Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Bill Tidler Jr.

Retired NS Signal Construction Gang Signalman
COFFEE_CREME1.png

Good Morning!

It's Mon 7/28/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Spotty showers and a high of 72. I'll probably be working in the yard or messing around in my shop. :D

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Good morning. It's 76° with 99% humidity. It'll be cloudy with a less than fair chance of showers and thunderstorms. The high will be 94°.
pcloudy-1.jpg
with
cond30.jpg

Today I'll be waiting on the Home Health nurse to call. The wound vac is out of the picture until a doc does a reevaluation. Standard wet to dry dressings are being used now and those have to be changed every day. The nurse will change them on Monday and Friday. I'll change them Tuesday thru Thursday and Saturday and Sunday.

On tearing the layout down, that'll probably be done when I feel up to it. When that will be I don't know. Right now just moving causes pain and I'm not going to do anything that requires pushing, pulling or lifting if I can help it. It could be next month or next year but eventually it'll happen unless something changes that allows me to be able to work on it again. Right now I just can't see what that could be.

Outside of getting the dressings on my foot changed I have no plans. The site of the latest toe amputation appears to be healing very well. I don't know yet when the stitches will be taken out. They've been in for just over a week now.

IMAG0009.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

It's good night from me. A fine and clear night, coolish outside, but not greatly. Warmest July on record and the next few days are forecast to be similar with temps getting up to 27C (80.6F). A nice summer we're having. Oh! wait, it's winter.

Afternoon All,

Survived the vampire today with only 3 tubes and only being stuck 1 time. I was going to work on the fence today for the layout but MOH had other plans, so it will have to wait until later in the week.

Got a message from the VA today to set up a initial Dr. appointment. I tried calling multiple times just getting a answering machine. This probably means I will have to go there on Friday to set it up.

Tomorrow I go back to work for the week. I work Tue, Wed, Thu with 14 hour shifts (for 4 more weeks anyway:D). Based on that I will talk to you all on Friday. I hope everyone has great week.

Good morning.

Karl .... A couple of years ago, lightning struck the car my brother-in-law in Nashville was driving. His hearing was affected for several weeks.

Glenn .... Thanks for the invite. When we go to Birmingham, it will be near the end of August when our family will help my mother celebrate her 95th birthday. We are contemplating another AL trip this fall when we may go to the AL Gulf Coast. That trip is still not certain.

Curt ... I bet the operating session will be a lot of fun. Enjoy the grand kids.

Joe ... Enjoy the walk with your wife. When my wife says "take a hike" she has another meaning.

Terry ... Glad the problem is being resolved.

Garry,

You must of missed my comment earlier about what's been going on, but that's OK. What week are you planning to be in B'ham in Aug.
My wife has a High School reunion the weekend of the 23rd. Its funny really, Her school was a brand new school building when they opened it in 1968. In 1979, they closed it. What a waste! What's even stranger is no class ever had a reunion. This is gonna be the first, and all classes are invited.

Just let me know when you're be here, and as long as its not that weekend we can get together. Provided that I even go. It depends on how I feel.

Survived the vampire today with only 3 tubes and only being stuck 1 time. I was going to work on the fence today for the layout but MOH had other plans, so it will have to wait until later in the week.

Curt: Good news on surviving the vampire. They were lined up for me last week.

Jeff, I must have missed a conversation along the way about you taking your layout down. It that a permanent tare down or a rebuild like you did last time?
Sure got hot today. 100% humidity w/97* It was supposed to rain last nite, but never did. Lots of Thunder & Lightning & high winds, but, no rain. The yard looks like it hasn't been mowed for a month w/all the rain, but the guy just mowed it last week.
haven't missed the trains yet. It's been 2 yrs almost. Aug. 2012. Seems like it's been 5 yrs. Still have a lot of Snowbirds stopping every year from Oct. till May to see the layout. They can't beleive it's gone. Neither can I. LOL

Jeff, I must have missed a conversation along the way about you taking your layout down. It that a permanent tare down or a rebuild like you did last time?

I may keep this layout, I may not. Either way I have no plans to build another one. I don't have the money, I don't have the supplies and I don't have the energy for it.

Good afternoon, It's a bit cooler today, 91.8 °F - Feels Like 91 °F, Hum-i-dity is 20% headed to 42% at 11:00 Pm. The winds are slight, 2.7 from the South. Tonights low is supposed to be 72 °F, so it a bit more comfortable.

Nothing much else to report other than a helicopter circled around twice in a n odd pattern earlier but that's it for now.

Say Jeffrey: What's all the talk about tearing your layout down? Or like Larry mentioned is it just a rebuild for you?

Btw, you mentioned the way you were taking the shots of the trains rolling through your area at the old station.
What your doing is correct buy trying to shoot at the fastest shutter speed and smallest aperture to give you a greater depth of field for your subject. Of course there are a couple of other things that come into play. If you want a greater depth of field to get more of the train in focus you then should be using as wide an angle lens setting as you can plus as small an aperture, such as with all the single dome tank cars, so more of them are in focus. That first car sure looked brand new and shinny alright.

You also need to keep in mind that the closer you are to the point of focus the shallower your depth of field will be. So like with tank cars, if you choose a point of focus part way back on the car it will increase your depth of field.

Anyway your shots are looking fairly good. That's one of the benefits of a point and shoot camera is usually greater depth of field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Say Jeffrey: What's all the talk about tearing your layout down? Or like Larry mentioned is it just a rebuild for you?

It's not going to be a rebuild. If I tear it down it'll be torn down and gone. I have no plans to build another one. On the other hand if I can recover enough to work on it I'll pick up where I left off, joining the track running around the computer on the extension to the track on the main part of the layout. Plaster and scenery will follow as I can afford to do it. But it all depends on my medical and physical condition improving.

Good Evening everyone. Early this morning, around 0240, we had a noisy storm with plenty of lightning, thunder, hail and about 1.1" of rain. Worst was it woke me up. When I got back into bed, I slept on my right side........mistake!!!! My right hand is still numb. My youngest son drove up from NC today. He plans on being here a week or so. Wife and I are very happy to see him.

Jeffrey, FWIW, your primary concern is your regaining control over the disease. Once you have regained health and strength, you can decide what you want to do. Right now, you really can not, and should not do anything that interferes with your recovery.

Larry, good to see you are still hanging around.

Speaking of trains, I actually ran them for about a half hour today. I'm undecided as to whether I want to rebuild, repair or replace my current layout. For now, I'll live with it as I have too many other things to do and I'm falling behind my self imposed schedule.

Joe

A local Church stopped by the other day & asked if I would build a layout for them in HO scale. I asked them what kind of building they were going to put it in? They said a 20 by 20 ft. metal bldg. & wanted to know about a cost. I told them did they want a lot of scenery like my layout use to be? They said they want almost the same thing I had. I told them I had about 20 Grand tied up in mine. They almost fainted & there was a big silence. Then someone spoke up & said they couldn't even start to afford something like that. I told them they could start out w/just track & engines & transformers. That would probably cost about 10 grand or there abouts. they said they would come back after they thougfht about it.

I didn't get a whole lot accomplished today. Just watched some TV and got the dressings on my foot changed. Had lunch with my father and step mother. A combination sausage and pepperoni pizza. That was about it. I have a doc appointment in the morning so that's the morning pretty much shot.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010003.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010021.jpg

Just lifted my head from the workbench for a beverage! Oh, nice digs!:cool:

Bill, are we just laying waste to the old diners, or are we recycling them? I swear I've seen that rivet counter before!

On the other hand if I can recover enough to work on it I'll pick up where I left off, joining the track running around the computer on the extension to the track on the main part of the layout.
Plaster and scenery will follow as I can afford to do it. But it all depends on my medical and physical condition improving.

Did I miss something that happened? From what you said it sounds like your layout suffered some damage somehow?

Amazingly, I had enough energy to go out to the trainroom and "exercise" the layout this evening! This entire past weekend I felt as though my bod wasn't firing on all cyclinders, probably from the dull but ever-present pain of the pinched nerve in my lower back. I really don't like the idea of popping ibuprofen every 6 hours, so I only take it when I really need it.

Anywho, I test-ran each one of my staged main line trains. Also decided to re-introduce a pair of Iron Belt SD38-2's onto the layout. The prototypes weren't built until 1972, so I'll really be pushing the envelope on accuracy. But they can handle some of the sharper curves inside the steel mill - unlike the SD9's which have truck swivel clearance issues. Reliable operation must take priority for op sessions.

Jeff - we'll double our prayer efforts for your recovery, don't want to see that layout get demolished!

POUR_COFFEE1-Copy.png

Good Morning!

It's Tue 7/29/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Slight chance of rain with a high of 78. Heading to the vet today for the cat's annual checkup. :D

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

Just lifted my head from the workbench for a beverage! Oh, nice digs!:cool:
Bill, are we just laying waste to the old diners, or are we recycling them? I swear I've seen that rivet counter before!

I just start a new thread after 100 pages but I'm not a Mod so I can't close (lock) the old ones. I'm not sure what a "rivet counter" is. :D

Amazingly, I had enough energy to go out to the trainroom and "exercise" the layout this evening! This entire past weekend I felt as though my bod wasn't firing on all cyclinders, probably from the dull but ever-present pain of the pinched nerve in my lower back. I really don't like the idea of popping ibuprofen every 6 hours, so I only take it when I really need it.

Say Ken, Try getting some, 'blue goo' a pain relief gel, which is a combination of menthol mixed with 100% pure EMU Oil. It's worked great for me and others I suggested it to. You should be able to find it in the Walmart drug ile with other body rubs.

It's not greasy but beware after applying it to wash your hand/s real good as if you get it even near your eyes you'll know it right away as they'll begin to burn. But it should work wonders on your back.

Oh, glad you were able to run a few trains.

Take care,

David

Did I miss something that happened? From what you said it sounds like your layout suffered some damage somehow?

The layout extension and some of the main layout were demolished for a number of reasons. One was to make room for my //e computer which is now on the layout extension. The main reason is bad trackwork that had to be ripped out. I was in the process of relaying the track on the extension and joining it to the track on the main part of the layout when my health went south. For now I'm mostly incapable of doing the work that's required.

Back