Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Erik ... I wish I knew ahead you were going to Trainfest, because I would have suggested you meet friend of mine from Paducah who was selling there.

Rats, I would have liked that. But then, I probably would have found myself coming home with more stuff...
... Not that it's a bad thing...

All of these F-units are tempting even for a diehard steam fan like me

Like all of the F units. My favorite would have to be the Northern Pacific needless to say

We were in the mid 60's yesterday, but woke up this morning with this, and a temp of 14 degrees. The low tonight is supposed to be near 15 below.

attachment.php

Good morning folks.

I was expecting to wake up to snow on the ground with their forecast of a snownami! I guess it's staying north of us so we are looking at 2 to 4 inches instead of 6 to 10. That's fine by me. I don't mind some snow this time of year but starting out with six or more inches is a pain. No matter what we get, I need to buy new tires for my car. I was hoping to wait until the first of December, when my wife gets her bonus check. I guess I may have to pull the trigger sooner than expected. We'll see if the service guys can get me in. Something tells me they'll be booked solid with other idiots like me who have procrastinated!:eek:

Have a good day everyone.

I put my winter tires on a couple of weeks ago. We usually have had a couple of snow falls by now but managed to enjoy a mild October. Managed to get the mowing deck off of the little tractor yesterday and the plow on. It is buried in the upper left of the picture.

This one is the North Coast Limited taken over the pass from me in Livingston, MT. We rode this train many times when I was a kid. The train trip was a big part of the vacation. Rail travel was a lot different back then.

attachment.php

So true. It was a toss up for us between taking the North Coast Limited or the Hiawatha when we were traveling east as with relatives working on both railroads we always rode first class. The amenities on both railroads were absolutely top notch. The food and service were fantastic on both railroads also. One of the biggest things AmTrack is lacking is the on time schedule.

To be fair, back then passenger trains were the priority in the 50's whereas today, AmTrack has to be worked in as many freight trains now have priority.

I have seen a number of posts, great ones, on AmTrack trips and they seem to be doing the best they can with what they have, but can't hold a candle to the streamliners of the past.

True! I'm sure that the Amtrak people, would do better, if they has the same chance/equipment, like they had yesteryear....seem like they always play second fiddle to the freight trains....

The biggest difference I've noticed is how people dress. In the 40's and50's when I last rode a train, we dressed nicely. Has self respect gone away???

Phil

Very true. You wore your Sunday go to meeting clothes when traveling back then, and now ???? look at some of the people at airports. You can sit and watch at airports and have constant entertainment.

In the USA, competition of railroad passenger business (roads and highways) has been funded by the government making it impossible for passenger trains to be competitive. This has been the case since WW II. Amtrak is supposed to be financially self sufficient even though highways and airports cost taxpayers billions of dollars every year. Not trying to be political. Just telling why USA no longer has the best passenger trains in the world as it did in the 1950's.

Below is a the Amtrak California Zephyr we rode 6 years ago. This was an eastbound train, and we were waiting in Fraser, CO for an hour as workers completed a project in Moffat Tunnel which was ahead of us.

DSCN0312.jpg

Below, we are still in Fraser, and you can see ski trails of the Winter Park Ski Area.

DSCN0311.jpg

Below is from in the mid-train lounge car

DSCN0305.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Top up anyone, it's a fresh pot...

I've always wondered, why Amtrak began using those tall passenger cars, instead for more of the 'traditional' ones, what's the idea behind them?

Airports are almost as bad as Weird-World !! [WAL-MART]

Got a shock this morning when I looked at myself in the mirror. I saw I had the body of a god- BUDDHA !!! lol

Phil

Top up anyone, it's a fresh pot...

I've always wondered, why Amtrak began using those tall passenger cars, instead for more of the 'traditional' ones, what's the idea behind them?

Santa Fe originated the concept in the 1950's when they went to Hi-Level cars made by Budd. There is more capacity in these cars. Restrooms are downstairs.

Physical therapy this morning. One of the therapists had me standing between the parallel bars. Two and a half minutes this time. She said I needed to work on my balance so I stood straight, held onto one of the bars with my left hand and slapped her right shoulder with my right hand then did the same with the left hand.

Santa Fe originated the concept in the 1950's when they went to Hi-Level cars made by Budd. There is more capacity in these cars. Restrooms are downstairs.

Aaah...

Love to look in those Pullmans.Standard books that I have, when in Sweden that is...
Some imagination they had back in the day, lightweight and heavyweights...

Physical therapy this morning. One of the therapists had me standing between the parallel bars. Two and a half minutes this time. She said I needed to work on my balance so I stood straight, held onto one of the bars with my left hand and slapped her right shoulder with my right hand then did the same with the left hand.
Did she slap you back? Enquiring minds want to know...

Back