Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIX

Reminds me of an adage I try to abide by:
"Love as if you will die tomorrow. Learn as if you will live forever."
(I have no idea where that came from but I like it.)
E.

I like that too BigE, thanks for sharing it!

Good one BigE!

This is one that I like, by Thomas L. Odem Jr
If the essence of my being
has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face
or a touch of joy within your heart
then in living - I have made my mark.

If the essence of my being
has caused a smile to have appeared upon your face
or a touch of joy within your heart
then in living - I have made my mark.

Hmm... I prefer to put something good in someone's brain to use for future betterment of themselves and/or others. I have personally tutored 2 people through to a college degree for nothing but some beer and food.
I've offered my neighbor's boys (29-34 years old) to help get their GEDs for free but I have become of the opinion they would rather be mired in their misery and life of complaining about everyone else's successes. They seem to hate "rich" people and I am quick to point it right back in their face who dropped out. I've since quit trying with them. I figure 5 years of a standing free offer is dam well plenty long enough.
Their loss - not mine.

Like when CJ offered to come to help with my track dilemma. All he asked was that I learn and enjoy it. Not a problem. I'm a 54 year old sponge that still hasn't gotten saturated - yet.
E.

Good morning everyone. Starting off at 57 degrees and expecting to get to the 70 degree mark again today, but a front is on its way with rain for tomorrow and cooler temps.

My pictures for the morning.

01 Morning Zephyr SPUD 92948 St Paul DispatchPioneer Press MN Historical Society Collection.jpg

Good morning everyone. Starting off at 57 degrees and expecting to get to the 70 degree mark again today, but a front is on its way with rain for tomorrow and cooler temps.

Gees! Really? It was 45 when I got up around 0230 and now 42 just shy of 0800.
They are calling for a high near 75 however and afternoon/evening scattered thunderstorms.
Supposedly going for a high near or at 80 on Friday.

Edit: And BTW Chet, my fueling and sand station kits are suppose to show up tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you like them BigE. I had to modify the fueling station to fit into an awkward spot and ended up combining th esand house with the fueling station. Hopefull the sand towers will go up soon.

Hope you like them BigE. I had to modify the fueling station to fit into an awkward spot and ended up combining th esand house with the fueling station. Hopefull the sand towers will go up soon.

I was thinking to put both on the same outside yard line. It's a little over 2' long. That would seem to make sense to me. Get gas and sand at the same time. Since I'm running modern diesels I won't need the older style tower. Given Walthers scant directions, a little (or a lot) of ad-libbing seems to help. I may build it anyway just because I LOVE building stuff. If someone else might could use it - no problem. I'll just leave it be. I won't really know until I see what I get.

Great posts everybody, I enjoyed the discussion about the railroad economy through the years.

Boris your posts about the railroads in my area were spot on, you nailed it my friend! Even though much is gone we still have lots of traffic to see. The Bayview hump is still fairly busy with intermodal, autos, even piggy backs and other freight. Amtrak trains run through my area regularly, it's always a treat to see the Acela! The parallel lines leading to and from consolidated coal are busy almost everyday and my grandsons and I often see coal trains when going under the parallel lines on Eastern avenue on our way home from their school.

My nephew asked me "isn't it a rough area where you live Uncle Lou? I said "nobody bothers me, I love it here!" You can't get into my neighborhood without going under, over or across railroad tracks. I can sit in my back yard and hear the horns from the switchers of the Canton railroad, I even heard them working on Christmas day (poor guys) and I often see them at the street crossings when they are making pick-ups and deliveries. I see a train almost every time I get into my car and go anywhere. Occasionally I hear the tugs and barges in the harbor. I love living in southeast Baltimore.

One of the saddest trains I have seen was a few weeks ago. I was going to the grocery store early on a Sunday morning. Coming from Sparrows Point was a Norfolk Southern train slowly dragging empty gondolas away from the closed Bethlehem steel mill and shipyard.

Change is always the only constant in life, but life is always good if you count your blessings and do your best.

Good morning everybody!

45 with cloudy skies in beautiful southeast Baltimore.

I was AWOL yesterday, I see a missed a great day in the forum.

Have a great day everybody!

I was thinking to put both on the same outside yard line. It's a little over 2' long. That would seem to make sense to me. Get gas and sand at the same time. Since I'm running modern diesels I won't need the older style tower. Given Walthers scant directions, a little (or a lot) of ad-libbing seems to help. I may build it anyway just because I LOVE building stuff. If someone else might could use it - no problem. I'll just leave it be. I won't really know until I see what I get.

There are three platforms for the fueling station and the sand towers can be put right on the platforms to provide sand at the same time that fueling is being done. I know what you mean about Walthers directions. They're more like a suggestion. They do make some very nice kits with geed detail but I think one of my grand kids could do a better job with the directions. I have their three stall roundhouse and turntable and it took a bit of experimenting to get things put together right.

Good morning everybody. ... The Spring Cleaning honey-do's as well as doing other people's Take too much time.

Chet .... I like the photo with CB&Q passenger. Can't tell where it is, but I guess Omaha or Kansas City. .

Carey .... Your DCC story is baffling.

Joe .... I may post pictures of the ore car project soon.

Happy model railroading, everybody.

Good morning, We have about 32 and up into the mid 50's today, sunny skies. We saw a robin yesterday, last week a few red winged blackbirds around.

We've had robins for a few weeks now and the darn things have crapped on my windshield just about every day. :D

Good Morning. 42°, and sunny. Going to 48°. Later the weather will change and we will have rain and then snow :eek:. It's been a March to remember. :rolleyes:

Seven days until the Baseball season opens. :)

Carey, never had that problem. :confused: Usually my gremlins reside in the track structure, not my decoder installations.

We've had robins for a few weeks now and the darn things have crapped on my windshield just about every day. :D

It sounded like you had a super winter, I noticed Montana was rated one of the 6 top states to retire in, Wyoming also made the list.

Good morning, We have about 32 and up into the mid 50's today, sunny skies. We saw a robin yesterday, last week a few red winged blackbirds around.

The Blackbirds, (several varieties), have been around for a couple of weeks, the Robins showed up on Saturday, and the Mockingbird on Sunday. One of these days we will actually have springlike temperatures and sunny skies on the same day.

The Blackbirds, (several varieties), have been around for a couple of weeks, the Robins showed up on Saturday, and the Mockingbird on Sunday. One of these days we will actually have springlike temperatures and sunny skies on the same day.

.. and you guys on the East coast probably had the most challenging winter of the whole country, at least no tornados

Good Morning. It was 33 when I got moving this morning, up to 46 and sunny now.

Bruette - you may be able to help me on something. Back right after the Scott Key Bridge was opened I was driving north and saw just south of the draw bridge on 695 some old steam locomotives sitting next to what looked like some kind of industrial plant. It looked like they were being scrapped. I think the location was here https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2074151,-76.5849193,407m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en although that is now an empty lot. Any ideas?

Good Morning. It was 33 when I got moving this morning, up to 46 and sunny now.

Bruette - you may be able to help me on something. Back right after the Scott Key Bridge was opened I was driving north and saw just south of the draw bridge on 695 some old steam locomotives sitting next to what looked like some kind of industrial plant. It looked like they were being scrapped. I think the location was here https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2074151,-76.5849193,407m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en although that is now an empty lot. Any ideas?

bsmart I don't have a clue, but I will add a few details and maybe one of the other members maybe able to fill in the blanks.

1st The Key bridge opened in 1977

2nd the area you are showing in the picture is Curtis Bay and there have been many a ship scrapped or just sunk in Curtis bay. They very well could have been being scrapped. There were more railroad tracks in Curtis bay in 1977 then there are now. It has always been a place of diverse industries, it would not surprise me if the locomotives were being prepared for export or shipment to another location in the US.

That's about all I can add.

Back