Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXV

76° and pleasant. Should be this way through Wednesday.

South Street PHL 1962.jpg

MP54 Eye candy from 1962, Army - Navy day

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening, everybody.

Eric .... I like that pegboard / lazy Susan thingee ... Could be a time saver for the work table.

Joe ..... That is a great photo of MP54 1962 "eye candy". I noticed several Canadian boxcars in the fore ground, and I wonder if there was a company that received newsprint there.

Sherrel ... I'm glad you like red white and gray too... Of course, the Frisco and the Burlington are fallen flags now in BNSF.

I post the following joke in the other forum. Not sure why I think it is funny, but bear with me. .... A lion would not drink and drive, but a tiger wood. .... ;) .... Oh never mind.

Good evening Gents,

Not a whole lot going on here today, just a regular w*rk day.

Eric Love the lazy S&%@* thing, looks like a real space saver. (sorry, I can't call it by name,that's the EX's name) :rolleyes:

I post the following joke in the other forum. Not sure why I think it is funny, but bear with me. .... A lion would not drink and drive, but a tiger wood. .... ;) .... Oh never mind.

I laughed! Its funny!;)

Speaking of red/white engines.............20170626_203946.jpg

picked this one up cheap at the auction last week. It's a Kato SD40, and it runs like a Swiss watch. One of 2 Kato's I got last week (the other is CSX, bound for the paint shop) I've always been a fan of the Fireball or Speed Lettering schemes, but this one is starting to grow on me. Rivet counters might notice the uneven black paint. Don't fret, I'll fix that!

I'm on the fence about 1 loco I got. It needed some repairs which I did have the perfect "donor" engine in my boneyard. It's a Mehano Pacific, and while it runs ok, it is a noisey as an Athearn diesel. I know I can fix that by remotoring it with a Canon motor(easy swap) but as poorly detailed as it is (also incorrectly numbered) is it even worth it?? Or ebay it?

20170626_204049.jpg

Thoughts?

Curt I feel your pain. Comcast dropped a big smelly stinker here the other day, we lost internet for about 4 hours, but the TV never faltered. :p

Sherrell, Willie
, dry heat?
[video]https://www.facebook.com/LaughOrCroak1/videos/1597950503597409/[/video]

Ok, thats it for now,,,,L8ter gang!

Sherrel I'm glad to see your posts, great picture, but I can't get the disturbing image of that malformed goat out of my mind. Poor guy, which one would he use? Oh no, don't tell me both!

Johnny I'm glad you are feeling better. I have no idea what you used is, but I'm glad it worked for you!

Garry great picture as well and I get the joke. I wonder how many pills that tiger took with his "2 drinks" I thought people knew better these days. Back in the days when I used bad judgment if you got caught the police took your stuff and sent you home. Now it's arrest and thousands of dollars in legal fees.

E it's good to see where you create the magic, thank you!

Willie did you see Rolling Stone published their list of the top 100 heavy metal albums of all time? I was wondering what you thought of it. Of course a list like that can only make people argue, but I thought for the most part it was pretty good. I would have made a few changes, but that is to be expected.

Boris I really enjoyed your picture. I can't remember where, but I read an article about the Army-Navy game and the amazing number of trains needed at the height of it's popularity. Do you have any insider stories to share?

Karl I am proud of myself, I resisted the temptation to buy that 1979 Mercury Cougar XR7 although she is a real beauty! It would be a travesty to buy it without a garage to keep it in.

I understand how you feel about the EXs name. I have a train station that I use under my Christmas tree that is named after a former Queen of England with the same name as my EX. I turn it backwards so I don't have to look at it. Thank God it is part of a very nice 100 piece set from Costco and the buildings are highly detailed on both sides, but no name on the back of the station. I picked it up at goodwill a few years ago for $25, like new and its a beautiful set but I did not know the name of the train station when I bought it. I would get rid of it, but I have not found an equal or better set to take it's place. My daughter looked it up at Costco (she works there) and told me it has been discontinued and originally sold for $149.99

As for the locomotives, I like them both as they are, but you are a much more sophisticated modeler than I am. I suggest you sell the steam engine, with all the projects you are always involved in do you need another? I don't know how you keep up the pace you run at, but good on ya mate! ;) My weekly phone calls with Rodney from Tasmania is wear off on me.

Curt nobody would ever accuse you of being rude in any way. At least not on this forum. :)

Since the O's are off tonight I am going to lay in bed and hopefully find a national league game to fall asleep watching.

Have a great night Everybody!

Tim has really hit the jackpot with this video, published 3 days ago. Steam in Slovenia, aboard a vintage train. 35 mins, but if you can pull yourself away from the most beautiful scenery, you're better (worse) than me. Never seen anywhere so lush and green. Part 2 is in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_inXYrV6PH8

Good morning Shop dwellers. Cool and partly cloudy here in central MD.

...Ken in MD - Hope that you overcome the funk. I've been there before.
Thinks for the support Willie, I did manage to get a little bit done - got about a sq ft of Static Grass applied. Also had to fill a gap in the plywood with joint compound and then file it down so it wouldn't be visible under the parking lot gravel. Now I need to stop at Wally World and invest in a Dustbuster to suck up all the debris; don't want to use the Shop Vac since that is so powerful it may pull a lot of the flocking off the surrounding trees!

Curt - you too, huh? My internet and landline were both down yesterday. First during late afternoon when I got home from work; the modem box had lost power and the circuit breaker needed reset. Simple fix. But then it failed again at ~8:00pm, and this time I couldn't blame it on the circuit breaker; I power-cycled it and it failed to reboot properly. So I called Verizon tech support and they said they'd sent a tech out to investigate, but first as an anti-id-theft precaution, they needed my Account#...ooops, haven't been saving the printed bills, so I couldn't find it. Then I spent the next hour trying to figure out ways to get that Account#, to no avail. Then my son came over and he power cycled the modem and this time it worked - wtf:confused: Go figure...in the meantime I'm asking Verizon Customer Service to mail a copy of my bill to my home address so I can post it in a prominent place for the next time I need the account number!

Gotta go now, I'm on the clock. Everybody have a good 'un!

Good morning, everyone. Just leave the pot here, Flo - it'll be gone soon enough. 60 and mostly sunny here in SW MO.

Bruette - Those were just some naturopathic stuff I take, 'cause I avoid prescription meds as much as I can and most over-the-counter cold & flu stuff, too. Echinacea is in capsule form and Umcka is a liquid (like Nyquil, etc.) - both reduce the effects and duration of colds and flu symptoms. They may or may not work for everyone, but they work for me every time.

Toot - Darn you - - every time you post a trainride vid I just have to stop what I'm doing and watch, even the longer ones :cool: In my opinion, all of Europe is beautiful (we traveled throughout western Europe when we lived in Spain), but this little country has some really nice scenery!

Keep making progress on the passenger station, and getting ready to build the benchwork for the mainline outside loop. Got to remember to take photos and post 'em once in a while.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning, everybody ...

Here is another red and white locomotive. .... It is Red, White, and Grime. ...

gmo724.jpg

Good Morning All. It only reached 103.7 yesterday! Supposed to stop at 95 today, then to be in the low to mid 80's for the next week. Of course -- there is not even a whisp of a cloud showing anywhere, but we get pretty accustomed to that around here.

Have an appointment with the surgeon at the LA Medical Center this afternoon at 3 PM. Wife decided that she wants to ride the train with me, so, due to the fact that we have an appraiser's appointment at 10 AM, we will catch the train from San Bernadino to LA and return there. (sometimes the commuter times do not always run when/where we would like) Anyway, it will still cut an hour and a half off the drive time on the freeway; it's just too bad that our car will be in San Bernadino because otherwise we could take the Perris turn back to where we would like to have left from to start with. PART OF A TRAIN RIDE IS WAY BETTER THAN NO TRAIN RIDE AT ALL!

hOPE that I made you chuckle there Louis, I had not really thought about that in a long time. My dad had several things like that which he would toss out at approiate times. Every now and them one of them "pops" back into my mind. I think you should buy a garage to park that car in?

GARRY -- Another beauty of a picture with the R/W Loco. You want to see grimmy locomotives? The older paint on the GM&O F-Units - you could not even tell what color they were supposed tp be. The "red" KCS and the "red" MKT looked more black than red.

Better start getting ready. I should know the next surgery date after todays meeting. Then I hope that my life will return to a somewhat more normal routine.

Good morning, 56 and mostly sunny. Will be getting some paint on part of the depot today, working on some more details...

Hey everybody,

I'm not ignoring everyone but I'm having pretty significant Internet connection issues.

Not really issues here, however I am on a public computer and everytime I click something I have to deal with new screens that automatically appear. All I have for a computer is a iPhone, and that is a major pain to post on.

Garry-- tiger wood.....at least I get your jokes. Hardy har har!

I thought I would add a couple pics, these were in my Dad's belongings, depot and such:

Here is a depot near where I grew up, notice the Crex warehouse in the background? They had several of those in Wyoming, MN where I am modeling:

IMG_1038.jpg

Here is a shot from the other side of this depot, taken in 1905 (building may have been different, it is the same town).

That is my Great Grandfather Isaac Banta unloading a milk can. The track is hidden by the dock, but ran on this side of the depot. This is Forest Lake, MN

IMG_1042.jpg

Almost forgot ... Came upon this when I stopped to pick up an appliance part yesterday. I know it is not anything related to a train, however, it was certainly pretty to look at .. .
Big $$$$ for sure!

truck.jpg

Good morning. We're at 62 degrees and may get up to 70 today.

Sherrel - Keep the heat down there, but enjoy the train ride. That truck moves classic and high dollar cars. I have used them a few times taking my cars to auctions.

Took the week off trying to catch up on some projects plus just needed to get away from work for a while.

Saturday was work on the deck day. Railings were removed sanded and stained and most were replaced. Just a few more to go. Had just enough time to gag down dinner and head over to Livingston. Sunday we had a bunch of people over and frilled some steaks and just took it easy. Yesterday was a bit of running around. My son wants to close the area in under the front porch with cedar planks I ran around getting quotes and also finally picked up a washer to repair the frost free hydrant on the front of the house. Leaked bad. I also gave up on the repair shop getting my push mower foxed and found one lonely simple mower at the end of the line. All we use it for is to mow under the trees and nothing else. Not bad for $159. Don't need anything fancy.

Replaced the washer in the frost free hydrant and cured the problem, but had another leak. I run a piece of garden hose from the hydrant at the house 10 feet to the front of the porch where it connects to a hose bib and the hose bib must have had some water in it and froze splitting the fitting. Back to town for a new valve. We were in the low 90's mid day yeaterday and it was not a lot of fun working out there.

Toot - Enjoy your videos. Another good one.

Garry - Another nice photo.

Eric -
Your really have quite the set up there for working on kits. You're ready to rock and roll.

Also liked the red and white locomotives.

Joe - Nice shot of the electric.

A bit of DISAPPOINTMENT. Took the new Northern Pacific RS-1 to the club in Livingston Saturday night and it proved to be a bit of a wimp. Running it at home it worked as I had expected. My DC Atlas Alco RS-1's and RS-3's can easily handle 14 to 16 cars on me grades which are pretty similar to the grades at the club, but the new RS-1 with DCC can only handle 8 cars. I think it was Terry that noted that the weight is the same as the DC versions, but I don't think so with the difference in the pulling capacity. Did enjoy the evening though. We had a bunch of youngsters over and had about a dozen trains running at the same time. They really enjoyed it and we got through it without any wrecks.

Today I want to get some work done out in the shop. Later this year I am planning to send a few cars to acution and want to get them detailed out. Want to get rid of some of the cars that I don't drive on a regular basis that have not had the work done to get them to run on the unleaded gas. I do use an additive when I do drive them, but would rather not have to put up with that.

Later.

A late Good Morning to All. It's up to 85° and clear skies, headed for a high of 87°. Went for a walk this morning, then got into the pool when I returned, no wind whatsoever this week. After the pool, I went straight to the garden for some early summer maintenance, removing the green bean plants and a couple of other stragglers; applying compost and other fertilizers and covering with a layer of hay. Then picked tomatoes and returned to the pool! That's when I realized that I hadn't stopped by yet. Grandsons have been keeping me occupied a bit this week, while here for a few days. Wearing my wife out though!
I did get some time in the train shed and just ran trains. I did select another simple kit from the stash for my next assembly. It's DPM's "JC Nickels". Easy to assemble but a little tedious to paint.

Sherrel - I like the picture of the Frisco U-boat. A U30B I believe? I'll have to look it up later.
Garry - Another great picture. Loved the joke as well.
Eric - I like the lazy-susan idea.
Louis - I did see that list but I'm not really into metal music much after 1980 or so, so a lot of it was foreign to me. I did like seeing so many of Black Sabbath's albums in the upper rankings though.
Johnny - While I have had very little need for either of the "tonics", I found that Umcka was a lot more effective than Echinacea. Since I rarely get colds I cannot vouch for either one's total effectiveness.

Everybody have a great day. Time for lunch and a nap.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:

Back