Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Evening gents!

I had to laugh when I was reading the "debate" about DC -vs- DCC, mainly because the DC users will read the following account and say "See, I told ya!" I spent most of this evening trying to create a roster entry for my new GP7 in DecoderPro. It took me much longer than it should have, because it had been nearly a year since the last time I programmed any Tsunamies and had forgotten a few things. I found the entry for my type of decoder easily enough, but I overlooked a few steps when I "wrote" some of the changes to the decoder - and that led to the loco being totally unresponsive except for the lights.

After much trial and error, I noticed that the DecoderPro DCC address for my roster entry #6406 was "3". And when I went into the panel to correct it, that setting was disabled - WTF:confused: I ended up nuking that roster entry and re-creating it. Apparently, the first time I changed the setting for the default direction to "reverse" (i.e. long hood forward), that also automatically reverted some of the other CV29 settings to their original defaults - including the bit that determines which DCC address [long or short] is the active one. So on the second go-round, I carefully examined these auto-defaulted CV29 values and changed them back wherever necessary - and voila, problem solved! Now I have the Bachmann GP7 speed-matched with 2 of my Genesis GP9's, and their 567 prime mover sounds are harmonizing quite nicely together!:cool:

DCC certainly is a PITA at times like this, but I gotta have it if I want to keep hosting group op sessions on my layout.

'Evening gents!

I had to laugh when I was reading the "debate" about DC -vs- DCC, mainly because the DC users will read the following account and say "See, I told ya!" I spent most of this evening trying to create a roster entry for my new GP7 in DecoderPro. It took me much longer than it should have, because it had been nearly a year since the last time I programmed any Tsunamies and had forgotten a few things. I found the entry for my type of decoder easily enough, but I overlooked a few steps when I "wrote" some of the changes to the decoder - and that led to the loco being totally unresponsive except for the lights.

After much trial and error, I noticed that the DecoderPro DCC address for my roster entry #6406 was "3". And when I went into the panel to correct it, that setting was disabled - WTF:confused: I ended up nuking that roster entry and re-creating it. Apparently, the first time I changed the setting for the default direction to "reverse" (i.e. long hood forward), that also automatically reverted some of the other CV29 settings to their original defaults - including the bit that determines which DCC address [long or short] is the active one. So on the second go-round, I carefully examined these auto-defaulted CV29 values and changed them back wherever necessary - and voila, problem solved! Now I have the Bachmann GP7 speed-matched with 2 of my Genesis GP9's, and their 567 prime mover sounds are harmonizing quite nicely together!:cool:

DCC certainly is a PITA at times like this, but I gotta have it if I want to keep hosting group op sessions on my layout.
Lol no I told ya so from me. I wish programming was my only concern. I can't run my trains right now.

Justin

Hell fire.... I'd love to be able to eat like a human.
That's not likely to happen unfortunately.

Good Morning Everyone. 34° and partly cloudy, however the winds have shifted out of the South, so it will warm up quickly. Weather Bureau did add rain to the forecast for after dark tonight...90% possibility. I would love to have it although I won't be awake to see or hear it. Blissful silence when in bed without my hearing aids! I ran out of yardwork to do yesterday and I can't go further in the garden until it either rains or I set up the sprinkler again. Black clay soil is not forgiving when dry, hard as concrete. Tiller bounces right off. UPS is really busy right now. Our regular guy is currently delivering in an undercover vehicle, his own pick up truck. Says it's a new thing with them and he gets paid extra. He also says that he can complete his route quicker (gets the same pay as normal) because he doesn't have their GPS spying on him. Doesn't have to return to the loading facility to turn their truck in either.
So I went to the train shed and measured (2nd or 3rd time) for my soon-to-be built workbench and went outside to cut some of it. Actually partially assembled some of it before deciding on a minor modification. It won't require any disassembly of what I already did. I stopped for a while and added some more details and signs to a structure, botching one of the decals which fortunately I had a duplicate sheet for. 25 year old decal sheets don't hold up well no matter how carefully they are stored. As usual, I got sidetracked and ran a couple of switching runs, on the upper deck this time. Lower deck customers just weren't ready yet. Made a wholesale swap of cars at two different grain elevators on one run, and switched eight industries in two towns on the other run.
I know that it isn't a DC vs DCC thing, but I am sticking with DC. It is simple and foolproof. I am a lone operator who mainly does switching and I can't pay attention to two trains anyway; even though I actually have two controllers and could run two if I desired. I also don't wish to add decoders to 80+ locos, many of which were made long before "DCC Ready" was standard. I don't like sound, I would rather listen to music from my IPod docking station. Now if I was just starting or restarting and didn't have all of the DC equipped stuff, I do think that I might go for it.

Greg - Condolences on the passing of your BIL.
Sherrel - USPS on Sunday? It actually happens here around this time of year, but they're really subcontracting with UPS using USPS vehicles/drivers. It's the only time of year that we actually see USPS vehicles in our neighborhood!
Trig - Ah! Terry beat me to the punch. He stays up later than I do!!!:eek:
David - Happy Birthday'
birthday-cake_1f382.png

Regarding the figures; I have already painted nearly 1000 of them, along with several packages of Atlas and (maybe) Tyco ones over the years. I also gained over 100 painted ones in an estate sale many years ago and have purchased 250+ Woodland Scenics and Walther's ones over the years. So I already have many to choose from in the stash. Yes I do have quite a few still left to paint, but I keep a tray of about 30 of them by the workbench and every time that I paint something else, vehicle, structure, railcar, etc; I pick up and add whatever color that I am painting to a couple of the figures. I end up completing 4-6 a week this way, unless I just concentrate on painting them (usually once a month) and finish 25-30 at a sitting, most just requiring finishing touches.
Eric - Didn't the feeding tubes come out with the trach removal??? If not, how much longer? I sure hope that you don't have to return to Sullivan for that.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Willie

Het Toot - it looks like we will be taking 18 of your 35 year old Austrailian F-18's off your hands and adding them to our 35 year old fleet of CF-18's, all because Boeing is slapping close to 300% in tarriffs on aircraft made here in Canada by Bombardier that don't even compete with them. Plus the fact that each of our successive governments doesn't want to spend the money on new aircraft.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/defence-procurement-1.4446941

God I love politics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning ...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yesterday was the third anniversary of Jeffrey's death. The "Franken-Diesels" are missed for sure. (I should have mentioned it yesterday. )

I recall talking with his Dad to get information about which hospital Jeff was in.

Running Bear .... I continue to be thankful for your friendship. Rest in peace.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

David (CA) .... Happy birthday. ... I hope the CA wildfires are far from you.

Ken (MD) ...I read your conversation about installing DCC in the GP7 ... Are you having fun yet ? ... LOL ... Actually, my opinion is advantages of using DCC outweigh the negatives. However, I still have plenty of locomotives not yet converted to DCC,

Sherrel .... Are you still contemplating long distance travel plans for 2018? I think you said you may go this far, and of course you would be welcome (as are any of the Coffee Shop Patrons.

Everybody ....Have a nice Saturday

Well I think this week has bested me. I just got word that my wife has had a miscarriage. She felt something was off. Went to the ER and there is no pulse. I don't even know how to feel....

Justin

Good morning ...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Yesterday was the third anniversary of Jeffrey's death. The "Franken-Diesels" are missed for sure. (I should have mentioned it yesterday. )

I recall talking with his Dad to get information about which hospital Jeff was in.

Running Bear .... I continue to be thankful for your friendship. Rest in peace.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

David (CA) .... Happy birthday. ... I hope the CA wildfires are far from you.

Ken (MD) ...I read your conversation about installing DCC in the GP7 ... Are you having fun yet ? ... LOL ... Actually, my opinion is advantages of using DCC outweigh the negatives. However, I still have plenty of locomotives not yet converted to DCC,

Sherrel .... Are you still contemplating long distance travel plans for 2018? I think you said you may go this far, and of course you would be welcome (as are any of the Coffee Shop Patrons.

Everybody ....Have a nice Saturday

Thanks for posting this. I remember Jeffery from when I was active here before around 2008-2010. I haven't seen anything about him since I became active here again and was wondering what happened to him. I have missed his posts, and him.

WOW - many things to reply too!

TRIG - Several beat me to the whistle? I still have a couple "wooden train whistles". I used to shove the throttles up on the plane and key the PA system and toot the whistle on take off.

TERRY - You have the most interesting weather around there! Very Interesting.

DAVID - Happy Birthday to you - hope you did something interesting?

VA, KEN - Sounds as if you had a good day with the kids. I still can visualize the "Cotton Belt" FT's - an ABBA set struggling up the hill in either direction with about 100 cars in tow. They made a lot of noise!

MD, Ken - LOL, You have reinforced my intent to stay away from DCC ... for the time being anyway.

GARRY - No real set plans as of now. Just be advised that you are definitely on the list. Have family in TX, LA, and AR ... you are not entirely too far away + I would like the Spousal Unit to see the part of the world where you are .. and surrounding area.

JUSTIN - I have to goback and see your veido. If you start with new benchwork - consider using 3/4" ply cut in 3-1/2" strips for the benchwork. You will not be ever troubled with humidity nor warpage at all.

Weather here has really changed -- winds have switched to "onshore flow" and the temp today is only expected to reach 65 for a high.
Should help the firefighters gain more control over the THOMAS FIRE up neat Santa Barbara. Fire is still only 40% contained (whatever that is?).

JUSTIN - Great Video! The era I favor too! Sure am sorry to hear about your wife. Spend the day with her totally - she needs that at this time.

I meant to comment on Running Bear A.K.A. JEFFREY as well. I miss his photos and comments. He had a hard time near the end!

Eric - Didn't the feeding tubes come out with the trach removal??? If not, how much longer? I sure hope that you don't have to return to Sullivan for that.

Still have the tube. I can't swallow. it's called dysphaghia. The tumor did that.
It may be permanent or require reconstruction surgery.

Good morning. 31 degrees with snow coming down.

Justin - I am really sorry to hear about your wife. Hope she is alright. The video I really enjoyed. I grew up in the transition era, but living where we did in Montana, there were only 2 railroads in the area. Really liked the numerous paint schemes on the early diesels. The only time I got to see some of these is when we took rail trip to Chicago and then into northern Indiana. Thanks for the post.

Joe - I totally agree with you when it come back to the DC, DCC controversy. As I had mentioned numerous times, for my home layout DCC is really not needed, but when operating at the club in Livingston, there is no way we could have the action we have without it. Nice to have a half dozen or more trains running at the same time, having meets, having to pull into passing sidings to let another train pass. It is a real hoot. I really enjoyed operating on my friends layout in Missouri with as many as 20 trains operating on his empire under the control of dispatchers. Again, not possible without DCC. I have nothing against DCC and like it, but just not for my home layout.

Trig - Thanks for posting the photo. I haven't seen equipment like that for years. I have a 5 chime diesel horn that was given to me by the maintenance supervisor at the yard in Livingston, MT when it was a BN facility. It works, but I will never again put air to it indoors.

David - 548.gif

Ken in MD - Glad you got the programming solved. It sounds like Greek to me. CV this and CV that. ?????????

Eric -
I really hope you can get some reconstructive surgery done so you can eat like normal folks. It would most likely help your speech also.

Garry
- Thanks for the post about Jeffereys passing. Three years, how time flies.

We have been getting nickeld and dimed with snow off and on for the past week and now have over a foot accumulated in the driveway. Our little doxies with their short legs are getting high centered unless they are in a tire track. Guess its time to crank up the tractor and clear some snow.

So much for getting any train projects done today. Think I'll pass on going top the club tonight also. Don't want to mess with the slick road over the pass.

Later

Good afternoon gang!
Been quietly lurking , keeping life on track and keeping an eye on y'all.
David Happy Birthday!

KenL Shame on you forgetting how to DCC! I oughta come over and confiscate your throttles until you re-read the manuals! ;)

Justin The best thing you can be is supportive and understanding for your wife right now. The 1st wife and I lost 3 out of her 6 pregnancies.....its tough....be her rock.

Eric Can you puree a steak, so you can have the taste?

Got to replace the garage door springs tomorrow. I'll be watching the Youtube videos tonight:rolleyes:

L8ter gang!

I wandered into the coffee shop about 3 weeks ago and have been sitting at the counter, down at the end, just listening and slowly learning. Still clearing out a space in the shop for the train room and should start framing in a few days. Room will be 10'x12', probably an around the wall layout with a peninsula and hinged gate at the doorway. I will be asking a few questions of ya'll. One thing I wanted to say was thanks to Justin for the video. Very enjoyable and what caught my attention immediately was the lack of graffiti on the boxcars and the open (unprotected) racks for the new cars! Days gone by for sure............ Glad I found this coffee shop.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back