Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon,

Spent 2 hours doing stuff outside this morning, at least with a breeze. Today in the train room I laid out the light panel for the build. I want disconnects on both ends, the back for the incoming power and the front for a exterior light. I figure it gives me more flexibility if I need to move the building for some reason. The LED's (4) will hang below the white sheet and everything else will be on top. I test fit the roof and everything fits properly. I'm going up to Jon's (with Phil) and he is going to solder the components since he has a 35W soldering iron and I don't. THe smoke stacks I ordered came in today so I put them together and painted them a grimy black (Tamiya German Gray).

Willie/Chet/Greg/Joe/Garry- Thank you. Sorry if I missed anyone.

Garry- Beautiful scene.

VA Ken- Sorry to hear the news on your grand daughter.

Willie- Nice scene with the houses and scenery. Enjoy your vacation.

Greg- Great rail photo;).

Justin-Nice scene with the building. I guess you're a better modeler than I am. I never could get my AM kit to fit together properly.

20171003_125219.jpg

20171003_132152.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Louis - You did do the right thing by leeping your pie hole closed. Now we don't have to send you a cake with a file in it. View attachment 63310

I'd do my time. I would not want to involve you guys in my misdeed. Now I'm thinking of the theme to the old show Berretta

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HNWhVXcjV8

Louis: $10 was a deal. Around here they charge for room and board in the Steel Bar Hotel and I'm sure its more than $10/day.

I'm some what less than content with the outcome, but I learned my lesson long ago; never argue the law with a judge, unless you are a lawyer. "yes your honor, thank you your honor"

It's been one of those days.
I'm currently sitting on the freeway, where nobody has moved since 5:15...

I just arrived home after sitting in one place for over an hour, before crawling home at about 15mph...
The good news is, no new dents in the truck!

Terry try not to let the dents bother you. They would come sooner or later. I'm glad you are home.

I'm some what less than content with the outcome, but I learned my lesson long ago; never argue the law with a judge, unless you are a lawyer. "yes your honor, thank you your honor"

Respect where respect is deserved. Lawyer/s for the other side don't deserve any.

It's been one of those days.
I'm currently sitting on the freeway, where nobody has moved since 5:15...

Switch off your motor, at least then it won't cost you a cent. Just think of it as being given "free" time, to plan all the things you could be doing once it is taken away from you.

Seems to me judges only respect lawyers, at least from my experience.

"A Jury consists of 12 people chosen to decide who has the better lawyer." - Robert Frost

Yeah, I'm back again...... Didn't bother for a couple weeks while all I got was the Red Warning Screen. Nothin' new to report except that I have been busier than a Cat covering Poop on a marble floor.... Way too many dealines comming up quickly. Darn good thing I'm Retired... :confused::rolleyes:

Good afternoon fellow Tie Placers, Rail Benders and Spike Drivers,

Good afternoon Flo & Francine, I'd like some coffee and a Bear Claw sure sounds good for a change. No kidding, Sherrel got so hungry waiting for you two ladies to get here that he ate them all?? Well, he is a growing boy! Alright, I have an apple Fritter then. Oh Great, he forgot to get any. Well how about a pan cake with cinnamon and honey then. Thanks

71° | 46°
It's 63° F - Feels like 62.8°;
It's Fair outside with winds at 4.9 mph from the South, with Gusts 7.4 mph;
Today is forecast to be Cooler than yesterday.

QUOTE=PRR Modeler;458881]Good Afternoon,

Spent 2 hours doing stuff outside this morning, at least with a breeze. Today in the train room I laid out the light panel for the build. I want disconnects on both ends, the back for the incoming power and the front for a exterior light. I figure it gives me more flexibility if I need to move the building for some reason. The LED's (4) will hang below the white sheet and everything else will be on top. I test fit the roof and everything fits properly. I'm going up to Jon's (with Phil) and he is going to solder the components since he has a 35W soldering iron and I don't. THe smoke stacks I ordered came in today so I put them together and painted them a grimy black (Tamiya German Gray).

View attachment 63313

View attachment 63314

I hope everyone has a good night.[/QUOTE]

Say Curt: Your doing a nice job scratch building the engine house and I would think you might want to show the interior off, after adding a few barrels tool chests and repair men etc. So the only thing about attaching your lighting the way your doing it is that it will hide the interior of the engine house when the roof is removed unless it will come up with the roof? Of course that would require other contacts be put in place when the roof is put back. Would it help to add a few center supports beams? Little flared shades hanging down under the overhead beams with a little blub sure would look
great! I realize it's not an easy task to get them installed.

Well as promised earlier. I completed the depot. I'll have to remove some scenery to make a permanent home for it but it looks nice. At least to me anyways.
362acf5472192ac9b64897f2f18630b0.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171003
Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

[B]Say Justin:[/B] The little wayside freight house looks good, all you need now is a few barrels and crates on the dock and a worker to make the scene come alive.

I like the way you did the hillside behind the freight house, it looks very natural!

[quote="Sirfoldalot, post: 418715"]GoodMorning Everyone ... guess I will o[en the doors today, start the coffee going, and put out the donuts, bear claws, and cinnamon rolls. I need to order more apple fritters next time. Well - lookie there! I think I beat Francine and Flo here this morning? Woke up at 2 AM my time for some strange reason - watched another chapter in the PBS showing of the Vietnam quagmire ... politicians are famous for getting a war started and then don't have the guts to finish it!

My prayer for the day is that everyone has a meaningful and productive day, and as my father used to say: "Keep looking up'.[/QUOTE]

[B]Say Sherrel:[/B] What, no apple fritters? And I was depending on you too! Well 2:00 Am is quite early.

[quote="santafewillie, post: 418717"]Good Morning All. 76° and mostly cloudy to start the day. Got up to 92° yesterday afternoon, high but not all that unusual for early October. Finally got that darn cover on the pool yesterday, been waiting three days for the wind to die down. After that I did some more cutting on the dead tree situation out front. I am now at five to go from an original nineteen that died two years ago. They've all been overgrown by new trees that both disguise the fact that they're dead and make it more difficult to remove them. Getting in the mode of vacation preparation. We're heading for Gulf Shores AL for a few days. Meeting up with nine other folks for a few days on the beach. Those nine are renting a four bedroom house on the beach, while we are staying at a really nice condo that we have used before. The problem with those houses (we could have joined in and gotten a bigger one) is the stairs. My wife doesn't deal with stairs well.
Out in the train shed, I began to make a swing set with some Evergreen rods. At the same time, I added more ground foam to some blank areas. Today I hope to resume work on the chain link fence that has been on hold for a bit. I am also contemplating "little people" that I might add to the recent scene. Here's an updated front and rear view of the progress of one house.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]63308[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]63309[/ATTACH]
I am using a new camera here to get used to it, as my twelve year old camera is beginning to malfunction. That brown area in the second picture is where I resumed ground foam later in the day. Still need to add trees and people.

Hey! Everybody have a great day.

Willie[/QUOTE]

[B]Say Willie:[/B] From your prior post about your tractor, I didn't realize that Craftsman had a 27 Hp model but I'll have to admit I hadn't kept up with the more recent models either to any great extent. I had noticed that some of the new tractors even came with a 54" wide mowing deck though. I'm sure your glad you bought the larger size tractor like I am as I don't think a smaller tractors would have had the more robust transmission that mine has being a 6 speed manual transmission. I'm fairly sure that your transmission is also much heavier duty than smaller models.

I'll mention this in case you or others aren't familiar?
In using the new camera, be sure to white balance it for the lighting your using to take the various scenes with. If your not familiar with that and the camera has a setting for doing that. Set up a sheet of bright white paper in front of the houses and get close enough so the lens is meter off just the white paper to take the exposure from. You then can set that exposure as the guide line for the camera to go by when taking other shots under the same or similar lighting conditions. That should improve your your picture quality between the light and dark areas.

Continued >

Switch off your motor, at least then it won't cost you a cent. Just think of it as being given "free" time, to plan all the things you could be doing once it is taken away from you.
Yes, I did that. The truck has its own built-in wifi station, so I was able to check and replay to email, post on this and other forums, and catch up on some reading.

< Resumed
Say Ken: I also hope that your grand daughter stays safe, sometimes it takes them awhile to realize her parents aren't so dumb after all. Lets hope she is with a good friend.

Good morning everyone. 70 and cloudy/misty here with a 40% chance of rain today. I'll have one of those bearclaws with my coffee, thanks.

In the train room I made progress on some landscaping and ran trains for a while :) At the modeling workbench I did some painting and added decals to my Main Street Mercantile kit build. I was keeping a photo journal of this layout build but I've forgotten to take any photos in a while. I'll try to post some this week.

Have a good day everyone.

Say Johnnie: I'll bet that the Main Street Mercantile looks real nice. How about posting a picture of it.

Good morning fellers. I hope everyone is doing well. Figured I'd check in real quick this morning. Started painting my depot last night. Hopefully can get it built before work. As small as it is it shouldn't take too long to build. Just can't rush it. I'll post pics as I make progress. It's unfortunate it's not my actual C&O depot but it'll work for now and that's all that matters.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Say Chessie: Taking your time in building your kits makes all the difference in the world as to how they turn out. Some of the kits require a lot of pre-fiting to ensure everything goes together well.

Good morning....

I'll have coffee and a cinnamon roll, please. What ?!... Sherrell ate all of the cinnamon rolls !? .... and the bear claws too....... Dang.... I'll have toast, please. :p

Say Garry: And don't forget he completely for the Apple Fritters and then what does he do but eat them all too boot! I just don't know about that guy! LoL

Good morning. It looks like mother nature is trying to remind us that winter is on the way. Woke up to a couple of inches of snow and 27 degrees but it is suposed to get up into the 60's in a few days. Sherrel, shame on you eating all of the cinnamon rolls. Guess I'll just have a bagel with my coffee.

Here's my rail photo for the day. As long as we have snow here, I figured that I could share.

View attachment 63311

Later

Say Chet: It seems that winter is sure there already or maybe just knocking at the door. So your rail pic if quite appropriate.

Nice it was nice last night and we kept the windows open. Most of the night I could heard the CP and CN running on their mainlines, even though the tracks for the CN are a mile and half away and the CP at least two miles.

Beats listening to the crickets.

Greg

That's neat that you can hear them that far off. I Can remember when I lived in Fresno I was only about a mile or a bit more from the SP yard and I could hear them from time to time when an engineer would couple at too high a speed to a box
car you could the bellowing of the metal sides of the box car reacting to the impact and some were quite loud too!

I did that once too when my friend let me operate the switch engine to couple up to a couple of cars. The first one went smoothly, but the second one was the loudest crash I've heard. I think the switch man may have put a small rock in front of the front wheel on the Right side to play a trick on me. It required an extra push on the throttle and I was already too close so when the engine lurched forward I couldn't get it stopped fast enough and, KABOOM!! I'm sure it was heard all over the yard and else where too LoL They probably had a freight damage sale from that one!

Hope everyone has a good day and night.

Good evening. 50° with a bright moon. [I noticed the moon when I took out the recycles].

A few short comments. Justin, Curt, Willie and Greg - Nice modeling. Like your photos.

Garry and Chet: Not defending HH or his hedge fund buddies, but the cost cutting sure looks familiar. Railroading tends to repeat itself. David Bevan, CFO of the PRR and PC until Bankruptcy, ran his own hedge fund back in the '60s. They were called investment clubs, back then. Only needed $16k to buy in back then, now entry fee is generally $500k or more to buy in. Difference back then was Bevan used PC operating revenue to buy stocks his "club" had invested in, to inflate the stock price. Now, they buy into the company, and hire a slash and burn artist to get the stock price up, then cash out. Either way, the Railroad loses.

Ray and Louis: Remember Judges and Lawyers belong to the same Union. The rest of us, don't :rolleyes:.

David: Sound carries very far at night. Can hear the local coming down the Southern, for quite a distance on Thursdays. Sound also carries on cloudy days. When the big guns are firing at the Joint Base, some 36 miles away from here, you can hear them and feel the impacts especially during overcast conditions.

Don't know where today went, but I cleaned up my To Do file. Speaking of the Military, there's a lot of Air Force activity with the C17s tonight. Can't miss those babies, especially when they make low passes.

Have a good evening.

Yes, I did that. The truck has its own built-in wifi station, so I was able to check and replay to email, post on this and other forums, and catch up on some reading.

See...all you blokes who don't want all this modren tekeroligy in your vehicles (me included), there are advantages. When they all become driverless, you'll be able to nap as well. Or they might just leave you behind as excess baggage.

Evening all,

Good evening. 50° with a bright moon. [I noticed the moon when I took out the recycles].

A few short comments. Justin, Curt, Willie and Greg - Nice modeling. Like your photos.

David: Sound carries very far at night. Can hear the local coming down the Southern, for quite a distance on Thursdays. Sound also carries on cloudy days. When the big guns are firing at the Joint Base, some 36 miles away from here, you can hear them and feel the impacts especially during overcast conditions.

Don't know where today went, but I cleaned up my To Do file. Speaking of the Military, there's a lot of Air Force activity with the C17s tonight. Can't miss those babies, especially when they make low passes.

Have a good evening.

Hi Joe: Apologies for not including your name in my prior post, I meant to as I've always enjoyed your recounts of various happenings during your RR work, very interesting indeed, or as your working on your railroad. Your writing ability is just fine as far as I'm concerned. Heck it your style, what else is it supposed to be?

It's very true that sounds carries more at night, especially if it's cold crisp air. I often remember hearing when the coupling became a bit aggressive and produced a similar sound to what I unintentionally made. Btw, my engineer buddy told me I'd better high-tail-it for the parking area and get out of there before management found out what happened, as he said he was sure someone would be out checking on what the hell happened! So off I went. I sure would like to get together with my old friend Mark as I knew him.

To hear the sound of the big guns 36 miles away is one thing but to also feel the concussion, Holly Christ, just think what it must have been like closer?! I guess on over cast days/nights it's really something!

Thanks for replying to what I mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter got a call from the county sheriff last night that they were transporting a girl that fit my grand daughters description to the hospital with seizures. It was my grand daughter. She was high on some kind of drug, wandering around a neighborhood late last night. She was knocking on someone's back door when she went into a seizure. She had several more seizures throughout the night at the hospital. They moved her to a juvenile lockdown facility sometime during the night.
Child protective services here is nothing more than an extension of a dirty police force. My daughter has been begging them for help in controlling this child and it always ends up with her being returned to the home and the cycle continues. They smirk up their sleeves at situations like this and hope the parents miss a step so they can swoop in and get charges on them.

Morning Everyone:Even though it's early out here, I did not make it in time to the "sweet shop"! Goodness - they are out of everything this morning, but never fear - I stopped at Wally World about two miles down the road and picked up several packages of their day old goodies. Even got some lemon sugar cookies - huge ones about as large as my hand and a nice looking apple pie.
Where's Flo? Ask her to make a fresh pot of coffee. I could use a fresh cup after all this running around!

Have no idea why I am up this early - yesterday I went back to bed and slept another 1.5 hrs after having two cups of java?
Maybe I will do the same this morning.

Didn't do a lot yesterday other than vacuum upstairs, downstairs, and the stairs themselves - then dusted all the shutters. My four legged child is sheding her summer coat and installing a new winter one thereby generating a pile of fur the likes of which has not been seen. Even if I take her outand brush like crazy - it still is just un-believable.

Sorry to hear about the dents, Terry. Just hope that the right door is not sprung? Can't help you on the traffic! We have our own problems - lol.

Curt = looking good on the build. Hope you are able to make it work as you wish.

Ray - good to see you back!

Been web searching for "stuff" to start on the F-3's I talked myself into buying. So many questions: Do I want 18 or 24 grabs? What about lift rings? Cut bars? Where do I get the "funny" shapped grabs on the curveature of the nose?
Is there a kit that includes all this "stuff"? What couplers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back