Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all. A quick check of the forecast proves that mother nature has forgotten to take her meds again. At present it is 49, high of 73. Tomorrow will be similar with a high of 63. My week in Raleigh looks like this: 72, 49, 51, 51, 59. We dip down to 34 on Wednesday night with a 70% chance of rain that day. 70s to 40s over a 4 day span. It's just plain crazy y'all.

Flo- Coffee please, hold the breakfast. Maybe in a little while, but I have so catching up to do.

Sherrel- Coffee is very important. I feel that I cannot properly human in the mornings until I have had at least one cup. i can definitely see how coffee would help on all-nighters. between the caffeine and the need to pee, who can sleep?

Jaz- Willie was close to correct in his reply. I was not driving at that time, but sleeping at home in my own bed. I left my hotel at 3:45 and arrived home at 6:30. After we took our son to school, I decided a short nap was the order of the morning. Also, from my bed to Yellowstone is 2,020 miles, so the answer to your question is definitely not. 😄

Willie- I am in complete agreement. I would just prefer to know I person is stupid BEFORE they open their mouth. It would save a lot of time and aggravation. Thank you. I am hoping to repair it as cheaply as possible. It's a 2012 model, with a salvage title, so I won't get what I paid for it out of it, especially with having to sink money into repairing it. But I also don't have an extra $20k laying around to buy another vehicle. If I wasn't already making a $300/month payment on my Ram, I could justify a new payment, but not right now.

Terry- Make them fire you. Claim discrimination. Sue. Buy the company. Force them to resign. 🤣 On a serious note, good luck. I know what it's like to have an uncertain future in your job. It sucks.

Louis- Glad your are feeling better.

Time to sip coffee and lurk.

Y'all have a blessed day.

Oh, almost forgot.

I know we try to stay away from politics and religion here, but did y'all hear about the miracle in Houston?

Y'all remember when someone stole $600k from Lakewood Church? Well they just found that exact amount hidden inside a bathroom wall there. Ain't God good?

I wish there was a good font for sarcasm. Not that I'm mocking God, but I love it when crooks get their due.

Hello Happy and Unhappy RR modelers !
I added a bit of scenery to my layout...🤣

114.jpg

Good Morning! 37f and a touch of snow here. Supposed to hit 41f later.
Breakfast later Flo.

Hope to start placing center diameter markings for the benchwork edges on the floor for the RR; although I need to convert the cartesian coords to polar first - now what did I do with that huge protractor - hmmm.

Wife and I are taking the winter off ( Nov 11 - March/April ) as we just don't want to drive in snow anymore. Next summer until November(ish) and we will be done working for other folks.

Terry: Are there enough people close to you where you can provide service for them? Garage works fine to start.

Patrick: We took out all of the carpet from our ground floor about 8 years ago and put lam in. We have not had a bad cold or flu since - you should have seen all the crap under the pad. Wife used to vacuum pretty much twice a week and Rug Doctor in spring/fall but you can't get the deep down stuff. Now have a iRobot that we run when you can see the difference between under the dining table and walkways.

Covid: I get a kick out of people that believe a mask is gonna keep them from getting it. It is air born and can land on anything - touch that surface then close to your nose and guess what? Ya breath it in. When masks were required - the first thing I would do after taking it off was to scratch my nose and fluff my beard: touch the mask, touch my nose - hmmm. A mask *might* protect others from you when you sneeze or cough - depends on how hard you do that. The harder the more likely stuff will leak out of the mask on the sides.
We both have had the 1st version; did not feel well for about 15 hours or so and became immune. The same for the 2nd version - not worried at all about the 3rd, 4th, 5th ...etc. Why is the current administration not telling us about the antibody tests that are available, or the actual count of folks that were positive in which it did not effect them - go figure. Did anybody actually die from the old flu last year -or- how many so far this year? It looks to me that this administration is trying to keep its thumb on folks by continuing to promote it.
My immune system works as it should; I do not sanitize my hands so I end up eating the so called bad stuff. Had a kid that was sick pretty much all of the time - doc told us to let the kid [paraphrase] 'eat dirt' to build up the immune system. That worked! My last flu shot was 1978. I now get a very light flu which goes away pretty much in 8 to 10 hours.

Enjoy your day and for those of you that need - keep warm!

Oh, almost forgot.

I know we try to stay away from politics and religion here, but did y'all hear about the miracle in Houston?

Y'all remember when someone stole $600k from Lakewood Church? Well they just found that exact amount hidden inside a bathroom wall there. Ain't God good?

I wish there was a good font for sarcasm. Not that I'm mocking God, but I love it when crooks get their due.
You had me for a moment and then I remembered the morning email update I got yesterday. Yes a wonderful miracle in Houston.

TomO

Good Morning! 37f and a touch of snow here. Supposed to hit 41f later.
Breakfast later Flo.

Hope to start placing center diameter markings for the benchwork edges on the floor for the RR; although I need to convert the cartesian coords to polar first - now what did I do with that huge protractor - hmmm.

Wife and I are taking the winter off ( Nov 11 - March/April ) as we just don't want to drive in snow anymore. Next summer until November(ish) and we will be done working for other folks.

Terry: Are there enough people close to you where you can provide service for them? Garage works fine to start.

Patrick: We took out all of the carpet from our ground floor about 8 years ago and put lam in. We have not had a bad cold or flu since - you should have seen all the crap under the pad. Wife used to vacuum pretty much twice a week and Rug Doctor in spring/fall but you can't get the deep down stuff. Now have a iRobot that we run when you can see the difference between under the dining table and walkways.

Covid: I get a kick out of people that believe a mask is gonna keep them from getting it. It is air born and can land on anything - touch that surface then close to your nose and guess what? Ya breath it in. When masks were required - the first thing I would do after taking it off was to scratch my nose and fluff my beard: touch the mask, touch my nose - hmmm. A mask *might* protect others from you when you sneeze or cough - depends on how hard you do that. The harder the more likely stuff will leak out of the mask on the sides.
We both have had the 1st version; did not feel well for about 15 hours or so and became immune. The same for the 2nd version - not worried at all about the 3rd, 4th, 5th ...etc. Why is the current administration not telling us about the antibody tests that are available, or the actual count of folks that were positive in which it did not effect them - go figure. Did anybody actually die from the old flu last year -or- how many so far this year? It looks to me that this administration is trying to keep its thumb on folks by continuing to promote it.
My immune system works as it should; I do not sanitize my hands so I end up eating the so called bad stuff. Had a kid that was sick pretty much all of the time - doc told us to let the kid [paraphrase] 'eat dirt' to build up the immune system. That worked! My last flu shot was 1978. I now get a very light flu which goes away pretty much in 8 to 10 hours.

Enjoy your day and for those of you that need - keep warm!
A very interesting take on the masking of the country. While I don’t agree with everything your wrote the flu cases last year did fall to almost nothing because of mandates in Wisconsin. Is that a coincidence, I think not! The problem with what I just wrote is something I do agree with you. What numbers of Covid are more then just testing negative or positive? Last year while trying to get to Hawaii you had to test negative before they let you in. I tested 8 times and had 8 positives with no actual feelings of Covid. My doctor took me off 2 of my meds and hey a week later I passed the Covid test. So the numbers report me as 8 positives not from 1 individual but just 8 as an adult senior male. Those numbers are somewhere out there and someone will leak them eventually.

While we never wanted the kids to actually eat dirt, we did allow them to play unsupervised ( I know shocking) outside except when they were in the pool or lake. The over protection of our nations’ children has done much damage according to some in the medical science fields.

Anyway, enjoy the process of building the framework to the layout. The newness of what I was trying to build was always an exciting time for me. YMMV!

Heading out for my morning wake up walk. 30 minutes is my goal at 29f/1.6c degrees. Yesterday it was 40 at this time for my walk.
TomO

A FEW MORE LAYOUT PHOTOS
As many of you realize, it is difficult to portray a winter theme without snow. A south Alabama village often has temps in the 70's F.
Also, town budgets were very tight during the 1930s, so I can rationalize a scant Holiday display for Hope's Landing.
Our scenery man also knows how to re-rail a steam engine.
View attachment 136117
The On30 layout at McWayne?

Good Morning All. Extremely foggy again this morning and 60°. Had a brief but noisy thundershower pass by at 0430 this morning that left me 0.54" in the rain gauge. I don't remember it being in the forecast but it is what it is. It will be a steamy 75° later today, with the same tomorrow after the same thing yesterday. Cold front still expected Sunday night and mixed weather for a while after that.

I mowed the SW part of the yard for what I hope is the last time this month. I still need to do the NW corner of about 1/3 acre but not today now. This rain may require me to do some parts close to the house and train shed again in about two weeks.

As many of you know, I have a younger brother stricken with stage 4 throat cancer, who I have not been able to visit due to the medical issues here at home. The tumor is pressing on his larynx and he is no longer able to speak. But I did have a conversation with our sister who taxis him to medical appointments, and she reports that he is still hanging in and doing as well as can be expected. The home hospice people are quite pleased that he has stabilized since he chose to forgo all of the chemo and radiation therapy back in June. I am hoping that my wife rehabs enough to allow the extended car trip to see him before Christmas.

Speaking of her recovery from Mondays surgery, she was able to stand unassisted at the kitchen counter for a short period of time yesterday. She may graduate from the walker to the cane within a week or so. She is also breaking the narcotic pain killers in half already, so that's major progress.

A beautiful sunset last night.
IMG_8400.JPG
IMG_8401.JPG
IMG_8402.JPG

Thanks as always for the likes and comments regarding my posts; Christian, Jaz, Patrick, Rick, Louis, Jerry, Troy, Guy, Karl, Hughie, Sherrel, Curt, Tom, James, Joe, IB Ken, Tom O.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I continued with the building project.
I attached the DPM side walls to the Walther's storefront but forgot to snap a photo. Then I addressed the back wall. Since the side walls that I used are technically upper floor walls, I had to improvise on the back wall by making a window opening into a door opening.
IMG_8403.JPG

However the door was too tall so some more surgery was in order.
IMG_8404.JPG

IMG_8405.JPG

Yes I know that my carving is not perfect, but this will be the back and I will be fixing this slightly with body putty before I paint.
As luck would have it, the wall was a perfect fit.
IMG_8406.JPG

I had roughly measured it to begin with and I felt that it would fit.

Jerry - Even though they are a little before my era, those tank cars look mighty fine.
Guy - While there are a few disadvantages to retiring before the spouse, retirement is still worth it. I am younger than my wife and technically she is still working at age 72 at the tax preparation place. But there are several tasks that she just doesn't think that I can do. Cleaning the bathrooms comes to mind. I did intentionally take over the kitchen full time after I retired. We always shared many other things that I have taken over as well.
Tom O - The folks in Austin are spoiled when it comes to temperatures. I still consider it shorts and tee shirt weather at 50°. When it comes to Exacto blades and others, I am really careful due in part to my taking and giving safety training for 43 years. I have also seen my share of serious industrial accidents from safety lapses in the window industry.
IB Ken - I am leaning towards the Moderna booster as that is what my original jabs were and I have been reading recent reports that it is the most effective, although not by too wide a margin.
Curt - Thanks for the update on Phil. Tell him to get well soon and start posting again!
Jesse - I believe that there is something fishy regarding the Lakewood Church incident. Like how did the money get there to begin with? I do not believe that the Osteen's had anything to do with it though. The money that was missing seven years ago was insured, so the church itself wasn't out of a penny. Do they return it now?
Todd - It is interesting that there was no press regarding the flu last year. Do you reckon it's because they were all classified as Covid cases by the self-serving CDC? 2019-2020 had around 43 million cases; 2020-2021 had 1600 cases per their statistics!

Fog is still present, I can barely see the train shed from the house!
Everybody have a great day, enjoy the weekend and stay safe and warm.

I see that Tom O has brought up the same issue that I have regarding last winter's flu statistics, since I typed.

Good Morning gang!

Flo, can I get a meatlovers omelet and some light toast?

Gonna try to get some stuff done in the basement today til the afternoon. Temps are going to the mid 50s so I'm gonna take the opportunity to put the grandsons 4 wheeler back together and see if it will run. If so, I'm gonna punish it by riding around the neighborhood on it. If you hear of a 60 year old falling off a 4 wheeler, that would be me!

Later will will work on relocating stuff to make way for the new layout
Yes really! Yesterday morning was slow, but the afternoon was crazy! Between folks coming in for services, 3, 30 minute plus phone calls with extended warranties (BIG time waster) and 1 call on a CSX vehicle that took almost as long, I didn't have time for squat! I wound up leaving with a headache and not going to the Western Maryland Railway Historical Society meeting because of it. Went home and went to bed!

Brings me to my next point. Anyone out there seeking career advice on the automotive industry I've got 1 word of advice............RUN!

This holiday song is higher on the pop charts than Adele!

Welp, winter must be here - now have 4 inches since about 0400 earlier.

Willie - I suspect that is what is happening. Government pays the medical entities for covid so they don't worry about having to submit insurance claims from everyday folks. It probably is even worse - 75yo neighbor 2 houses down died in a car wreck a couple of weeks ago. Neighbor next to me is a Montana State Patrol and said that the cause of death was covid ( death cert ). Come to find out he tested negative for covid the day before his death. Sure, sure false negative? Maybe, maybe not. I do not trust this administration to actually tell us what is going on. Last administration maybe more, one before that - not a chance.

TomO - Maybe someday we will actually find out the truth. As to meds, Ima sure getting tired of them. Actually thinking about talking with my doc as to "how long will I live" if I quit taking them? I turn 69 in 12 days - so what do I have left - maybe 25 years? Maybe not.

Good Morning!
It's a little bit cooler today at 4F, but, at least it didn't snow and it isn't foggy. I'll need to wear the gloves and hat, though. Can't let a-bit of cool prevent me from walking the dog in the forest. Otherwise, I'll have to clean up dog poops in the backyard.

The fact is, Willie, I don't mind running the vacuum over the floor. In fact, I do a better job than the wife does; I don't believe she understands the laws of physics. - What I hate most about vacuums is that they're like pulling around a dead cat and they always make the cords too short.

Christian - Those Christmas cactus cookies on the layout look good enough to eat. I believe you would find it a more pleasurable hobby if you splashed on some mud and formed some scenery, along with some structures.

James - I do so like all those engines to photo posted yesterday. My layout will only have max 26"R curves, so I don't think I'll be able to run 6 axel locomotives.

I'll tell ya, the wife had better not complain about my developing railway, because I have a comeback. Her hobby is flowers; those that she brings into the house from the garden and over-winters. The trouble is, it brings all the flies into the house as well, and the fruit flies can survive and breed. That makes for lots of fruit flies in the house.
I've purchased 30 fly-paper rollies, and have hung 10 throughout the house to try and combat the problem. I find the issue extremely annoying.
However, she seems to get so much joy from those flowers, that I refuse to have her remove them. She loves those flowers more than she loves me.

I've been collecting vintage photographs relating to railway industries. I'm trying to get the picture in my head of the direction I would like to take when building my railroad. Photographs seem to plant the scenes in my head, as far as terrain and structures are supposed to look.
Here are a few examples:
A coal mine tipple. Interesting with the horse-drawn method of moving the railcars forward:
Tipple_04-08-1914.jpg

And here's two photos of a mine that is fairly local to me, in Cadomin, Alberta.
cadomin-2.jpg

cadomin-5.jpg

I want my layout to have lots of switching, so I'm interested in industries that are true to my area. That means oil, forests, gravel, and coal.

Have a great day, everyone!

McLeod - I suspect that they are not fruit flies - but moss flies. You can get a systemic for those and put in all of those pots.
Great pix of the mines and such. I too want stuff that is local and will be dealing with Oil, Timber and Dirt industries. I even have been looking for the plans for the W. R. Grace plant. Had a conveyor system of some sort over the Kootenai River to get to the RR. Libby is/was a superfund site for asbestos. They now say that Libby does not have its own dirt anymore; all has been trucked in from other places.

Good morning again as I am back from the walk. It is brisk at 30f degrees as I wander3d the paths in the woods. Generally in December we can’t do a exercise walk through the woods as there normally is some snow cover on the paths and trails. Not this year so far. The shower after the walk was ok too. Normally I love showers but since my no sleeping for 36 hours this week, nothing feels right or good. 6 3/4 hours of sleep last night and 7 the night before but none for the prior 36. I need a good sleep or a great nap but like I said nothing feels comfortable right now, even my chair in the cave.

Last night’s hockey game ended the Wisconsin’s Womens Hockey team undefeated so far season. Lost 3-2 but this is the first game in 7 years of seeing them play in person that they looked bad through pretty much the whole game. Today it was reported that the last 2 weeks 1/2 the team had flu like but not Covid symptom. They didn’t play last weekend but yesterday’s game was had to watch. 3pm this afternoon we have another chance to see the 2 time should be 3 time defending NCAA National Champs play. I believe the outcome will be much better today.

Have not been to the train room yet today. I was hoping to finish up the reorganization project I started. The train room is a mess for me. I had too many things trying to be done before I headed West in October. But in this picture you can see what I am writing about.

9B48AF79-EF9A-4509-9713-62A9AD868281.jpeg

None of this stuff except the stools belong here and those 3 stools are normally spread around the room. I must have spent 2 hours last night before bed looking at Commercially available backdrops. I believe I narrowed it down to about 10. When I was designing the layout the plan was order the backdrops 1st. I was at the time unsure of the paper mill and ethanol (since sold) placement. The final 4 backdrops I was interested in, those companies are out of business and we’re so prior to the pandemic.

I see Walt of Rusty Stump fame at 79 has decided to close up shop. Walt used to be a regular at Railroad Line Forums and he had superb products and better service. He sold of much of the business 4 years ago but kept doing some things. I wish him well.

Terry is on the treadmill, boy I dislike that thing. The swimming pool is being repaired and when I asked couldn’t you have waited until after we leave again in January the daughter correctly said, dad we now own this place not you and mom. Sometimes she needs a smack but of course that’s not allowed even if she is 40 now. But I did ask her how much she paid for my old house, she smiled and said probably as much as Bri did for the apartments in Austin. Then I smiled! Ah, children!

I know I posted the 1st one following but I still am chuckling about it

TomO
430BBB37-2C60-421F-A66B-4053168D24D3.jpeg
F8970BF7-6D18-4A37-9750-1F287224C50E.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back