Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning! 10 below zero F. this Morning. We had a real live blizzard come through yesterday and so we will have a White Christmas, Not that it helps much as the kids and grand kids will be seen this Sunday! We will watch Church on Zoom tonight. Haven't been on Running Bears thread, yet. Seems as though people are nice here! Merry Christmas to all!!

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Welcome to Christmas Eve morning. I'm looking at clear skies and 27° here in North Central Texas this morning. Yesterday was somewhat pleasant at 64°, but with 30 mph winds out of the west and northwest all day long. Expect 55° today and warmer tomorrow, with 70's over the coming weekend. Maybe rain next Tuesday.
I looked up on a website yesterday, where I am in line for the China Virus vaccine. In my county of approximately 45,000 people, there are 5800 ahead of me. The guesstimate for me is mid-March. I can wait for health care workers, responders and folks in assisted living centers to go first. I am in no real hurry, as I have made it 10 months so far just by being careful.

Just a bear claw and a tall cool OJ for me this morning Flo. Here's a few extra bills to split with Francine and Mel. Thanks for being here all this year.

Thanks for all of the reactions and comments regarding the picnic table progress and the "chicken mama" scenes; Dave, Tom, Phil, Patrick, Guy, Garry, Tom O, Luke, Sherrel, Karl, Joe, Ken, BigG, Gary, Rick, Walt, Curt, Hughie, Jerry.

I expect that yesterday will be the last modeling day in the train shed until Saturday. I'll run trains this afternoon for all who are interested, but I won't be home for any activity tomorrow.I was able to paint the tables yesterday and also apply a shot of dull coat because they were just a bit too glossy.
IMG_5334.JPG

Additional crappy picture with the fence in place.
IMG_5335.JPG

While many of the purchases that I made at the LHS Monday were either supplies of stuff that will be gifts to me, I did keep back the following set of Preiser figures.
IMG_5328 (2).JPG

"Dangerous Way Home"???
IMG_5329.JPG

IMG_5330.JPG

IMG_5331.JPG

Also included was this.
IMG_5332.JPG

I am not too sure what this stuff is! Manure? Boulders? Bags of body parts?

kleiner - Nice space you have there
BigG - For some reason, I am thinking that I read in some post that your name is Gary. If not, then I am sorry that I have been mis-identifying you.
Dave - I am continuing to enjoy the pictures of your old layout(s).
Guy -
am I far enough away
It is rare indeed that I am far enough away on my layout. That's a compromise that I made early on. Many of my structures are just a scale 15' away from the tracks. Looks OK though.
I especially notice the restaurant people,
They are slated to go into this plaza between two restaurants that I did earlier this year.
IMG_5333.JPG

Really nice looking pickup truck. Doesn't look like the owner drives it on salt covered roads in the winter!
Patrick - I am waiting on the final amount from the stimulus before making any donations, but this time around it's canned goods for the local food bank.
Tom O - Regarding the concrete color. The best concrete color that I have used has been Polly Scaly Concrete. I fortunately found a brand new bottle buried in my paint stash last summer. I am contemplating making a color swab of it and taking it to Home Depot so they can match it for me. It does mean buying a pint of it, and it will have to be thinned and filtered considerably to use in the airbrush
The paper mill scene is really looking good.
Ken -
I have yet to find a decorated gift bag that will hold a box with dimensions of 22"x16"x14"...
Buy her a new car and put it in the trunk!;)

I guess that it's still too early, but how come we haven't been hearing about flu deaths this season? Are they being counted as China Virus deaths?
If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?

Merry Christmas Eve everyone and have an awesome day. Stay safe and ask Santa for a new mask and lots of modeling gear.

A pic from 2012 on my old layout. The left most locomotive is an Australian DL class. I bought it in Australia when I had gone there for a visit. I got a sales tax refund at Sydney airport on my way back home - the guy at the refund counter was really surprised to see a model!
The European locomotive in the middle is a Trix model of a Siemens ER20 diesel. All are great runners.

IMG_0692.jpeg

Not at all,viruses= stay at home and work on trains. Stimuluses= money to buy trains. No politics, all train related. However talking about government agencies such as the post office packages could be considered politics seeing how they were involved in ballots.😇
Complaining about lack of packages being delivered= no politics
Complaining about the Presidential-appointed head of a government-owned shipping company and his politically-motivated actions=politics.

Morning! 10 below zero this Morning. We had a real live blizzard come through yesterday and so we will have a White Christmas,
That sounds like a C° temperature; and if your in a blizzard, you must be a Canadian in the east or in Calgary. Wait; Calgary should be warmer than -10, you must hail from the east. Welcome into the shop!

Morning! Coffee along with hamburger on eggs and toast; I need something substantial because I'm hitting the ice again, and not for a hockey game. The wife wants to catch the big fish. She believes Papa Rainbow is still cruising the depths eating the smaller fish, and she would like to end his reign.
So I have to pack-up the truck soon. No ice tent, though. The winds will be up to 18mph. Ice tents blow away like kites in those winds. But, it's quite a-bit warmer than yesterday.

Here's this morning's photos:
MOW Flt_CN 621136_2020 (3).jpg

MOW Flt_CN 621274_2020 (3).jpg

I believe those weird flat cars are both ends of an MoW set-up. They were in town this past springtime, while the MoW boys were in the area changing out rail-ties.

Anyway, there's my morning post! Gotta go!
Have a good one!

That sounds like a C° temperature; and if your in a blizzard, you must be a Canadian in the east or in Calgary. Wait; Calgary should be warmer than -10, you must hail from the east. Welcome into the shop!

Morning! Coffee along with hamburger on eggs and toast; I need something substantial because I'm hitting the ice again, and not for a hockey game. The wife wants to catch the big fish. She believes Papa Rainbow is still cruising the depths eating the smaller fish, and she would like to end his reign.
So I have to pack-up the truck soon. No ice tent, though. The winds will be up to 18mph. Ice tents blow away like kites in those winds. But, it's quite a-bit warmer than yesterday.

Here's this morning's photos:
View attachment 122312
View attachment 122313
I believe those weird flat cars are both ends of an MoW set-up. They were in town this past springtime, while the MoW boys were in the area changing out rail-ties.

Anyway, there's my morning post! Gotta go!
Have a good one!
Those look like modified bulkhead flats. I can see where the bulkhead was cut off, leaving just enough structure for the brake wheel on the B end.

Good morning fellow diners. Flo, a English muffin with ham please and a diet Cherry Pepsi.

Merry Christmas Eve day from my cold section of Wisconsin where it is -4 wind chill. A good day to stay inside. Oh wait, I have no choice being in quarantine because my 2 tests were positive. I feel great and as healthy as ever, but tests results are what they go by.
The family is in the 50th state with my brother except for Terry who also is avoiding me. She is staying in the apartment above the stables and her horsey s. The day for me after breakfast will be in the trainroom.

TomO

Good morning everybody ....

I am surprised that we haven't seen Louis this morning.

Willie ..... As if 2020 was not bad enough, a Christmas Eve without Louis and his Lionel train photos would be unfortunate. ..... Maybe the item you questioned in your post is coal for somebody's Christmas stocking.

I've sent him a card. I can call him and check if he and family are o.k..

Phil

Phil ...... If You call Louis, tell him we miss him and his Lionel posts.

This picture is from a previous year. We did not put up our big tree this year.

27281357449_39ccfc0b45_b.jpg

Complaining about the Presidential-appointed head of a government-owned shipping company and his politically-motivated actions=politics.
One has to draw the line somewhere! o_O
Good morning everybody....welcome to Christmas eve day!
Hope this day finds everybody well!
Getting ready to head to my sisters house for dinner with her family today.
Fallen Flag picture for today....
IMG_20201222_105931699.jpg

IMG_20201222_110001498.jpg

CB&Q

HAVE FUN---STAY SAFE!

Joe: I certainly wish your wife well! But, unless you are so far out in the boonies that it takes a week by dogsled, there is no way it should take two weeks to get the results from a biopsy! Fourteen years ago, my wife had surgery for a breast tumor. They said everything was fine. A week later they called and said they didn't get "clear margins"! Back in for another "procedure" on the same site. A week after that they called and said they still didn't get "clear margins". This was at a major hospital in a large city! Her doctor called the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN, and got us in there. They went in and had a bunch of pathologists ON CALL! Went back and forth four times while she was under anesthesia, until they were satisfied. She is fine. But, we have never gone back to the local hospital for so much as a checkup! Wishing you and yours all the best and a Merry Christmas and Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Re: the sound of firearms actuation making a distinctive sound. Many years ago, the late, great Bill Jordan was an officer in El Paso. He was driving a patrol car, at night, in a bad neighborhood, when he spotted a known drug runner. Bill's prowess with a double-action .357 magnum revolver was legendary. For some reason, however, he grabbed the M97 Winchester shotgun from its rack in the car before jumping out. The perp headed for an alley. Bill knew that if the guy got into the alley, he, Bill, would be backlit by the streetlight. He racked the slide on the shotgun...and the runner came to a screeching halt and threw both hands straight in the air! ;) There are many sounds in this wonderful world, but there's nothing quite like the sound of a '97 being racked in the darkness! :D

Stay well and safe, everyone!
Happy Holidays to All!

Good morning everybody ....

Willie ..... As if 2020 was not bad enough, a Christmas Eve without Louis and his Lionel train photos would be unfortunate. ..... Maybe the item you questioned in your post is coal for somebody's Christmas stocking.

Phil ...... If You call Louis, tell him we miss him and his Lionel posts.

This picture is from a previous year. We did not put up our big tree this year.

27281357449_39ccfc0b45_b.jpg
I spoke to our gentle giant [6'8"] LOUIS. He is well, healthy and busy taking care of family and work. Misses the forum . Will post as soon as possible.. Sends best wishes and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all.

Phil

Good Morning Everyone and a very Merry Christmas to all. A light dusting of snow over night with wind, overcast sky and cold.

Hope everyone feels better and makes full recoveries from any illnesses.

At the cabin at night, the response time for a Sheriff's squad is up to 45 minutes or more if it is an active evening. For that reason, I keep a .22 with a clip near by just in case. The previous owner was afraid of the dark, so there's nine exterior light fixtures.

Good afternoon in the train room yesterday working on engine parts and odds and ends May not make down to the trains today since I'm doing household type projects. I have to fix my spell checker and auto correct since there are some bugs with both systems. Our neighbors came over yesterday with masks on and with a gift and he's a IT guy and I should of asked him about the problem.

Cathy and I will open presents tonight at 5:00 PM with Christmas music in the background, the fireplace burning and a few drinks. Our dinner will be just finger food. Tomorrow we'll move away from the traditional meal and have lobster tail. Usually, we have Cathy's sister and her husband from Arizona, a niece from Arizona, a nephew and his wife from DC and the nephew's wife's parents from Toronto. Other relative have since passed.

My Christmas present for myself is two locomotives from Rapido which will arrive in 2021. One is a SOO SW 1500 or maybe a 1200 and the other a Canadian National H10-44. I always like the Green and Gold color scheme of the Canadian National locomotives. Both are DCC w/sound.

Thanks all for now.................

Merry Christmas to All!

Greg

####################

1608831159210.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back