Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

I appreciate the offer. Transportation is a private jet, unfortunately, or for me fortunately as I have given up flying commercially if at all possible. Sure not what it used to be. As I mentioned, we to try to make a few races each year and I will look you up if we get any where near the Atlanta area. Even the Talledega track is close enough. We usually drive but years back I did a bit of road racing and met and made good friends with some other race fans when I was on the Florida Highway Patrol. This is an annual trip that a friend in Washington state does and picks me and another friend up on the way to Daytona. It's the only way to fly, no TSA and their BS.

Talledega is only about a 2 hour drive from here.
AMS (Atlanta Motor Speedway) is good hour south from here.
Even Bristol isn't that terrible far away - 4 hours max I would think.

One of my surveyor buddies did all the survey grading work when they re-surfaced the Bristol track several years ago.
A childhood friend/neighbor is now all grown up and she's one of the private pilots for the Hendricks teams.
No, she wasn't on the plane that went down years ago.

Back in the very early 70s while living in Franklin, IN, Gordon Johncock (2-time Indy 500 winner) lived next door to us. They had a party one night and invited my folks over. A few of us local boys were invited to come and meet some guests: AJ Foyt, Al Unser Sr, and Little Al. and a couple other. The next day Mrs. Johncock hired me to come over and help clean up. I was her little buddy so I was always over there. She had to go to the store and left me to continue working and to answer the phone and take messages should anyone call. Sure enough, I got 6 (six) calls from none other that AJ Foyt himself. He remembered me and we talked at length.
For an 11 year old kid that was talking to God himself!!!!
How cool that was!!
E

Morning Everyone!
48 and foggy this morning. Fog will dissipate in a couple hours and will be clear with a high of 74 today

I like the "star" photos, but how about some trains ?
Here's one for you Milwk Fans

image.jpg

Morton Grove, IL .. No date listed

I can't believe how Bristol has changed. I can remember when I first attended a race eons ago. I done thank it sat more than 30 to 40 thousand people. There are only a few tracks that I haven't been to and in time I guess we'll get there, but I won't go into California. Those 2 tracks are off of my list. I wouldn't attend a road race in person anyway, so that just leaves Fontana off the list.

31*F and snowing quite heavily here in the Baltimore metro area. Hopefully the SHA will have the roads plowed and salted when it's time for me to drive home.

What was the tip? "Don't give up your day job"?

Close, but no cigar for you young man! From memory it was something like:

"Just because you failed your People Skills 101 test, you can redo that part of the course you know..."

Or was it ...

"I see your actually a Horticulturalist, this is just a part time job then ... right?..."

Or was it ...

"Good effort Miss, but the "butt and boobs thing" just isn't doing it..."

I knew it would only be a matter of time before someone asked!

Yeah, me too - sorta surprised how long it took really :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Raybestos semi with trailor/H O , says Buick on sides. Rear door comes down,forms a ramp and a race car comes out Has #12 on top and sides. Trailor has drivers name , in cursive , can make out first name,Phil but last name very hard to read.Could be a S . Last letters // --tha??? Any ideas who?
Dated on bottom of trailor-1990 / Racing Champions. Made in China.
Phil

I have a Raybestos semi with trailor/H O , says Buick on sides. Rear door comes down,forms a ramp and a race car comes out Has #12 on top and sides. Trailor has drivers name , in cursive , can make out first name,Phil but last name very hard to read.Could be a S . Last letters // --tha??? Any ideas who?
Dated on bottom of trailor-1990 / Racing Champions. Made in China.
Phil

There was a Phil Parsons in NASCAR in the early 80s to early 90s.

I have seen doctors signatures but This just as bad. Ain't no way its Parsons.
Thanks for trying.
Phil

Can't help with a name but try googling 1980's car racing champions. If the model is suppose to replicate a Race Champion, you might be able to the name that way.

My guess is that the model doesn't reproduce one from 1990, but an earlier year; hence my suggesting searching for Race Champions from the 80's.

Thanks Tony. Good suggestion. I'm still learning my way around this electronic frustrater. Know what to do but not how. Will have to wait till later and ask MOH for help. Hell , I'm lucky to just find this forum.
You Yankees stay warm and dry while this "DAMN YANKEE" shivers in temps that go below 60.
Phil

This mornings sun quickly faded, and it's been snowing for the last hour. This one should be done by 2100 tonight, so we shouldn't have much. However, they are threatening a major Atlantic storm this weekend, with the possibility of significant snow. This was enough to prompt me to replace the drive and auger belts on my snow thrower. The parts have been sitting on the work bench since last October. It starts and runs, so I'm ready.

Thanks Tony. Good suggestion. I'm still learning my way around this electronic frustrater. Know what to do but not how. Will have to wait till later and ask MOH for help. Hell , I'm lucky to just find this forum.

Yeah, having the means to do something is great - unless you are unsure of how to use it. Your not alone mate, trust me :)

You Yankees stay warm and dry while this "DAMN YANKEE" shivers in temps that go below 60.
Phil

Agreed, Yankee's shouldn't complain, problem is - I aint a Yankee! :)

That being said, I'd kill for 60 F temps right now, hell I'd settle for 40 F :)

Sirfoldalot

I agree, here is one pretty locomotive!

GM50_13.jpg
I painted a Lionel GP7 in that scheme back in the 1980's. It looked really good, ran good, as well. The Geep was a hodgepodge of parts and pieces from several Geeps, and I think the motor was out of an old F3.

Back