Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone. 28 and sunny - will warm into the 40s today. Last nice day for a while, with snow and ice predicted for this part of the world Friday and Saturday.

Thank you all for the continued prayers and well-wishes. I'll be glad when Friday morning is over and my wife can recover from all this. And me, too.

Stopped in at the LHS yesterday to pick up some things for that new section of the layout. While there, my wife found a few things to put under the tree. She knows me too well!!

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone..........Overcast and a damp day here in Wisconsin.

I was surprised this morning when I opened the Forum and found four photographs of my Chicago, Milwaukee & Northern Railroad featured in the Photo Gallery at the top of the web site page.

Last night I was even more surprised to open the January 2019 issue of Model Railroader and find two articles of great personal interest to me. The first is the article on Jim Hediger's famous Ohio & Southern HO layout, the layout that pioneered double decked layouts. I met Jim on many occasions and had the opportunity to visit Jim's layout in the mid 1990's. This layout has flawless track-work. I also arranged a tour the Kalmbach Publishing offices and the Kalmbach model railroad layout, the Milwaukee, Racine & Troy for our informal model railroading group. Jim spend almost two and half hours giving the group of complete tour of MR&T as well the other project layouts that MR constructed over the years.

Jim's residence is a short mile and a half from where I live and when I was in high school I used to hunt small game and deer on the site where his house was built.

The other article was about John Tew's Timber River Railway located in Sussex, Wisconsin which is near my home.. Model Railroader's Video Plus has a almost 20 minute video on John's ore hauling railway set in primarily in upper Minnesota and the far northwest corner of Wisconsin. I have an interest in ore cars and John's collection of ore cars is unsurpassed. The night scene photograph of John's engine servicing terminal and the Walter's turn table is outstanding. Walther's also has a video on how John installed the 130 feet turn table on his railway. Hopefully, someday I can visit John's layout and see his work first hand.

Today...back to the mine project and do some site scenic work around the mine and install three KD uncouplers at the entrance to the loading hopper. Time moves fast when I work on the layout and I enjoy the results of my modeling efforts and I learn something new almost every time I start a project.

I better get moving along.

Later.

Greg

##################

Last edited:
“Customer states heated recliners not heating”.
0CCFED45-4A5D-41A4-A360-00A322D45994.jpeg

Good Morning -- 38 degrees only going to 55 today. LOL, I'm tired of winter already.
We got some weather just to the north of us, could bring rain - must be raining 15-20 miles there?

GREG - Really nice writeup on the local front of model RR ing near you. The fact that you visit Walthers every now and then has got to be a joy in and of itself. As a kid growing up in the country, I always made several visits to the fairgrounds in Shreveport where KCS had a large layout running with 3-4 trains. I also never failed to visit one hobby shop that was floor to ceiling with airplanes and trains. At that time I was more interested in building airplanes of balsa with tissue covering, but just dreamed of the HO trains lacking the funds to purchase anything more than a few sticks of balsa and some glue.
I have no idea who GB will select for a coach. GB has a bunch of young players who just need to get their heads on straight - too many bad mistakes on defence. I just hope Rogers has not become "gun shy" after taking some injuries he has had.
Funny thing is that a client, HUGE GB FAN, of MOH just came by for a haircut the day before the game and I told him that GB needed a new coach - and bam! It happened.

On the home front - a couple nights of heavy Vick's Vapor has cured the sore throat - YAY!
I did manage to get a little firewood yesterday. Neighbor had a friend who did some massive pine tree trimming and I'm getting that for free. It will be maybe 1/4 cord all total, but will burn real fast. It's a start!

That's all I have at the moment. BTW we have almost wet the street here, but still seems most of the rain is just to the north only a few miles.

Trainroom update. And you fellows thought I gave up! Progress has been very slow as I went back to work full time for 10 weeks ending Oct 14th. Then I had to go to Maui with the Mrs for a week. Then I hurt my back dragging her luggage and others (who I thought were older and weaker than me) off carousels and shuttles & out of rental cars. What should have been several days of recovery has now been 6 weeks but now seems well enough that I painted the "sky" above the benchwork. Ive decided not to build the shelf all the way around the room yet but concentrate on short sections at a time so mistakes are limited to several feet at a time. Still looking at an around the room with a peninsula for a sugar mill and small oil refinery.
Dave
IMG_3628.JPG

DAVE -- I'm sure that it just crushed you to have to go to Maui? Sorry about the back. All I have to do is turn quickly and mine sometimes grabs and talks back to me.
The blue looks good - nice shade. HO or N -- I forgot!

Been raining light, but steady for over 2 hours - I think more heavy in the Riverside area.
I forgot to put my rain bucket out - darn!

DAVE -- I'm sure that it just crushed you to have to go to Maui? Sorry about the back. All I have to do is turn quickly and mine sometimes grabs and talks back to me.
The blue looks good - nice shade. HO or N -- I forgot!

Been raining light, but steady for over 2 hours - I think more heavy in the Riverside area.
I forgot to put my rain bucket out - darn!
HO

Trainroom update. And you fellows thought I gave up! Progress has been very slow as I went back to work full time for 10 weeks ending Oct 14th. Then I had to go to Maui with the Mrs for a week. Then I hurt my back dragging her luggage and others (who I thought were older and weaker than me) off carousels and shuttles & out of rental cars. What should have been several days of recovery has now been 6 weeks but now seems well enough that I painted the "sky" above the benchwork. Ive decided not to build the shelf all the way around the room yet but concentrate on short sections at a time so mistakes are limited to several feet at a time. Still looking at an around the room with a peninsula for a sugar mill and small oil refinery.
Dave
View attachment 32291
Looking good Dave. You may want to think about running those supports at an angle from the wall at the bottom up to the edge of the shelf. It saves the feet and the layout as you shuffle sideways following a train your feet WILL hit those supports! Just sayin, I've done it and am glad where they are vertical they are TAPCONNED to the concrete so the foot will loose and not the layout in any unwanted encounter. I got the idea from the forum and did it wherever possible. Some may recall my oddesy of the 500 sq foot table. It's still there, no track set up at the moment. Family distractions and a minor water issue have halted construction but it's not going anywhere and neither am I and I hope to post some photos at least this coming year. Keep up the good work it's a lot of "OJT" so don't be afraid to go slow.

Happy Rolling!

Good Afternoon Everyone.....again overcast here in Wisconsin.

This morning took the Mrs. to the hospital for tests and she passed with flying colors.

Louis and Terry: I agree with your thoughts about our hobby being expensive, but worth it. A nice locomotive may holds its value better than some funds I have invested in as we experience the stock market's decline. Today the DJIA is down 800 points....WOW!!!

The $$$ spent on our hobby is worth every penny and the level of our satisfaction the hobby provides can't have a price tag attached to it. (At least my wife doesn't know what I spend in a year.)

Greg I'm glad to hear the good news about your wife's tests.

As far as how much money you spend, I'll let Sgt. Schultz handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back