Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Trig got me looking back at my layout build photos. I can't believe how much time I've invested in this build. I have a couple years in on it. Makes me not want to tear it down but find a way to make it work. I've been giving some thought to keeping it alive.

Justin

Weigh your optrions.
How much time do you have in it compared to how much frustration you are having compared to how much time to repair said frustrations.
Only you can answer those.
My situation is so messed up right now, I'm considering selling off everything.
Other than flying drones, I don't know what other hobby I could have.
My little buddy down the street with whom I used to play catch is apparently no longer there.
Of course I don't know that I should be out throwing ball anyway.
E

Good morning. I think someone left the door open to Canada. Started off at +9 degrees. By mid week we are expecting night time temps in the negative. Spent a lot of time yesterday plowing snow. Had about 15 inches accumulated which was about the limit for the little tractor. Did get the driveway cleared out but another few inches came down. Will be heading back out to plow what little fell. Nover got down to the train room.

Were having some visitors later today and might get to visit the train room as they enjoy seeing the trains run.

Later

Morning All! I will have an apple fritter with a cup of black coffee. In a hurry this morning so I won't tarry too long.
It is 41* here at the moment - going up to 71* for a high they say. The winds are back - 10-15 mph here which means that they possibilily will be much higher up where the fires are. Nephew and family are still away from their home up near Santa Barbara - they have no idea when they will be permitted to return, or if they will have anything to return too!
Just a quick side note: Two days ago when we had pretty high winds here, the winds were clocked at 65 MPH at Mt. Palomar which is just south of us and 66 MPH at Ontario airport about 45 miles north of us.

TRIG - You have totally lost me with your post? Notice Willie's question mark as well? There is a limit on the size of photo's when posting. Many of us had to get links to downsize our photos. I'm not sure what the limit is, but I do know that I have had no problem with 1/2 MB or smaller? I'll try and find the link later today if you need it.

DAVE A.K.A. Truckman - Welcome to the zoo! Glad to see another joining the circus, even if you were sneeking around. - lol
We have a pretty goo group here - enjoy and have fun ... that's what model RRing's supposed to be.

Happy Sunday All. over and out!
Thanks Sherrel...But I always downsize my images...The one that wouldn't go up this morning was 233kb...And the post from yesterday wasn't an image it was link to a vid ???
It just seems very hit and miss...At the very start I could post here (Image 3 days ago was 265kb) and other threads...Then the 1st time I noticed the little message that said...
Something to the effect of..."The content of your post will be visible after moderation"...Was in my introduction post when I tried to reply to 'You' & 'keN'...In all honesty I didn't
get that a bit...And other than being a minor irritant it doesn't really matter...Right after this goes up I'll try and put that same image up again...Well See...???...Trig

EDIT:
3031a.jpg...There's the same file from this morning...233kb ???

I'll still be interested if the other 3 posts ever appear...The post the I made in the Intro Thread finally did...???

Last edited by a moderator:
Trig... that "post will be visible" message is not uncommon among message boards. I think it's meant more as a deterrent.
Don't worry about it. I wouldn't.
E

Trig... that "post will be visible" message is not uncommon among message boards. I think it's meant more as a deterrent.
Don't worry about it. I wouldn't.
E
Yes It Is...And I'm not a Fan Of The Dreaded Trolls myself...I did find it interesting on 2 of those 3 occasions there were less than 20 members actually on-line...
I'm just a little curious as to the consistency and if those other post are ever going to appear...If not it certainly won't stop the world from turning...But all things
being equal I guess I'd rather not just see them disappear into ether...Trig

Good Morning Everyone:

Chet: Looks like a White Christmas for you this year. Maybe Sherrel would like to share some of your snowfall?

Speaking of EBay, the caboose I ordered was posted in error and is no longer available, the vendor said they would credit my charge card.

Waiting for the Packer game and then down to the bar/sports room to finish dusting and cleaning for X-mas guests. Found at a local hardware store the the odd fluorescent lamps needed or the recessed light fixture above the the back bar. These lamps are no longer manufactured. Hard to reach to replace the lamps, but on the list for after the game is finished.

Hopefully, tomorrow finish cleaning up in the layout room. Some track cleaning and run the two trains (locomotives) that will be used to show my guests when they come X-mas eve. Maybe keep a train in a siding and run three trains???

Brother in Law's funeral arrangements are completed. My wife is more relaxed now that everything is done.

Stay safe everyone.

Greg

Trig - Most of the time I have no trouble posting, but occasionally right in the middle? of a reply - I will lose it all - it just vanishes.
Sometimes it is saved - then again it is not - frustrating when it is a long post with pic!
Willie says that at around a certain time in the morning that the site goes down on him for a while. I think maybe I have had that at various times, but I chalk it up (blame) the service provider? No clue, but I am sort of dumb about electronics anyway.
In my world everything has an on/off switch -and if it does not work - turn the switch off - call a mechanic - and go flirt with the girls.

GREG- Thank You for thinking of us down here in the dry country! Believe it or not - we actually had about 5 inches of snow right about this time three years ago! Sure was pretty to stay inside and look at.
People all around went NUTS sledding down any hill side they could get to the top using anything they could find even cardboard!

BTW how are the Packers doing? I have not watched any pro football from the first game of the season when they started the kneeling BS. Cannot believe they are paying Donothing Goodell the kind of money that he is receiving - and for what?

Well I do believe it's official. The layout will have to come down. All attempts to save it have failed. All that has happened is much worse than when I started.

Justin

Afternoon All,

Never got on the computer yesterday. Did some chores this morning. After that I spent about 90 minutes refurbishing a Tichy steel water tank (100K version). I installed a new ladder and cage, painted the concrete footers (aged concrete) and put cinders down on the flat base, and finally re-weathered the tank with black powder. I've had the tank about 3 years.

When I went to my VA doc the other day she said she wanted a Liver Ultrasound. Yesterday I get a call from the VA for a appointment on Dec. 27th. Wow that was quick! I was expecting Feb or March.

Thursday I'm driving up to see Jon and Phil.

Trig- Cool looking 0-8-0. The other day you posted a picture of a transformer. Can that control 3 locos at one time?

CA Dave- I believe they are Walthers. Happy belated birthday.

Justin- I am very sorry to hear your news. Great video.

Truckman- Welcome to the forum.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good afternoon. Got the driveway plowed and had a sandwich and will head down to the train room and run some trains before our guests arrive.

20171217_111638.jpg 20171217_111645.jpg

Sherrel
- You can have all the snow you want. Got plenty to spare. With the temps they are talking about, we will have a white Christmas.

Trig - Not too long ago, the photo size was reduced for posting. Some of the photos that I have posted before are now rejected. I just picked up a new phone and it took me while to adjust the photo size for an acceptable photo to be posted.

Justin - I guess it's final. I know how much it can hurt to tear out a layout. At least you are staying in the same scale. Back in the 70's I was in N scale, mainly because I had built a small layout that could be slid under a bed when were still living in Florida. When we moved back to Montana, I expanded the N scale and ended up with over 11 scale miles of main line. Unfortunately in the 70's, the majority of the locomotives were crap compared to what is now available in N scale. Tore everything out and started all over in a different scale. You do know where your problems are with your current layout and you seem to now know how to improve things in your next layout.

Time to go run some trains.

Later.

Sigh...thank goodness my layout is only a 4x8. This is back breaking on top of heart breaking. I think I may as well get ready to buy more track. Mostly turnouts. I've lost a few. One thing I can say is....I at least build my mountain right! It came off in one piece. I'm pulling my track up right now. I swear I have a million track nails holding my track in place. Anyways I'm looking forward to having a fresh canvas to work with even though the tear down is killing me.
43af79c824627cde32934cfc6df316ce.jpg
28e09cae1fb9ea6d8ae361efd358fd1d.jpg

Justin

Justin ..... I have torn down previous layouts, and it was sad each time. The last time, it was my 1900 era layout, and it was very difficult emotionally as well as physically. ... It was several years before i started my current layout mostly because of moving. My benchwork is designed so I can move the layout if necessary. Also, I built one section at a time so I could operate early and have some scenery too. ... I found some pictures to post in a day or two to show you my suggestion of what you might want to include in the next layout. (I'm too busy today to scan and post.)

Eric ... The other day, you mentioned a power outage. I just saw in the news the entire Atlanta airport is without power which badly screws up airline schedules.

Chet .... Your photo looks cold. .... So far, we have had no snow here this season, but weather guessers expect it in a few days.

Everybody .... Happy Model Railroading !

Eric ... The other day, you mentioned a power outage. I just saw in the news the entire Atlanta airport is without power which badly screws up airline schedules.

The power outage I mentioned the other day was due to snow fall.
The stuff that happened today at the airport is unknown. To bad I don't travel anymore. Would have made for a good adventure.
Or should I say "another adventure".

I do intend to add an element to the next build. If I can find my book that is. I think I'm more bummed out that I won't be able to run my trains. I will most likely have to slowly buy track. I'm leaving sectional track as those freaking joiners is what was giving me fits! All the work I put in earlier today was all for nothing. Things just got worse. So now I'm going to have to figure out what I'm going to plan next. The theme will be the same. Almost my entire fleet is coal Hoppers and with two loadouts. So coal will be my staple.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back