Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning - It's somewhat cloudy - We are under an umbrella of trees so we have no Sat TV last evening nor this morning.
We spent the day yesterday stopping at the HUGE dog park complete with lake and all. Foxie coulld not resist staying out of the water and Charlie (little Bichon) got in just enough to touch his belly - barely. Then the Spousal Unit drove the RV right into downtown Charleston and, lo and behold, they have a parking garage next to the visitors center which accommodates RV's and we were able to leave the puppies in the shade while we strolled around.
You should see MBH winding thru the narrow streets with her Iphone in one hand and driving with the other - I'm REALlY impressed. So we covered a lot of ground and had a momster of a braised beef barbeque sandwich at "Sticky Fingers" and managed to urchase three bottles of their sauce + couple bottles of hot sauce. All in All - a very good day - even stopping by the dog park on the way back to the campground.
GARRY - I wandered part of the museum while wife wandered the Market place after out short tour by GrayLine.
I did get a chance to see the replica locomotive - sad the origional blew up! I read more all about it on this machine last night.

Today we will try and make St Augustine - then Destin, FL next day. Not getting to do much Railroading, but then again ... trip was primarily to see and visit kin. I'm behing on the photos too!
sneeds 05 (Large).jpg
sneeds 06 (Large).jpg

Has there been a newer Loksound Select user manual for diesel and steam since the 3rd edition, May 2012 avalable for download?

Good Morning All. Whew! 75° and 88% humidity with sporadic rain. Muggy to say the least. Had to run the A/C yesterday afternoon. The misty conditions yesterday morning quickly gave way to drier hotter weather, so I got the last of the yard mowed on this cycle. A day and a half of light rain is in the forecast, so I will resume the mowing cycle Sunday after things dry out a bit. This year is going to be mowed SE, then NE, NW, and finally the SW parts of the estate in rotation. Cleared out some more dead tree remnants but I did not visit the garden. Noted while mowing that it appears that the local snake population is waking up and moving out to the open. Watch out baby bunnies, birds and rodents! They (snakes) haven't eaten in a couple of months while in semi-hibernation. Forgoing the weekly grocery/beer trek this week, as I just don't need anything important. The beer cellar always has an 8-10 week supply in it, so there is no pressing need to go. Wife is leaving today for a four-day excursion to watch the grandsons while my daughter and SIL go out of town for a wedding.

Thanks for the many comments on the layout photos, Chet, Johnny, Curt, Garry, Joe, and any others that I may have missed. Here's today's shots.
First up are a couple of shots of Magees Tire Service. This is a "simple" Bar Mills laser-cut kit. Magee's is located on the outskirts of Charlottesville, just north of the bear scene posted the other day. In the second photo on the other side of the tracks is Federal Cold Storage that was in the bear scene picture. Please ignore the blurry backgrounds, I am using a new camera (to me), and I haven't learned all of the ropes yet.
04-29-18 012.JPG

04-29-18 013.JPG

Next up is some industries. First is a close up of Federal Cold Storage in Charlottesville. As I posted the other day, I used Walther's "Brook Hill Farm Dairy" for this structure. The boxcar is in the way, but this structure has a lighted interior and loading dock. As I have posted before, I have many industries that are located but not yet "panted" with accompanying scenery materials.
05-02-18 013.JPG

Lastly, back to the town of Vernon that I have been posting the "downtown" pictures of; on the outskirts of town, across the street from Murphy's Bar and two doors down from the auto body shop, is American Plastics, manufacturer of custom plastic extrusions and injection molded products. This is the complete Pikestuff kit of "Milton A Corporation" with some added details, piping, dumpster, some unseen outdoor storage tanks, crates and loading dock. There's an indoor unloading track in the back for rail service.
05-02-18 001.JPG

Out in the train shed yesterday, I resumed my scenery project in that lowly corner that I posted last week. I now have both sides of the dry creek done and have moved across the tracks to that small area. It's bounded by the main line, a track bumper on a switching lead, a road and the back fence of an auto repair shop. It will be more "woodsy" to provide cover for the homeless/hobo camp. Over on the workbench, I resumed painting figures. I need to wind that up so I can make more trees.

Chet - Like you, the only reason that I keep getting MR is for the layout pictures, and occasional kitbash articles. That and it's the only model RR related thing that my wife ever gives me!;)
Johnny - We have a guy that sells at all of the local train shows called "The Truck Man". He sells nothing but vehicles, mainly trucks, for reasonable prices. $5 -$10 range like you have seen. I usually go through his "close out" box and get some cheapo's (usually 1:100 scale) for $2, that I use in the backgrounds.
Curt - Interesting thing about the airbag replacement - my wife's car is an Accura RDX and they didn't have the right airbag for it, so they provided us with a free comparable SUV rental for seven weeks! Nice looking pictures there also.
Sherrel - So that was a premonition when Foxie got into my pond while here! Continued best wishes for safe travel.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Good morning everyone. 66 and cloudy. Rain moved through around midnight and ended a few hours later. Will check the rain gauge this evening. 80% chance of rain today, then a nice weekend - that will make 3 in a row!!!

Willie - Again, very nice photos. Magee's looks really good. I have the Brook Hill Farm Dairy building too, using it as the dairy distributorship. I remember it being a bear to paint all the windows and doors, and to get all the brickwork just right. Pretty satisfied with how it came out. Yours looks really good.
Sherrel - nice family photos. The beach and water look awfully inviting! May you have safe travels and lots of fun on the rest of your trip!

Got home last night and was just worn out - long day at work. Funny how sitting at a computer or a conference table all day can wear you out as much as a physically-demanding job. Anyway, went down to the train room, looked around, and said "I'm just too tired to do anything with the trains tonight." Turned the lights out and went back upstairs. I hate evenings like that - so much that I want to do with the layout, so little time to do ito_O

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning ...... Coffee and a donut, please.

Sherrel ....... Those are great family photos ... Who is having the most fun ? ... Humans or dogs ?... LOL ... I'm glad you saw the Best Friend of Charleston replica.....

For those not familiar with it, the Best Friend of Charleston was the first locomotive built in the USA It began operating in 1830. A year later, its boiler exploded, and some of its parts were salvaged to make another locomotive. (If I remember correctly)

41865603901_8b71f2b30e_z.jpg

Willie .... You posted more photos with more terrific buildings. Magee's tire service has a lot of character for a small building.

Cheers !

Last edited:
Good morning fellers. Hot already here. At work the drivers are complaining of lack of AC in their trucks. We run way older trucks where your AC is a small fan. Outside of that roll the window know and go 55 if possible. They complain to me because I work evenings and I'll look at it. Unfortunately if you have already talked to the shop foreman who works days and he shoots you down I have to do the same. He is my boss. Soooooo yeah can't help you. I typically will do all I can for our drivers if I can or able to. This word of mouth has gotten around and is starting to put me in a rough spot. Anyways moving on here. Ran some trains yesterday before work. Pretty decent operating session. Had a derail spotting cars in the yard from one of my more reliable 100T hoppers. Not often one of those derails if ever. And! The scammers called again this morning leaving the same voicemail as yesterday. I have a lawsuit against me from the IRS. Yeah sure I do. My inner Army veteran self is going to come out in a bad way.

Good morning. 41 degrees and the rock is still dry. Sunny with an expected high into the upper 60's.

Sure was quiet here last night, but with the warmer weather, I'm sure we all have better things to do.

Ken D&J - Sound like you went from winter to spring in a week, just like we did. Hope you can get the video editor up and running soon. Always enjoy your videos. Always liked Charleston. We were in dry dock there getting work done on the ship when I was in the Navy and really enjoyed that town. Know Saint Augustine pretty well as we were home ported in Mayport and did a lot of fishing at the St Augustine inlet. I think my buddy an I paid the mortgage on a bar right at the inlet. I can't believe how that area has been built up. Not what it used to be.

Sherrel - Looks like you are enjoying the trip so far. Nice photos.

Curt - Nice photos. Always like seeing photos of your layout.

Willie - Nice photos again. Keep them coming. Like the tire shop.

Justin - Funny you should mention scammers. Just got another call but the Hiya app block it. What a pain. It does sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place with the drivers. You can only do so much,

Did nothing with the train at all yesterday except maybe look at a couple of photos on the phone.

Here is a rail photo for today. Looking at the exit sign, this is in NW PA.

20140408dsMudslideLocal03.jpg

Later

Good Afternoon All,

No train room today. Just finished doing household chores and now I'm sitting on my butt. Still have not heard if I am picking the boys up after school tomorrow. The weekend will be spent watching the boys since MOH works both days.

Joe, Willie, Chet, and Garry for your kind words and anyone I might have missed.

Sherrel- Great family photos. We were stationed in Charleston 1980-1981. My wife grew up in the area but did not want to move back there after our military retirement, so we ended up in FL.

Willie- Nice looking buildings.

Johnny- I have the same scammers calling a couple of times a day so I put them on my phone Block List but the voicemails still get through. I don't answer what I don't recognize.

Chet- Interesting photo.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good Afternoon Everyone....over casted and more storms tonight.

When to the Walther's Showroom this morning and now I'm a few dollars poorer. Purchase junk stuff for my second junk yard. The bargain was a Woodland Scenics build up Corner emproium, a building with bar, pool and tobacko shop with LED lighting. A sign was broken off the building
so it was reduced from $79.00 to $43.00. Parts of the interior are detailed. Walther's has a bargain corner and sometimes some real deals.

They were running a B&O passenger set on the display layout in the Walther's Showroom. Like the City of LA its a long train.

Curt: You're correct WS plaster cloth is expensive. I only needed a small amount to finish my project.

Going to landscape the balance of my slide in land-form.

That's all for now.

Greg

##################

Greg - Plaster cloth can be bought at a lot of drug stores as it is used for casts. It's a lot less expensive there. There are a lot of items I have seen that can really rip off the model railroader. I have seen hycrocal sold in one pound sacks for around $10. I have bought 50 pound bags for $25. That was a while ago, they're up to $35 now.

I can imagine the the City of LA would be a long train. The Empire Builder that one of out club members has is a long train even for the club layout. It is impressive, but hard to find a yard or siding to park it on. I have seen photos of the emporium, sweet building, great buy.

Last edited:
Got the video editor. It's in it's shipping box behind me on the floor. I'll be working on that this evening after my walk. It should be a few hours to get the Windows 10 setup then download the video editing software and installing that. Not sure what kind of surprises to expect.

Done for the day....finished landscaping my slide in land form...a hill. Used Walther's GOO to secure the ground foam in most areas and planted several evergreen trees. Now its ready to slide into place next Wednesday night.

Speaking of cheaper products...I purchased tubes of contact cement in a Dollar Store for $1.00 a tube and it works almost as well as the GOO. I also found an adhesive at a craft store that stays somewhat flexible like WS Scenic's Accent Glue, but at half the price.

A friend should be coming over next Wednesday to help me reach areas that I can't get to and set buildings against the photographic background. Its amazing with just some buildings sitting near where they with be in a permanent setting, the theme is starting to take shape. This will be the first time anyone has helped on the layout.

Busy Monday and Tuesday. Monday I'm planning on ballasting and securing the ballast on a spur where we will be working Wednesday night. Tuesday clean up the layout room.

Chet: The Walther's layout is long and has a double mainline. Today the B&O and a Canadian freight were running. The B&O looked good with the broad curves and long straight track on the layout. I will take some photos and the next trip to Walther's. BTW Walther's Flyer arrived today with the City of LA on the cover.

Ken: We went from winter to spring in two weeks...two weeks ago it snowed and we needed to use the snow blower, but the last two days in the 80's and the leaves are coming out and the grass is green. The Mrs., who cuts the grass, started the lawn mower.

Sherrel: Nice trip and photos...any post cards for the Forum members? Just kidding.

Johnny: When I get scammer calls, I just set the phone down without disconnecting or if the person is live, talk to them in a language no one understands.

Miller Time....

Have a good weekend everyone.

Greg

################################

Here is what B&H Video of New York does. Ya talk to their tech support to describe what ya need. They tell ya they have just the machine to do the work. Ya ask additional questions to make sure all are talking about the same thing. Yep, they know all about it. Ya make the purchase. Product arrives and it doesn't meet what ya talked about. Their focus is to make the sale, even if they don't know what the customer is talking about. Even if they have to lie about it.
Am I P****d off. Yeah, $4,000 worth.

Good evening, 89° and clear. Summer weather has arrived at the Jersey Shore. Took the wife for some tests, then we stopped at HD, where I bought some vegetable garden soil to amend the raised garden beds. Still need some lawn fertilizer, and a new sprinkler or two. I'm dragging my butt, not used to hard work. One more day of the real hot weather, before it cools down again.

Found the container where my project passenger cars are stored. Everything looks good to go.

KenVA: Damn, sorry to hear that. can't blame ya for being pissed. What now?

Greg: Good to hear they are still featuring the B&O Capitol Limited. Reflects good taste. :rolleyes:

Chet: Cool NS Landslide cleanup photos.

Garry: Like the Best friend of Charleston photo. Reminds me of the John Bull on the Camden & Amboy.

Willie: Not for nothing, that tire shop is great. I do enjoy your layout photos.

Justin: You can't please everyone, so ya gotta please yourself. Your line should be "Yo, I just work here. The Boss said..." They're the same trucks they drove last summer, right? it was hot last year too.

Sherrel: Looks like your family is really enjoying your visit, the Missus sure looks happy, Even caught you smiling once.:rolleyes: Enjoy the rest of your vacation trip. Be safe!

Good evening. AC-and-JuneBugs weather here in my central MD neighborhood.

D&J Ken - WOW, sorry to hear that!o_O Any chance of your being able to recover at least part of your investment?

Willie - that country tire shop looks great, like the structures you posted the other day that I never got around to commenting on!

Sherrell - looks like everyone is having a great time, despite Murphy's attempts to spoil it! Hope the remainder of the journey is uneventful.

Greg-WI - sounds like you got an excellent deal on those built-ups! I bet the B&O train you saw on the showroom layout was their Capitol Limited, that would never fit on my garage-sized track plan!

Joe - looks like BENNY season is upon you!:p

Chet - I wonder if your photo is part of the PA landslide that caused US-30 to be closed indefinitely until they get the mess cleared away?

Haven't been feeling too well the past couple days. MOH finally persuaded me to visit the family doc yesterday, and he put me on an antibiotic. One of the side effects of that medicine is dizzyness, hopefully my body will get used to it over the next day or two.

Spent some time in the trainroom this evening testing my crossing signal detection setup. It occurred to me that if a train was parked on the steel mill track, it would interfere with the detection of a train on the mainline track. So I repositioned the receiver of the farthest-out pair of sensors between the two parallel tracks, figuring that now the mainline sensors wouldn't be blocked by the parked train...wrong! The sensor logic board is "smarter" than that, it thinks the mainline train is actually the steel mill train - and disables the output to the flasher when the in-between set of sensors is blocked (occupied). My solution will be to simply disconnect the middle pair of sensors, since trains on the steel mill lead track typically move at a crawl anyhow - they don't need as much advance warning.

Better get to bed now if I want to recover from my ailment, sorry if I missed anybody. G'nite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back