Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year Gentlemen.
Progress has been slow going on "Truckers Gulch". Building this is new territory for me, and as one who has dragged chains & binders through the dirt most of my life, I have not evolved into the "artist" type. Its difficult for me to put whats in my head onto the bench. Is this normal? I was going to post this pic several weeks ago but then Texas Hobo posted 4 pics, 2 of which had a couple of very nice looking bridges and I cant follow that! This little scene has been a great learning experience though and I want to finish all my mistakes in one spot before moving to the next area which should be the Union Sugar Mill. Train show this weekend in Sacramento which I will attend and maybe find some good deals on a few things I need. Everyone's pictures of their work still amazes me. Hope I can do 1/2 as well in the near future.
Max Diyer ( Jim) Was it you that has been a lifelong truckdriver,49 yrs.? Me too.
Hope next year is better for all. Oh, and Flo? Can I get a gin & tonic here?
Dave in PV
IMG_4362.JPG

The "lost wax" method B-Bob. Cast the item in wax, paint it, let dry, melt the wax out.
Actually, it was reported back in the 1950's in a very authoritative motoring annual, that the straight 8 racing engines that Mercedes Benz used in their GP and road racing cars of the time (W196 & 300SLR) had the light alloy cylinder block and crankcase, cast sans the cooling jackets. These were added later by this lost wax method and by electroplating in copper. The aim, to save weight. They also used desmodromic valves to eliminate valve float (bounce).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back