Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLV

Went to TrainFest today. Looked briefly at a lot of layouts but found I was more interested in the manufacturer booths. Stopped by the Hornby booth and they were selling a set of 3 of the Rivarossi 60-foot heavyweight passenger cars for half price. And they were decorated for c&nw. Of course I could not resist. I have had those on my wish list for a long time for through service passenger traffic. I am still eying the Roundhouse 50 - foot Overland wood sided cars for home road local service. (I know Train World has some in stock.)

I also got what looks like an interesting clamping system for model building, made of lucite or some other clear plastic and using magnets to hold them in place.

After 2 months of nothing but work, eating, sleeping, family matters, and a bit of volunteer responsibilities, oh, and did I mention work?... I might finally be reaching a point where I can get back to work on the railroad.

Have a good evening, all....

Sent from the DairyStatePhone. Typoes and bad auto corrects included at no extra charge.

Jan I have the same problem, often wake up at ~4:15am and can't get back to sleep. So I do my morning routine early. I don't feel sleepy until about the time I get on the Interstate heading to work.

Ken ... I like the SD7. Are you weathering your rails to look like those in the photo?
Garry, I paint my rails whatever color of medium- to dark brown I happen to have at a given moment. I've recently discovered an excellent paint for track: Krylon Ultra-Flat(tm) Camouflage Dark Brown. Then if I want to tone it down I can slap on some of the Bragdon powders.

Well, I spent a lot of time in the trainroom today but it wasn't "fun" time - more like damage control. As I was test-running my SD7 over a particular turnout it always derailed. A bit of investigation revealed that the 'outer' rail was slightly lower than the inner rail. I did what I always do in this type of situation: Soaked the surrounding ballast in alcohol, and attempted to pry the track loose from it so I could insert a shim. Don't know what happened to my common sense, but I grabbed the rail directly instead of the tie supporting it. The rail came right up, the ties stayed put. In the blink of an eye I damaged a turnout. Not just any ol' turnout, but a Walthers/Shinohara Curved #8. [I'll spare you all the "nautical jargon" that spewed from my mouth when this happened!] I raced over to the LHS to get a replacement, then spent the remander of the day [1:00pm to 10:30pm] painting and preparing the new turnout, installing the Caboose ground throw and rebuilding the home-grown frog power routing circuit. Tested it at 7:00pm and the SD7 rolled thru everything flawlessly. Then I reapplied the ballast - hope that doesn't screw up the track leveling again:mad:. Basically I am right back to where I was at 3 days ago.

I can barely keep my eyes open - G'night!

Good Morning! Today is Sun 11/9/14.

pouring_coffee1-Copy.png

Sunny with a high of 60. Probably working on the carport today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

9765.1270039260_zpst1yfegnu.jpg

Milwaukee Road SD10 #555, or Triple Nickel is posing in front of the Milwaukee Road depot at Madison.

Greetings gang....
Half decent weather here in Glasgow today.
Hope that you all will enjoy a pleasant Sunday!

Ken- A failure will not appear until a unit has passed final inspection.

58* and slight drizzle. Chilly and damp.
Wish y'all a nice day. Enjoy the games.
Prayers & Blessings.
Flip

Flip, that is sooooo true! Guess I need to have Karl over for an op session soon, so I can find all the weaknesses!

I went back into the trainroom this morning after giving the ballast glue ~6 hours to dry, and this time my SD7 found a different low spot. Still feeling the sting of yesterday's experience, I knew exactly what NOT to do [i.e. pulling upward directly by the rail]. I fixed this one by wedging a piece of sheet styrene under the ties on the low side - problem solved. [Well actually I'll need to test it once more after the ballast has dried out again, but I think it's supported pretty solid by the new shim.]

Here is another Railpictures.net image of a B&O F7 consist, this is generally how they all looked during my modeling era:

6373.1306073455.jpg

Photographer's caption: Heading for Cumberland using WM tracks from Hagerstown

Have a great day y'all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning everybody,

41 in south east Baltimore with clear skies.

Ken those are great pictures, thanks for posting them.

I see those three F's and raise you four.....first being my namesake! ;):D
Also, observe how smoothly I worked in a '13' here...lol

2784.1376913855_zpse0ag5f9l.jpg

Milwaukee Road Superior Division ore train waiting at 13th Street to get through Milwaukee Depot and head to Chicago.

Funny thing happened this morning. I was getting ready to leave the dining hall and I packing up my condiments [Tabasco Chipotle sauce and Heinz Tabasco ketchup] when a guy at another table said I couldn't take them, I had to leave them at the table. I turned to him and said they were my property and I can do with them as I see fit, besides he wasn't big enough to make me leave them and I told him so. Some day I should get a shirt that has a picture of of frog on it and the words 'landing zone'.

BNSF971 any sign of the latest rod creation???
You're funny!
He sent me an email on the 29th, telling me he had a tracking number. Two days later, he asked if I wanted a light Pacific instead. Yesterday, he asked if I knew what all was wrong with the J. At that point, I told him to use his tracking number to find out where it was. His response? "Alright".
I'm glad I've already written him and the engine off as a lost cause. If his J shows up sometime this century, great. If not, I have a parts source for the two GS4s I now have...

Good Morning Y'all. It's 45° and overcast in Central Jersey. This morning, we are being serenaded by Howitzers, courtesy of a NJNG Fires Brigade from Fort Dix-McGuire-Lakehurst Joint Base. The ranges are well over 25 miles from my home, however on overcast days, the sound and impact vibration "impact" the local tranquility. "Fire for effect"!

Ken: Sounds like you had an exasperating day with the curved switch :(. It's fortunate that you were able to drive over to the LHS and get a replacement. When I did the same thing no one - including Walthers - had the replacement in stock :rolleyes:. My go to "defect detector" is an Athearn CNJ SD40.

Today's choice is watching football, or working on the layout........Think I'll be found in the train room.

Joe

How many baseball, football, hockey and Nascar is there here, if I may ask?
I tend keep an eye on Minnesota Vikings, Los Angeles Dodgers and occasionally Boston Bruins, even though it maybe should be Vancouver Cannucks, seeing that I've got family connections with B. C. and Vancouver....
As for Nascar, I prefer the era up to 70-71....old school!

5285.1364012752_zpsxyx6met7.jpg

Milwaukee Road's 120C and other units are in the deep freeze at Pig's Eye Yard, with ice fog in the air and negative 22 degree F temperatures. This was the beginning of another brutal Midwest winter.

Morning All,

Looks like a yucky fall/winter day outside. I am glad there is nothing that needs done there today. MOH wants to clean kitchen cabinets today in preparation for the family coming over for Thanksgiving. I have a RR museum meeting tomorrow night. Last night was a bust at the train club. A group of us went out to a local pizza place for supper (have been there many times) before ops night started, and although it was not busy it took 90 minutes for everyone to get their food with lots of cooking mistakes. I ordered 2 slices of pizza and the grease was just sitting on them. I cleaned it off the best I could but it still caused my Acid Reflux to flare up so I went home afterwards. The manager ended up comping the entire table.

Ken- Ouch! Believe me, I have been there and done that before. To say it is frustrating is a understatement.

MR113- Back in 1976 I made it to Scotland for a couple of days after the boat I was on completed a mission. We pulled into Holy Loch, a friend and I took the train to Edinburgh for liberty. We had a awesome time. The country is beautiful, the people are friendly, and the beer is world class.

Erik- Glad you had a great time. It always feels good to get back into the hobby after being away for awhile.

David- I plan on putting in a lighted Esso sign and 12 white metal castings of automated switch motors. I painted them yesterday.

Jeff- I don't understand why everybody feels they have to tell you what to do.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Jeff- I have a "T-Shirt" you would like. It says,
-I'D LISTEN TO YOU BUT IGNORING YOU IS SO MUCH EASIER."
My b-i-l has one he wears that states,- DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS . lol

Prayers,
Phil

Flip .... Those T shirt phrases are funny.
MR113 ... I like all of the photos.
Ken .... If at first you do not succeed, try, try again. If at second you don't succeed, try, try, try again. If at third you do not succeed, try, try, try, try again ............. and so on. ;) ....... I like the F-units photo.

Here are 5 F units on my layout.

700DOre1.jpg

[QUOTE=jeffrey-wimberly;363028]Funny thing happened this morning. I was getting ready to leave the dining hall and I packing up my condiments [Tabasco Chipotle sauce and Heinz Tabasco ketchup] when a guy at another table said I couldn't take them, I had to leave them at the table. I turned to him and said they were my property and I can do with them as I see fit, besides he wasn't big enough to make me leave them and I told him so. Some day I should get a shirt that has a picture of of frog on it and the words 'landing zone'.[/QUOTE]

Jeffrey:

Who appointed the guy at the other table "Dining Hall Monitor"? What's his deal? I thought all the A**holes were confined to New Jersey. Guess I'm wrong.

Last Friday, I drove up to HD to buy a water filter cartridge for the kitchen sink. I pulled into a "handicapped" space, then I displayed my "permit". This other guy pulled into the "handicapped" space opposite mine, and felt compelled to inform me that "I did not appear to be disabled". My respose was: "neither do you" He then lectured me for being disrespectful to "seniors" :rolleyes:. Of course I told him what he could do to himself, but this happens a lot here. You seem to have a lot of "clowns" where you are too.

Hang in there and keep up your effort.....as far as the "clowns" and self appointed "Authorities" are concerned; PAY THEM NO MIND!

Joe

Back