Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

10811616_10152920389279578_111077391_n.jpg
Winter is here

Had baked fish for dinner. Tasted like flounder that had floundered! All L can say is breakfast better be fantastic! Got an appointment with my primary doctor in Leesville tomorrow morning. Appt time is 9:45. My physical therapist is shocked at how agile and able I am. Today we were standing i the parallel bars and she wanted to see if I could stand without the bars. So I took my right hand off the the bar and put it on her left shoulder then took my left hand off the other bar and put it on her right shoulder. She commented that I was doing extremely well. I told her you ain't seen anything yet and caught her in an embrace. She was surprised to say the least! Found a TV in my room today. Maintenance man brought it it. It's an older Sharp CRT model. However it isn't the one I'll be watching. There's a shipment of new 32" flat-screens coming in and he's going to change it out for one of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's something I just received from an older friend and former Marine. It sure brought back some memories!

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up, I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'
'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,'' I explained!
'Mom cooked every day and when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate I was allowed to sit there until I did like it!!!'
By this time, the kid was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.

But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, never wore Levis, never set foot on a golf course, never traveled out of the country or had a credit card.

In their later years they had something called a revolving charge card. The card was good only at Sears Roebuck. Or maybe it was Sears & Roebuck.
Either way, there is no Roebuck anymore. Maybe he died.
My parents never drove me to soccer practice. This was mostly because we never had heard of soccer.
I had a bicycle that weighed probably 50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow)

We didn't have a television in our house until I was 18.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at midnight, after playing the national anthem and a poem about God; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local people.
I was 19 before I tasted my first pizza, it was called 'pizza pie.' When I bit into it, I burned the roof of my mouth and the cheese slid off, swung down, plastered itself against my chin and burned that, too. It's still the best pizza I
ever had. I never had a telephone in my room. The only phone in the house was in the living room and it was on a party line. Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you didn't know weren't already
using the line.

Pizzas were not delivered to our home But milk was.

All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers-- my brother delivered a newspaper, six days a week. It cost 7 cents a paper, of which he got to keep 2 cents. He had to get up at 5 AM every morning.
On Saturday, he had to collect the 42 cents from his customers. His favorite customers were the ones who gave him 50 cents and told him to keep the change. His least favorite customers were the ones who seemed to never be home on collection day.

Movie stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the movies. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or most anything offensive.
If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren
Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
MEMORIES from a friend:
My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my
daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons...Man, I am old!

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor!!!
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Heaters mounted on the inside of the fire wall.
Real ice boxes.
Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.
Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bottom.

1. Blackjack chewing gum
2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water
3. Candy cigarettes
4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles
5. Coffee shops or diners with table side juke boxes
6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
7. Party lines on the telephone
8 Newsreels before the movie
9. P.F. Flyers
10. Butch wax
11. TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels... [if you were fortunate])
12. Peashooters
13. Howdy Doody
14. 45 RPM records
15. S& H green stamps
16. Hi-fi's
17. Metal ice trays with lever
18. Mimeograph paper
19. Blue flashbulb
20. Packards
21. Roller skate keys
22. Cork popguns
23. Drive-ins
24. Studebakers
25. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-5 = You're still young
If you remembered 6-10 = You are getting older
If you remembered 11-15 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered 16-25 = You' re older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the best parts of my life.
Don't forget to pass this along!!
Especially to all your really good OLD friends!

*As to the Stopper top with all the holes in it, I found one in the kitchen junk drawer. Do you remember what they called the bottle with one of those stuck in the top? A 'lettob gnileknirps' of course!

I can remember each one of those and more!

For example;
How about the early, 'original?' l Kadee couplers that all to often came uncoupled on curves due to a smooth face on the coupling faces and no little lip to prevent them from slipping apart which they all too often did! I still have a few left I'll have to post a picture. Also they didn't come with the curved steel uncoupling arm like today. on the under side of the knuckle at the front edge was a hole that you inserted a common pin shaft after it had been clipped it off and filed it so it would fit into the hole on the knuckle.

How about Mantua's answer to solve the problem with the Kadee's and their hook & wide hoop style coupler. I still have some of thise too I think.

How about the old Atlas fiber tie flex track that required quite a lot of manipulating to get the curve you wanted adjusted and set, and set it was firmly in place! I still have some. The fiber ties also tended to chew into your hands.

How about the old sharp flanged wheel sets s that were literally a real drag when trying to pull a string of cars down the rail. I still have some of those too.

How about the Old True Scale Milled wood road bed that allowed a guy to carefully insert a three foot length of rail into the milled rail keepers on the road bed and then spike it in place. It came in curved sections too as well as turnout base I think?

How about metal trucks frames with stiffer springs than those used on the Kadee couplers to support the weight of the cars and actually allowed some up and down travel to the truck bolster. That was standard in earlier times and even a few of the later Roundhouse kits still came with sprung trucks and metal side frames.

How about Ulrich's early attempt at a track cleaner with a fluid tank on a flat car with a shed on it and a sprung felt drag under the car that the solution would drip on to clean the rails as you pulled it around. I still have the reminents of the car left.

Oh, back then all car and locomotives came as kits that a guy had to assemble including a fair amount of filing to clean off casting flash.

Yes, how times have changed.

Good morning everyone....

Need my daily injection of Milwaukee Road....

4586.1059655920-2_zpspuvktyyi.jpg

Milwaukee's Sumas Turn just out of Sumas on the Limestone Branch heading for the quarry....

1695.1168477200-2_zpssntoy6f7.jpg

An SD9 and four F's (one in passenger paint) have just crossed the Mississippi and are heading west.

ss04_zpsxeeeps5n.jpg

Wish you all a pleasant day!

Good Morning! Today is Wed 11/12/14.

Cold with a high of 39. I'll be going to the club later today.

BUNN_COFFEE.png

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Still a bit brisk outside. Only got to minus 14 instead of the predicted minus 20. Must have had some cloud cover. We could get above zero for a high.

attachment.php

Got the Challenger out of its box and ran it for a while to keep things lubricated. Still runs like a Swiss watch. Let it run for about 50 laps of the layout while ballasting the yard last weekend. Sure wish I could justify running large locomotives on the layout.

Satisfaction equals
justification. RUN IT !!!
Don't regret NOT doing it. You're here only once.
FLIP aka-OLD GROUCH.

My turntables are only 90 footers, on purpose, to limit the size of the locomotives I run. My railroad is a short line and the largest steamer in service is a mike, but consolidations are more common. Challengers don't make good switchers. :D I have a Z-5 Yellowstone (2-8-8-4) that also has the same fate. Guess it will take a few laps next weekend.

I'll let them pull a 50 or so car train around sometime just for grins.

The Verizon FIOS set top box went bonkers last evening. Mrs. And I have lost almost 200 hrs of programs that we had stored on the DVR for later watching. Really upsets me .. Lots of RR programs, mystery, as well as All forms NCIS, and military history, and other specials. Anyway, I am not happy this morning!

Jeffrey, so glad to hear that you are improving. Sorry to hear that some of the meals are not so good.
Keep up the good work!
Montanan .. Challenger looks good .. Agree with Flip!

Still a bit brisk outside. Only got to minus 14 instead of the predicted minus 20. Must have had some cloud cover. We could get above zero for a high.

I thought we had it bad because I am seeing snow cover on Nov. 12. It was plus 14 F driving in to work this morning. I am still wearing my fall jacket, though. lasm

All of us who live in the north know that it is just a matter of time, but that doesn't mean that you have to enjoy it. I put the winter tires on a couple of weeks ago, took the mowing deck off of the tractor and put the plow on, and enjoyed the lengthened period od warm weather. We were at 65 degrees on Sunday.

Good afternoon, I Flo & Francine, my two favorite waitresses. I'll have some coffee with Hazel nut flavored creme if you would. I think I have three of your Brown Rhode-Island Red eggs and some of the spicy Hillshire farm sausage if you have some? You do, great and flatten it out a fair amount too while cooking it, Ok. Thanks, that's great.

It been a bit cooler in my area but nothing like what Montanans' weather is like, above. Per WW it's:
67.2 °F - Feels Like 67.2 °F, Winds are from the South with gusts up to 3.3 mph. The Humidity is 55% going to 82% kater on. Rain is forcast for tomorrow, a 70% chance. The night time low is going to be 49 °F. If Montanan had my weather he would think Summer was returning! LoL
It's just a matter of time as till the colder weather sets in here too but still nothing his temps. The coldest I remember was about 14 °F above '0' but that plenty cold enough for me.

I hope many of you enjoyed a look back in time, that I posted prior, that a friend sent me, it sure brought back some memories alright. I hope for you too?

See everyone later.

Here's a laugh at this silly posting system.

I went to post this message, clicking just once on the button and I get the message I must wait 30 Seconds between posts! LoL
Then I go to delete the second post and it asks: Delete this post in the following manner: So I wrote in the box, 'I'm unfamiliar with the proper manner, formal or otherwise, of deleting a post. Would you enlighten me? LoL

Evening All,

Cleaned house today and I put up another wood frame around the down stairs bathroom mirror. I also got some more detail parts in that represent automated switch machines. I painted them so I can install them tomorrow. Also tomorrow we have some new furniture being delivered between 10a-2p.

I don't remember who posted the "do you remember?" but I got 18 that I remember. I guess that makes me old.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening All,

Cleaned house today and I put up another wood frame around the down stairs bathroom mirror. I also got some more detail parts in that represent automated switch machines. I painted them so I can install them tomorrow. Also tomorrow we have some new furniture being delivered between 10a-2p.

I don't remember who posted the "do you remember?" but I got 18 that I remember. I guess that makes me old.

I hope everyone has a good night.
I remember 20. I am not sure if that makes me older than you, or just grew up in a backwards part of the country...

i was reading a few pages back about how people dress i see
Film or pic of "RAILFANS" in 50's they are trackside in 3 piece suites, if you showed up
Today trackside in a suite the crews would think it was rail officals trying to fire someone

OH He--!! I'm either a relic , or an old fossil. I remember them all. Heck, even used some.In freezing weather, the top of the milk bottle would be pushed up and their would be a stalk of cream. Gramps 'phone didn't have a dial. Had to give the number to an operator. Had three or four "ICE BOXES" on the back porch.
Ah yes. Memories.
Phil

Back