Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, everybody !

It's hard to get any model railroading accomplished with all the other stuff going on. Now we are getting ready for company coming for Memorial Day weekend...... Honey Do !..

I did install grab irons on one Walthers Empire Builder car yesterday. Only two more EB cars to go. .... Installing grab irons is not my favorite model railroad activity. .... Oh well...

Been planning, planning, looking at maps and I believe I will be able to re create the major crossing near where I lived as a kid and the initial inspiration behind the basic table design. I thought it was a double main crossing a double main but the map shows a double going to a single just before it crosses the other double...you know what I mean? LOL I could not afford more 30 degree crossings but I have 2 and they will work fine there. Pretty much going to be a 22"-24" Double main around the edge, (not TOO close!) and an 18"-15" for the "interior" I'll have my "race track" and plenty of switching too. Thanks to YOU awesome forum members who have taught me all I know, but know all YOU know...ya know? Thanks a million again guys and photos WILL be forthcoming when there is something to show.

HAPPY ROLLING!

Good Morning everyone....beautiful morning here in Wisconsin.
Anti-virus software...anyone use Avast software??? I've had problems with Norton and found the Avast software to be overall well suited to my needs.
Greg

GREG -- I've been pretty OK with WEBROOT. It comes with the GEEK support. It's what they recommend.

Checking in quickly. Stopped at Albert Lea, Minnesota for food and fuel. Got as far as Chamberlain, SD last night. We'll probably stop somewhere around Davenport, IA tonight, or somewhere in western, Illinois. By the time we hit Chicago the busiest part of their rush hour should be over. Should be able to stop a little earlier tonight so I hope to have time to turn on the laptop and check posts. It is hard to keep up with the phone.

Later

[QUOTE="montanan, post: 434375, member: 4041”]This is the first time I have ventured into town with the wife for her weekly trip. I won't do that again for a while. Where did all these people come from ?????[/QUOTE]

I know the feeling. I *never* go on errands with my wife; she spends 15 minutes per item in the grocery store, going through her coupons and comparing shelf prices, then usually stops off at at least one garage/church/yard sale.

Working with those fine wires are a real pain. Ran out of choice words so I took a few photos and came back upstairs.
Been wondering about that. I'm going to be working exclusively with Kato plug-and-play electrics, but I don't want to drill holes big enough for the plugs and sockets to fit through the table. This means I'll be cutting the wires, then splicing them back together underneath the setup. So, how am I going to do the splice? The simple answer would be to splice, then wrap in electrical tape. I've been watching a lot of home-renovation shows, though, and I'm leery of the "simple" answer.

Time to run a few night shift trains then, Chet. The lighting sure looks good and must cut down on crime in the neighbourhood. Would be a crime not to take advantage. Add to the challenge.
Umm... Am I the only one to see the irony of Toot's phrasing?

Yes, you'll often see the same ones, sorry. I've intentionally kept them to a minimum, only at the top an bottom of the page, so they shouldn't be too obnoxious. You're right, some of them are pretty lame. I've seen good ones, from reputable suppliers, and I've seen ones that I'm pretty sure aren't so good. As you say, I have pretty limited control over what does and doesn't show up. I've blocked a few of the most annoying categories like online dating ads. It's a balancing act, and the revenue is pretty minimal as it is.

Also, they're served from, and determined by, Google. (Except for the one at the bottom of the page, that's Amazon). It's funny to see what some of them are, they seem to key on the discussion.

BTW, speaking of Amazon. The ones at the very bottom of the page are from them. So, if the ad for "Super Trees" is showing up there, keep in mind that they typically offer a money back satisfaction guarantee on their products. Just be sure to read the details before ordering, especially if it's a "third party seller". Usually you can check the reviews and that tells you what you need to know.
Could you please unblock the online dating?

Look what the wife found at the library book sale!
20180524_141349.jpg

We were talking about Legos, a few days back. This is from a train show about a year ago (I may have posted this before).

LOL! That's one of the features available in our "premium" membership, only $49.95 per month. ;)

Would that be VISA, MC, Discover, PayPal, Money Order, Check, or Cash.

Never mind. Even if I collected bottles for deposit, turned it into a Western Union transfer, under an assumed name, the wife would still know. That's what I get for being with the same one for 45 years.

Hey, Toot - does Australia sell upside-down cameras?!?
I dun'no, but my last one fell on the concrete floor at the club and all the pictures inside magically dissapeared into it. Maybe you can catch them if they come out near you.

DRAT-- Was working on a couple repair jobs for the Spousal Unit and the variable speed switch on my Dremel locked up and wouldn't move. I spent about an hour taking it apart and getting the slide switch to work - reassembled it and nothing, nada, zilch! Didn't even "spark" at me!

I sure am getting tired of everything I own quitting, stopping, and just plain not working!
Terry -- Have you sent Murphy to my house?

DRAT-- Was working on a couple repair jobs for the Spousal Unit and the variable speed switch on my Dremel locked up and wouldn't move. I spent about an hour taking it apart and getting the slide switch to work - reassembled it and nothing, nada, zilch! Didn't even "spark" at me!

I sure am getting tired of everything I own quitting, stopping, and just plain not working!
Terry -- Have you sent Murphy to my house?
Sharing is caring...

Good morning everyone. 67 and overcast, moving toward 87 with a 40% chance of rain today. The weekend looks nice but hitting 90s each day.

Mowed half the yard last night (the top half ;) ), and will finish tonight. Did get a few minutes at the modeling bench, painted a couple of walls on a DPM structure. When we met up with Garry and friends last Saturday at the hobby store, I picked up a set of restaurant furniture for a diner on the layout, so I started cementing pieces in place last night.

For those of you with a 3-day holiday weekend, may your grills cook everything to perfection!! (That includes me)
Have a good day everyone.

Bob, others - Don't know what's going on, but for the past 2-3 weeks I've had a bear of a time with the forum. Sometimes it won't let me log in, sometimes it won't let me log out, and sometimes, like this morning, it won't let me post. Thought it might be my browser, but I've tried IE, Google Chrome, and FireFox, and the same things happen with all of them. Anyone else experienced these kinds of problems?

Good Morning All. Warm at 71° and a few clouds scattered about. Mid 90's forecast for the next few days, then Wednesday they are predicting triple digits for the remainder of the ten day forecast. No rain in sight. Typical summer here except about three or four weeks early. I guess it's about time, as the last two summers have been much cooler than normal. Grocery/beer trip went well yesterday, the young ladies in their summer attire certainly brightened things up.
Out in the train shed, I took time off from projects and ran trains for about 2 1/2 hours. Then I assembled an Athearn blue box 50' gondola that I had to renumber. Been on the "stock" shelf for over fifteen years. It was then that I discovered that I was out of "Gothic" dry transfer numbers in the correct height. I ended up using a "Roman" zero for the number and I will use weathering to hide the styling difference. It's a gondola after all.
RANT - I use Woodland Scenics dry transfers that I have had for at least 25 years. They still work because I keep them sealed in a ziplock bag. BUT they have four sizes in each set! I'll never use the "O" scale or any others, sometimes I will use the "N" scale for end of car numbers, but I usually just disguise them anyway. So I have all of these sets, black and white, Gothic and Roman that I cannot use, but I am out of white Gothic "HO" scale that I use the most of. Since I have fourteen "kit" cars left, I will be forced to purchase a whole new set in order to finish those cars. End of rant.

Chet - I somehow missed your departure, so belatedly have a safe trip. Keep your doors locked through Chicago!
Greg - Yes, I can see where you could get a lot of viewing done at the cabin. Enjoy.
Garry - I didn't use to like installing grabirons, but as I got better they weren't nearly so dreaded. I can now usually get at least 1 1/2 cars done (80-100 holes) before I break a #80 drill bit.
Bruce - Looking forward to your pictures.
Beady - Looks like a neat video collection. Enjoy. Those Lego layouts that I have seen as well as the one you posted, are really quite fascinating.
Sam - Congratulations on 45 years. I know the feeling as we celebrate 46 this September.
Sherrel - Did you try plugging it in?:oops:
Johnny - One thing that I miss about being retired is three day weekends!:cool: FWIW - I have never had any difficulties with using this forum, posting pictures or anything else...with the exception of the Google red page a year or so ago. I use Firefox exclusively and I use Win7.

Well everyone have a great and safe weekend. I stocked up on charcoal and big hunks of red meat (well some chicken also) and I will be spending quite a bit of time on the back porch. Actually normal behavior for me!

Willie

Good Morning, Happy Friday! 68° and sunny with an "Air Quality Alert" Today is BENNY Friday, the first "official" trek to the Jersey Shore by the Bennys. - The term BENNY, dates to the CRRNJ Baggage tags applied to checked baggage. B.E.N.N.Y means Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark and New York. The CNJ and the PRR both provided rail service from NYC and North Jersey to the Shore resort towns in Monmouth County via the jointly owned New York and Long Branch RR. Service is currently provided by New Jersey Transit.

Enjoy the weekend and remember the reason we have Memorial Day.

Sherrel: Just reach in to your spare change purse, and buy yourself a new one. The battery powered ones are nice.

Bob, others - Don't know what's going on, but for the past 2-3 weeks I've had a bear of a time with the forum. Sometimes it won't let me log in, sometimes it won't let me log out, and sometimes, like this morning, it won't let me post. Thought it might be my browser, but I've tried IE, Google Chrome, and FireFox, and the same things happen with all of them.
Johnny: When I click on the book mark, MS Edge tells me it can not find the page...I click on the refresh icon and it comes up. Also, sometimes the reply function doesn't work properly. There are some quirks and bugs in the forum software, and there is a learning curve.

Boris

Boris & all, yes their are a few small bugs in the software and some times it does weird stuff. It’s a very complex program and while they try their best, and update often, it’s not perfect. Anything this complex is going to have the occasional bug. That said, they do upgrades often, and I'm also working behind the scenes to continually do upgrades and improvements. The recent forum upgrades and new server were the major changes, but I'm also doing other minor items to keep things running smoothly.

You mentioned logging in and logging out. That’s usually a cookie and browser cache issue, they get confused sometimes. Also, some browsers will try to make things easier by logging you in when you load the page. Unless you are using a shared or public computer, where you are concerned that others might log in as you, there’s no reason to ever log out. After 60 minutes of no activity, the forum realizes you’re not hear and no longer shows you as being online. So once you’ve logged in, no need to log out (unless you're on a shared computer), it doesn't do anything on the forum end. The forum only checks if you're logged in when you try to do something, so staying logged in doesn't use any system resources or cause a problem. Not logging out may well help with that issue.

It was even worse on the old Forum, where the photo gallery and forum used their own cookies. You could end up in a situation where you were logged into one, but not the other, and they both got all kind of confused by that, as did the poor member who couldn't figure out why some stuff worked but some didn't! I'm very glad that the photo gallery is now completely integrated with the forum, that solves that issue and others as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back