Running Bear's December 2021 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
F5615AC5-8690-4FD9-BF04-D967B682D153.jpeg

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning with Dad at Jon's. Phil couldn't be there because he recently had cataract surgery and isn't allowed to drive yet. We had a great time. After getting home we decorated the Christmas tree. I Don't feel like dealing with the dirt mess upstairs today, so I'll deal with it tomorrow. I've decided to make a change to the engine servicing facility based on what a member was asking the other day about staging tracks. I have consists of 3 ABA locos that are a pain to bring across the turntable. Sorry, I can't remember who initially asked the question.

Ken- Nice looking flooring.

Karl- Nice job on the basement.

Ken- I'm glad the grandson is doing better.

Sherrel- Back in the day when I was standing midwatch at sea I would drink so much coffee that I would get the shakes, but it never affected my sleep. How times change.

Willie- Nice start to the building.

Jerry- Nice tank car fleet.

Guy- There appears to be stacks of lumber but not trees. It may be a manufacturer, but it's just a guess.

Hughie- Nice scenes.

Mikey- Nice scenes also.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Spent the morning with Dad at Jon's. Phil couldn't be there because he recently had cataract surgery and isn't allowed to drive yet. We had a great time. After getting home we decorated the Christmas tree. I Don't feel like dealing with the dirt mess upstairs today, so I'll deal with it tomorrow. I've decided to make a change to the engine servicing facility based on what a member was asking the other day about staging tracks. I have consists of 3 ABA locos that are a pain to bring across the turntable. Sorry, I can't remember who initially asked the question.

Ken- Nice looking flooring.

Karl- Nice job on the basement.

Ken- I'm glad the grandson is doing better.

Sherrel- Back in the day when I was standing midwatch at sea I would drink so much coffee that I would get the shakes, but it never affected my sleep. How times change.

Willie- Nice start to the building.

Jerry- Nice tank car fleet.

Guy- There appears to be stacks of lumber but not trees. It may be a manufacturer, but it's just a guess.

Hughie- Nice scenes.

Mikey- Nice scenes also.

I hope everyone has a good night.

It was me, TomO. Looking forward to pictures of your engine terminal.

Excel is a different brand name of blades that fit Exacto (actually X-Acto) handles.
Agree with Willie. Cheaper and not as sharp is what I have read and been told by a couple modeling buddies. Anytime I have a blade in my hand my finger tips are in danger. I have also used surgeons blades which are great but I haven’t learned the trick of being able to put them on or take off without injuring myself. My main blades are Exacto.

TomO

I heard that they have closed shop Alco, has anyone else heard anything?
If we are talking Micro Engineering they are still in business but for sale. It has been hard to find their products lately as Covid hit the staff and families hard. I use ME rail code 70 and 83 on Central Valley tie strips.

There is a very confusing thread on the MRH forums discussing ME but as usual at MRH forums topics get so many tangents added to what the original discussion was about. MOO.

Most of the know it alls have already checked in there with their knowledge.

TomO

Well, the updated gig is going about how I expected. The sales department has wasted no time in doing their best to throw the service department under the bus. I hope the new owners learned from their experience when they started Auto Nation to see through this.

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks everybody for the friendly responses you all left on my Thursday post.

. . .
IB Ken - My wife and I had virtually no side effects from the original Moderna shots except the normal soreness at the jab point. I have read and heard both ways regarding mix and match of the vaccines and we have not yet decided which way to go. We're eligible and intend to get the boosters together, but my wife's surgeries and antibiotic regimes have precluded that for now. Apparently antibiotics and vaccines don't make happy partners. My doctor had not formed an opinion yet regarding mixing at the time of my last visit. I've been taking the aspirin for over 12 years now.
. . .
Willie - I didn't have any noticeable reactions to either dose of the Pfizer that I got last March, hopefully this time won't be any different. I got my Moderna booster today as planned, and have avoided making any major plans for the weekend, in case I do react. The CDC says it is ok to get a booster of a different vaccine brand, but the initial two-part doses have to be the same.

Good Evening!
The wind is just a-howling outside. Some trees are blowing down, and the snowdrifts are building up. - It's 30f, though, so still very warm.

Ken - Did those medical professionals look kinda like this:
View attachment 136179
I was told not to mix the potions. That was told to me by an animal farmacist; which is better than a pharmacist; which is better than a doctor.
Bye- the-way, I'm full to the eye-balls with Moderna, and have had no weird side-effects.

I spent a-lot of the day shoveling, and then re-shoveling. Darn winds. Anyway, I was way to tired to come in for coffee any earlier.
Tomorrow might be the same.

Have a good one!

LOL Guy, not quite...maybe more like this dude:
BonesMcCoy.jpg

The first was an internist [NOT my wife] who's been practicing medicine for over 30 years and has done a huge amount of research on Covid treatments and their varying degrees of effectiveness. The second was my son (a P.A.) who's also read studies indicating the Moderna vaccine provides better levels of immunity than the Pfizer.

Regarding your vintage photo, I think those foreground buildings definitely are a lumber mill - they look a lot like the ones I've seen on the layout of a local friend who has an accurate replica of the Cass, WV mill.

If we are talking Micro Engineering they are still in business but for sale. It has been hard to find their products lately as Covid hit the staff and families hard. I use ME rail code 70 and 83 on Central Valley tie strips.

There is a very confusing thread on the MRH forums discussing ME but as usual at MRH forums topics get so many tangents added to what the original discussion was about. MOO.

Most of the know it alls have already checked in there with their knowledge.

TomO
Tom, on the subject of the MRH forum...I don't know if you share this perception, but that place seems to have an exclusive "country club" atmosphere about it. I was one of the earliest members there when Joe F started it back in 2009, and actually wrote a few articles for him. But I drifted away during a 2-year hiatus from the hobby, and never really participated in discussions after that although I still "lurk" there regularly. I was thinking of doing a blog on MRH about my layout, since that site has a framework for doing blogs; but after the lukewarm reception to the photos I've posted in their Weekly Photo Fun threads, I'm having second thoughts; evidently my pics are being shunned because my modeling is not the same high caliber as what the others are posting...🤔???

A bit of mrr news for today: I received a Walthers SW7 with ESU Loksound that I ordered from Tonys Train Exchange for ~$150; I needed a second sound-equipped switcher for my steel mill and was planning to hold off on buying it, but the way prices are shooting up on just about everything these days - I figured I'd better get one while it was still available at this price. Painting and decaling this model for my private shortline will be my Christmas vacation project.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!

Tom: Speaking of MRH forums, I thought they were going to a new format for the forum, yet it looks the same to me? ME code 70 flex is my go to.
They are going to new software. The switch was done a few weeks ago and it was a failure so JoeF went back to the still workable software. They believe they have it correct but I can’t remember when the switch over is scheduled. I believe after Christmas.

The layout in Wisconsin is all ME code 70. I do have ME weathered rail in my supply bin, about 200 feet of code 83 and around 500’ of the code 70, but that’s not enough for the next layout. My issue is I can’t get my Central Valley tie strips. I am debating with myself over how I am going to do the turnouts as ME built up turnouts and the turnout kits are pretty much unavailable right now.
TomO

589DC960-17C4-4317-B077-39FE104D6261.jpeg

Good evening Shop Dwellers!

Thanks everybody for the friendly responses you all left on my Thursday post.

Willie - I didn't have any noticeable reactions to either dose of the Pfizer that I got last March, hopefully this time won't be any different. I got my Moderna booster today as planned, and have avoided making any major plans for the weekend, in case I do react. The CDC says it is ok to get a booster of a different vaccine brand, but the initial two-part doses have to be the same.

LOL Guy, not quite...maybe more like this dude:
View attachment 136233
The first was an internist [NOT my wife] who's been practicing medicine for over 30 years and has done a huge amount of research on Covid treatments and their varying degrees of effectiveness. The second was my son (a P.A.) who's also read studies indicating the Moderna vaccine provides better levels of immunity than the Pfizer.

Regarding your vintage photo, I think those foreground buildings definitely are a lumber mill - they look a lot like the ones I've seen on the layout of a local friend who has an accurate replica of the Cass, WV mill.

Tom, on the subject of the MRH forum...I don't know if you share this perception, but that place seems to have an exclusive "country club" atmosphere about it. I was one of the earliest members there when Joe F started it back in 2009, and actually wrote a few articles for him. But I drifted away during a 2-year hiatus from the hobby, and never really participated in discussions after that although I still "lurk" there regularly. I was thinking of doing a blog on MRH about my layout, since that site has a framework for doing blogs; but after the lukewarm reception to the photos I've posted in their Weekly Photo Fun threads, I'm having second thoughts; evidently my pics are being shunned because my modeling is not the same high caliber as what the others are posting...🤔???

A bit of mrr news for today: I received a Walthers SW7 with ESU Loksound that I ordered from Tonys Train Exchange for ~$150; I needed a second sound-equipped switcher for my steel mill and was planning to hold off on buying it, but the way prices are shooting up on just about everything these days - I figured I'd better get one while it was still available at this price. Painting and decaling this model for my private shortline will be my Christmas vacation project.

Good Night - and have a Pleasant Tomorrow!
Ken, regarding MRH Forums. I took a self induced hiatus from there February to May this year. I like JoeF., I like MRH but I don’t enjoy the know it alls. JoeF. has let topics go off target too much over the past few years so great threads get taken over and become meaningless. There also is one member there that reopens every old thread available.

I would wait to start a blog till after the new software is up and running. I remember the mess this past summer when Railroad Line Forums crashed. The guys at MRH just destroyed RLF for crashing and because there were few that could contact anybody associated with RLF many believed what the know it alls at MRH wrote as truth. I knew what was going on with Railroad Line Forums but when I put my 2 cents in, the responses were like I didn’t write anything or they didn’t believe me. Now I lurk and occasionally will post something.

The thing about MRH, it is really the views that count more then the likes or any discussion. I believe with no proof that many at MRH just don’t respond anymore because their comments will cause debate, and in this case that is not good.

As you read the above you can see why I enjoy this place so much, both for the diner and railroading threads. The drama is missing and that IMO will kill the MRH Forums. JoeF knows my feelings and while sympathetic does not feel as I do and it is his show.

TomO

Tinkering with a figure to add a beard and a Santa hat, this does not need to be perfect, and if not noticed on the sleigh build, no elves but a Mrs Santa Claus is there for support

Attachments

• 979CD610-4925-4928-8322-C57314459901.jpeg
    979CD610-4925-4928-8322-C57314459901.jpeg
    426 KB · Views: 73
  • 57620962-20BE-451C-A6F0-51011485DF2D.jpeg
    57620962-20BE-451C-A6F0-51011485DF2D.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 63
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back