Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Garry- If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seeds.

Joe- Clowns and Donkeys are everywhere . The "GENE POOL" needs cleaning.
Oh well, back to reality. You can't cure stupidity.
Flip

Hey Curt-- How was the beer served? Cold or what?

The train station in New London,CT., still the old large wooden building? Or did they modernize it. Haven't been there since winter 1955.
Flip

Phil- If it is available I prefer Guinness at room temperature. To me it gives it a almost buttery type of flavor. Overall I prefer dark beer over anything else. A good friend of mine tried to drink a glass of it but after a couple of sips he gave it to me. He said it tasted like road tar.

Guinness....love it! Even though I haven't had a pint of it for two years almost, moved on to Fürstenberg, Budweiser (the real Budweiser) Budvar, Staropramen, Pilsner Urquell and the likes....yip, I've turned into a bl**dy beer snob! lol

Where were we....oh aye, looking for slug/cow/calf possibilities....

2773.1302568466_zpsgx7dclfb.jpg

We're stopped at Watertown,Wi. on the eastbound main. The photo shows a water hose attached to the third unit while the head brakeman Mike Schalk with the red knit hat looks on and his Engineer gets a few pics. The snow keeps falling while the small garden hose slowly fills the unit...

AHH! What a beautiful sight. Clean snow. "Tis a pity it turns to a gray, slushy mess. Darn sure happy not to contend with it.
Brrr! Gives me the shivers to remember what it was like to drive in it. You Yankees be careful now, ya'hear? Stay warm and drive slow.
Flip

Last edited by a moderator:
Winters are somewhat warmer here as well, than in good auld Sweden and where I used to live, which is further up north, than Anchorage in Alaska....have crossed the polar circle more than once!

Last Friday, I drove up to HD to buy a water filter cartridge for the kitchen sink. I pulled into a "handicapped" space, then I displayed my "permit". This other guy pulled into the "handicapped" space opposite mine, and felt compelled to inform me that "I did not appear to be disabled". My respose was: "neither do you" He then lectured me for being disrespectful to "seniors" :rolleyes:. Of course I told him what he could do to himself, but this happens a lot here. You seem to have a lot of "clowns" where you are too.

Hang in there and keep up your effort.....as far as the "clowns" and self appointed "Authorities" are concerned; PAY THEM NO MIND!

Joe

Joe,
I've run into those type before too. When they give me the "you don't look handicapped" . I usually respond with "hard to believe somebody as good looking as me is so screwed up internally" or " you don't look intelligent either" depending on my mood. :rolleyes: Most days I just park in regular spots, depending on my right legs mood.

Where were we....oh aye, looking for slug/cow/calf possibilities....

Slugs we got!

2225.jpg

CSX RMDT, aka road slug. Take an old B&O GP30, replace the prime mover with ballast, keep all the m.u. capabilities and feed the traction motors from a "mother" unit. Fuel savings and a quieter ride for the crew!

bl2andslug.JPG138T.jpg

OR WM 138-T, low hooded slug perfect for extra traction when switching!

Joe,
I've run into those type before too. When they give me the "you don't look handicapped" . I usually respond with "hard to believe somebody as good looking as me is so screwed up internally" or " you don't look intelligent either" depending on my mood. :rolleyes: Most days I just park in regular spots, depending on my right legs mood.

Joe and Karl, what I do in these kinds of situations is a simple 2 word reply. First word begins with F and the second word is you. If they need further "clarification" then that do what Jeffery would do and give it to them. From my experience the 2 words have always been enough because people like that are just a lot of hot air.
I may not be able to walk very well any more but if you are dumb enough to get into range, God help you.

I asked my God mother when I was young "what happens to some people when they get old, do they get ignorant?" Her reply was "No, they were ignorant then they got old"

Football news; Ravens 21 Titans 7, Jets 20 Steelers 13 and the Redskins had a bye, all is right with the world for now.

Have a good night everybody!

Who appointed the guy at the other table "Dining Hall Monitor"? What's his deal? I thought all the A**holes were confined to New Jersey. Guess I'm wrong.

Last Friday, I drove up to HD to buy a water filter cartridge for the kitchen sink. I pulled into a "handicapped" space, then I displayed my "permit". This other guy pulled into the "handicapped" space opposite mine. Hang in there and keep up your effort.....as far as the "clowns" and self appointed "Authorities" are concerned; PAY THEM NO MIND!

Joe
I have no intention of paying any attention to them. A dirty look or thinly veiled threat of harm usually deters them quite nicely.

Good evening coffee shop dwellers. 45*F and calm here in central MD. GO Ravens!

MILW, looks like I really got you started on F unit postings! [lol] But that's ok, I've always loved covered wagons.

Can't contribute anything to the ale discussion, as I haven't swallowed any booze or beer in over 30 years.

Guys, thanks for all the support regarding my turnout misadventure. I guess we all have to go thru something like this in order to "grow" as hobbyists! At least there is one small positive I can take away: It confirms my policy to never solder a turnout to any of its adjoining tracks. Since these things are more likely to fail than regular track, it's best to make them easily removable. Yesterday's experience bears this out.

Ken: Sounds like you had an exasperating day with the curved switch :(. It's fortunate that you were able to drive over to the LHS and get a replacement. When I did the same thing no one - including Walthers - had the replacement in stock :rolleyes:. My go to "defect detector" is an Athearn CNJ SD40. ...
Joe - that was the first thing that crossed my mind when the accident happened, worrying about whether anybody had one in stock locally; guess I lucked out in that regard. I'd hate to be in Montanan's situation of having to order everything from online suppliers.

As of 6pm, all the ballasted track has been cleaned and tested; so now I can move on to the next project: The concrete coaling tower for my engine terminal. Yeah I know, there aren't any steamers in my roster, but many of these were still standing during my modeling era - and it sure adds a lot of character to the scene! Guess I'll head on down to the workbench.

Good evening. It's overcast and 50.

Most of y'all know I have a couple of ailing BLI steam engines. I was in contact with them early last week, and they gave me an RA to send them in. This afternoon, I finally got around to writing a note to place in their boxes with a detailed description of the trouble (for some reason, "it's broke" isn't a detailed description). After I got done, I clicked the "print" button, and got an error message my printer was out of black ink. Great. My printer takes two different black ink cartridges, and I had to get them both. I made it to Office Depot about 20 minutes before they closed, and picked up the cartridges, $31 worth of them. I came home, put the car away, and installed the cartridges. I then went back to my computer, and hit the "print" button again. This time, I got an error message one of my color cartridges was empty, and it would not print my black and white paper until I replaced it. Everyplace that has them is closed for tonight, so I can't get the $55.99 worth of color cartridges to print my black and white paper. A new printer is only $79.99, and comes with cartridges...

Erik ... I wish I knew ahead you were going to Trainfest, because I would have suggested you meet friend of mine from Paducah who was selling there.

Terry .... You and Ken are each doing the 2 steps forward; 3 steps backward routine. ......

How is this for F-units? ... The train is really in the early days of Amtrak, and it is the Empire Builder running on Milwaukee Road tracks.

AMTK_8Wauwatosa0571_zps4f8b4263.jpg

MILW, looks like I really got you started on F unit postings! [lol] But that's ok, I've always loved covered wagons.

Aye, you sure did Ken, but....don't beat yourself up for it, me loved covered wagons long time! lol

9572.1403159026_zpsxivfj0gc.jpg

Chicago Great Western Railroad with 5 month old EMD F3A-B-A #112C in original paint scheme. 'The Corn Belt Route' served Kansas City, Council Bluffs-Omaha, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Des Moines and Chicago...

7979.1404544877_zpsb8jrggog.jpg

Southbound 752-A at Altus, Wyoming on December 31, 1956 working on the Colorado & Southern, with four F-7 units owned by the Ft. Worth & Denver. The Colorado & Southern and Fort Worth & Denver Railways operated as subsidiaries of the CB&Q Burlington Route...

3544.1403506085_zpsfxamuok3.jpg

About thirty-five miles west of L.A. is the location of Santa Susana. Eastbound SP F7 #6157 A-B-B-A set in Black Widow paint scheme, with reefer train 2-803 January 28, 1958...

2948.1307071670_zps0kztwqbj.jpg

8701.1284044207_zpstweqn2ew.jpg

Milwaukee Road F7 A-B-A units head a Chicago bound freight under the North Shore interurban Mundelein Branch bridge at Rondout...

5247.1270840677_zps9oi2euqj.jpg

A Reading F7 leads an A-B-B-A set with a westbound train of hopper cars and ore jennies just before T-1 2124 showed up with the Iron Horse Ramble. This was during a trainmens' strike on the Pennsy and the Reading seemed especially busy...

Hey!
All these covered wagons are neet!
But the following image may be,,,um,,disturbing for the purist.
Not that the WM didn't ever have FP7s,,,thats not the disturbing part.

IMG_22266.jpg

It's dem ditch lights,,,it ain't natchural! :p

I prefer them without, like GM intended!!

8870.1354883718.jpg

3755954585_6590bfe64b_z.jpg

Good Evening Gents.

41° and clear this evening. Earlier, I watched the Maple Leafs beat the Senators (Ottawa) 5-3. Before the game, the wife and I went for a short (mile +) walk.

I'm happy the Ravens won. Since the Redskins had a bye, they couldn't lose this week. Lot of F unit photos featured here this weekend. Very Cool. I especially like the Reading consist.

Got to go, it's past my bed time.

Joe

Good morning troops! Hope that you've all slept well or had a pleasant day!
Totally agree with you Karl!
Hope that you don't mind me decorating walls around here....lol

IMG_213732826056881_zps1irjfjyy.jpg

IMG_214334791938229_zps7bfzgq1i.jpg

4661.1236911513_zpstewcav9n.jpg

4734.1233502035_zpsp7gcu4fc.jpg

B&O F7A 4563 and a Geep shove hard on the tail end of an eastbound freight as it heads toward Meyersdale, PA and the Sand Patch grade....

8614.1233281278_zpsj0zvhj0c.jpg

Four first generation GM units lean into the curve on the B&O main at Meyersdale, PA. in September 1969...

2858.1233317930_zpsj1tlm7ds.jpg

B&O 4559 crests the 17 mile grade at Altamont, MD. in September, 1969...

7338.1236662287_zpstd3siccr.jpg

9610.1236438194_zpslfycdnsg.jpg

IMG_100190196914796_zpslsolso8c.jpg

D*mn! I think that I need some of those covered wagons! Bummer!

Good Morning! Today is Mon 11/10/14.

usmc03_zps2de32622.png

Breezy with a high of 62. Today is the birthday of the United States Marines!

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning Bill and all others. Thanks for the pot a java. Smells great.
Lets see, temp. is 57 getting up to 69, no rain.
Happy B.D. to all you Gyrenes. Thanks for your service and Thanks to all who have or are now in uniform.
Prayers for our Country and for all of us.
Phil

Good morning. It's clear and 35.
I'm heading off to **** in a few minutes. After that, I have to stop by somewhere and purchase more ink cartridges, so I can send these engines off for repair tomorrow.

Later!

Back