Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIV

Been busy with physical therapy. Made five steps between the parallel bars today. I know that doesn't sound like much but for someone with no legs it's a great accomplishment! Unfortunately dinner tonight wasn't that great. It was pattetable but where I come from road kill is road kill no matter how well it's prepared and spiced.5

Good evening. It's windy and 50.
I retrieved my wife from the hospital this evening. She walked under her own power, using a walker, from the car into the house, then to my recliner. he spent about 2.5 hours there, then took a shower using the used shower chair I bought at the consignment shop. She is now resting comfortably in bed. She was able to navigate fairly well, using the walker.
Of all the stuff we needed for her and couldn't get, they insisted on renting a wheelchair for her that not only can she not use, but she doesn't need. It will still be sitting in our mud room next October, when the med equipment rental place comes to pick it up. She couldn't use it if she wanted to, since it is wider than every doorway in our house...
What's important, though, is she is home, and getting better.

Terry- I am very happy for you and your wife.

Jeff- you never fail to amaze me with the way you persevere over huge obstacles.

Ken- My wife has stuff under my layout also.

I retrieved my wife from the hospital this evening. She walked under her own power, using a walker, from the car into the house, then to my recliner. he spent about 2.5 hours there, then took a shower using the used shower chair I bought at the consignment shop. She is now resting comfortably in bed. She was able to navigate fairly well, using the walker.

Wonderful news Terry! :cool:

Um fellas,,,,my wife has stuff under the layout too!:rolleyes:

KenL,,,,,just finished this for KenB, thought you might approve. [video=youtube;P4mRHGJJ6yM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4mRHGJJ6yM[/video]

Cya all,,,sandman time!

Terry - that's fantastic news!

Jeff - glad to see your making progress! I, too, had to eat "roadkill" last Sunday at a fundraising dinner for this charity clinic that MOH volunteers at.

Garry - that cider mill in Michigan: Was it Parmenter's in Northville, by any chance? I remember watching quite a few trains pass by on the adjacent C&O main line while devouring caramel apples there.

Karl - nice job on the video, I liked the part where I could faintly hear the horn in the distance after the train had passed.

As for my earlier remark about the tool box drawers, that's because she has a bit of her stuff in every permanent container of mine: Tablecloths in the bottom drawer of my desk in the family room, articles of her clothing in the two bottom drawers of my dresser [because her own two larger chest-o-drawers are maxed-out]. Doesn't bother me a bit though, hoarding is one of her endearing characteristics!

Train news: My 'visible' main line is now fully ballasted, I'm tackling the lineside industrial spurs now. I may actually be able to finish all the ballasting work over the coming weekend - woohoo!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe- I got 2 large rolling multi-drawer tool boxes and it has made a tremendous difference in clutter and stuff laying around. Actually my wife convinced me to get them. She was right again...don't you hate that? LOL.

Yeah, really! My problem is I really believe I can multitask :rolleyes:. I assembled four kits today, and sorted my project cars into different boxes. That cleared up some room in the work shop. Now I need to do the same in the train room. Everything was fine until I got the 2-8-0, then I dug out my other steam and transition era rolling stock :rolleyes:. You can imagine the clutter, because the other stuff is still on the layout.

Tomorrow, I have two venetian blinds to hang, and baseboards to paint. Then I need to figure out how many floor tiles I need to re-do the floor in the kitchen :rolleyes:. I was never this busy when I was working.

Joe

Jeffrey: It's a start, my friend. it's going to take some time, but you will succeed.

Terry: Great news!

Karl: Great video.

Ken: I can appreciate the effort, since I also hate ballasting.

Curt: How about some "finished" photos of your new crossovers, now that you're finished ballasting?

Louis: Looked like Canton, I was wondering if the Canton RR had taken over switching the Dundalk Marine Terminal.

Joe

Of all the stuff we needed for her and couldn't get, they insisted on renting a wheelchair for her that not only can she not use, but she doesn't need. It will still be sitting in our mud room next October, when the med equipment rental place comes to pick it up. She couldn't use it if she wanted to, since it is wider than every doorway in our house...
I bet she made a bee-line for the recliner. I hope she becomes better and stronger in the near future.

Good morning fellas....

Another shift down and one to go, before the weekend.....

1332.1335804380_zpsicd0ur2n.jpg

Coffee-pouring-Copy.png

Good Morning!

Today is Thu 10/23/14.

Some sun with a high of 59. Getting the truck serviced today.

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good Morning Everybody!!!

54 and cloudy in Baltimore

Been busy with physical therapy. Made five steps between the parallel bars today. I know that doesn't sound like much but for someone with no legs it's a great accomplishment! Unfortunately dinner tonight wasn't that great. It was pattetable but where I come from road kill is road kill no matter how well it's prepared and spiced.5

Great news, thanks for keeping us posted!

Royals even the Series.

Have a great day everybody!

The Washington Wizards are ranked 3rd in the Eastern Conference in ESPN's power rankings!

It looked hopeless at one point, not even Michael Jordan could save the Wizards.

They always had a few hard working players to cheer for. It's even better winning more then losing!!!

I have been following this team since they were the Baltimore Bullets.

Good Morning! 52° and STILL raining! The rain puts a crimp in our walking regimen. And to think our treadmill is sitting in a storage unit in Tenessee! There's a lot of stuff to do inside, so I may as well start.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day.

Joe

There are people here who look to me for their inspiration. If I can accomplish what I need to get done without feet, what's stopping them?

Nurses told me I was an inspiration to others, cheered them up a bit, to see a (then) 21 yr. old getting a partial hip replacement (intertrochanter fracture w/ aneurysmal bone cysts) and dealing with it with a sense of humour (on the outside). Inside, I was pretty miserable about the whole thing but it cheered me up to think I was cheering others up. But, I have to admit, the food was pretty darn good!...once I got past the Jell-O & ice cream period. I was also allowed to have pizza delivered.

Good Morning! 52° and STILL raining! The rain puts a crimp in our walking regimen. And to think our treadmill is sitting in a storage unit in Tenessee! There's a lot of stuff to do inside, so I may as well start.

I hope everyone has a fantastic day.

Joe

Joe, according to the Weather Channel (News12, actually) the rotation of this nor'easter has us (on LI) getting the rain as it rotates to NJ. It's going to finally start to clear-up later today (after, what, a week?) so you might have clearer weather soon.

I have a concrete pour and a shed roof to get up...need dry weather. Yeah, I could be stripping six layers of paint off some reclaimed doors but just not in the mood. Last night I bought a 4x8 trailer kit at Harbor Freight that requires clear weather to put together. Been thinking about it for months but now I need to replenish my stock of 4x8 plywood and no longer have any subcontractors on-site to make the run for me. It also costs $200-$400 to have someone make a landfill run; now I can do it with a $400 trailer + $ x weight being landfilled.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to our weather people, we're in for a mid spring unseasonal heat wave from Sunday to midweek with temps topping the 40C (104F). Not looking forward to that.

I built an 8x4 trailer a few years ago, doesn't get a lot of use these days and the wife keeps saying "why don't you sell it? It costs rego all the time" I say "I'd only have to use it once or twice a year and I've saved more than that would cost in any freight charges otherwise charged"

Dinner was OK. Honey glazed chicken. Sliced carrots. Buttered egg noodles. White bread. 2% milk.
Made fifteen feet on a walker today. Doesn't seem like much but it's a big issue to me. I'm being transferred to a care facility in Rosepine Tuesday.

Evening All,

Ran the errands today then Peggy and the Grand Kids came over after her work. We went out and bought the kids Halloween costumes then went out to supper. Friday and Saturday the kids are staying with us because our daughter and husband are redoing their master bathroom. I will most likely be helping with that all weekend. I wanted to finish the mirror project and finish the ballasting on the layout but that is now probably going to happen. Oh well. I have nothing but time now.

Karl- That was a good looking loco and a very nice looking layout.

Joe-
I have not completed all the ballasting on the project yet. I still need to ballast the area of the 4 turnouts. I have completed the rest of it (approaches and both ends of the reverse loop). I will post a picture when I get it completed.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Back