Running Bear's December 2020 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie and GUY -- I'm going to add my 2 cents on weather and temperatures.
From living in such high humidity that you are unable to get dry after a shower in Louisiana to waist high snow in the Colorado Rockies to the deserts of Saudi Arabia and in 4 other States I have witnessed plus125 ° to minus 44 ° and learned the following: When the temperature is hotter than 106 ° - it doesn't matter - your body no longer cares. Likewise when the temperature descends below -6 ° - it doesn't matter - your body no longer cares!

Tom:....what channel is your weather lady on?

Greg

WKOW in Madison, channel 27 over the air and Hula. Katherine Noel.
B521EF70-755C-4353-A04B-57F5344BBBEB.jpeg

Good morning er, a afternoon fellas!
My package from Texas , sent on November 23 finally made it here yesterday. Texas to Detroit to D.C. to here in 25 days. Way to go USPS!! Pony Express would have been faster! All in all it was worth the wait. 2 Atlas RSC-3s and an AHM SD40, all in never run condition. Gonna keep 1 undec RSC and sell the others.

Sherril, that's quite some weathergirl. Not sure what she is saying, but who cares!!

Fella's, I'm not happy with the sidewalk I made yesterday! It needs to loose the 'tank-track' look, and I should make it a scale 6' instead of scale 8'.
Right now, it's only 11:15am, so I'm going down into the workshop to DAP spackle another slab of 1/32 sheet balsa, and do it again.
The spackle fills the wood grain and tightens up the fiber. This is yesterday's version:
SideWalk_12-17-2020 (1).jpg

I'll cut the new slab into 20.1mm strips, after cutting in the expansion joints with a single edge razor. This time , I won't use the ruler to make the lines straight.
That roll of self-adhesive drywall web is in the photo because, that's what I'm going to lay on roadway to help keep the mud secure. I'm thinking gravel roads, at this point.

If the weather people look that good, who cares if they are just guessing. We have to settle for a fella who looks just like Archie in the comics. We expect him to be extremely accurate in every thing he reports; the downside of looking like Archie.

I'm going downstairs to work on sidewalks! See ya tomorrow!

Thanks Santa Fe, all of that food looked good for sure. My wife is making a cheese ball this afternoon, and we have some original brothers pepperoni to go with it this week. Donairs and real pepperoni famous here in Halifax of course.

Kleiner, that layout looks awesome ! I am still waiting to see a respirologist before I cut any more wood to elevate part of my track which was part of my original plan, might just have to buy foam as I mentioned before.

Dakota Love, under this handle for your YouTube channel?

and lost my bid on a couple nice old style CN FA1 proto 2000 today.....should have bid a tad higher, but always trying to watch the costs.

Afternoon All,

Today I finished the main part of the first reverse loop (still have a stub track to do). It's hooked up electrically and tested:). I think back to the first RL I did. It was a nightmare. Tomorrow I'll probably glue down the last set of WS for the coal business.

Thank you for the likes on my photo yesterday.

Terry- Sad news about the train shop.

MoPac- Cute dog. Watch out for your fingers.

James- I'm glad the procedure went will. Hopefully the pain will leave quickly.

Dennis461- Nice photo.

Kleiner- Looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

Joe- Thank you. Nice photos. You have to post about your static grass experience. I want to do that for some of my scenery.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Ken- Best wishes for your sister.

Guy- The ACE hardware looks great. My line is 55 F.

TomO- Nice job on the new dryer tower.

Dakota- Nice layout shot.

20201219_131642.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Today I finished the main part of the first reverse loop (still have a stub track to do). It's hooked up electrically and tested:). I think back to the first RL I did. It was a nightmare. Tomorrow I'll probably glue down the last set of WS for the coal business.

Thank you for the likes on my photo yesterday.

Terry- Sad news about the train shop.

MoPac- Cute dog. Watch out for your fingers.

James- I'm glad the procedure went will. Hopefully the pain will leave quickly.

Dennis461- Nice photo.

Kleiner- Looks like you put a lot of effort into it.

Joe- Thank you. Nice photos. You have to post about your static grass experience. I want to do that for some of my scenery.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Ken- Best wishes for your sister.

Guy- The ACE hardware looks great. My line is 55 F.

TomO- Nice job on the new dryer tower.

Dakota- Nice layout shot.

View attachment 122089

I hope everyone has a good night.
CURT- As "WALTER" would say- " HOLY CRAP" .
Nice job, as usual .
Phil

Good afternoon. Been busy again with all sorts of projects over the past few days. We have had some abnormally warm weather and should for the next few days so I am trying to take advantage of it.

My wife has finally decided on a retirement date, the end of April. She has finally gotten through my thick skull that I am starting to get too old to do many of the things I have over the years. Maintaining the yard and house are getting to become a chore I will admit. We have been talking about downsizing as there are just two of us in a 5 bedroom house. The only thing the basement is being used for since the kids grew up is the train room and a place for the kids to store their stuff that they haven't got room for.

Unfortunately, this means that some time in the future I will have to part with my trains. I have a buyer for my semaphore signal. He has been after me to sell it for at least 20 years now.

Have a lot to catch up on.

Justin - Like the photos. One possible suggestion. It looks like you're going to put down some hard shell scenery. Don't use newspaper. Use foam of some sorts. Simple styrofoam packaging can be used.

Joe - Can't say enough about your photos. Like that GG-1 posted on Wednesday.

IBKen - Years ago I had a snowblower that mounted on the front of out Ariens tractor. The tractor died after 25 years of hard use and I ended up getting another tractor and just put a plow on it. Works fine until you run out of room to plow it. Got an end of the year deal on a Craftsman that was regularly $995 for only $650. Haven't needed it much, but when I did, it was there and does a great job. Here's my daughter in law making the driveway wider. She's a real winner. Love machinery.
thumbnail_20190302_113403.jpg She love to run it.

Mikey - Excellent photos.

Willie - Your layout tour photos are excellent. Sure like that White Castle. I had thought about getting one but there were never any of them here in Montana. That workbench photo looks like mine. Hope you can decide where to go for Christmas. My wife and I will have 49 years in the book on Tuesday.

Dave LASM - Sure am enjoying the photos of your old layout.

Karl - Glad you made it through the storm in good order. My son has his new Subaru Outback and his wife has a Durango AWD. The need it where they are because the city does not plow the side streets. My wife and I do pretty well with our front wheel drive cars. You just have to know the limitations. I used to have to bust trail on a section of road when I was leaving for work at 0530. Good winter tires make a world of difference.

McLeod
- Nice photo of the ice fishing. I prefer my recliner with the fire going thank you very much. Grin.gif

Wisconsin Tom - The dryer is coming along nicely.

Curt - Your track work is impressive. Really looking good. Excellent photos.

James
- Looks like you had fun with the white stuff. We have had some earlier but none recently. Waiting to get dumped on here.

kleiner - Welcome aboard.

Patrick - Really like your photos of the station. Sort of reminds me of the restaurant the wife and I stopped at in Golden, CO back in the 70's.

Garry - I enjoy your photos a lot. You give an excellent feeling of a large city.

Dave in Penn Valley - Interesting photos. That's quite an investment in that factory going to waste.

Luke - Louie doesn't look very happy in that photo.

Sherrel -
Getting dry after a shower is also difficult in Florida. The humidity was one reason I didn't miss it when we moved home to Montana.

Guess I'll go into the archives again for some photos. Maybe I should take a few the next time I get into the train room. Stacey's Old Faithful Bar is an actual location just a few miles from me. The building had a number of businesses in it over the years. A bank. butcher shop and a house of ill repute. Today Stacey's kids run the place and made half of it into one of the best steak houses in the area. Used to be my watering hole.

thumbnail_20181227_141312.jpg

thumbnail_20181227_142321.jpg
thumbnail_20190113_122258.jpg
thumbnail_20190910_065837.jpg
thumbnail_20190824_171933.jpg
thumbnail_20191102_142936.jpg
thumbnail_IMAG1016.jpg

Later

Good Evening Gents
I found 2 things today, this pic of a beet train and my Myron Floren CD. Once I got Myron playin, I was able to do some more wiring on the mill tracks.
beet train.jpg

Chet, The mill opened in 1898 I think and closed down 3 times, the final time was 1993. Biggest reason was corn syrup but better paying crops and lower prices helped drive it into the ground. That main building was all brick!

Dave...Myron Floren? ;) He was excellent on the accordion. Just don't hear him mentioned too often. One of the PBS secondary channels over the air from Long Island carries Lawrence Welk's program, featuring Myron. inthe 60s and 70s Welk was must see TV for my mom. Those beet trains must have been amazing to behold. Agribusiness is all feast or famine.

Curt: That reverse loop is some good track work. I chickened out trying the static grass today, perhaps tomorrow. I think Ken in MD did a separate post about his experiences with static grass a couple months ago.

Chet: I work on the layout each day, knowing that one morning we are going to decide to pack up and go. Having to shovel my driveway (24'x20'), was enough to last me for the year. One more, might put us over the edge. We would have been gone, if the MIL hadn't become unable to care for herself. Once her long term care arrangements can be finalized, we can go. I really need to downsize my fleet also.
My plan is for a room sized layout like Scott Perry's "Heart of Georgia" layout featured in 2013. Characterized as a beginner's layout and an improvement over a 4x8, it can also serve as the basis for a downsizer's layout. In fact, one can almost characterize my Chester & Delaware River as a enlarged point to point version of the HOG. All depends on how much space is available in a new location. I enjoy the photos of your layout, keep featuring it, please. It ranks with Garry's and Willie's as a source for good ideas.

Wanamaker Ave Crossings-3.jpg

This is as far as I have gotten with ballast and groundcover, trees and bushes etc. I have a couple of crossbucks based on Reading cast iron warning signs for the Reading Crossing, and the space in the back right to fill.
Wanamaker Ave Crossings-2.jpg

This is a driver's seat view of the crossing, which I now realize, I should have cropped. At the vey top of this photo, you can see the actual 2018 view from this crossing, which I'm working with.

Tom and Guy: Somehow, I missed your models. The Grain drying tower, and the Hardware store are both neat.

Well, it's time for my weekly ration of Jack, so later y'all.

heading out of town for few days, so thought I'd drop these off for all the Scandahuvians to have for afternoon tea.
made by some cousins & siblings
the 7 required cookies, lefse, lutefisk,rossettes,gravlax View attachment 122041View attachment 122042View attachment 122043View attachment 122044View attachment 122045

Looks great!

We'll probably not have Lutefisk for Christmas Eve this year given the Covid business. Normally we congregate at my Uncle's house and they provide Lutefisk (and Salmon), Flatbrød, potatoes, carrots, etc. We also have Krumkake (the cone looking things above), fattigmanner, pepper cookies, spritz, and a bunch of other cookies. I'll miss it this year :( . I think it will just be my family and my parents together. Not sure what the menu will be Christmas Eve (or Christmas Day -- normally we are at my parents' that day).

We usually have a Norwegian pepper cookie recipe but the very best ones I've ever had were from a recipe from a Finnish friend of ours. Korvatunturin Piparkakut.

Last edited:
Mikey - Excellent photos.
Here are a couple more with the town, from both sides.
As you can see, there is plenty of room for expansion here.
Gardner Tie and Timber is named for Stephen Gardner, a member who helped conceive, design, build benchwork and began laying track before he became to ill to play trains. He died of heart disease about 4 years ago and the club named the layout in his memory. The paddle wheeler is moored at Hope's Landing, named for Steve's wife, who passed away 14 months after Steve.

Attachments

• 2020 mid town.jpg
    2020 mid town.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 2020 back of town.jpg
    2020 back of town.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 124
  • 2020 space 2b grow.jpg
    2020 space 2b grow.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 116
Good evening Shop Dwellers, it's 28*F , cloudy and calm in my central MD neighborhood. Might be getting a bit of snow/rain mix in the morning.

Nothing new to report, other than the wife and I went to babysit for Daughter #1 and SIL this evening. While there I re-learned an old skill from 30 years ago: how to feed a 3-week-old baby. I figured that now since he's started opening his eyes, I should give him as many chances as possible to bond with his ol' Granddad.

.... I chickened out trying the static grass today, perhaps tomorrow. I think Ken in MD did a separate post about his experiences with static grass a couple months ago.
Joe - here's the link if you want to review it: https://modelrailroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/anatomy-of-an-epic-scenery-fail.32116/

. . .
IBKen - Years ago I had a snowblower that mounted on the front of out Ariens tractor. The tractor died after 25 years of hard use and I ended up getting another tractor and just put a plow on it. Works fine until you run out of room to plow it. Got an end of the year deal on a Craftsman that was regularly $995 for only $650. Haven't needed it much, but when I did, it was there and does a great job. Here's my daughter in law making the driveway wider. She's a real winner. Love machinery.
View attachment 122094 She love to run it.
. . .
Chet - One of the reasons I hesitated for so long to buy a snowblower, was because they just don't make 'em to last 25 years the way they did before we surrendered all of our manufacturing to the Chinese. I'm hoping to get at least 15 seasons out of this Toro [NOT made in China!], which is probably the amount of time I have left before I'm no longer physically able to maintain my current property.

Tom O - the scratchbuilt grain dryers look great! Seeing your photos reminds me of all the fun I had 15 years ago scratch-building all the structures for my steel mill.

Again thank you everyone on the well wishes etc. Today was a much better day pain wise. I rested mostly. I took a picture of my backyard/property as the late morning sun made it look purdy... I own about 20 yards back into the tree lines. I am hoping to secure the 47 acres this spring that is adjacent to my 1.5 acres. We shall see. I own other properties as well but I want to buy this so no one builds behind me.

20201219_103441.jpg

Anyways I waited for the postman to show up. I got one package that came I will share this on the RPO thread....I was hoping to get some of my buildings. Maybe they will show up on Monday.

Today hovered around 10 degrees. It's supposed to warm up a little to like 30 degrees. Currently it's 13 and snowing again here a 2:00am. I am up as I rested alot today so zombie land here I am.

A lot of activity here today. Good to see all these pictures and updates! Awesome!

I plan to do some work in the train room tomorrow. I think the pain will lessen even more. So I should be able to do a little bit of something.

Currently I am doing a little sniping on evil bay. Scoring some more much needed structures for the layout. So far I am 4 for 4.... ;)

Peace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back