Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
COFFEE-did someone say COFFEE ?? That was no nap. That was a second deep sleep.
I'll just ditto everything GARRY said and add my admiration to his additions.

Hope SHERRELS home isn't SLIP SLIDING AWAY.
Phil

Willie - the problem is the unexpected dentist trip and the meds ate the money budgeted for the show. My wife is a stay at home mom so we only have one income and it doesn't go quite as far as I like it too.

Jesse

Afternoon All,

Currently 75 and breezy here, so I'm in shorts again. Spent several hours today between spray painting and assembling the interior of the build. I looked at the directions and I still have 2 full pages of directions (roof and eaves)! Although I lived in HI for many years I never acquired a taste for Kona Coffee. To me they all pretty much taste the same. My only requirement is that it's fresh.

Chet- Very nice pictures on your Logan Valley thread. Congrats on your F unit acquisitions.

Jesse- Don't get discouraged, that kind of crap happens to us all.

VA Ken- The module is going to look great.

Joe- Thank you. I haven't started the interlocking machine. I still have probably 3 more days on the current project, then I have a art project for my daughter's birthday and after that I will do it.

Toot- 117 has to be miserable dry or humid.

Justin- The OTC version of that and several NSAID pain killers are normally 200 mg so you can do 800 mg if you want to.

Johnny- Happy Birthday.

View attachment 64912

View attachment 64913

I hope everyone has a good night.
I know. And I don't. If I did I'd have given up years ago. About 75% or my lifelong stress has been caused by a vehicle in one form or another.

Jesse

I brung a bag of KONA beans...here ya go Francine, brew THAT for the crew! mmmm good.

Back down to frozen here in the swamp.

It's that WEE "kick out" at the tips of the flex that were driving me batty. THEN I remembered that ya DON'T have to beat yer head against the wall ALL the time, and went with sectional. I know it's "doable" but I ain't do it! LOL

BLASPHEMY! You can't go to a train show and leave with empty hands and a full wallet...it's in the bylaws...somewhere...

Happy Rolling!
You are correct. I was determined to go and find a bargain on something for the layout. Now that I can't, looking at all the stuff I couldn't buy now would just be a kick in the teeth. And it finally quit hurting so I don't need that either. I'll try to catch the next one. In the meantime I'll go to the local rail museum for the Lancaster and Chester shortline in 2 weeks and see if they have their trains running now. Haven't been in a while and the last time there was a power issue.

Jesse

Good morning. We're just at 32 degrees, Sure beats the single digit temps we've had lately, but there is some precipitation in the forecast.

Johnny - View attachment 64901 This is unusual fro MB Klein, but I am guessing that it has to do with the holidays. I have only seen a delay like this once. Usually have my goodies within a week of placing an order.

Ken - D&J - Off to a good start. That is about the only use of foam that I can understand. It makes a great base for scenery, but using it for a base for an entire layout just baffles me. Waiting to see the progress.

Joe - I did like the article on the commuter rail. I really enjoy the different facets of passenger service, but unfortunately for my, I model the wrong part of the country.

Louis is probably still waiting to have his internet put in.

Garry - The weather wasn't bad at all on the trip to Missoula and back, just crappy roads to put up with. The cold weather never allowed the road to bear off. They did have road crews working oin the inteerstate on the way out and for the most part were clear going home but the sloppy spray was a pain in the butt. Went through a gallon of windshield washer fluid going only one way.

It is nice to see new faces that have come to the coffee shop lately all, welcome to the best forum on the internet.

I had a suprise in the mail yesterday. I had totally forgot that I put in a starting bid of $35 on a Northern Pacific F-7a and a B unit. Won it but was so busy with the tournament, I had totally forgot about it.

View attachment 64902 View attachment 64903

It was needless to say used and a fairly good attempt at detailing, but I never saw an NP F unit with a snow plow pilot. It is an older Atlas unit with the Kato drive. The B unit is a dummy. Runs exceptionally smooth, just like my early Atlas RS units. It was advertised as a weathered unit. It just popped up on my phone one afternoon so I only put in the starting bid. I have no idea of what I am going to do with it as I recently custom painted what I needed for my version of the North Coast Limited. Guess I could pull my tourist train with it. I am really running out of room for train storage on the layout.

I have some more photos of the next town on the layout that I guess I could add to my Logan Valley post.

Here's a rail picture for today.

View attachment 64904

Later
Nice looking F units.

Jesse

The temps were in the 40s this afternoon so I was able to do some more work on the transport case for the modules.
Did some carving on the foam on the module. Nothing really recognizable if I posted a picture.

0109181932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know. And I don't. If I did I'd have given up years ago. About 75% or my lifelong stress has been caused by a vehicle in one form or another.

Jesse

Vehicles are easy Jesse, women on the other hand, are treacherous. Of course my Daddy used to say, " if it's got t**s or tires, it's gonna be a problem". It's all in how you fix em.

Vehicles are easy Jesse, women on the other hand, are treacherous. Of course my Daddy used to say, " if it's got t**s or tires, it's gonna be a problem". It's all in how you fix em.
Ain't that the truth. Lol

Jesse

Good evening, 25°, with scattered ice patches. 42° felt real good today.

Curt: the elbows are perfect. Nice work on the pump house.

Chet: I went back and read the article again, each time I do, I pick up on something I missed before. Actually, your Logan Valley does offer RDC service, right? And you have a very nice passenger terminal at the edge of town, right? I know that the article and project is based on NJT operations out of Hoboken, to Gladstone, on the old DL&W / EL. That's a part of the world, I'm not all that well versed on that territory, myself, but the North Jersey Coast Line, operation is similar, and I did actually run freight on the Coast Line. My layout, on the other hand, is based on the operation of the Reading and the Pennsylvania along the densely urbanized industrial area, Southwest of Philadelphia. The PRR main line, between Philadelphia and Washington, was at most one mile to the North of my prototype, and offered dense commuter and intercity passenger service, so my interest was freight only. The plausible premise for my including an operation, such as described in the article, is that had the NEC not existed, or if it was further to the North, and if the 95 year lease of a connecting carrier not prohibited it, this route would have provided commuter and reverse commuter service between Philadelphia and the Delaware Line. I still have about one third of my planned layout to build, so I can work something in and create interesting operating and modeling opportunities I didn't initially plan for.

CHET- They are selling tickets for the 60 year running of "THE DAYTONA" on FEB.!8. Have you gotten yours ?

Past my bedtime but I did sleep this afternoon.
Prayers for all, Goodnight
Phil

The Walthers American MOW crane arrived yesterday (a day just past the max ETA) and as I'm going to have to take the cab off to repaint into MRL, that's going to necessitate taking off all the rigging and re-rgging it when finished (Oh Joy). The only literature that came with it was 1 page with only a partial diagram, so, I went looking.

Eventually landed up on this site http://hoseeker.org/lit.html. An amazing site with diagrams and other info going way back. What I've copied should take you to the index page. If this is old news then you'll have to excuse a relative newbie.

Good late evening, Track Gang.
Say Francine, Flo, it's cold outside, some hot Coffee along with an Hot Apple Fritter with Cinnamon and Honey!

47°F Coarsegold, Quartz Mountain Station Report. (This area is East of me by about 2 miles as the crow flys)
7:43 PM PST on January 9, 2018 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 41°F
47°F - Feels like 46°F & Cloudy;
Winds is from the SE at 0.0 mph Gusts 1 mph;
Humidity is 97%;
Tomorrow is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as today.

My father passed away today in 1989. If he were alive he'd be 106. He lived in Fairhaven, Mass not far from the Sea Coast, and only about a mile from the Old Whaling Sea Port of New Bedford. I'm reminded by one of his sayings, 'It was a great place to be From'! When I was back their handling his sisters estate in December, I can remember seeing hugh clumps of frozen sea water along the shore line!

From a Railroad standpoint, I'm also remind that a couple of friends we met here in Calif, Sam and Carrol Small, also from Mass., Sam was an excellent carpenter working only with a hand saw. He used to work building Flat Cars, I think he did the deck work etc. I'm not sure which company he worked for() but Carter Brothers comes to mind but I'm not even sure if that's who it was?

For the last couple of day it rained on the light side but steady. I measured the first of the rain was .25"s, the second one today was .78"s. The total so far is 3.22 and there was a slight bit more after I took the measurement.

Karl: LoL, How true. I'm sure that t**s, stands for 'toes', right? LoL

Good evening, 25°, with scattered ice patches. 42° felt real good today.

I still have about one third of my planned layout to build, so I can work something in and create interesting operating and modeling opportunities I didn't initially plan for.

Joe: That's the fun part, adding things you hadn't planned on, especially to give yourself more operation and variety of equipment to shuffle around. Those little folks got to earn their ticket fairs somewhere. LoL

Curt: Nice Pump House build along with two huge pumps!

Say Sherrel: You keep Eying the Mexican Babes in front of your wife your liable to wind up with a couple of Brused Chonies! And the healing process is quite painful I'm told! Word to the wise.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the week.

Say Ray: Take a few pictures so you can see how they were strung.

Good morning y'all. It's 49° this morning and going to be 56° today. Actually broke into the 60s yesterday. But that's nothing to get excited about here. Winter in the Carolinas is like that. Arctic temps one week, warmer the next. We'll probably be in shorts soon. Then we'll get a foot of snow. Lol. Everyone have a great and safe day.

And Flo, coffee and donuts please.

Jesse

Morn'in All...

Eric...I was sniff'in around your www again and went and took a look at 'WIX'...Would you say your www was easy to build ?
And if you don't mind...About how much $$$ per month is it to maintain your site ?...Which plan do you use ? Nosey ehhh...:)

I took a little trip on a 'Time Machine' last night...Zephyr Style...Coffee 1st...Then a short explanation...Trig

Good morning. 15° at sunrise, going to 40. Not supposed to go below freezing for the next three days, while it rains. So now, with the melting snow and all the predicted rain, we have flooding, eh?

Good morning fellers. I took some naproxen that I have on hand. It worked really well. Don't hurt today which is good. I don't know how I ever survived basic training. Let's me know how many years it's been since I felt such muscle pain.

Justin

Eric...I was sniff'in around your www again and went and took a look at 'WIX'...Would you say your www was easy to build ?
And if you don't mind...About how much $$$ per month is it to maintain your site ?...Which plan do you use ? Nosey ehhh...

Trigster - I can't answer for Eric but I use Wix for my web page and I find it pretty easy to use. I use the free version so it has some limitations but you can still do quite a bit with it.

You can check it out in the link below.

Good morning everyone. 42 and cloudy but clearing and will hit 60 today. Bottom drops out this weekend and they're saying possible snow on MLK Day.

Had a nice day yesterday - my department gave me a party after lunch with ice cream cake and coffee. they decorated my office and the break room with Stryper decor (since I'm a Stryper fan). My wife gave me a new guitar stand (my old one broke) and a book of my favorite cartoon of all time, Calvin & Hobbes. Says something else is coming from Amazon but didn't get here in time, so we'll see. A great day.

BTW, MBKlein is still "processing" my order - that's five full days since I placed the order. I may give them a call today to see if I can build a fire! Nothing special to report from the train room.

Have a good day everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back