Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

I thinks that you and your wife are really doing good trying to help out this girl. This is a great gesture.

Garry, check for a PM.

Now out to try to find some hobby shops.

Good morning folks.

It's sunny and cold today. I guess that's par for the course for this time of year. The good news is that daylight savings time starts in three weeks!

I don't think I have a choice so I may as well act like I'm on board for now! Now I just have to convince the three cats that dogs are fun! Wish me luck!:D

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning, 7 below zero here but we get to enjoy some sun as well. We just got a dusting of snow over the last few days.

Corey--hope you have an easy time adjusting to the house guest!! It is kind of you to go along with this.

lasm

"House guests".....
I've been through this twice. Both single parents with a small daughter (pre-K).
Do yourself and your sanity a favor and set a time-limit.
My first friend kind of really didn't have anywhere to go at the time. After a few months they found somewhere to go.
The 2nd was the wife of a good friend of mine. My ex was her good friend so that put me in a really uncomfortable situation. Especially when she started messing around with another really good friend of ours. She was only going to stay a couple weeks. After a solid six months later I had to say something.

I wouldn't count my little brother in that group. He was in the Navy and I was happy to have him around when he was on leave. He had changed his address to my house and left all his worldly goods with me while he was gone. His plan was to go straight into college here in GA when he got out so having his address well-established at my house was only logical. Plus he was stationed out of Mayport and later at NAS-JAX in FL and family all lives in IL. We made good use of his DOD card at the PX when he had some extended leave.

E

Corey you will be rewarded for your kindness in one way or another, God bless you my friend for helping someone in their time of need. You are lucky to have such a wonderful wife, maybe this is your chance to show your appreciation for her.

Good luck with the cats and the dog.

Good morning folks.

It's sunny and cold today. I guess that's par for the course for this time of year. The good news is that daylight savings time starts in three weeks!

I have an interesting development going on in my house. A girl that use to work for my wife is having a tough time in life and needs help. From the sounds of it, she had abandonment issues with her parents that have carried over to her adult life. She had an apartment with her boyfriend and a good job with my wife's company. Well, she broke up with her boyfriend and quit her job during the break up turmoil. There is more to the story than that but it sets the stage for me to possibly have a house guest for the next few days/months. She's a nice girl with a very nice dog. We have a five bedroom house with only two in use, one for sleeping, one for trains! I'm not that excited to share our home with someone but everyone needs a leg up every once in a while. My wife is a very good influence on most people she meets, including myself, and wants to do this. I guess she has started a new job but needs a bit of time to save up for all the expenses that come with signing a lease. I don't think I have a choice so I may as well act like I'm on board for now! Now I just have to convince the three cats that dogs are fun! Wish me luck!:D

Have a good day everyone.

Corey ... You and your wife are doing the right things and will be rewarded.

My wife and I did something somewhat similar several years ago. .... We were on a trip to Florida, and went out of our way to see my wife's sister in the middle of the state. It had been years since we had seen her, and my wife (Shelley) was very shocked to see the deplorable conditions her sister lived in. By then, her sister's "friends" were low life people to say the least. ... We returned home and began thinking we should rescue her sister. ... Later, Shelley received one of the saddest letters in the mail from her sister. It was written from the county jail where her sister was an inmate. .... She had been framed by one of her low life "friends", and law enforcement had a "guilt by association" attitude. ... Upon release from jail, she talked her way into being admitted to a mental institution because she did not want to live with her "friends" .... We called the institution, and we were told Shelley's sister (Janet) could not continue staying there. One of the nurses kindly offered to take Janet to the bus station. We paid Greyhound with a credit card so Janet had a ticket to Nashville, TN. We picked up Janet in Nashville, and she only brought the clothes she was wearing... .. Janet had to go back to Florida to go to criminal court. The court appointed attorney definitely did not earn his fees paid by the government. The best Janet could do was agree to be on probation 3 years even though she was really not guilty. Authorities agreed she could serve probation with us in KY.. .. We had gone to Florida in my truck so we could haul Janet's property in trailer back with us. It was sad how little property she owned. .... Janet stayed with us until she moved to a trailer in a campground. We bought the trailer. The campground broke its promise to install year-round plumbing for Janet, and we moved her away. (The trailer was then moved to our driveway and stayed there until we traded it for an old Porsche in poor condition. That's another story. ) .... She moved to a cabin in the country. We provided her transportation in our vehicles. .. We took her to doctor appointments. We also took her to a church where they had a weekly program which helped people with various person problems. .... Janet's health deteriorated. She had COPD. ... Her final 16 days were in intensive care with a tube in her throat. ... Shelley and I are glad Janet's final year of life was peaceful with us in KY.

Corey,
Hope everything works out for you. Over 40 years ago, we had purchased our house and shortly thereafter a situation developed with my sister & her family. They were having a new house built when the builder informed her there was going to be a 6 or 7 month delay in the completion. As their lease was expiring and not renewable, they had nowhere to go. Long story short, we had them move in with us. Talk about instant family. There was not only my sister, her husband & my 2 nephews, ages about 6 & 3, but the weekend they were to move in with us, my sister gave birth to my niece. So we had a newborn when she was discharged from the hospital. We got lucky & things worked out great. Never an arguement, & we really did enjoy the kids. A little more than 6 months later, they moved into their new home. The wife & I were lost. The house seemed so empty & quiet, it was eerie. Took a long time for us to adjust. Here's hoping your experience ends up with a lot of great memories like we have.
Tom

I found a pretty cool trestle photo the other day, I just noticed that there is an old one laying in the stream and a bunch of rubble on the embankment, check it out:

Train20.jpg

Loius--notice the spacing of the pilings as well. Either they flunked math or they had some extra pieces they wanted to use up (on the left end)

Could that have been because they did not have a stone foundation like they did on the other side? I am no engineer, but that job looks like a "hurry up and get done" job.

From my experience when you hurry up you f up.

Back to the hotel room again. I was able to find the hobby shops in Port Orange and Ormond Beach. I didn't find anything that wanted to make me part with much money, but it was nice to see some of the newer items available in the hobby. I really have all of the locomotives and rolling stock that I think I need for the time being. Picked up mostly scenery and detail items. It was nice to just browse and not be in search of something in particular. If I have time, I may go back.

Got a phone call from the old racing team and went to the track for a bit in the afternoon and looked around a bit. It wasn't the nicest day out. I understand that it is supposed to get into the mid 40's tonight with rain and only up to around 60 tomorrow. I won't complain with what the people in the northeast are having to put up with.

I don't have any train pictures with me on the laptop so here are a couple of pictures from the track this afternoon.

9b1c1_daytona_international_speedway_3412317535_572a6d93a3_o.jpg4578809-Daytona_International_Speedway_Daytona_Beach.jpg

I'm staying at the quality Inn across from the track and I can hear the beer at Hooters a couple of blocks up the street calling.

Good evening all.

notice the spacing of the pilings as well. Either they flunked math or they had some extra pieces they wanted to use up (on the left end)

Say LASM, Could have been that the ground was lacking support on that end too, but granted, it's not common.

On the layout, I am continuing to build a stock yard for shipments of cattle to originate.
Happy Model Railroading.

Say Garry, I'm not sure I understand when you say, 'for shipments of cattle to originate'?

Also, are you scratch building the stock pens or is this from a kit? Walthers had a very nice kit but possibly a little pricy?
Even Lifelike's kit with a little painting makes into decent looking stock pens and the price is right.. I have to add some to my layout down the road a bit too.

Say Corey & Garry, God Bless both of you for helping the individuals out, you've both had your hands full alright!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have any train pictures with me on the laptop so here are a couple of pictures from the track this afternoon.

I'm staying at the quality Inn across from the track and I can hear the beer at Hooters a couple of blocks up the street calling.

Good evening all.

Don't worry about train pics right now! Come Sunday afternoon you can get all the 200 MPH "freight train" pics you can stand. ;)

Nothing like a few pitchers of beers and Hooters wings!! Haven't had any in a looong time.
Have plenty of both for me please!!!!
E.

I found a pretty cool trestle photo the other day, I just noticed that there is an old one laying in the stream and a bunch of rubble on the embankment, check it out:

Flash flood perhaps? However, the flash floods I've been through in western NC mountains wouldn't have left anything, including the abutments, behind.

View attachment 48509

I would say it's the result of a washout and the extra timbers are to compensate for unstable footing at that end. Louis, I think it's a case of the environment not having much regard for the original bridge :rolleyes:

Good evening. I just checked the status of my Ebay purchase, and it shows being out for delivery, as of 9 this morning. I think there has been a further delay, as I can't remember the last time I saw a mail truck out delivering packages at 7 at night.

I'm sending another of my recent purchases in to Intermountain, it was supposed to have sound, and doesn't.

Bruette:

I think the passenger train is the B&O's Royal Blue, and it's on the Thomas viaduct. Always an impressive structure to see, and a great photo of steam at the height of the passenger era!

Good evening. I just checked the status of my Ebay purchase, and it shows being out for delivery, as of 9 this morning. I think there has been a further delay, as I can't remember the last time I saw a mail truck out delivering packages at 7 at night.

I'm sending another of my recent purchases in to Intermountain, it was supposed to have sound, and doesn't.

I wouldn't go taking any lottery tickets for a while yet Terry. :(

Back