Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Also a tradition that's lost, that I miss....

59_zpspzxeykzh.jpg

72_zps5yz4bqmx.jpg

Would love to have a Olympian and a Olympian Hiawatha on my wall (plus another handful! :eek:)...

Temp in Fargo right now is 20 degrees, dropping to about 9 tonight-fortunately, that's above 0! Some flurries, but the Twin Cities area and south of Fargo got slammed with anywhere from 6-18 inches of the white stuff.

Love all the F units! And Amtrak will be late through Fargo tonight. Not surprising, the weather will do it every time. And my thanks the Marines today, and to all veterans past, present and future, tomorrow; which is also General George S. Patton's birthday!

Did she slap you back? Enquiring minds want to know...

You don't tug on Superman's cape
You don't spit into the wind,
You don't pull the mask off that old Lone Ranger,
and you don't mess around with a Running Bear,
even if he dresses his wounds with Tabasco! :rolleyes:

With many apologies to the late Jim Croce !:eek:

Hiya Gang!

Getting cooler here, day by day, they are even mentioning s**w in the forecast soon. Got the Plow on the Cub Crapette yesterday. Usually this is enough to scare the snow Gods away,,,we'll see. Going to see if I can con one of my buddies with a pickup truck to see if I can get about 15 sheets of drywall picked up and placed in the garage so that IF I do get snowed in I can just turn on the heat in the garage and get my sheetrocking and cabinets hung! Well see. Not much else going on here. SWMBO has a cold, the cats are lovin the woodstove, I survived Saturday and the Grandkids,,,life goes on.

Oh, and here they are,,,, F-units for AlcoHaulics!! (like me!)

bo827.jpg

2817.1351741750.jpg

6030.1393906602.jpg

AA_52_FA2_medium.jpg

Good Morning! Today is Tue 11/11/14.

VeteransDay_2013.png

Chance of rain with a high of 57. Today is Veteran's Day!

POUR_COFFEE1-Copy.png

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning folks....

First shift down and three to go....

Would have loved to have seen and heard these hard at work...

7853.1242332562_zpstmvqkg3e.jpg

Wish you all a pleasant day!

Good morning again everybody.

In the USA, competition of railroad passenger business (roads and highways) has been funded by the government making it impossible for passenger trains to be competitive. This has been the case since WW II. Amtrak is supposed to be financially self sufficient even though highways and airports cost taxpayers billions of dollars every year. Not trying to be political. Just telling why USA no longer has the best passenger trains in the world as it did in the 1950's.

Well said and I agree 100%! This is not only bad for trains, but it also bad for the economy and the environment. A level playing field would benefit all of us.

It is a bit brisk here this morning, minus 5. Supposed to get colder tomorrow.

attachment.php

This may help those who like to detail the underside of their equipment. I don't see the BIG screw holding the coupler pocket in.

Sort of looks like what I had when I had to tear out a bunch of hand laid track to make modifications to the layout.

Ouch!

Will have to cheer myself up, with some covered wagons....

9109.1397875824_zpsae4zy8kz.jpg

When I started on the Milwaukee Road back in the mid 60's the standard freight power on almost every train was 4 covered wagons. The GP30's had been relegated to the R&SW and KC Lines. The GP 35's were on the River and the new GE's were on 261 and 262. The GP 40's started coming between 1966 and 68 and again all the second generation stuff was on the hotshots to the coast. The wagons ran to Savanna,Green Bay and the Upper Peninsula and all the Milwaukee Lines in the Midwest. The Southeastern had the FM wagons till about 1969. What I loved most about the EMD wagons you could almost always make them work. By blocking in relays and jumper wiring a lot of stuff those old wagons would get up and go. The fastest I ever went on one of Milwaukee's freight F7A's was 83mph down through the Reeseville marsh in the 8th notch firing for an Engineer we called "Pickles." In the photo above we're stopped just short of the Calhoun Rd. in Brookfield,WI. and time was running out on those babies...

4356.1397821709_zpsvmeekd6f.jpg

Milwaukee Road had quite a few super-elevated curves for it high speed passenger fleet. We're stopped just east of Calhoun Road on the eastward track with train 254 prior to or after setting out cars for the Waukesha Patrol in the eastward siding. The super-elevation in the right hand curve leading to the crossing is still in place. The Milwaukee as with other RR's started eliminating the high speed super-elevation due to the higher cars on freight trains and Amtrak's slower speeds. I remember trying to get this train out of there that morning on that frosty rail and sitting in the curve on the ascending grade the way we were was a chore in itself with those old beaters. Photo was taken not too long after sun-up...

Morning All,

Happy Veterans Day

Not much planned for today. We are meeting my Mom and Dad for lunch. Last night at the museum meeting we had a guest speaker from CSX. He talked about FL operations, the expansion of routes in FL, and the new Intermodal facility outside Winter Haven (about 1 hour south of me). He was very knowledgeable and had a really nice presentation.

MW113- You actually worked on the Milwaukee RR?

Hope everyone has a great day.

HAPPY VETRAN'S DAY to all who have served in our great country's military!
Let us not forget all the 4 legged VETRAN'S as well:
image.jpg

Good morning folks.

Our forecast of snowmageddon missed it's mark a little. Meaning we had NO snow yesterday while north of us was pummeled. The weather people had redemption when we woke up to a layer of snow. Just enough to slick up the roads and blow around. In my opinion, a much easier start to winter.

I installed the closet doors in one of the bedrooms this morning. It was the last project for the season of replacing ALL of the oak trim and doors. The final phase of the project will have to wait until the spring thaw. Seeing as how winter just started this morning, it will be awhile before this project is finished!

I've started unpacking all of the different tools and doodads to work on my layout. One thing is missing, my brite boy. I know it's not the track cleaner of choice for most anymore but I've found it quite effective in cleaning seriously dirty track. I guess I'll clean it with rubbing alcohol and an old t shirt for now. I'm also enjoying rebuilding a few of my destroyed models. It's kind of like building a kit that's been prepainted and weathered!:cool:

Time to see how my car handles with it's crappy tires. I ordered new ones from the dealership yesterday but they don't have them in stock. Rather than buy cheap tires just get me buy, I decided to take my chances and wait the five days to be safe! I'll just have to go slow today.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Physical therapy this morning. I had to leave the class to take care of some urgent personal business. When I returned the instructor asked me what happened. I hit her with one Johnny Carson's old jokes. "This just in... A Delta flight in trouble made an emergency landing at Dallas\FortWorth. The pilot and crew emmerged unharmed. The planes cargo, a load of live chickens, wasn't as fortunate. KFC has received a call from DFW declaring that there's a load of fried, crispy and extra crispy chicken ready for pick-up. The only stipulation is there be no droppings or napkins left behind.

Back