Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIX

Montanan I would like to see a picture of your B&O boxcar when you get it.

I agree with Ken's recommendation, you have to have PRR boxcar and I will add another recommendation; NYC.

Oh and more thing, how about making a video with little or no background light to highlight your buildings and other layout lighting, I think that would look great.

We have 32 and about an inch of wet sticky snow covering the lawns. I will be indoors all day so not a major problem.

I haven't seen a phone book in several years. Same goes for a public-use pay phone.

I have several phone books in my office and just used it yesterday. You can see way more information faster with the book than the internet search.

I will grant you that it is easier to look up zip codes on the internet than trying to find them in the phone book.

Here is an HO donut shop I ordered from MB Klein yesterday. I thought it looked cool and my grandson calls Sunday "donut day" because I bring him and his mother one every Sunday morning.
933-3768-2.gif

Had a weird email in my junk this evening, had my name in the senders list, and the message was that my bank (but it was the wrong bank) had closed my account. Ah, just a phishing email I thought, but, when I went to block it, up came a message to tell me "you cannot block your own email account". So I hovered the mouse over my name in the senders list and here was the email account address that I was reading this message from. i.e. this email had been sent to me from my own account. I have now of course changed my password (hopefully if I've been hacked they didn't get that one.) This is my Microsoft account by the way, you'd think they would have the best security wouldn't you.

I do agree with Ken about the PRR boxcar. I already have one NYC. Thinking of all the railroads that were around in the transition era, more than we have now, there are a lot of choices. A Western Maryland is on the list of possibilities, along with a New Haven. I don't want to get carried away and have to start storing equipment in boxes either.

Last night I went and figured out how much room I have on the layout. I can't keep everything in the yards because then there wouldn't be room to bring trains in and then make up locals for switching. There is some room, but with the hidden staging, and the drop down bridge left up, I can park one 45 car train on one of the tracks and maybe 40 on another and still have use of the third track for storage of inbound and outbound trains. If the drop down bridge is lowered, I lose space for a little over a dozen cars. I usually leave it down so I don't have to duck under when entering the layout. The old body doesn't seem a flexible as it used to be. Also, I very seldom run trains continuously except when the grand kids come over. They like it when a 60 to 70 car train is running.

That can get interesting with a 2 percent grade. Needs helpers, but that's not a problem.

Had a weird email in my junk this evening, had my name in the senders list, and the message was that my bank (but it was the wrong bank) had closed my account. Ah, just a phishing email I thought, but, when I went to block it, up came a message to tell me "you cannot block your own email account". So I hovered the mouse over my name in the senders list and here was the email account address that I was reading this message from. i.e. this email had been sent to me from my own account. I have now of course changed my password (hopefully if I've been hacked they didn't get that one.) This is my Microsoft account by the way, you'd think they would have the best security wouldn't you.

Hey King Toot,

They did not hack Microsoft, they hacked your password.

These people should be dragged into the street and shot, thank God I am not King of the world!

Toot ... WIse idea to change password. ... We once had our eBay account hacked. They were listing hot merchandise in our account telling people to pay only by Western Union with some unusual instructions. Ebay security took care of the problem. Later I heard the FBI found a ring of these people working in Eastern Europe. ... We had to change passwords, etc. for emails, PayPal, and Ebay. It was bothersome, but we lost nothing but time. I think they got into our computer at first with a fishing email which we must have opened.

Montanan ... Those are long trains you run.

WJLI26 .... I wonder if Amtrak would be able to name one of its trains after the Reading Crusader. Probably, the PC police would not allow it.

I don't usually run trains that long. Only on request when the grand kids come over. For me a usual train is from 8 to 12 cars long with a single locomotive to switch out cars to the industries along the mainline.

I haven't dumped one of those long trains over yet, but I have to be careful where the helpers are cut in. I have a super elevated curve at the top of the 2 percent grade and have been waiting for the day that a bunch of cars would be laid on their side. I prefer the shorter trains.

Guess Louis grandson likes his pastries. I can see a sugar high coming. I had though about the drive in that Woodland Scenics has available. It would have been perfect for the transition era, but out here in Montana they were rare at that time, only found in a couple of the larger towns, not in smaller communities like I have on my layout.

That's a negative. I have a few for the NP and Milwaukee Road and some for western railroads, but nothing in the way of reefers from the east coast.

Good morning/day gentlemen...

Darn, forgot my manners.
Good morning all. It's 72 and they say going to mid 80's.
Bill's coffee pot is on page 4.
.Phil

Would you swap your D&RG 60036 Cookie car for it? Looks like BLT 2-43 . Or would you rather have a Mars reefer BLT 37 ?

Phil

Amtrak question: Do they operate any of their own rail lines or do they rent/lease?
My Uncles have a little cabin by a lake in southern IL outside of Edgewood. The lake was built by the railroad to supply water for the steamers that came through. I've asked them to get me some pics of the spillway.
Look on Google Earth at 38°52'29.3" N 88°40'23.65" W and you can see it.
The spillway is really deep and gave me vertigo to look over the edge. You can see what's left of the intake structure in the lake. Their cabin is just inside the woods on the north end of the clearing.
The lake is Patterson Lake by the way.
E.

Would you swap your D&RG 60036 Cookie car for it? Looks like BLT 2-43 . Or would you rather have a Mars reefer BLT 37 ?

Phil

I really would pass on getting rid of any of the dry transfer cars. They are sort of one of a kind, even though they're old blue box kits. They were my first attempts at customizing cars 20+ years ago. I do have a couple of REA reefers and I do run passenger trains, but the operation is a bit rag tag.

The primary service is a leased Northern Pacific RDC with a club car in tow. Next is an old gas electric.
IMAG0048_BURST002.jpg IMAG0205.jpg

After that a passenger may be lucky enough to get a seat in a drovers caboose.

IMAG0266.jpg Sometimes an old NP combime may be run in place of a caboose for passenger service.

The last is a tourist train that the Northern Pacific runs during the summer to take tourists to West Yellowstone and Yellowstone Park. The Northern Pacific actually did run a train to Yellowstone park, Fron Livingston, MT to Gardiner, MT which is the northern entrance to the park.

IMAG0201.jpg

I would love to be able to run long passenger trains on my layout, but being that is is a short line serving rural towns, they wouldn't have run here. Growing up we took numerous trips east on both the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha and the Northern Pacifics North Coast Limited. I loved trips on those trains.

Yupper ! I understand. Man, you do some doggone nice work.
I don't have a long enough pike to run my Daylight unless I broke it into two consists and ran them on the two interconnecting ovals. Damn, never thought of that before. Heck, have a FA/B set and a PA/B set to pull each. The cars are Athearn kits I got back in early 1992.
Thanks for posting your pictures.
Phil

I have a number of passenger cars for the North Coast Limited, coaches and dome cars for the tourist trains. I would love to get a complete train for the Milwaukee Road Hiawatha but wouldn't really have a place to run it. My largest station can only handle three cars with an FP-7.

IMAG0292.jpg

Back