Running Bear's Coffee Shop May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
You had to bring up the stapler. Dang, that and scissors were forbidden in the office. You have no idea the pranks that can be done with either one.

Good evening.

I worked on one of the Eirie Built A units to solve the problem of losing power. As I suspected, it had loose connections because leads are connected to metal tabs and held in place with a plastic cap. The leads to the trucks were vulnerable because the trucks pivot causing the connectors to loosen . ... So I soldered the leads to the trucks. While doing that I soldered directly to the red and black wires of the decoder. That fixed the problem. .. next, I will do the same to the other A unit and to the B unit.

These engines have plenty of power, and the single A unit has no trouble pulling the six car Santa Fe passenger train.

I know some of you have remarked, and may even have bought models of the HO "60 class" AD 60 NSW Govt Garratt locomotives. I found this 2017 published black&white (dirty gray actually) video from film taken in 1968 of action on the Main North line between Sydney and the coal port of Newcastle, up the eastern side of New South Wales. I have tried to cut off the previous 9:20 of the video, but if it does go back to the start, then that is when the Garratts appear, along with another icon of that states loco's, the 38 class.

No it didn't work, but it gives you the map as a guide.

Good Morning All. 68° and partly cloudy as I get ready to head out to San Antonio TX. Having to bring my son's mother to him! At least I don't have to mow for three days!
Not a lot of action in the train shed yesterday, as I had to do the grocery trek in the morning and then gather stuff up and pack later on. I ran trains and watched paint dry.
Thanks for the comments regarding the pool hall (and tree), Chet, Garry, Bob, Curt and anyone else that I may have missed.
OK, time to pack the last stuff into the car. I'll check in if I have time. Everybody have a great day and an awesome weekend. Mine is shaping up to be that way.

Willie

They didn't get your red Swingline stapler did they?

(We'll see how many true geeks we have here...)
Jeesch, guys .... I still have a red one!

You folks are bringing tears of laughter to my eyes over Ken's retirement - dang funny!

Just when I think I have heard everything ... "tire balancing fluid" ... really works, huh?

Good morning everyone. 64 and sunny, hitting 86 this afternoon.

Had the day off work yesterday, and, as usual, overdid it - - these muscles that have been hibernating all winter don't want to wake up yet. Anyway, I planted three bushes in the landscaping that we're re-doing, burned a large pile of debris (fallen limbs mostly), mowed the entire 1.5 acres, and hauled wheelbarrow loads of topsoil around the yard to places where I'm re-seeding, over-seeding, filling in holes and low spots, etc. We're picking up our 20-month-old granddaughter this afternoon and she'll stay with us tonight and tomorrow, giving her mom (our daughter) a break. Daughter is recovering well from that appendectomy she had last Saturday, but she can't life anything heavy (like our granddaughter) for 2 weeks, so she deserves a break, and we deserve more granddaughter time!!:)

About the only thing that got done in the train room yesterday was to get a sign on the DPM building I finished last week - "Johnny's Printing" in honor of my dad, who was a printer and pressman all his life. Still have to put a smaller sign on the back and attach an overhang over the rear delivery doors. Will post a photo next week.

Willie - Nice looking pool hall. Have a safe trip to San Antonio.
Chet - Thanks. I responded to your PM. I have an idea for a mini-scene when the fire truck arrives. Will post a photo.
Toot - Enjoyable video of the steam operations. That mini train park is quite large, evidently. Looks like fun for the family. I notice kids are riding in their parent's laps - here in the US there would be regulations requiring them to be in their own seat, have a seat belt on, and I'll bet they'd have to wear helmets, too, since it's an open train:rolleyes: So many stupid regs in this country that take all the fun out of stuff. Thanks for posting.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning fellers. Did some digging this morning. I felt as though I may have too many C&O hoppers. Just regular C&O before Chessie paint hoppers as I should say. Well I suppose my initial thoughts were wrong as I stumbled upon a video that confirms I'm in the right side of things with my hopper fleet as is. I'll leave a video for you guys. I hope you enjoy.

Good morning. Started the day off at 44 degrees and my rock is wet. It will probably stay wet today with scattered showers all day and a high only into the 50's.

Toot - Like the videos. Thanks for posting them.

Justin - Nice video. Think the EPA would be unhappy with that second unit.

Garry - A quick easy fix for the locomotives.

Johnny - A little wet to do any outdoor work for me this weekend with rain in the forecast for the next couple of days. I also have to plant a few bushed and reseed an area where we cut down a tree right at the front of the house. Got all of the weeds killed where the grass seed will go in, and a few minutes work will have the area ready to go, but not in the rain.

Maybe I'll be able to visit the train room this weekend and run some trains.

Finished plans for our road trip at the end on the month. We're headed to Syracuse, NY for a national bowling tournament. It end up that driving will still be cheaper than flying. Even with gas and hotel rooms, it costs less than flying out of one small airport into another and paying the extra charges for hauling our bowling equipment.

Here's a rail photo for today.

ebd477053b686cb70297943ad2a8a66c.jpg

Later

Good morning.

Just checking in. I’m in a waiting room while my wife has a routine medical appointment .

Sherrel .. Glad your trip is going well .

Willie .. I hope your short trip is a good one. ..

Johnny .. the Nrandon trip is coming up. Only a week away. Looking forward to meeting you.

Chet ... Speaking of trips ... we might have a western trip late in the summer and it might include Yellowstone. I think that is close to you. Very uncertain now .

Ken D&J ... Best wishes as you retire . Looking forward to seeing great model railroading from you.

Happy model railroading, everybody.

Garry - We are close to Yellowstone, about an hour north of West Yellowstone. Let's see how things play out. We are heading down to Reno for the nationals sometime in late summer. We haven't put in for our exact dates yet.

Last edited:
Afternoon All,

Spent several hours in the train room today. I extended the parking lot on the right side including W/S Asphalt and ground cover. After lunch I cut out the exterior walls and 3 inside brace walls. Found out no grandkids this weekend and I'm taking Mom out to supper on Saturday for Mothers Day. I think it will be a Mexican place she likes. I received the detail parts from Builders in Scale today for the office portion of the build.

Toot- Interesting Videos. The Garratt's are strange looking loco's at least to my American eyes. I believe they were used in Africa also.

Johnny- Have a good time with your granddaughter, before you know it she will be a teenager!

Willie- Safe travels.

VA Ken- Congratulations on finally making it to retirement. Now everyday is Saturday.

Justin- Nice C&O video and your workhorse loco. My workhorses are a pair of GP7's.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back