Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Clear and 60° out there this morning. Birds are chirping away. Managed to survive Cinco de Mayo here; my neighbors about a quarter mile up the road, who aren't even Mexican, let loose some aerial fireworks around 9:30 last night, waking me up. Lots to do outdoors yesterday with perfect weather. Mowed, cut firewood, picked lots of vegetables, and walked my usual mile. Someone had dumped a dead animal off the bridge down the road and I interrupted the vultures during their dinner. Two of those pictured in my avatar still nest in the loft of my barn. Wife is out of town, so I peeled the plastic film off the front of the new dishwasher; let's see if she notices! We have eight year old lampshades in the living room that still have the plastic on them!
Out in the train shed, I painted some more figures. I added window treatments and some signs to a Merchants Row I structure that I built a few months ago, not complete yet...there's over 40 windows plus storefronts to do. I have officially started my new project area, the other side of the street in a small town business district that I began months ago.
View attachment 26520
While it's on the workbench, I will be removing the other structures (looks like I have a roof to repair) and painting the plywood as well as painting and ballasting the track. These structures still all need a little work, note all of the passed out patrons in front of the pool hall.
Here's the "after" picture of that small corner area that I have been working on. to recap, I had a small partially finished area about 10" x 14" that I added more trees, shrubs details and hobos/homeless people to. Here's both the before and after shots.
View attachment 26522
View attachment 26521
As I get inspiration, I am going to add more trees between the road and track on the right side of the scene. I am also experimenting with making a tent out of a used teabag to add in as well.
Elsewhere, returning to the town of Vernon from last week, next door to the rooming house (Wicked Wanda's) is another residence.
View attachment 26523
This trailer came from a company called NuComp Miniatures. Back in the corner is a propane distributorship made from two Walther's "Central Gas & Supply" kits.

Justin - How does an Athearn truck get broken? Those engines are indestructible! Before replacing the motor in the GP35, check the mounting pads.
Ken (D&J) - Nice video. Continued good luck getting everything to work the way that you want it to work.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie
Dumb luck? The tabs for the sideframe broke off. How? Maybe a little too much English on it? Yeah that's how I broke a truck on an Athearn locomotive.....

Good Afternoon Everyone...just returned from the cabin and everything is okay, no more problems. The snow is finally gone. Where was snow ppiles last week, now the daylillies are starting to pop up. Watched several DVD's on railroading while at the cabin.

Stopped at rest area and read the latest on the Forum on my Smart Phone. Lots of interesting people at the rest stop. Watched a Leer private jet come in for a landing at the Fond du Lac counry airport. Beautiful aircraft.

Tomorrow and Tuesday are all model railroad days with the goal for finishing small projects. First off securing the new ballast. Need to get several vehicles for the parking lot for in front of the emporium.

That's all for now.

Greg

###############

Last edited:
Good afternoon. 76 degrees with sun, bu may get some thunder storms later. Can't believe the change in the weather. Some of the trees have started to leaf out in just 2 days.

Rain delay at the race at Dover so I thought I should better check in.

Yesterday was along day. Wanted to get an early start mowing and just got started when the belt on the mowing deck took a dump. Managed to locate one and after a 30 mile round trip finally got started on the mowing. Sure liked it better when my grandson was doing it, but the little guy managed to get a job. More power to him. Not lazy like most kids his age.

Garry - Excellent photos of the Erie Built. Saw some of them pulling our train on the Hiawatha out of Harlowtown to Chicago.

Ken - D&J - Liked the train ride video. Hope the new video editor works out for you as I really enjoy all of your videos.

Willie - Great photos. It's nice to get to see more of your layout. Nice work.

After getting the mowing taken care of I got a lot of yard work done that was neglected due to the crappy weather we had. By the end of the day my butt was dragging my tracks out 10 feet behind me, BUT, I did manage to work up enough energy to go to the club in Livingston and run for a while. The little RS-1 was doing its thing.

20180505_202635.jpg

I would like to decrease the volume level a but and one of the club members asked if I had tried a hammer. Nice guty.

Louis
- This picture is for you. It is the Lionel layout at the club.

20180505_201931.jpg

It is a big hit with the younger kids as they get to sit at the controls and run the trains.

Gerry -
You mentioned that you liked the cattle pens. Here is a closed view.

20180505_192945.jpg

Thjey have so many mini scenes on the layout that are so nicely detailed. I will have to post some of them.

The race is getting ready to resume.

Later

Howdy.

We spent yesterday and some of today in Nashville. It was a two weeks late birthday celebration for my wife . We ate too much at Ruth’s Chris for dinner last night.

Ken D&J ... I enjoyed the video. 200 locomotives is a lot . Wow.

Willie. ... it was good seeing your photos posted today with more good looking buildings .

Chet ... I like the Livingston photos. Your RS1 looks nice. .. it is interesting you road behind MILW FM’s. I recall seeing them in suburban service at the end of their economic lives. They were in rough condition. Thanks for your remark about my photo.

Joe ... thanks for commenting on the photo of FM’s on the bridge.

Having had my interest piqued by the reference to a tiny Savage unit in a freight consist, passing over MRL's rails, I went looking in my usual source, rrpicturearchives.net. Found they had several ex CP SW1200's that had been rebuilt by CP, with the model designation SW1200RSm, 8 in total. 3 had retained their original EMD appearance, but the others had their long hoods raised and otherwise altered.
This particular one had the comment with the picture that it was well travelled. Seems Savage hires them out quite a bit, so probably this one or one like it, was seen in that train.
1525694205197.png

Good Morning All. 61° and clear skies to start my day. Sometime yesterday, the weather gurus changed our forecast and now call for temperatures in the lower 90's for the next three days. A little early for that. I have to start thinking about removing the pool cover and getting it ready. The water is usually warm enough by May 25th or so. The heat will spell an end to quality lettuce and spinach production in the garden. The recent rain and warm weather has really made the grass grow here, areas that I mowed Wednesday needed it again yesterday. Headed out for an early doctor visit this morning, the usual quarterly visit so he can make part of his Mercedes payment. Finally got my wife to make her appointment at the same time, so we'll save an extended trip. We need to find one closer to home, but we've been using this one for over 15 years and we like him.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I cleared off all the structures and moved the train off to staging in my latest project area for layout completion. Noted that I had actually painted the track and ties in this area previously, so I am already a day ahead. So I commenced with applying various shades of gray and brown paint to random ties to simulate replacement and weathering effects. I use a rattle can of Model Master "Light Earth" for a base, wiping off the rail tops as I go. I also started to look at each of the structures that I removed to ensure readiness. I'll be adding some roof details to some that don't already have enough, do some minor weathering to the walls and sidewalks, add curtains/storefronts where needed and attach figures to bring them to life. Some will get lighting if I haven't already installed it. Prior to putting them back, I will be striping the existing streets, adding two small sections that are not already there, installing a grade crossing and ballasting the track behind them.
Thanks for the comments on yesterday's photos Chet and Garry. Here's a few random shots from around the pike. All are in partially unfinished areas and two show some of the industries that I serve.
First is a Bicycle Shop in the town of Graham. This is made from DPM walls, the overhead door is cobbled together from Pikestuff leftovers. Figures and bicycle came from unpainted Preiser kits, not too sure about the dog.
05-05-18 001.JPG

Next up from the same town, a little more complete is a small rail served paper goods distributor, Consolidated Paper Products. I no longer remember who manufactured this kit, but some of the parts that I added came from Pikestuff as well.
05-05-18 002.JPG

Here's a view from the back.
05-05-18 003.JPG

Next up from a different town is Acme Chemical Company. This is an old Magnuson Models kit known as "VF Transfer Service". I replaced the original cardboard roofs with styrene when I built it and did not install the awning. It is one of four original Magnuson resin kits that I have. Walther's acquired them in the late 80's and reissued many of their original kits in plastic including at least three of the Merchant's Row kits.
05-05-18 012.JPG

You can see the previously posted cold storage facility to the right. This section of the RR is not yet on the radar for completion.

Chet - Some more great pictures from the club. That Lionel layout looks really impressive.
Toot - That is an interesting looking little critter.

So long you all. Doctor appointment in two hours, 50 miles away.
Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning fellers. Monday again....at any rate my C&O GP35 is getting worked on....AGAIN! Starting to think this unit really feels like it is an actual GP35! She's the older unit of my three RTR Athearns I have on my roster.

Attachments

• 15256966190001857133480.jpg
    15256966190001857133480.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 188
TOOT ... That's an interesting looking loco -- an interesting kitbash using GP-7 parts? Cute little critter!

CHET .. The RS-1 looks great there .. I would suggest getting another soes they could double head. That would look even better!

Willie .. enjoying your pics. Although it does look nice ... I liked the culvert scene better without the overgrowth - now, it is almose hidden.

2oo Locos, KEN D&J .... I cannot comprend that many! I remember ABAHO DEPOT (ABQ) and MILE HIGH Hobbies (DEN) having a whole wall full of locos and I don't believe they had 200 in all! Congratulations on the upcoming retirement and for accumulating all those locos!

Living the good life in Henderson State Park near Destin. So beautiful - MOH spent the whole day yesterday in and out of the water. Sand is as white as a sheet of paper and the water is aqua blue!
My shotgun rider enjoying the scenery going down the h/w.
Our campsite at the beach.
SWMBO surveys the surrounding area.
henderson fl 03 (Large).jpg
henderson fl 05 (Large).jpg
henderson fl 02 (Large).jpg

Good morning everyone. 55 and sunny, hitting 82 later today. Predicting 80's for highs, 60's for lows all this week - maybe I'll actually put away my winter coats and sweaters now - - - Coffee, please, Flo, and a chocolate croissant!!

Great weekend just past, weather-wise, but mixed weekend otherwise. Daughter had appendectomy Saturday. They caught it before it ruptured or got worse, so that means no further medical work. Those of you who have had a burst appendix know what I'm talking about. That meant we kept our 20-month old granddaughter Saturday and most of Sunday - that's always a riot - non-stop action with her, but she does love the trains so took her down to the train room a couple of times. Got the place mowed Friday evening, did a little more outdoor work Saturday before visiting daughter at the hospital and picking up the granddaughter. Sunday night, just ran trains for a while. Haven't done that in a few weeks. Don't have all the turnout controls properly labeled yet, and ended up throwing one the wrong way, causing a fun little derailment - no harm done, but took a while to get all the cars back on the rails.

Willie - Those are all great photos. Very nice work. I like the details you put in everything.
Chet - I see that Highway Patrol car. Looks like everything else is getting lit up nicely (and I don't mean at the bars). As usual, great detail in your scenes.
Ken - Great ridethrough. I don't have room for mountains and hills as big as the ones you have - but just wondering - what substructure do you use to build something that tall?

One thing I'm looking for is some non-working building spotlights, kind of like what's at the top of Garry's "Tattoo Charlies" billboard. I've looked through MBKlein's stuff but didn't see them. Anyone know where I can get them?

Time for another cup of coffee.Have a good day everyone.

Johnny - The structure is foam board and plywood. The top layer is screen mareial and wall plaster. The scenery layer is textured plaster using a sand type grit muxed in along with earth tone latex paint.
I used to have a link in my signature line to a thread that shows the progress if this empire from a bare basement. It's in the "Layout Design and Construction" subforum and is titled "Building the D&J Railroad from Scratch" or something similar to that. I had quite a few pictures of the progress until Photobucket locked them up for ransom.

Last edited:
Good morning. 46 degrees with an expected high in the mid 70's again. Think we skipped spring and went right into summer.

Sherrel - Your co driver seems to be paying a lot of attention to the road. Enjoyed the photos. Your road trip seems to be going well. Enjoy.

Gerry - When we saw the FM's at the head end of the Hiawatha I was quite young. I knew what the F units looked like and had no idea of what kind of locomotive it was. Only saw it one time in Montana but did see them from time to time between the twin cities and Chicago. May have been a fluke that they showed up so far west. The usual locomotive east out of Harlowtown were F units. They were built in the late 40' if I'm right and have no idea of why they were there. Could have been a shortage of power according to relatives working for the Milwaukee Road in Harlowtown.

Toot - Interesting locomotives. Some shop rebuilds can really confuse train watchers when they show up.

Ken D&J - Don't know what I would do with 200 locomotives, but I would have the power for long trains at the club. Better than my little RS-1 that struggles with 10 cars max on the grades they have. You are a short timer now. Enjoy the retirement. More time to work on the layout. I have been wanting to ask about the Diablo bridge project and how it is going.

Johnny
- Hope your daughter is doing well. You caught it just in time.

Willie - I really enjoy seeing your photos. The little mini scenes make a lot of difference. That is what I want to get working on. There are so many of them on the club layout. The members wife who built the town of Gardiner on the club layout is adding mini scenes all the time all over the layout.

Never got to see that train room at all this weekend unfortunately. Too many things going on. Here is one mini scene on the club layout.

20180505_203027.jpg

She even put someone at the outhouse at the rear of the barn. I am wondering if she would take a bribe and come over to work on my layout.

Here is a rail photo for this morning.

24c0fdea0a48549c34dab00c2c9f14a9.jpg

Later

Howdy ..

Sherrel .... Looks like fun !

Chet .... In either photo, somebody needs a weed whacker..... or better yet, a bush hog. .. LOL .... Interesting about the FM's . I recall an old MILW advertising picture of FM's in the mountains ...

Willie ... I continue to enjoy seeing your photos. .... Keep it up .

Johnny .... I'm glad your daughter had the appendectomy in time. .... I will not forget mine was after it ruptured. Not fun.

Toot ...... Interesting photos. I wonder if Dr. Frankendiesel worked for CP. LOL

Good Morning everyone.....sunny and seasonal here in Wisconsin.

Train room time.

Will post later.

Greg

#######################

Garry - Here is one of the posters wit an Erie Built.

51CAukmL3wL.jpg

Problem is that in the mountains in Montana, passenger trains were powered by Electric locomotives.

Chet. ... that’s the kind of advertising I remember. .. Fairbanks Morse hired Raymond Loewy to design the styling of the Erie Builts , and I think he hit a “home run” with the design.

Greg (WI) ... enjoy your train time.

Chet - the bridge has been a very slow going over the past several months. Still sitting on the kitchen table. The biggest problem is gathering all the tools I need to work on it. I have them but I need them for all the other maintenance work on the railroad. I'm thinking I will need dupicate sets so I can keep progressing on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back