Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening, everybody ...

Toot ..... The video is remarkable.

Chet .... Interesting photo, but there must be a story to it.

Good Morning - Have been up for an hour already despite being "dog tired" when we finally settled in here in St Augustine. A shuttle will take us to town later on where we will catch a short tour around.
We were late, a little after 8PM, stopping last nite. Decided to visit Savannah where we did another city tour and had a "stuffing" fresst at Paula Dean's restruant. Got back to the parking lot - next door to the Georgia Railroad Museum - where my phone promptly died ... Spousal Unit's phone had died an hour before and she had been using mine to (lol) photograph everything.
I spent about an hour wandering around the museum - would like to have had more time - but our campground in St Augustine locks up at 9 PM - and we cut it pretty short!
Loved Charleston and Savannah - saw a sign on the side of the highway that cracked me up ... "Dave's Fireworks ... 25 cents and up ... mostly up!" For some reason I couldn't stop laughing about it!
CHET ... Thought about you as I saw the MAYPORT signs - remember you mentioned it before.
TOOT ... That guy is a tree cutting genius!
KEN D&J ... That really sucks! I hope that you can salvage the operation. What a dissapointment!
GREG ... Glad to hear of your success, both on the layout and purchases. You have had quite an ordeal with the cabin ... hope that things go smoother for you there - but I must say that it has been interesting reading and seems to have taken a little heat off TERRY.
GARRY, IRONBELT, BORIS, JOHNNY, WILLIE, CURT - EVERYONE!
Thanks for the comments on the trip ... We still have a long way to go and many, many stops. Wife suggested yesterday that when we start back I-10 westward from San Antiontonia that we relay drive all night. (been told by many that there is nothing to see) Is this true - Willie?
Hard to believe that we have been gone almost two weeks already!
Please excuse the spelling - gotta figure out why no spellcheck on the ASUS!

Video editor. That's what I get for trusting. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of video equipment from them since 1995. I'll have to figure out what equipment is needed to interface my equipment with this machine, if the stuff even exists. Now I understand why they call this a custom build even though it's listed on their web sight as a video editor. Custom builds cannot be returned. Basically all they did was install a video compressor card in one of the PCI slots, something that a blind person could do by accident. Everything else in the box is as it comes from Hewlett Packard. Oh, and they strip away the HP warranty and replace it with their own that is identical but they want a couple hundred dollars for.

Good morning everyone. 68, cloudy, just going up to low 70's today. Got exactly 2 inches in the rain gauge from the storms that passed through yesterday. The garden survived the heavy downpour just fine. Time for coffee and a bearclaw, please, Flo.

Toot - Those are some awesome tree cutters. But it would have been easier if they had cut the tree down 30 years ago, before it grew so big:p

Finally got the "Johnny's Printing" sign mounted on the DPM structure and put it on the layout about where I want it. Took a few photos with my iPad, as I usually do, but it's not sending the photos to my computer. Never had that problem before. I'll keep working on it and post them when i can.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. Raining and 71°, Received 1.1" of rain yesterday and it just started again, will last until around noon. It's not supposed to get any warmer or cooler today, but back into the 80's tomorrow.

Thanks for the comments on yesterday's pictures, Johnny, Garry, Chet, Curt, Joe, Ken, and anyone else whom I may have missed. That Tire Shop was a fun and easy kit to do. One session to paint everything and one session to assemble it. I already had all of the detail parts and a perfect location for it.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I did the initial ground cover on that small area that is next on this current project. Over on the workbench I did set up my tree making stuff and made about a half dozen small trees for this location from Woodland Scenics armatures and coarse ground foam. I will intersperse them with another Woodland Scenics product called "Fine Leaf Foliage", which if trimmed right makes some nice looking scraggly trees. Ran a few trains to keep the engineers on their toes, and it helps keep the track clean. After this area is done, I intend to go back to the small town business district that I posted a few months ago and complete the area on the other side of the main street. Of the 13 businesses there, five have been identified, so I am looking at my stockpile of business signs to identify which ones may be appropriate to use on the other eight. Some of the figures that I have been painting recently are destined to reside there as well.

Going back to pictures, in the background of Magee's Tire Shop is a picture of Miracle Manufacturing Company (slogan is "If it Works, it's a Miracle"). That's another custom-built structure made from Pikestuff walls.
05-02-18 014.JPG

And now some random shots. About two years ago, I built a Bar Mills kit called "Wicked Wanda's" that I featured on a build thread here, http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/...tructure-build-bar-mills-wicked-wandas.28394/
Here is a picture of it in it's location at the north end of the town of Vernon that I have been featuring. The small outbuilding is a model of a shed from NuComp Miniatures, which is no longer in business. The wooden fence is also a Bar Mills product called "Insta-Fence". Propane tank and chain link fence are homemade.
05-02-18 006.JPG

And now a couple for Joe. These are a couple of Downtown Deco hydrocal kits that I have painted and assembled. The first is "Addams Ave Part I". I posted Part II last week. The second is "Blair Ave Part I".
05-02-18 015.JPG

05-02-18 016.JPG

I painted and added the phone booth, mailbox and fire hydrant which all came from a Walther's street detail kit. Look closely at the handrail stanchions. They are old Athearn handrail stanchions, a clever re-purpose from Randy. The scene in the upper floor of the Chinese restaurant is a "half-scene" from the Internet, that I mirrored with the computer to make a full scene for this window.

Ken (D&J) - That video editor situation really sucks. As much as you spent over the years, they should have a tech at your door. Good luck as I enjoy your videos.
Greg - Great price on the build up. Amazing how much mileage they get from a single kit. The simple DPM kit called Carol's Corner Cafe is $20.99; an improved version with added details and signs is known as "Main Street Mercantile" for $38.99 and the build up Corner Emporium" at $79.99.
Toot - Wow! I need a tree cutter like that!
Ken in MD - Get well soon.
Sherrel - The trip from San Antonio to El Paso is 550 miles of nothing! Day or night it is the same. However at night, one must be cognizant of "road hypnosis". In many locations, the closest hospital might be 90 miles away. The good thing is that much of the way, the speed limit is 85 mph...meaning for most Texans, 95! Highway Patrol is looking more at reckless drivers and potential smugglers (people and goods). Continue to have a safe trip.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

good-morning-dogs-smiley-emoticon.gif
Our two little furry friends decided that 3:30 AM was a good time to get up. Thought about them becoming homeless for a while. By the time coffee was ready, they had their breakfast and were taking a nap. There's something wrong with this picture.

40 degrees and the rock is still dry.

Toot - A couple of interesting videos. One sort of reminds me of this photo.

!cid_6CE3E824249145C4B86449DC0AC68DFE@JoAnnePC.jpg

Sherrel - sounds like an interesting day yesterday. Being stationed in Mayport, I did get to spend a lot of time visiting Savannah. A beautiful city. .

Ken D&J - Does not sound like good news on the Video editor. Are you going to be able to use it or can you return it and tell them where they can shove it?

IB Ken - Hope that you're feeling better today. Looking at the sign in the landslide photo, it had to be somewhere near Pittsburgh. A lot of clean up.

Greg - Sure would like to see the layout at Walthers some day.

Willie - Some more outstanding photos. That's some nice work.

The extension cables came for the W/S LED lighting and I got a couple of building lit. The station interior is lit now. I can't see putting any detail in there as of yet because the building is mostly hidden by trees.

20180503_171953.jpg

Got these buildings lit also.

20180503_172335.jpg

20180503_172357.jpg

I am going to try to light the market if I can figure out how to gen an LED inside it, The building actually has two floors, and is fixed to the base. I guess I could try to drill up from below the layout, very carefully. The lower level only would be lit.

Johnny - I do have the Broderick Crawford Highway Patrol car. I had set it out on the layout but with over a couple of hundred cars, couldn't remember where I put it. I would also like to put a light inside the dock area of the freight house, but with a floor installed, it may take some doing.

20180503_171106.jpg

I have been watching the Highway Patrol series on YouTube. Up to 102 out of 146.

Here's a rail photo for today.

train-tracks-to-mt--sm.jpg

Good morning ...

Toot ..... The fork lift video has a surprise ending....... I wonder why they could not have used juts one fork lift.

Sherrel ..... I recall seeing the GA railroad museum in Savannah several years ago. Savannah is a nice place to visit. ..... There is much to see in St. Augustine. We were there a year ago. Hopefully, the tour takes you to the winery, because they have very good wine. Some is in bottles shaped like the lighthouse. We wanted to bring it home but could not. We already had too much baggage for the airplane, and they are not allowed to mail it to Kentucky. ..... That's a funny sign at the fireworks business. That would be a good one for the train layout. ...

Willie .... I can tell you spend a lot of hours enjoying the hobby..... Those buildings are great.

(edit) ... Chet .... You posted while I was typing. .... I like your downtown photos.

Speaking of funny signs, I made a billboard to look like one that was next to I-65 south of Louisville for several years. It is for tattoo parlor.

]
36418414696_85f7e02a12_b.jpg

Good morning fellers. In terms of not pleasing everyone. I'm quick to let any driver know if I can or cannot fix their issues at that present time. I focus my efforts on safety issues as priority and work down from there. If a truck isn't safe to drive then I pull it off the road and repair it. Stupid repairs only if I'm not busy and I have the time to look at it. Anyways atleast today looks to be cloudy and will hopefully keep the heat down some. Of course today is Friday! Projects galore this weekend. I took my Bronco out of service a month ago and it's been sitting outside the whole time. Wasps have discovered it and have decided to invade my wheel wells. So wasp spray and a road trip should solve this issue and I'll give it residence in the garage. I haven't decided on what I want to start on first. I have a lot of work to do to it.

Afternoon All,

Wow, there are some stupid people out there, but we already know that. I just got back from picking up oldest grandson from school and he's doing homework now. MOH will pick up the youngest at karate later. The boys are staying overnight and Saturday but I think their Dad is off Sunday. I'm hoping that my wood order comes in tomorrow.

Garry- Great sign.

VA Ken- Very sorry to hear you were hosed by the company. I hope you get relief from the company.

Willie- I have driven that stretch several times and it's a killer:eek:. I have used the Bar Mills fencing a bunch of times and like it a lot. Great looking buildings. The downtown deco ones are really nice.

Ken- I hope you're feeling better.

Chet- Great lighting and layout scenes.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Referring to the tree felling video, I noticed the one doing the cutting, acknowledged at the end that he didn't have total confidence in his own abilities. Just goes to show what can happen after you let the kids plant the Christmas tree 30 years ago.

All I can say about the forklift one and the picture Chet posted, is neither place could have been Union shops. Couldn't imagine doing anything more that fits "Asking for it". Did anyone notice the scooter parked right where that equipment fell?

Anybody give me hints/instructions on how to seperate the cab of a Kato SD80MAC from the long hood. The exploded diagrams (PDF) say it can be. Haven't found anything on-line and eventually emailed Katousa via their feedback link (being the only one seemingly available to do so). They did answer very quickly, but couldn't advise, apart from the need to release the plastic headlight tube. (which I had worked out)

Finally the weekend! I have the daughter tapped for some ops tomorrow on the layout. Maybe start some scenery? Who knows.

Good evening.
Toot: The videos are amazing.

Wow, there are some stupid people out there,
Curt: They all can't be transplants from the NY Metro area, can they? :rolleyes:

Wasps have discovered it and have decided to invade my wheel wells.
Justin: Those critters find a way to move in and take over, don't they? :rolleyes:

Garry: That's one cool billboard.

Chet: 10-4 on the Broderick Crawford Highway Patrol car. Woodland Scenics is marketing cars with working headlights in O scale. I can just imagine your layout with that technology in HO. BTW: Like the doggie animation.

Willie: Great photos. The downtown deco buildings finish nicely. Reminds me of the block on Haven St. in East Baltimore, between Lombard and eastern on a summer evening.

Sherrel: Savannah is a great place to visit. The Georgia RR Museum is neat. I was most impressed with the former Central of Georgia passenger station and the adjacent Freight house, (now part of the art school), but the old Roundhouse and shop area was fun to walk through. Best visit, was when we stayed at a Hotel which overlooked the river, and River Street.

I spent the better part of the morning running errands, then finishing the prep for the veggie garden. Natasha has the Basil and rosemary planted along with several rows of lettuce. Waiting on the rest of the plants to arrive from Burpee.

On the railroad front, I ran the layout for a while this evening. I will try and regain some momentum over the weekend.

Toot - They also have the vehicles with working lights in HO scale but I am not about to start drilling holes in the streets that took so much work to get done.

Howdy ...

Curt, Joe, and Chet.... Thanks for commenting on my billboard ...

Today I installed decoders in my Proto 1000 Santa Fe FM Erie Builts.

27029343297_f189b981bf_b.jpg

40999912365_839840db51_b.jpg

35983868724_ddd9879476_m.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome photos, GARRY ... Showed them this morning to MOH and she said, "I would have liked to see that"! ... to which I replied, "Well, we could have except you could not wait to get to those gkids"! ... to which she said, "Well, you should have been more forceful"! ... to which I replied, "You have beat me into submission!" .. and the battle goes on .....! Then she says -- "Well, Next time!!!"
Packing up to head towards Destin, FL! In a hurry as MOH wants to see the Flagler College tour this morning -- gotta disconnect!
Having a great time - the doggies love being able to smell grass, trees, and romp in wooded areas!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back