Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLIII

Good morning. It's 73° with 95% humidity. There's a small chance of rain. The high will be 92°.
pcloudy-1.jpg
with
cond20.jpg

Only thing on the schedule today is a doctors appointment at 10:15. Outside of watching a movie or two I have no idea what's in store for the rest of the day.

P1010020.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010019.jpg

I've been thinking about how to make something that'll support me as I work on the layout. I can't stand for more than a few minutes before it becomes agonizing. If I can construct something I can lean on that will take some of the weight off. It's just an idea at this point. From ideas come innovation and from innovation comes inventiveness. I'm good at being inventive, at building things and I will do this. I'm not going to let not being able to stand and work defeat me! Sitting is out as the layout is too high and I have to be able to reach across it. No matter what it takes, no matter what I have to do, I'll make something that'll let me work on my layout with some degree of comfort.

I've been thinking about how to make something that'll support me as I work on the layout. I can't stand for more than a few minutes before it becomes agonizing. If I can construct something I can lean on that will take some of the weight off. It's just an idea at this point. From ideas come innovation and from innovation comes inventiveness. I'm good at being inventive, at building things and I will do this. I'm not going to let not being able to stand and work defeat me! Sitting is out as the layout is too high and I have to be able to reach across it. No matter what it takes, no matter what I have to do, I'll make something that'll let me work on my layout with some degree of comfort.

That's good to hear. Best of luck with that!

Jeffrey - would something like this serve as inspiration for your creativity?

83876_R.jpg

Good afternoon. Temp: 84°, humid: 51%

It's warm but not hot. It might as well be with the humidity. You sweat just as much as if it was 100°. Got the doc appointment wrapped up. Go back in two weeks. Thursday I have an appointment with a different doc (evaluation for continuing with the wound vac) then on the 5th I have one with still another doc (gall bladder issues). Seems like they're lined up! After seeing the doc went to the pharmacy to pick up a new antibiotic. AMOX TR-K CLV. It's a generic form of Augmentin. It consists of amoxicillin which is one of the antibiotics in the penicillin family, along with clavulanate potassium, which works in the body to fight penicillin-resistant bacteria. I'm allergic to penicillin so it's gonna be interesting to see what this does. From the pharmacy it was on to Wal-Mart to pick up some things I needed. Among those were two cans of carb cleaner (cheaper than starting fluid) and a bag of #117B rubber bands. I use them on the sleeve of my prosthetic leg. They keep it from sliding down so it doesn't try to come off. A simple fix for a potentially embarrassing event.

Nothing scheduled for the rest of the day except to get some rest.

Say Jeffrey, Now that's the spirit indeed!

How about an adjustable leg walker, with four legs with rubber tips, only it would be used in reverse and have a seat on it to sit on at times? The walkers have a cross bar on each side that a seat could be attached to. Maybe the medical supply might have something else also?

It's another somewhat warm day with temps at 93.4 °F - Feels Like 91 °F and Hum-i-dity of 20%. The temp is going for a high of 99 °F and the low to night will be 72 °F. Winds are from the SSE at 2.2 mph.

There are two fires burning out my way but both are a fair distance from me, one is in the El Poirtal area which is just outside the Western entrance of Yosemite National Park with Mariposa, Calif. being the largest foothill community about 20 miles to the West. The other fire is near Mammoth Pool Resivour which is North and East of me by about 30 miles. I could smell the smoke from that fire earlier this morning and another RR friend who lives at Bass Lake, only about 10 miles from there said the smoke was so thick he couldn't see across the lake this morning.

=jeffrey-wimberly;
P1010020.jpg

P1010016.jpg

P1010019.jpg

Jeffrey, what layout are these shouts taken of?

See you all later

How about an adjustable leg walker, with four legs with rubber tips, only it would be used in reverse and have a seat on it to sit on at times? The walkers have a cross bar on each side that a seat could be attached to. Maybe the medical supply might have something else also?

Too big. My friend David Parks has come up with something that's workable. It's a simple design and easy to build. Here's his post copied and pasted from my forum:

May I suggest a 3 legged stool arrangement that has the seat mid-way up and the legs coming together in a triangle a couple of inches above the edge of the layout. When you are on it you will be seated facing the legs. 2 of the legs will be vertical and the middle leg will be pulled back so it rests on the floor beneath the seat.

Here is a rough rendering.

workstool_zps13c2e87e.jpg

Well I put the new antibiotic into my med regimen and now I feel like crap. This tab is the antibiotic that's in penicillin. I'm allergic to penicillin and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason I feel so bad. I feel so bad I try not to move unless I absolutrery have to. I feel weak, mt eyes icth and I feel dizzy. Calling nthe doc tomorrow and telling hio about it. I don't need this.

Good evening. It's mostly clear and 75.
I got my CARE package from MTH today. I installed the electronics and put the engine on the programming track, programmed it to #4449. It didn't take, but then I remembered these engines need to be programmed in OPS mode, under power, so I did that next. Programming was successful. All the lights now work like they should, and I was able to figure out which of 16 different combinations was correct for hooking the smoke unit back up. I then selected 4449 and turned on the throttle.
Well, it looks nice, and makes lots of cool sounds, and the smoke unit works... It looks like the optical sensor for the feedback to the decoder is also burned up. The engine does run, sort of. It does not chuff, and, since the sensor isn't transmitting back to the decoder, the decoder doesn't know what the engine is doing. So, open the throttle, it lunges forward for about 1.5 revolutions of the drivers, then stops for a moment, and lunges forward again.
At least now I know what I am up against, and can see what detail parts I can get when I call MTH back tomorrow for the sensor.
...And so it goes...

Terry
You are too nice of a guy. I think I would have ripped this little worm a new posterior orifice and then released the flying monkeys before I lifted a finger to fix this beast. Best of luck getting this working.
Speaking of making a silk purse out of a sows ear. The Tyco 2-8-0 project is up and running. After a replacement set of gears from NWSL and re-quartering of all the drivers, the little bugger runs quite well!. I've just got to fabricate a few parts for the new pilot, a little paint touch up and weathering, and you might never know it started life as a "Chattanooga Choo-Choo". Yes,,were all a little sick at heart.
Finally, I think I am giving up my membership across the street. Its getting too snobbish, or if you ask a question, stupid remarks are outnumbering genuine answers by 4 to one. I don't need that kind of aggravation in my life. :p This group has ALWAYS had a better attitude.

Well I put the new antibiotic into my med regimen and now I feel like crap. This tab is the antibiotic that's in penicillin. I'm allergic to penicillin and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the reason I feel so bad. I feel so bad I try not to move unless I absolutrery have to. I feel weak, mt eyes icth and I feel dizzy. Calling nthe doc tomorrow and telling hio about it. I don't need this.

I would say this med is the exact reason. My wife is also allergic to penicillin, or anything that's remotely related. They tried to give her some in hospital a couple'a years ago and she told them if they tried to she'd walk out and file a complaint. She also won't take generic brands either 'cause they often use sulphur as a binder in the bases of the tabs, which she's also allergic to. If you get welts/raised lumps by the time you read this, get to hospital.

Terry,
I'm afraid I'm with Karl in regards to that smart*ss little pr**k. However, your endeavours with this loco to try to salvage it are courageous to say the least. Also you may have given me a clue as to why I haven't succeeded in readdressing one of my MTH SD70ACe's. You say it must be done under power. By this do you mean not only in OPS mode but actually with extra track power being applied as well in some way? Did you also have to turn off power for 5+ seconds before turning on again for the decoder to set the changes? (my MTH instructions came with a addendum stating this to be necessary in both DCS and DCC) I found when doing Tsunamis it seems you have to exit OPS before trying out changes.

Howdy ..

Been a bit busy with non-model-railroad stuff lately.

Curt .... Any chance you are going to the Great Train Show in Orlando? My friend is a dealer who will be there.

Carey .... Maybe we can figure out a time to meet before I return home from AL.

Cheers, everybody.

BUNN_COFFEE.png

Good Morning!

It's Wed 7/30/14

BLUECOFFEEMAN.png

Small chance of showers with a high of 78. I'll be off to the club later today. :D

TRAIN_ROUNDANDROUND.png

Tipton.gif

Temperature in TIPTON IN

And it's goodnight from me after another fruitless night of attempts to get this MTH loco to take it's long address. Tried all sorts of ways to do it, even while running it along my 6' of track @ speed step 2. Weird thing is that when I press enter to set it, the horn toots 3 times, which normally would indicate acceptance by the decoder, but it doesn't matter if I turn off the power according to instructions, either after or before exiting OPS mode, or not. Just will not "take" the new address.

A thought just then, I wonder if it's because I have 2 of these with the same cab #. I plan to always run them as a pair facing the same way, seeing there appears to be no chance of consisting them with other decoders or even with themselves (I've made inquiries here to see if any MTH dealers have the decoder "reflashing" service available, but none do, don't even service them), so I figured that giving them both the same long address, they should (maybe not) respond to commands in unison. The other one was used and came already set and always responds to it's long address.

Back