Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Merry Christmas ye Shop Dwellers! 30*F and cloudy with a 14mph WNW wind in my central MD hometown. Might get a semi-white Christmas (snow showers 30%) over the next couple hours. EDIT: It just started snowing here after I began typing up this post.

Not expecting any mrr stuff in my stocking, since those purchases are hyper-specialized and not easy to describe to anybody who doesn't "speak the language". Instead, my hobby-related gifts come trickling-in throughout the year.

All of our adult children plus 1 grandchild will be coming here for Christmas dinner, Covid be damned. My 25yr-old daughter who is an RN is supposed to get the vaccine next week - she wasn't eligible for the initial batch since her normal assignment is the post-surgical floor, not ICU or ER. May have been too late, though; due to the large influx of Covid patients at her hospital and not enough nurses, last night she got "floated" to ICU duty after a 30-minute crash course.

My sister who has Covid had to spend 2 days in the hospital this week, luckily she was able to go home after getting oxygen and some steroid injections.

Garry - so sorry to hear about your neighbor who died from Covid!☹ Hope you'll get the vaccine before the virus finds you. As for me, I haven't heard anything about when or even if I'm in line to be vaccinated. MOH and I have been swallowing lots of Zinc and Vitamin-D supplements to minimize the impact when the time comes.

0_facebook_1608916966081_6748286866501759304.jpg

Yes indeedee...been there done that, got the T-shirt! :p My problem is that every Christmas, my wife always asks for something that comes in a large box. I have yet to find a decorated gift bag that will hold a box with dimensions of 22"x16"x14"...

There are large gift bags like that if you look in the right places.

My problems with gift bags is the relative expense vs wrapping paper though you save time. For b-day parties my kids goto we always use the gift bags

A pic from 2012 on my old layout. The left most locomotive is an Australian DL class. I bought it in Australia when I had gone there for a visit. I got a sales tax refund at Sydney airport on my way back home - the guy at the refund counter was really surprised to see a model!
The European locomotive in the middle is a Trix model of a Siemens ER20 diesel. All are great runners.

View attachment 122311

Funny, the first thing I noticed was the Siemens, from their EuroRunner family (Called Herkules in Austria). I have plenty (in N) of the sister series EuroSPrinter family but I don't think I have any EuroRunner. One to put on the list. Interestingly they are/were also used in Hong Kong.

Garry - so sorry to hear about your neighbor who died from Covid!☹ Hope you'll get the vaccine before the virus finds you. As for me, I haven't heard anything about when or even if I'm in line to be vaccinated. MOH and I have been swallowing lots of Zinc and Vitamin-D supplements to minimize the impact when the time comes.

And VitC, Quercitin, L-Lysine according to one doctor who has been successfully treating covid and gave that as his home prophylactic line of defence.

Funny, the first thing I noticed was the Siemens, from their EuroRunner family (Called Herkules in Austria). I have plenty (in N) of the sister series EuroSPrinter family but I don't think I have any EuroRunner. One to put on the list. Interestingly they are/were also used in Hong Kong.

I got this locomotive from a starter set that was parted out by a seller in a flea market. I bought just the rolling stock without the Trix C-track. It came a with a basic decoder and has a cheap three-pole can motor, and yet somehow runs really well.

Good Morning Everyone. Clear and 38° here on the day after! We're expecting 70° today and tomorrow, then some more seasonal weather for a while. Weather people are hoping for rain Tuesday and Wednesday in hopes of improving their dismal forecast record for 2020.
I hope that everyone had a good Christmas and I am wishing for a good stock market performance for the remainder of the year. I am actually up by 4% so far, which is fair for me considering the pitiful year on Wall Street earlier.
Yesterday was a full day for us. Drove 65 miles to one daughter's home for the now traditional breakfast of Taylor Ham and loaded waffles, with many bottles of champagne. Then did the gift exchange before I took a nap there and moved a couple of miles to the other daughter's home for cocktails and prime rib dinner. The grandsons got something called " Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit ". Pretty neat game. There's a camera mounted in the race car and you set up a course on your floor to race on. The camera shot can be either seen on the control console or in their case, on the big screen TV. It's a real time drivers view, like those cab views that we see in model railroading, except you use it to direct your radio controlled car.
All of my gifts were model railroad related except a tortilla press. I had set up an Amazon wish list prior to Christmas and they all used it since they all like using technology. If one kid picks an item, it is no longer on the list so I won't get duplicates. As I told them, if I need a tool, I just go and buy it. If I need clothes, then my wife buys them. I don't spend enough on hobby items myself, so that's all that's on my list. Yes, they are a little bit more expensive on Amazon than the LHS, but the kids aren't real good about selecting stuff there except my youngest grandson.
I did get an early present from me on Thursday. We're going to try out an infrared radiant electric heater (5100 watt) as a supplement/replacement to our wood burning heater. I am not getting any younger (cutting firewood) and my free source of oak firewood is no more. We still plan on using our own trees and prunings, but I need to eventually find out about supplementing or replacing that heat. Yesterday wasn't bad for example. I loaded the stove with a very large log and some smaller ones before we left for the day, and there was still some remnants left when we got home thirteen hours later. Temperature in the living room was a bit warm at 80°, but the rest of the house was still a cozy 75°. The wood burning heater is supposed to be large enough to go fifteen hours without refilling if needed. I'll set up the electric gizmo today or tomorrow to see how well it performs. That will help us make a decision on eventually installing an electric central heat pump or continuing as is. I am looking at $20 grand plus increased power costs if I have to go the central heat/air route. I have heated with wood for the last forty years. The only maintenance is removing ashes about every three weeks and sweeping the chimney once a year, both of which I do myself.

Hey there Flo! I'll take some over easy eggs and a handful of bacon this morning.

Looking back, I wish to thank everyone for their likes and comments on Thursdays post of my layout progress; Karl, Guy, Gary, Rick, Tom O, Phil, JazzDad, Sherrel, James, Luke, Garry, Jerry, Troy, Patrick, Tom,, Hughie, Ken, Gary (AL), Chad.

No layout time in the last two days. I miss it. Doesn't look like I'll get much if any time today.
I thought that I would leave you with some snow pictures from here. We don't often get any real snow, but sometimes it is quite impressive. Here are a few examples from 2008,
First the steps up to the pool deck.
03-10-08 005.jpg

Close up.
03-10-08 006.jpg

My push mower completely buried.
03-10-08 008.jpg

The car in the driveway.
03-10-08 007.jpg

Remember that snow shovels and blowers are non-existent around here.
I'll get back to modeling pictures tomorrow. The booty from yesterday is yet to be unloaded from the car this morning.

Guy - Thanks for the additional flat car pictures.
Phil - Thanks for the update on Louis. He eventually responded to my E-Mail as well, and noted that he had only one Christmas train this year. Back in July, he told me that he stopped delivering for Amazon and had gone into the business of being a third party seller and was doing so well that he convinced Angela to quit her job as convenience store manager and she now works for him. Being a store manager, many days on the third shift in Baltimore, was becoming quite a dangerous job and they were both happy to be relieved of that situation.
Garry - Sorry to read of your friend's passing. Today we'll be having a very small gathering (six people) of the remaining members of my wife's family, including her brother who recently lost his only daughter to Covid.
Hughie - Yeah! We get those temperature swings here in North Texas as well.
Karl - That's quite unusual that a turkey buzzard goes after a live animal. Good luck and hope that the dog remains safe.
Troy - Not too sure that the Bible Belt had anything to do with the Dominoes pizza. Even around here they have a terrible reputation and their pizzas are third rate compared to Mom and Pop.

Usually my wife goes out on December 26 and buys wrapping paper and stuff at the clearance sales. But we still have a bunch left over from last year (not as many presents), so she isn't going today and exposing herself to the masses thankfully.

Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Stay safe.

Good morning from warming So Central Wisconsin where the temperature is 16f degrees with a wind chill feel of 10. Heading to a balmy 31.

A strange and quiet Christmas Day yesterday but it was fine. Today I will venture into the train room. Have a safe great day.

TomO

Good morning gang
21f and sunny this morning.
Bud, my German Shepherd/Border Collie mix seems no worse for wear from the bird attack yesterday. He's policing the yard as usual, rounding up the squirrels as usual. No big birds in sight today.
Christmas was good yesterday, starting at the daughters, then # 1son, then ending with #3 son and wife's house. Well see #2 son and his wife in 2 weeks.
I hope everyone had a good Christmas, and isn't today Boxing day??

Morning!
Guess I'm going ice-fishing again today, in the 22°F cold and a 6mph breeze from the NE. I have to do what the boss wants to do on her time off.
I really need her to discover a time-consuming indoor hobby. As I age, my interest in standing on wind swept ice get's less and less. - Ice-fishing is her favorite winter pastime, though, so I must follow.

Thank you for the likes on my recent postings.
Found myself coming into the shop to see what was happening more than what was necessary. A result of the isolation during lockdown, with rules the wife and I are following for our own safety, and others.

I did venture out, masked up and alone, to see if that blue CN locomotive was still in town. It was!
Happily, I was able to get numerous photos of the engine as it was parked on a siding, and nobody around. It was even parked in a favorable spot for photos. A Christmas gift for me. Here are a couple of the photos:
CN 2456_C40-8W_12-25-2020 (14).jpg

CN 2456_C40-8W_12-25-2020 (13).jpg

CN 2456_C40-8W_12-25-2020 (11).jpg

CN 2456_C40-8W_12-25-2020 (7).jpg

That locomotive is a GE C40-8W. Why it is blue is unknown to me. I'm very happy I was able to photograph her, though. Posted some of the photos on rrailroads.net, in an album I have there.

Well, the wife is pushing me to make a move. So I gotta go!
Have a wonderful boxing day!

Morning!
Guess I'm going ice-fishing again today, in the 22°F cold and a 6mph breeze from the NE. I have to do what the boss wants to do on her time off.
I really need her to discover a time-consuming indoor hobby. As I age, my interest in standing on wind swept ice get's less and less. - Ice-fishing is her favorite winter pastime, though, so I must follow.

Thank you for the likes on my recent postings.
Found myself coming into the shop to see what was happening more than what was necessary. A result of the isolation during lockdown, with rules the wife and I are following for our own safety, and others.

I did venture out, masked up and alone, to see if that blue CN locomotive was still in town. It was!
Happily, I was able to get numerous photos of the engine as it was parked on a siding, and nobody around. It was even parked in a favorable spot for photos. A Christmas gift for me. Here are a couple of the photos:
View attachment 122359
View attachment 122360
View attachment 122361
View attachment 122362
That locomotive is a GE C40-8W. Why it is blue is unknown to me. I'm very happy I was able to photograph her, though. Posted some of the photos on rrailroads.net, in an album I have there.

Well, the wife is pushing me to make a move. So I gotta go!
Have a wonderful boxing day!

Wow, great weathering job by the CN. I always wondered why RR‘s let their equipment get like this, no sense of pride or caring?

McLeod, what name will we find your photos under at rrailroads.net. You know I’ve love the pictures you have posted. Ice fishing, I thankfully was able to avoid that when living in North Central Wisconsin. Much of the ice fishing there though is within ice shacks. Are shacks not allowed on your lake? I know you mentioned a tent but that would take all day to warm up.

TomO

Wow, great weathering job by the CN. I always wondered why RR‘s let their equipment get like this, no sense of pride or caring?

McLeod, what name will we find your photos under at rrailroads.net. You know I’ve love the pictures you have posted. Ice fishing, I thankfully was able to avoid that when living in North Central Wisconsin. Much of the ice fishing there though is within ice shacks. Are shacks not allowed on your lake? I know you mentioned a tent but that would take all day to warm up.

TomO
GBSwidley is the name; or just searching 'Whitecourt' will lead you to my photos on railroad.net. It's not a great selection of photos, but, I believe I am improving in photographing locomotives.
Ice shacks! To much of a pain in the rear, and not allowed in a provincial park. Pop-up tents are ok; but, still a pain in the rear.

Thanks for liking my amature photography. Later!

Good morning, y'all. 29° and sunny with a bit of wind. Lights have been blinking off an on all morning, which is ominous, considering our electrical utility is owned by the Rust Belt Utility Holding Company, and their customer service minions think Jersey is a land far away...

Hope everyone had a nice Christmas... We made good use of Duo to connect with children and grand children, because we couldn't get together this year.

Might spend some time in the basement with the trains...much work to do.

Pemberton Local E. Emery photo.jpg

This was one of the PRR's most "Backwoods" passenger services, and only Push - Pull operation. The Pemberton NJ, (Just outside of Ft. Dix), and Camden Local. Train would Depart Pemberton behind a Baldwin Passenger equipped RS unit, and run to Camden, then shove out to Moorestown. and Run back to Camden. during the day, the crew would lay over in Camden, while the train was reversed and serviced. In the afternoon, the train would run out to Moorestown, shove back to Camden, then complete the run from Camden to Pemberton. Believe this operation lasted into the Penn Central era, before discontinuance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back