Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening Shop Dwellers! Thanks for all the likes on my Monday post. Didn't have time to post last night because I needed to hurry up and order the last of the Christmas gifts I'm giving this year, before they either got sold out or couldn't guarantee delivery before Dec 24.

OB Ken - nice bunch of photos of your club's modular layout! I always thought the Indiana RR had one of the prettiest schemes ever, especially since their locos always seemed to be kept clean (very much unlike my prototype - lol!)

. . .
CNBC this afternoon, released a news item about Pfizer's very successful test for an anti-viral pill. The writer of the article, seemed upset, that the second series of trials showed a high degree, (90%), of success, and was further dismayed that no one involved died of Covid during or after the trial...Perhaps, I read it wrong, but I get the impressions that some i the media don't want this story to go away. Just me musing. :rolleyes:
. . .
Joe - It's like a former mayor of Chicago once said, "Never let a crisis go to waste."

Regarding porch pirates, they've never been a problem on my property - mainly because my house sits 350' away from the road. They would have to drive or walk up my driveway just to see what is on my porch. And with two or more of the family vehicles always parked here, they'd probably think their odds of not being seen are not too good. Then again, there have been idiot FedEx drivers that left computers by my mailbox on the street...

Had time to get in a teensy bit of train activity this evening, by doing some "patch" painting on the D&TSL SW7 I got in the mail last week. I'll post photos as soon as the job is completed.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Oh Joy -- The EX just called me and informed me that "our" son has COVID! He lives in Phoenix and went into the hospital Thursday - home today, but feels so bad that he may go back she said. He has not called to tell me because he told her that I will yell at him for NOT getting vaxed -- neither of my two offspring are vaxed - IDIOTS.

Do not sit down until you go and comb your hair
Sherrel: Some days, I resemble that. :rolleyes: My sons are vaxed. One was almost first on line to get it hen available, the other...had to get himself Covid first...but reluctantly got vaxed with two shots. He needs a booster, everyone else has the booster.

Truthfully, after I came down with the Upper respiratory infection, last week, I began to wonder considering I had the two Moderna shots plus Moderna Booster, the flu shot, and always wore a mask when out of the house or car. Had either of the two Covid tests come back positive, I would have become very skeptical. However, I was negative for Covid, Negative for Flu, and still came down with a URI? How did that happen? (Ignoring, for a moment, the truth that I am especially prone to URIs from October through January). Wife and I both still mask up each time we go somewhere.

I'm as tired as anyone else, and so over Covid...Over Politics, and Over what the talking heads on TV think is important. Not for nothing, this is the first Christmas, since I don't remember when, that no one in my family, is deployed overseas in a combat zone or preparing to deploy to a combat zone.

Minimal effort in the train room today. I filed some rough edges, and painted a single window frame on a DPM kit this afternoon. Managed not to slop, and the paint didn't bleed under the masking tape. Didn't want to tempt fate with the other two windows. They are for tomorrow.

MP54E train SB at Sharon Hill PA - Crawford.jpg

Penn Central Southbound Local with MP54E equipment at Sharon Hill, PA. Photo by C. Crawford.

Almost midnight here in breezey So. Central Wisconsin where it hit 67f degrees a new record by 15. Consistent winds running 15-25mph all day till 6pm. Speeds moved up to a consistent 35mph with gusts 50-60mph. It has been an interesting day weather wise. A bit of rain about 9pm tonight and I am not sure what’s going on out 5here now. I can actually hear the wind, it is that strong. We are to drop 10 degrees in temperature starting around 3 when the winds diminish back to the 15-25. 62f degrees at almost midnight in Wisconsin in December. Climate change discussions? I think not as more dangerous then religion, political and sex discussions.

Trains, I spent maybe 30 minutes in a couple visits to the train room today.

Not sure what I want to accomplish tomorrow but will worry then, not now.

Because i can hear the wind the windows need to have the weatherstripping replaced.

TomO

Politics, nope can't talk about, watch it or listen to it. Thank God for all the Christmas music on the radio and streaming.
Why bother with something I have so very little influence on? I'll vote and leave it at that. I do trust in our democracy. What a blessing to be born in the greatest country civilization has ever known. I went from a kid with an empty belly and empty refrigerator to being "fat and happy" living like a king, in my mind. I love America! You want something, work for it!

My advice, focus on the things you can influence or that make you happy. Avoid all the other stuff that just makes us crazy.
Have a great day Everybody!

Politics, nope can't talk about, watch it or listen to it. Thank God for all the Christmas music on the radio and streaming.
Why bother with something I have so very little influence on? I'll vote and leave it at that. I do trust in our democracy. What a blessing to be born in the greatest country civilization has ever known. I went from a kid with an empty belly and empty refrigerator to being "fat and happy" living like a king, in my mind. I love America! You want something, work for it!

My advice, focus on the things you can influence or that make you happy. Avoid all the other stuff that just makes us crazy.
Have a great day Everybody!
Well said Louis

TomO

I just looked at the temperature. From 62f degrees at midnight to 29 at 3:40am. I slept from 2:45 roughly to 3:20. Now I can‘t fall back. The wind speeds I found it. We still have high wind warnings til 6am per the app. Winds are 30 to 40mph wind gusts up to 60. But it also says the current wind speed is 26.

TomO
7A1CD532-7307-4505-83C5-071B76BD1110.jpeg

Last edited:
Oil Belt KEN -- I liked the photo tour especially the refinery tower trucking spread. Nice touch on the drilling rig too!
I grew up in an oil patch, so I like seeing things like that - not normally seen on a train layout.
I think that Trucker DAVE will like that too?
Thanks! The whole layout has been improved since those pics were taken. Sadly, the guy who did the great oil field work recently passed away after a short bout with Leukemia. He was an amazing modeler and built nearly everything from scratch.

doing some calculations I come up with: $2.75 (US) for 3.8 liters - I pay $1.31 (CAN) per liter = $4.98 (CAN) or $3.86 (US) for 3.8 liters
I live 25 miles from where the d_ _ n stuff is made!
I grew up two blocks from an oil refinery. My dad worked there and we still have some of the highest gas prices around. That's partially due to whatever bizarre formula they use to determine gas prices in a town and even more to do with the absurdly high gasoline taxes we pay in this state. Fortunately, I work just across the border in Indiana and prices there a little better, although still absurdly high.

Good morning all! 61 degrees and very windy. We've already hit our high for the day. It's supposed to fall to 47 by 5pm and rain all day.

Expecting a busy day at work. Our district manager is making yet another visit today so everyone is hard at work making sure the place looks good. We've spent a lot of time the last few days between customers trying to improve the looks of my department and it shows.

Found out one of my former co-workers at the police department passed away. No idea what happened to him but sad to hear he's gone. He retired early and was about 9 years older than me.

Nothing much else to report here. Hope you all have a great day.

Good morning y'all. Missed a few days and it blew up in here. Id say I'll try t catch up, but I probably won't, so I won't.

Currently 39, forecast says 65 today, 70 the next two days as another batch of showers moves through.

Flo- Coffee please, and I think I'll have the Usual today.

MIL gave out the Christmas money yesterday, so I promptly ordered 4 new buildings and some detail parts. About to order the rest for the newspaper and the pizzeria. Hopefully some of it will arrive before Christmas so I can use some of my time off to make progress. But it's out of my hands now.

Time for another cup and to further stimulate the economy.

Oh, and I'll just leave this here for whoever needs it, myself included.

track the package.jpg

Almost midnight here in breezey So. Central Wisconsin where it hit 67f degrees a new record by 15. Consistent winds running 15-25mph all day till 6pm. Speeds moved up to a consistent 35mph with gusts 50-60mph. It has been an interesting day weather wise. A bit of rain about 9pm tonight and I am not sure what’s going on out 5here now. I can actually hear the wind, it is that strong. We are to drop 10 degrees in temperature starting around 3 when the winds diminish back to the 15-25. 62f degrees at almost midnight in Wisconsin in December. Climate change discussions? I think not as more dangerous then religion, political and sex discussions.

Trains, I spent maybe 30 minutes in a couple visits to the train room today.

Not sure what I want to accomplish tomorrow but will worry then, not now.

Because i can hear the wind the windows need to have the weatherstripping replaced.

TomO
So Tom you're from Wisconsin, you know of Hiawatha Hobbies in Pewaukee, WI? I tried to buy another 50 feet of Micro Engineering code 83 weathered track and they're the only train hobby store in the US that had some. It was also $12.00 a box of 6 cheaper then anywhere else if they had it. They seem to have a lot of stock. George

So Tom you're from Wisconsin, you know of Hiawatha Hobbies in Pewaukee, WI? I tried to buy another 50 feet of Micro Engineering code 83 weathered track and they're the only train hobby store in the US that had some. It was also $12.00 a box of 6 cheaper then anywhere else if they had it. They seem to have a lot of stock. George
George walking into Hiawatha is like being in a candy store for model train guys. Greg, lives just a few miles from there.

On other forums there has been a huge cry about ME being out of stock. I tell them about Hiawatha. I got all my code 70 ME rail from Glenn and his Crew there. Hiawatha prices are damn good and they are my #1 online shop. They are 70 miles from me and my LHS in Madison is only 5

Another place with ME turnouts is

PWRS.ca

lousy website but use the advance search and it works very well.

TomO

Morning all,

Managed to hang on yesterday with the winds in the area. We had gusts near 70 mph and a severe thunderstorm on my way home. Just as well, there was a huge grass fire the the rain helped put out as it was getting away from the firefighters. Odd to have a severe storm warning 10 days before Christmas. Going into the wind for the 2 miles I had to go into the wind, the little truck's engine at 60mph was showing rpm's as if I were running 80mph, and the front end felt like it was wanting to lift. Steering was 1/8th of a turn into the wind to keep it on the road when I was running across the wind (90° angle to the wind direction).

Gas went up 10 cents yesterday to $2.99, but the cheap gas station on one of my routes home was still $2.69. So I did my weekly fill up there at lunch time.

The daughters are calling dad for Christmas plans this year. I don't know why they don't get with their mom and then tell me what they are doing as they know I won't get it right. Family commitments on the other side have them trying to figure it out. The wife and I are flexible as we don't really do anything on her side, and I'll probably visit mom at the care home on Thursday before Christmas, so that's what I have on family. My siblings and I live far enough from each other that other than text greetings and the occasional phone call, we don't get together.

No trains, but thank you to all who post pictures and links.

Troy: Thanks for the glitter bomb distraction. Took me longer to get through this mornings posts....And I raise you some more socks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back