Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIX

Maybe when we all shop at Klein's, we should ask for an extra forum members discount, seeing we do so much promoting :):rolleyes:

That suits me just fine!!!
I would certainly like to have some sort of "frequent shopper" program going.
Like: "order 9 kits and your 10th one is free".
E.

Good Evening. In line with Eric and Terry's comments, the weather guy on Ch #7 mentioned the probability of snow for tomorrow.......:rolleyes:.

Speaking of MB Klein's, I have an order to finish.

Stay warm, Terry.

Louis, did your wife get home yet?

Maybe when we all shop at Klein's, we should ask for an extra forum members discount, seeing we do so much promoting :):rolleyes:

For all the hullabalooing I hear about Klein's, I remain unimpressed.:rolleyes: Its less than an hour's drive, but my regular LHS meets and quite often beats Klein's prices, plus its only 15 minutes from the house. Klein's, while well stocked with the latest and greatest Walthers & Horizon have to offer, has a sterile, antiseptic feel to it. It seems like too much RTR, and not modeling.
It may be fine for y'all on the internet , but I prefer prefer to buy supplies for building stuff myself from a dealer who lets me run rampant through parts catalogs, as well as selling me RTR stuff.:cool:
Louis, you really need to get out of the city sometime!
Anyways, that's my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation to be .268 of 1 cent):eek:

I guess if I had a hobby shop 15 mins away, I'd be in there all the time, complete with packed lunch (and maybe breakfast)

COFFEE_REFILL.png

railroadTRACK.png

Good Morning!

Sunny with a high of 38.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in Tipton IN

Good Morning. Here in the Middletown Valley of MD it is 28 with a wind chill of 17. I will agree kbkcooch's opinion of his LHS. I stopped in there a few weeks back and found them very friendly and well stocked. I'm getting back into the hobby after thinking about it and setting up a simple loop around the tree for my 4 year old grandson this year.

Good morning everyone!

32 with partly cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore, the internet weather is telling me it is clear and sunny, but my eyes re not seeing it.

Have a great day everybody!

Funny. I'm listening to this lawn & garden show on the radio this morning. Someone had a question they couldn't specifically answer except for to "just try it" which they followed up with a funny comment.

"To become a successful gardener, you have to be willing to set some cash on fire."

I would say this is definitely true for model rail-roading.
I am certainly finding this to be true.
E.

Good Morning. Here in the Middletown Valley of MD it is 28 with a wind chill of 17. I will agree kbkcooch's opinion of his LHS. I stopped in there a few weeks back and found them very friendly and well stocked. I'm getting back into the hobby after thinking about it and setting up a simple loop around the tree for my 4 year old grandson this year.

GREAT POST!!! I am so happy to read your post bsmart! I'm glad to see you are getting back into the hobby and even more happy to hear you are sharing trains with your grandson and us here in the coffee shop! If I have not already said so I'll say it now; welcome to the forums, glad to have you onboard!

Funny. I'm listening to this lawn & garden show on the radio this morning. Someone had a question they couldn't specifically answer except for to "just try it" which they followed up with a funny comment.

"To become a successful gardener, you have to be willing to set some cash on fire."

I would say this is definitely true for model rail-roading.
I am certainly finding this to be true.
E.

BigE that is most certainly a clever way of putting it and all to true!

I just noticed Karl's link to his hobby shop, the Moose Caboose. What a pity it doesn't have pictures and on-line ordering (not being sarcastic or nasty about it). I guess a good site is expensive to set up, especially for a relatively recent market player. They seem to have managed to expand very well without it to this point, really hope they can continue. Truly, there is nothing as satisfying as actually having the items you might purchase right to hand and eye.

For all the hullabalooing I hear about Klein's, I remain unimpressed.:rolleyes: Its less than an hour's drive, but my regular LHS meets and quite often beats Klein's prices, plus its only 15 minutes from the house. Klein's, while well stocked with the latest and greatest Walthers & Horizon have to offer, has a sterile, antiseptic feel to it. It seems like too much RTR, and not modeling.
It may be fine for y'all on the internet , but I prefer prefer to buy supplies for building stuff myself from a dealer who lets me run rampant through parts catalogs, as well as selling me RTR stuff.:cool:
Louis, you really need to get out of the city sometime!
Anyways, that's my 2 cents (adjusted for inflation to be .268 of 1 cent):eek:

Karl as usual you are right, MB Klein's retail store does reflect the fact that the owner Ted Klein is not a model railroader at heart, but he does offer his customers discounts across the board and impeccable customer service! I would bet dollars to donuts if it were not for MB Klein's your dealer may be able to charge more. Competition is good for consumers.

I have it on my to do list to visit the other hobby shops you recommended, I saved them in a word file. You are right again I do need to get out of the city more! I am a true creature of habit I do the same thing over and over. I have been spoiled with internet shopping, but I am missing what these other shops are offering. Now that the weather has turned for the better I will get up your way and see how the country folk do hobby shops. :)

So yesterday I decided I would like to have a ball-cap, or some sort of "railabilia" thing, from one of the rail roads.
I found a ball-cap just like I wanted. Good price at only $4.50. I go to checkout and fill out all the info and then go to select my shipping option.
Golly mercy!! For a major transportation company you would think they could do better than almost $15 (cheapest option) to send me a 1 ounce ball-cap costing less than $5. That just ain't gonna happen.
Talk about a show stopper!! :(
E

Hey King Toot!

MB Klein was a pioneer in first mail order and now internet sales. While many other train stores have gone out of business MB Klein's sales numbers are better than ever because of it. It's no wonder MB Klein has done so well, discount prices, low shipping rates, real time inventory, first rate service and support and more makes them just better then most online retailers. They don't spend much on advertising, they let their prices and service generate word of mouth advertising that can not be bought for any price or generated by any marketing firm.

The last time I was in MB Klein's store Fred, the retail store manager, told me they are now the busiest model train website in the world. Not too bad for a small locksmith/hardware store that started by selling Lionel trains on the side.

I only live about 40 minutes from Karl's favorite shop and I need to take my grandsons and check the place out. It must be something special to have opened in the last 11 years in a time when many if not most others have gone out of business.

So yesterday I decided I would like to have a ball-cap, or some sort of "railabilia" thing, from one of the rail roads.
I found a ball-cap just like I wanted. Good price at only $4.50. I go to checkout and fill out all the info and then go to select my shipping option.
Golly mercy!! For a major transportation company you would think they could do better than almost $15 (cheapest option) to send me a 1 ounce ball-cap costing less than $5. That just ain't gonna happen.
Talk about a show stopper!! :(
E

BigE MB Klein sells hats :) I am not sure it they list them on the web site but I know they have them in the store. If you don't see them online call them they will be glad to help you. If you combine it with a future order the shipping for the hat will be minimal.

Back