Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a few guys over for an op session today. Things ran great. Not to big a crowd so it was easy to move around.

1230171652.jpg

Good evening, 11° and clear. I know this because I just came in from clearing the sidewalk, driveway and apron, plus clearing the truck. Overall, there was around 3" of fluffy white powder, instead of the usual heavy wet stuff.

Curt: No picture yet, I got the idea to weather the simulated wooden platform, so once that's done, I will post photos.

Ken, certainly an operators layout. What do you use for communication, or does each operator run to a timetable but also by signals too? Would be a lot of fun.

Atlas shells are easy peasy to strip! A 97% alcohol soak will strip it after an overnight soak, and disassembly wont kill it. Remember, one of your old GP38's is now wearing Midland paint!:D

Karl - Are you sure it was ME who sold you that Midland unit:confused: Anywho, I did finally get the shell off, no thanks to Atlas! Their online instruction sheet is out-of-date, this later production run is totally different from the way they describe - 4 tabs instead of 6, impossible to see from under the chassis! First thing I did was to rip out those steam-era crew figures...

Your work with B&O painted shells are amazing and I think you can pull this off no problem. I have an Athearn GP40 shell I want to do up in C&O blue and gold. ...
Thanks for the kind words Justin! The GP7 was much easier because it was originally a single color; this GP40 requires a lot more work to get it ready for repainting because of the contrasting shades. I was hoping to finish it before Tuesday, doesn't look like that's gonna happen now...

Ken- Are you doing the solid blue scheme or the split color scheme? ...

Curt, It'll be the dark blue w/yellow ("gold") trim scheme. My modeling era ends at early fall of 1972 - right before the first Chessie units appeared on the scene.

Good late evening all,

Hi Francine, Flo, Well the New Year is getting close. How about some coffee and a Apple Fritter. Great, thanks.

47 Wells rd Station Report:
10:29 PM PST on December 30, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 41°F
47°F - Feels like 47°F, Cool and Fair skys;
Wind is from the NE at .5 mph;
Humidity is at 82%;
Tomorrow is forecast to be Warmer than today.

Good morning. 26*F with alternating periods of sunshine and flurries in central MD. Perfect weather for staying indoors and doing mrr activities.

My newly-acquired GP40 is gonna be an absolute bear to paint into B&O, because of its alternating light gray and black colors accented by thick yellow stripes:
s-l300.jpg

Since the model is RTR, I'll need to partially dissassemble it to get it adequately prepped for repainting. I always worry that I'm going to break something when I try to remove the shell.

keN: Nice looking GP40, I happened to see them listed on the distributor site.

Colder n a well diggers backside! We EARNIN this next summer right NOW boi...WOO, the HAWK is OUT!

No layout activity round here for a while and then some. Maybe come spring...STILL getting random attacks of INTENSE nerve pain in the chest every couple of days.

Hope Santa was good to all a y'all, hunker down with a hot beverage and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Say Bruce: Sorry to hear all that your going trough. Lets pray the New Year brings a lot of relief for you!

Currently 50 degrees in Central Florida...Brrrr.

Say Curt: Sounds like your about to Freeze 50°F. It's about the same temp up at my place but with a lot of moisture too pretty darn chilly!

Good Morning! Starting off at 34* = only supposed to reach 77* today = 10 degrees cooler than yesterday.
Hooray - no commute for VA KEN today!
Hope you are able to stiffle the headache, TERRY

Busy day today -- may be AWOL until tomorrow!

Good luck with the cold everyone. I feel for you, but this too shall pass!

Sherrel: Hope your day didn't turn out to be too busy?

Karl - Are you sure it was ME who sold you that Midland unit:confused: Anywho, I did finally get the shell off, no thanks to Atlas! Their online instruction sheet is out-of-date, this later production run is totally different from the way they describe - 4 tabs instead of 6, impossible to see from under the chassis! First thing I did was to rip out those steam-era crew figures...

Thanks for the kind words Justin! The GP7 was much easier because it was originally a single color; this GP40 requires a lot more work to get it ready for repainting because of the contrasting shades. I was hoping to finish it before Tuesday, doesn't look like that's gonna happen now...

Curt, It'll be the dark blue w/yellow ("gold") trim scheme. My modeling era ends at early fall of 1972 - right before the first Chessie units appeared on the scene.

Say keN: I'm sure it will look great.

Hope all have a good Sunday

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Evening,

Got all the Christmas decorations put away for another year. I worked on the kit getting the wall trim glued on, glued the wall bracing on and painted the interior walls a Tamiya flat black. Nothing worth a picture at this point.

I received my quarterly PRRT&HS journal today and that reminded me to pay my yearly dues to the historical society.

Joe- Thanks for the update on Louis. Do you have a picture of your station?

Jesse- Your layout will seem bigger being N scale.

Willie- Nice layout town.

Ken- Are you doing the solid blue scheme or the split color scheme?

Justin- Smart staying inside.

I hope everyone has a good night.
It will. As long as I can avoid cramming too much into it. Lol. I've been wanting to build for so long now that exercising patience and restraint when placing my structures will be my biggest problem.

Jesse

Ken, certainly an operators layout. What do you use for communication, or does each operator run to a timetable but also by signals too? Would be a lot of fun.

Right now, the communications is just a yell across the room or walk up and tap the guy on the shoulder.
I start the op session with just running trains so the operators get the feel of the railroad and know where the industries are and how to access them.
After about an hour, I start handing out the assignments. I have trains made up in the yard ready to shove onto the departure track along with the way bills. As model railroading is about a compressed world, the operators will have a 20 car train or so to haul around but only about 4 or 5 deliveries. The rest of the train is assumed to have been delivered and picked up already. A typical 5 delivery train will take an hour or so to go out and come back to the yard. Any cars with Way Bills in the delivery tracks are to be picked up and delivered to the destination indicated, usually the division yard.
The activity in the yard is to keep the departure track ready with the next train to go out and to clear the arrival track of trains coming in. When I get enough cars back into the division yard, I'll put together a train to go off division (staging yard). That is just a straight shot down the hill to the staging tracks for storage where I'll have another train ready with Way Bills to come into the division.
I used to have about 6 of the Radio Shack 5 channel family headset radios, but they have disappeared over the years.

Karl - Are you sure it was ME who sold you that Midland unit Anywho, I did finally get the shell off, no thanks to Atlas! Their online instruction sheet is out-of-date, this later production run is totally different from the way they describe - 4 tabs instead of 6, impossible to see from under the chassis! First thing I did was to rip out those steam-era crew figures...

KenMD: What I like the most about your models is that they're the era I lie the most. I thought I would interject some useless information, about steam era crew figures though. Railroaders dressed in the traditional "railroad" clothing, until sometime in the mid 70's when golf clothes became fashionable. For instance, I never wore a hat of any type, and detested situations where I had to wear a hard hat. I also adopted the man in black concept, with black T Shirts, and Jeans. Don't ask why, I also worked mostly at night. There were, however, younger fellows who opted for the traditional denim with bib overalls and the proverbial railroad hat, through the 90's. There were also fellows who wore business suits to work on a regular basis.

While I'm here, it's currently sunny and 13°. An chilly day to end 2017. So Happy Sunday, and Happy New Year's Eve.

Good Morning All. 24° and cloudy. The "Big Chill" is beginning here. Weather Underground is going crazy, it says that today will be much warmer than yesterday. Well yesterday it was 44° and we have already had the high of 28° that is forecast for today. Weather Bureau has issued a "Winter Weather Advisory until noon Monday, primarily for wind but there's a chance of freezing drizzle. Precipitation has been staying across the Oklahoma border so far, 25-30 miles north. I can already hear the wind howling outside. Made a large pot of chili yesterday to tide us over the next couple of days. Wife made some excellent cornbread to go along with it. Question? Is it just me or are green onions overrated?
Out in the train shed yesterday, I tried out my new workbench a bit more. Hmmmh! Going to make it a bit larger as soon as I purchase some additional plywood. That trip to Home Depot is already scheduled for around 1-10-18. It's currently 27" x 16", largest scrap that I had on hand. The actual plan calls for 34" x 16". Mostly ran some trains yesterday. Probably won't visit again for a couple of days, despite having heaters out there; with outside temps in the teens and 20mph+ winds, the temperature in there stays about 50°. That's tolerable but requires long sleeves which I prefer not to wear around the layout. Envision "SNAG". Been there, done that, still have the floor model! Need a bigger heater.

Justin - Your picture makes me shiver. I hope that the road owner stays on top of things for you.
Ken (D&J) - Good to hear that the operating session went well. That bearded gentleman resembles me before I trimmed about half of it off last week (beard, not belly). But I did lose 1 lb as a result!!!:rolleyes:
Bruce - Dang, have you been to see a doctor yet? It seems like that's too long for shingles to still be having an effect on you.

I won't be on the roads tonight, haven't been in over 30 years. Too many crazy people out there. Yes I know that I used to be one of them, but I got smarter as I added years. Everybody have a great day and a Happy and Safe New Years Eve. See everybody next year! Well maybe briefly later today after church.

Willie

Resolution? What's that?

Good Morning All;

Here's what we have to look forward to this week. I don't think too many people will be out revelling tonight.

Untitled.jpg

Glad tidings for New Year's Eve to all! TOOT - Let me wish you a "Happy New Year 2018" as You are already one hour into it!
46* heading towards 73* for a high today - Blimey, you guys back there are getting hit pretty hard! We sure could use some of that moisture around here. I haven't been keeping up with the fire news - have no idea if that big one is under control - better see what news there is on it.

Son-in-law drove me up to Apple Valley to get the RV yesterday. Managed to get the problem fixed on the (as Terry calls it) "Nocold" fridge. After fussing around with blowing out the gas line and other attempts - a new gas valve was ordered and installed. Mech drove it up the mountain where it stayed lit, shut it down, re-lit it several times. "Nocold" told him the same thing that they had told me, namely "we cannot guarantee it working above 5500 feet. Mech said his and friends all work up as high as 9000+ so with the new gas valve - now mine will as well. Now I have to try and figure out how to work the extended warranty and try to get some money back for the repair work. Also had SAT Direct TV installed - so WE ARE GOOD TO GO!

Son-in-law has 11 friends from the Atlanta area coming out to go to the Georgia/ Oklahoma Rose Bowl game and he is going to "tailgate" with the RV leaving here at 2 AM to get there and set up about daylight. He has an extra ticket and asked me if I wanted to go ... I said, "Michael, 10 years ago a team of horses couldn't stop me, but now, I just don't think I could hold up to it!" (Besides, I have a better seat in front of the TV - lol).

Good afternoon all. Anyone know what the lunch special is today? It's cold out and a warm meal sounds pretty good. Especially one someone else cooks and cleans up after.

Been doing some thinking, is there anyway to run a double mainline in a 2 foot wide layout? I know I should expand it for clearance and operating ease, but I already have the plywood and would hate to buy more if I don't need it.

Jesse

Good afternoon all. Anyone know what the lunch special is today? It's sold out and a warm meal sounds pretty good. Especially one someone else cooks and cleans up after.

Been doing some thinking, is there anyway to run a double mainline in a 2 foot wide layout? I know I should expand it for clearance and operating ease, but I already have the plywood and would hate to buy more if I don't need it.

Jesse
Absolutely in ho or n scale. N scale you could do way more trackage.

Justin

Absolutely in ho or n scale. N scale you could do way more trackage.

Justin
N Scale is what I'm using. I already have 11.25" radius curves, and they go out to the edges of the board. I don't know of any smaller curves that are available in my current track selection. That's why I'm thinking about expanding. My current equipment is a GP40 and 40' cars, but I don't want to be limited to only that size.

Jesse

GARY P - I just noticed the "wind chill factor" on your weather report!
HOLY ICING BATMAN ...that's some kinda cold!

JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH LOUIS - He sends his wishes to all for a happy, prosperous New Year.

N Scale is what I'm using. I already have 11.25" radius curves, and they go out to the edges of the board. I don't know of any smaller curves that are available in my current track selection. That's why I'm thinking about expanding. My current equipment is a GP40 and 40' cars, but I don't want to be limited to only that size.

Jesse
If you could expand the ends to 30", you'd be able to use14" radius (flextrack) curves on the outer curve, and 11.25" on the inner. With 24" wide layout, you could do double track, but the inner curve would have to be 9.75" radius.

If you could expand the ends to 30", you'd be able to use14" radius (flextrack) curves on the outer curve, and 11.25" on the inner. With 24" wide layout, you could do double track, but the inner curve would have to be 9.75" radius.
And that's where one of the snags comes in. I'm using EZ Track since that's what came with the set and I don't want to wait another year to start so I can replace all of the track. I know I can get the 14" in EZ, but it's going to take a while. I have plans to eventually switch to more conventional track on future plans/add on, but right now I'm limited. I know traditional track is cheaper by the piece, but then when you add road bed and ballast it kind of evens out.

I've been trying to figure out how to expand the layout, but since I don't have a dedicated space I can use, I've got to be able to make something that is portable, durable, AND fits under the bed. Having no space to support my addiction is really putting a damper on the enjoyment of it.

Jesse

And that's where one of the snags comes in. I'm using EZ Track since that's what came with the set and I don't want to wait another year to start so I can replace all of the track. I know I can get the 14" in EZ, but it's going to take a while. I have plans to eventually switch to more conventional track on future plans/add on, but right now I'm limited. I know traditional track is cheaper by the piece, but then when you add road bed and ballast it kind of evens out.

I've been trying to figure out how to expand the layout, but since I don't have a dedicated space I can use, I've got to be able to make something that is portable, durable, AND fits under the bed. Having no space to support my addiction is really putting a damper on the enjoyment of it.

Jesse

Jesse - Include the crossover turnouts when you make the initial build (presumably inner track w/11.25" curves) and add the second track (14") later. Then you don't have to rip anything up. It does mean that you have to go with a 30" wide board though, as I don't see any smaller radius EZ track available.

Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back