Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

OH He--!! I'm either a relic , or an old fossil. I remember them all. Heck, even used some.In freezing weather, the top of the milk bottle would be pushed up and their would be a stalk of cream. Gramps 'phone didn't have a dial. Had to give the number to an operator. Had three or four "ICE BOXES" on the back porch.
Ah yes. Memories.
Phil
We had one of the old (it was even old at the time) phones with no dial, and a separate receiver. You cranked a handle, which generated a noise at "central", and you asked the operator for MUrray Hill7-700. You'd pick up the phone and listen for a second, to make sure nobody else was talking.
Out street lights were electric, then, during the height of the gas shortage of 1973-1974, they converted the lights to gas.
We had a Monitor Top fridge, and the service stations had gas pumps that had the little "sight glass" on them, so you could see the fuel flowing through the pump. A soda was a nickel, and the bottle had a two cent deposit. I would drink the soda there, so I didn't have to pay the extra two cents.
Our local radio station rotated its format every hour throughout the day, and was only on the air from 6 am to 10 pm. I would always turn the radio off between 1 and 2 pm, as that was "polka hour".

Wow, I remember all this "old" stuff very well. Either 53 is "old as Methuselah" or I grew up out in the sticks!

What in tarnation are these off of??:confused:

Horns.jpg

Had baked fish for dinner. Tasted like flounder that had floundered! All L can say is breakfast better be fantastic! Got an appointment with my and I didn't quite know what expect. They had to do one leg at a time. Theywired up the left leg and set the machines parameters. I slept through most of it. When it finished they reset everything for the right leg. I slept right though it. When it finished the nurse came in to disconnect the machine. Friends and neighbors, it was at that time she discovered [b[color = red]PTSD[\b][\color]isn't limited to combat vets. Cops and firefighters suffer from it too. The instant she touched my leg I jumped half off the bed and scaredher so badly she screamed and ran from the room!

MUrrayHill was a N.Y. exchange. Gramps had a gas station for a time. Have a picture of Gramma in front of the price per gal- 10cents plus 6 cents Conn. tax. Their 'phone was the tall stalk type.
Prayers and Blessings folks. Pleasent Dreams
Phil

I hope for his sailor's sake, the 4 warships that Pres Putin is bringing with him to the G20, have air conditioning. Forecast temps for this weekend are 41C/105F. Be a bit embarrassing for him if they all came down with heat stroke instead of the show of force he seems keen to present to Queensland. At least it'll be a warmer welcome than he might otherwise expected.

Good evening, I figured many of you would enjoy recalling the various events and even a couple I'm not sure I experienced?
Here's the scale as in the list:
If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

Evening All,

I don't remember who posted the "do you remember?" but I got 18 that I remember. I guess that makes me old.
I hope everyone has a good night.

Yes Curt, it seems you fall in with many of us, as being considered, 'Older than dirt' but also having a good memory, just like, 'me', although your actually younger. I think a lot has to do with area we grew up in as well as how aware we were about our surroundings and general curiosity.

I remember 20. I am not sure if that makes me older than you, or just grew up in a backwards part of the country...

Yes, Gomez, your pretty close to remembering most of them like 'me' and others almost right there with the rest of us, just not quite as old as dirt. But like I said before we all have our memories in good working order and that what counts! God Bless!

i was reading a few pages back about how people dress i see
Film or pic of "RAILFANS" in 50's they are trackside in 3 piece suites, if you showed up
Today trackside in a suite the crews would think it was rail officals trying to fire someone

Yes, it's rather interesting how things such a dress change and the different reactions it evokes from us. Those earlier times were gentler times indeed.

OH He--!! I'm either a relic , or an old fossil. I remember them all. Heck, even used some.In freezing weather, the top of the milk bottle would be pushed up and their would be a stalk of cream. Gramps 'phone didn't have a dial. Had to give the number to an operator. Had three or four "ICE BOXES" on the back porch.
Ah yes. Memories.
Phil

Yes Phil, although you've got me by about 9 years I also well remember the Milk delivery and the cream solidifying above the milk, was that ever good but of course then the milk wasn't quite as creamy when shaken up. Also the glass milk bottles had either a somewhat thick type of flat stopper pressed down in the top or a heavy paper cap over them. I actually have a glass milk bottle from some years back.

As far as the phone that's one I don't believe I experienced at my home but did on the outside some place?

My folks had an Ice Box in the kitchen, it wasn't all that big to store too much in it. We only had it for a while and I can remember riding over to Canoga Park with Dad, about 3 miles from where we lived and going to an Ice House there near some spur line track to get 50 lb. Block Ice. the same as used in the Reefers that must have been iced up there but I was only about 4 or 5 at the time as I recall.
Yes, memories indeed!

We had one of the old (it was even old at the time) phones with no dial, and a separate receiver. You cranked a handle, which generated a noise at "central", and you asked the operator for MUrray Hill7-700. You'd pick up the phone and listen for a second, to make sure nobody else was talking.
Out street lights were electric, then, during the height of the gas shortage of 1973-1974, they converted the lights to gas.
We had a Monitor Top fridge, and the service stations had gas pumps that had the little "sight glass" on them, so you could see the fuel flowing through the pump. A soda was a nickel, and the bottle had a two cent deposit. I would drink the soda there, so I didn't have to pay the extra two cents.
Our local radio station rotated its format every hour throughout the day, and was only on the air from 6 am to 10 pm. I would always turn the radio off between 1 and 2 pm, as that was "polka hour".

Say Gomez, you and Phil are out doing me with the phones you had but I do remember part lines, I think as a kid but believe it or not we still had a 2 party line where I at now and would have to lift the receiver to listen if the line was clear/free of anybody talking or not.

I also remember the old gas pumps even with the large cylinder where you could watch the bubbles of air going through the gas as you pumped it. I also remember that some gas stations had smaller tanks with self service hand crank pumps for Kerosene, White Gas, and different types of motor oil.

The neighbors diagonally across the street owned the local .05 & .10 cent store in Woodland Hills where I grew up and they had the wax bottles bottles of sugar water and I think the bottles of soda and the deposit was the same as you mentioned. I always had to pay the two cents as I ued to go outside to drink the soda but would go back inside to get my deposit back.

I also well remember the old black and White TV and the early test patterns that would come on as well as the old radios before the TV.

Wow, I remember all this "old" stuff very well. Either 53 is "old as Methuselah" or I grew up out in the sticks!

Yes Karl, it seems you fall in with many of us, as being considered, 'Older than dirt', too, but also having a good memory, just like, 'me', although your actually younger. I think a lot has to do with area we grew up in as well as how aware we were about our surroundings and general curiosity. It all carries over into our railroading we do today!

There was only 1 house near my place as a child that had a phone and that belonged to the landlord at the top of the street, otherwise it was a long walk to a public box, A penny or two for 4 mins. There was another street directly opposite on the other side of the gully that separated us that had an icebox in the first house at the top of the street (both streets were fairly steep running down into the gully) and their ice was delivered by horse drawn cart. Because of the street's steepness, it stopped on the connecting road at the top of the ridge and the delivery man carried the block of ice over his shoulder with a hessian sack to insulate him from the cold.

A penny on the tram to get to the small shopping and railway station about a 1/2 hour walk away, didn't get my first bike till I started work. Milk was delivered by the milkman (my father did this job for some time when I was about 4-5) by Ford V8 flatbed pickup trucks fitted with a covered canopy (at least it wasn't horsedrawn) in galvanised steel cans. At the top of the street there was a wooden box on legs, covered at the top, but open front. Each household would put it's "billy" (small metal container with a lid and wire handle) in the box at night and the milkman would fill each every morning with a ladle from a can off the truck. With the advent of bottles (cardboard plugged), schoolkids got a 1/2 pint at school every day (Govt subsidised. NZ had lots of milk). In the summer it would be lovely and warm, bluurgh!, by the time we got to drink it (playlunch).

Ahh, Happy times

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning folks....
Hope that all is well with you lot....
One more shift to go, before the weekend!

3746.1340482101_zpsuszsvsj8.jpg

Extra 21 East has just emerged from Snoqualmie Tunnel at Hyak, summit of the Cascades (2562'). Note poor condition of the siding, still in daily use. That's the Hyak substation in the background, last used in 1971...

6726.1262279255_zpsonbyam5x.jpg

The Upper Peninsula is known for its lake effect snow squalls, especially during Dec.-Feb. A cold northwest wind blowing across the warmer waters of Lake Superior and this is the result. Milw. 192, Soo 2408 are departing Trout Lake with 34 cars during a very intense squall...

Another US related memory from even earlier, must have been about 3, because it would have to been during WW2. NZ, like Aus was a R&R, hospitalisation and stationing place for American servicemen in the Pacific theatre. In Auckland City there was a small amusement park with a sideshow alley and dodgems etc. I can't remember my parents actually taking me there but what sticks in my mind is a US sailor, towering over me, with his arms full of cast clay, painted animals that he must of won at one of the stalls, handing me a small Scotty dog. I think I was awestruck. We had that little ornament for many, many years afterward. Wonder if he survived.

Coffee-pouring-Copy.png

Good Morning! Today is Thu 11/13/14.

Cold with a high of 32. I'll be going back to the club to clean up later today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

The coffee looks good, have a cup in front of me now. Sounds like I fit into the old fart category. We didn't get milk delivery, went out and got it straight from a cow. We cooked on a wood stove until the mid 50's when we finally got a gas stove and a propane tank installed. We also heated with wood until I left home in '64 when I went into the Navy. My mom preferred to cook many thing on the wood stove because for some reason they tasted better. We did have indoor plumbing, but there was still a two holer out back.

We did have a telephone, on a party line, three short rings was our line until about 1958. The phone was a two piece with a separate ear piece and base you hung the ear piece on. Still have it, I have it in the train room. I used to drive our truck to town to the feed store with grain to be bagged and would pick it up after school and take the bagged grain home. Started doing this at 13 and finally got a real license at 15. If you were driving a farm vehicle you drive on public roads without a license. I did get my first car, a 1951 Hudson Hornet when I was 15. I still have the car which I did a restoration on few years ago.

We didn't get TV intil 1956, but could only get one decent channel on the giant 10 inch screen. If the wind was blowing just right we could some times get 2 channels. The radio was used more often.

I did have a number of relatives that worked on both the Milwaukee Road and the Northern Pacific and they allowed me to ride in the cabs of steam, diesel and electric locomotives. That's when I got my taste for trains, and yes, I did have Lionel trains. There was no interstate highway system back then and it would have been a major undertaking to take a road trip to Michigan City, IN where my grandmother lived, so we did take the train, either the Hiawatha or north Coast Limited east to make connections in Chicago to the South Shore line.

Geeze, we sure are spoiled now.

By the way, Minus 18 this morning. This is getting old. When I hear of you guys talking about temps in the 30's above, Whoo Hoo, time to get out the shorts ! ! ! ! !

Woke to a chilly 57 * this morning. Its now about 66 and will get up to near 80. Aint no way this Mommas chile gonna go north. Had my fill of ice and etc. back in winter of 56/57. Call me a DA-- Yankee, don't care! I like being warm. When it gets below 50 I want to go south. Key West or Aruba.[sp] ?
Wood burning stoves were the best. Grmma made bread and cakes that just the smell would have you gain weight.
ttfn
Prayers,
Phil

Howdy ... We have January weather here too.

Flip ... Here, the locals make a distinction between Yankees and D__ Yankees. The D___ Yankees are the ones who stay here instead of going back north.

Regarding old memories, my childhood memories are mostly from growing up in Illinois although I was born in Texas and lived very briefly in TN and MO before IL. We had the first TV in the neighborhood, and it had a round screen with a black and white image. .... The milkman was a friendly guy. Remarkably, he had 12 kids, and each of them was born in a different month of the year. ... Many family trips were by train and I must have traveled on at least two dozen railroads from middle 1940's until Amtrak. .... We also travel by car for some trips. No Interstate highways and no air conditioning. We passed many smelly barnyards ..... Our phone line was a party line at first, but not very long. There was no call waiting of course, and parents limited time of the phone for the teenagers. I recall spending a lot of time working to earn money. .... When I went to college, I had no student loans. I worked a lot and paid tuition at the beginning of the semester.

My adult life was in IL, CO, MI, and KY. .... I recall one winter in Michigan's Upper Peninsula where we had massive amounts of snow. Five storms exceeded three feet of snow. Snow flurries meant about 8 to 12 inches of snow. ..... Most of my years in MI were in the Lower Peninsula. ( Kalamazoo, Detroit suburbs, and Ann Arbor. )

Now I think of the great trains I road before Amtrak, and I miss them.

We picked and shelled feed corn for the hogs by hand, but being kids we made a contest out of it. Did whatever it took to make growing up on a farm more fun. Even though we had neighbors a mile away, I didn't have any friends growing up until first grade. No kindegarten in our school.

Not complaining, it made work easy when I got a regular job and made a paycheck every two weeks. Didn't have to take out any loans to get through my college days, either, just worked like a dog all summer and didn't spend foolishly. Fought wildfires in Minnesota, Wyoming, and Idaho; also marked some dang big timber in Idaho for the Forest Service.

Now I am holding down a desk and watching the snow accumulate. It was a mild +18 F here this morning.

Have a nice afternoon--lasm

Garry- I came to Fla. in 1943. I've become a naturalized Southerner. Well aware of the difference. M-I-L, wife and my two B-I-L's are native born Floridians.
gotta go, ttfn.
Phil

Evening All,

We got the furniture delivered today without incident. I also got the detail parts glued down on the layout. Tomorrow is laundry and grocery shopping. I ordered some grass ground cover from Scenic Express for my coal mountain.

I have 22 Peco turnouts that have the spring still installed and I manually operate them. I thought the ground throws I had looked out of scale and clunky.

IMG_1579_zps4ad41a86.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Had a visit from one of the reps at the Hanger clinic today. They're in the process of making not one but two prosthetic legs for me. Anew one for the left leg and a re-sized replacement for the right leg. I learned today that I will have a new TV to watch by Monday. Most of my time consists of boredom. It would be better if I had something to on. If anybody has a project to contribute you can send it to Jeffrey Wimberly, C\O Rosepine Retirement & Rehabilitation Center18364 Johnny B Hall Memorial Hwy, Rosepine, LA 70659

OMG!
There is white stuff falling from the skies here,,,its cold and wet too! What pray tell could it be?? :confused:

Back