.....I've had this problem before, parts looked a perfect match in the picture, didn't fit.

Ok, now I'm cornfused. Is it HO or N, Kato or Atlas with Kato drive?

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 59°, headed up to 74° later. Then December-like changes. Thunderstorms this afternoon and then shortly after midnight a severe wind shift from the north and the high tomorrow of 50°. Then four nights in a row near or below freezing before returning to the 70's Thursday for the Christmas weekend. Dry in the forecast for ten days except for this afternoon. The radar loop shows minor showers passed near but not here in the last hour. I'll need to go out and put the cover on the grill and move the shredder and chainsaw into the shed.

Another mostly successful weekly grocery trip yesterday. Shelves were mostly well stocked and store was mostly uncrowded. No line at the checkout and I had the credit card this week. However my wife's brand of iced coffee was out at three places that I went to. So she got dark roast this week instead of medium roast. Masking looks to be down to about 30% of customers and 95%+ for employees at all places that I went. That is except at the small town Dollar General nearby, where they never really masked up since the beginning of the panic. Gas at nearby stations went up by 5¢/gal since I gassed up Tuesday, now $2.80.

We went out to eat at our favorite Italian Bistro last night. Wife went exclusively and unassisted with the cane, even after we split a bottle of wine. Except that I did open the doors and help her up the porch steps. So progress is being made.

Thanks to all fellow patrons for the likes and comments regarding what is to become the next project; Christian, Sherrel, Karl, Joe, Steve J, Gary, Louis, Jaz, George, Tom O, Hughie, Patrick, James, Mikey, Curt, Tom, Rick, IB Ken, Tom H.

Apple-chicken sausage and two over easy eggs this morning Flo. Something a little different. OJ and whole wheat English Muffin on the side.

Nothing out in the train shed yesterday. Yes, nothing. I went out briefly, but cut it short so we could go out to eat before the crowd. I do have a question regarding end of track wheel stops or chocks. I have the following pair; I don't remember where I got them or do I have the instructions.
View attachment 137048
Several questions, firstly do they have a specific name??
How do they attach?? Which side faces the wheels and which side faces off-track?? A picture might be helpful, I have been unsuccessful with the internet so far. I think that I have them right side up in the picture, but I am not sure.

OB Ken - Sorry to read about the loss of your modeling friend, and your late friend at the Police Department.
Despite all of the oil pumped and refined here in Texas, there are five other states with a lower per gallon gasoline tax. However at 20¢/gallon, we are a lot better off than CA, Pennsylvania or Washington at 50¢+.
Jesse - Good to read that you're pumping up the economy.
Tom O -

I find that true at my LHS, Discount Model Railroads down in Addison TX. While they have a website, they remain in the last century with no online ordering. When I asked the owner about that, his comment was that they don't need the added expense (website development, shipping and handling, potential extra employee, and inventory storeroom); and they have more than enough walk-in business to do well. He admits that they probably could increase their sales though.

I grew up in the 50's-70's and my life was fun and exciting. Maybe it's because my face wasn't stuck to a phone or tablet screen!!!
Christian - An Atlas Controller will also work for reversing loops. Neither it or the Twin are automatic so you have to pay attention to what you are doing. I have a couple of old ones, but I purposely designed the current (and last) layout without reversing sections in it.
Greg - New years train resolutions. I have had the same one for many years now, "FINISH MORE SCENERY". It's one that I have been able to accomplish. It's obviously open-ended.
Chad -

That's true in a lot of instances, but I've known this Dr Pepper lady for over 5 years and she had told me that they receive weekly briefings on stuff like that because they also represent the company for all of their customers. The Coke guy I never really paid attention to, and yesterday was the first time that I ever spoke to him even though I have seen him before. Neither one knew the reason behind the change, just the technical stuff.
Troy - Just wait until you think that you are finished and she'll show you something that you missed or she changed her mind.

Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend. Stay safe.

Willie,

Those are called wheel stops. The one you have look similar to Durango Hayes wheel stops.

or you can get them from Tomar...at Crusader Rail Services. https://www.crusaderrail.com/tomar.html

then there's the derailer too. https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/dng/dng214.htm

Walthers has of course a variety of manufacturers that can help find more of what ya need. https://www.walthers.com/products/layout/track-and-accessories/bumper-wheel-stop

As for installing them......the ones you have looks as those are the type that need to snap on top of the rail with some adhesives. Some manufacturers snap in place other actual hook under the rail or hook on the side edge of the rail or some you slid the rail through if you are on an end of the line track or rip track.

I will see if I can find some pictures that show your style.....

**Edit: I personally like the new 3d printed ones people are doing now a days as they are plastic in yellow and the do not conduct electrical current etc. I have a link some where for it and I will get it to ya.....

Last edited:
Good morning all! 34 degrees and rainy heading for 42 and rainy. Off work today and tomorrow. Not much to report here really. Went to my grandson's basketball game last night. Only got to watch him play through most of the first quarter. His team was blowing the other team away so badly in the first few minutes that they pulled all the starters and he sat the bench the rest of the night. He managed to score a couple times and played some excellent defense before he got to sit down.
Nothing much else going on. Hope you all have a great day!

BRRRR! 34 degrees F this morning! My body is not liking it this cool. Everyone has their heavy coats, snow boots, and thick bulky sweaters on. BAH- HUMBUG, I'll take the shorts and halters any day!

Politicians are mostly all the same! They all have their hand in someone else's pocket, and all want to control how each of us lives and thinks ... just leave me "the f%%k alone.
Climate change - the climate has been changing since the dawn of creation ... and man's efforts are not going to change it!

FLO -- Coffee and bacon please!
I think, and this may be a little radical, that every politician that has been in office since before the internet was a thing should get the same treatment as a lame horse. Taken out and shot. But what do I know, I'm just the one who gets screwed over by them and their policies. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yo! I survived an early morning excursion to Hobby Lobby and BJ's Wholesale. @ HL, I picked up a couple foam board sheets, about $2.50 cheaper than what Michaels wanted the other day. (Wife needed a medium gift bag), then at BJ's I bought a few household items we were running low on, and some Lindor Truffles...Love those!😍

I find myself buying less from MB Klein (Model Train Stuff), I still use Trainworld in Brooklyn, and Tony' Train Exchange in VT. Also, use Micro-Mark and Walthers when necessary. I also buy direct from Tangent. Price, including shipping and taxes, is a prime consideration, but there are times when cost becomes secondary. Might look into some of those Midwestern dealers, next time.

Caps play Winnipeg tonight at 8PM EST. I see Jets Coach, Paul Maurice resigned today...in his 9th season in Winnipeg. That's a long time in one place for any pro coach. Maybe, now, the Devils will Fire Lindy Ruff and his staff...☹️😖:rolleyes:

Spent more time fine tuning my portfolio. Almost a complete turnover since late October...Need to exercise my brain more. So far, so good.

Public Works is feverishly working to complete the "Fall Leaf Pick-up". I suppose they fear a sudden change in the weather.

Phila 58th & Woodland frt hse c1960 CityArchives.jpg

B&O Freight House @ 58th & Woodland in 1960. This was near the by then defunct J. G. Brill trolley factory in South West Philly. Official City Valuation Photo.

Like TomO stated, Hiawatha Hobbies is great and a perfect model railroad store, but I need to add Southside Trains to my list of "Go To" model railroading store. I buy a lot of on line products from Tom Palmer the owner and his prices are hard to beat.

1639769066354.png

The inside of Southside Trains near Mitchell Field on the south side of Milwaukee.

Greg

You could also ring gaugenaster and check if they have any bits of bobs not on their site,worth the call.
Yep, used their contact page, gave them what I needed, part no's etc, got a acknowledgement of the e mail, saying it had been passed to their spares dept, so waiting, but I like to keep my options open, what I could see on their website was lots of Kato, but N Gauge.
Before I forget, I may need to ask your assistance on the bodyshell, I think I have a repaint of a repaint, and would like to try and get it off, when I find out the type of paint used.

You guys who run US prototypes have it easy in terms of finding your stuff in shops. Those of use running Japanese or European prototypes mostly have to order out of Japan or Europe... MB Kleins/ModelTrainStuff sometimes has a few Japanese trains and there are a few US and Canadian places for European N scale but usually they are much more expensive than shipping in and paying $40 UPS/Fedex shipping from Germany, though I have gotten a few good deals...

Luckily there are a lot of places in Japan that ship to the US with fairly decent shipping charges and usually the items are discounted plus minus the Japanese taxes. Amazon JP has a large assortment of train stuff form all the Japanese brands and has really fast and usually reasonable DHL shipping...

I do have 4 US prototypes for UP locomotives from KATO in N and several sets of intermodal cars for when the fancy strikes me...

Right now, with the house build, I am mostly on moratorium and not buying train stuff. I saw a a way cool Nankai 50000 Rapi:t with Sumikko Gurashi characters on it I would love to get -- I rode this train (without the characters) once and it is a cool train. I have this model in plain blue. In the following link the one on the left. http://www.microace-arii.co.jp/poster/img/21_11w.jpg

Also, I got an email from a german dealer with a bunch of new KATO Swiss locomotives from the narrow gauge Rhätische Bahn (Rhb) that had special liveries. I would love to get some of those. I have a couple RhB locomotives and wagons already and I am a sucker for the special livery trains.

I need to win the lottery or get a long lost relative to leave a fortune for me...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back