Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Jeff - glad to hear your getting a set of 'upgraded' prostheses.

Cold and wet around these parts, with some of that white material falling from the sky that Karl was referring to. I'm soooo glad we have GoogleMaps to check traffic. I did that at 6pm as I was about to leave the office, and I saw solid red on all the major highways between my job and my house! Accidents everywhere. Many people in this state just can't handle driving these conditions. Especially those kids with their 4WD pickups and SUVs, who think they can stop as easily as they can start moving! I took the back way home and slowed down for the many curves, don't want to experience any more spin-outs like I did in 2008.

On the mrr front: Since I finished the ballasting, I've been focused on building this Walthers concrete coaling tower as an abandoned structure for my loco terminal. I'm 99% finished with the assembly, the only thing left after this is weathering. I want to round up some reference photos before I go slapping a bunch of Bragdon powders on it.

Have a good evening and stay warm!

Good afternoon,
Say Francine, I'll have a cup of coffee when you get a chance and some of the flavored cream. What flavor, anything you happen to grab is fine.
~ ~

It rained earlier this morning, but just a light rain fine rain but it still amounted to .025", thankfully all the roof patching seemed to take care of the leaks I had prior. Per Wunderground Weather it reads as such: 52.3 °F at 6:20 Pm, Feels like 52.3 °F, the wind is from the East at 4.2 mph.
Humidity is, it doesn't seem to want to come through but I would guess it about 95% out as it's still quite cloudy and cool. Tonights low is supposed to be down to 43 °F which is quite cool here in the foothills. No more rain forcast for the next few days.

= = =
For me the early years were living in a small house in Woodland Hills, Calif., formerly known as Gerard, an area that would later become built up quite a bit, but there were lots of open fields to roam and adventures to be had. I was always on the look out for new friends that might move in and they did after some time. I didn't know what a Out-House [OH] was till I got a little older as we had tap water and flush toilet but as time went on and we went here or there I became familiar with OH. The neighbors diagonally across the street to the Right had chickens had chickens as they had three adjoining lots and they may have had an OH? I was quite young then 2yrs when the folks moved there and I think I was 3-4 when I remember a fellow who used to come around delivering block Ice on a flat bed truck? After a while Dad would have to drive over to Canoga park near a rail siding where there was an Ice House but that only happened for a couple of years till the folks got a Westinghouse Refrigerator and got rid of the old Ice Box. We had electricity and a natural gas stove and oven. I do remember that sometimes the farmers would come around selling produce too as the area was mainly all agriculture and citrus trees.

The nearest Railroad tracks were in the Canoga Park area North of Sherman Way but I don't know what line ran on the trackage? Probably the SP or maybe Santa Fe.

Our first TV was also a B&W, Phillips? I think and just like everyone else the screen had the test pattern that would come on around Midnight and again in the morning around 6:00 I think but usually the folks never had it on that early. We had a radio prior to the TV but I don't remember what kind it was. I learned to ride an old baloon tire bicycle when I was about 6 I think and had a paper route when I was about 9 or 10 as I recall delivering the Pink Sheet News Paper. I also got to keep a small bit from what I collected but not everyone paid as it was a free paper so it was up to the home owner if they wanted to pay or not?

I did ride the Old overhead Electric trolley from studio City down into the main Los Angeles area and into their underground station if memory serves me correctly. I guess the other rails lines were all above ground but I didn't really take note.

I had a Lionel train from shortly after the time I was born as my Mom's father who was in New York bought a set for me and my cousin so I grew up with trains changing over to HO some time about when I was 8 years old I believe and have stayed with the scale ever since.
Back then there was a hobby shop, Earls on Topanga just South of Ventura Blvd. where I bought the old Atlas fiber tie track that was harder than heck to work with but managed to get a small layout built with the help of my Dad. My first locomotive was a an 0-4-0 Mantua with a slope back tender and I watched it run around for hours on end and Dad would bring home some old Ulrich kits I would build to have cars to pull around.

Getting back to the actual Railroads the lines ran along the Pacific Ocean that was 14 miles South of my area and in the valley they ran to the East and West but farther North as when they headed to the North West they climbed over Santa Susana Pass and dropped down into the Semi-Valley and then North into Ojai. So Canoga park was the closest spot to see much of any RR activity and it seemed I only saw that on occasion.

It's been very enjoyable hearing the various things every one experienced growing up!

Evening All,
I have 22 Peco turnouts that have the spring still installed and I manually operate them. I thought the ground throws I had looked out of scale and clunky.

IMG_1579_zps4ad41a86.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Curt, is that HO scale ballast, it looks small to me but very much to scale. As I recall some of the supposed scale ballast I've seen in the past was on the large size. I like the looks of what you used and your close-up shot looks very good too!

Good evening. Well, it's 34° in Central Jersey, and that "S***" stuff is falling. So far it has only covered the lid of the garbage can.

Busy day today, we had to go to return a purchase at an outlet mall, then drive to the regional mall so the wife could by some Bayberry candles, then we drove out to a orchard/gourmet shop, where we spent 50 bucks on tasty items not generally available at the local ShopRite.

After lunch we went over to the Manesquan Reservoir County Park, for a walk along the trail. It definitely was a winter sky,although at that point the temperature was still in the 50s. We walked a mile, observed several flocks of migrating ducks and geese, then turned back. About two thirds of the way back we encountered a Park Ranger, who told us a Bald Eagle was on a tree about 100 yards off the trail about 500 yards ahead of us. While judging distance is not my best attribute, after what I thought was the appropriate distance, I saw the magnificent bird at the top of a tree at the water's edge. While the wife attempted to take a photo from her I-phone, I noticed a second eagle about a hundred yards away from the first. (Damn, they are big birds). We then resumed our walk. Cool experience seeing two Bald Eagles.

My first Capitol Limited car, a Budd Slumbercoach, arrived today. It's pretty much the same as the previous version, but with the shiny plated finish. The car came with optional alternate couplers/ draft gear for sharp radius curves. 9 more to go + 2 unit diesel.

Joe

COFFEE_POURING-Copy.png

COFFEE_SIGN.png

Good Morning! Today is Fri 11/14/14.

Flurries possible with a high of 32. I'll be trying to keep warm today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

How to make your flanges a more prototypical size

The Deoxit looks OK, but not so sure 'bout 2000 grit.

[YOUTUBE]hK-b9ajNRZE[/YOUTUBE]

Good morning... We dodged the s - word here in southeastern Wisconsin this week, although there was plenty "Up Nort'".... But it's been cold all week. A flurry possible this morning, but sunny later.

Today is a red-letter day around here. DairyStateKid-M makes it official, going up to Milwaukee to sign on the dotted line for his enlistment in the Army Reserves. My wife and I will both break away from work tasks to go witness it. So will his older brother, who got time off from work to do the same. The object of all this attention is a bit perplexed by why everyone is making such a big deal over it.

Once that's done, he'll finish out his senior year of high school, then go on to basic this coming summer... Who ever would have thunk it...

Sent from the DairyStatePhone. Typoes and bad auto corrects included at no extra charge.

Good Morning; Happy Friday!

36°, and sunny this morning. last nights burst of snow was of no consequence, as the ground is still relatively warm. TV people were really over-hyping the weather, although it's already been this cold on a couple of occasions. I suppose it won't warm to the lower 60s for a while though.......

Yo Curt, those air switch throws look really great. Don't you wish they made functional ones that looked as nice?

Joe

You got us beat, we had +8 F, but that arctic sun sure feels good!!

Between tinkering with my GP-18 and putting ground cover on the layout, not much time for much else around here.

I looked at some awesome layouts on youtube. If anyone is snowed in this weekend, you will probably enjoy this one, It looks like a lot of northern areas in Michigan, Wisconsin, or Minnesota.

[video=youtube;cpP4HD1deSw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpP4HD1deSw[/video]

He did a good job modelling the pulp cars and small street scenes. I think it is a high level of realism.

lasm

... And after 2 hrs wait, the paperwork was screwed up, so the whole thing will end up being rescheduled... My son is pretty annoyed, and I can't say that I blame him...

Sent from the DairyStatePhone. Typoes and bad auto corrects included at no extra charge.

Get used to it. Typical army snafu. All tho it's better than a FUBAR. I remember when the sarge would say- Take 10, we would expect 5 and get going after 2
Ah. to be young again and WET behind the ears. lol
Hope you Yankees and Canucks are well and staying warm. Prayers for all,

Phil

Afternoon All,

Laundry and Grocery Shopping is done for another week. Tomorrow is our annual Homeowners meeting at 10am. I will probably go to the train club later after the meeting. Not a thing is planned for the rest of the day.

David- Thank you. The Ballast is W/S Fine, Mixed Gray, #B1393. When I started ballasting years ago, I was told on a PRR modeling board that this is the closest color to real Pennsy mainline color.

Erik- Please thank your son for his future service. As a retired sailor the paperwork problem does not surprise me. There will be many more paperwork problems he has to deal with.

WJLI26-
Yes that would be neat, but with my wiring skills it would probably turn into a nightmare. The detail parts are from Alexander Scale Parts. I believe Tomar owns them now.

Hope everybody has a goodnight.

Hey everybody!

Joe the Devils are in DC tonight, any thoughts on what to look for? I follow the NBA this time of year, but when ever I can watch the Capitals.

Keep up the hard work Jeffery, I have not been on very much but my prayers are always with you.

We're going to the neighbors tomorrow for a football party. It is Nebraska vs. Wisconsin.

Erik ..... Who should we root for?

We're from Ann Arbor and U of M is not playing tomorrow. Just as well I guess. The team is only 5-5 so far. I'm not used to the Big Ten having 14 teams.

Hey everybody!

Joe the Devils are in DC tonight, any thoughts on what to look for? I follow the NBA this time of year, but when ever I can watch the Capitals.

Louis: A close game with a goal by Cami and a shutout by Schneider:rolleyes:. Of course I know this because I saw the results.......I spent my evening watching Toronto get beaten by Pittsburgh. I always pick the wrong game to watch :rolleyes:.

Not much going on right now.

Have a good evening.

Joe

Back