Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Just coffee ... and lots of it. Woke up with a terrible backache this morning; that coinsided with a miserable afternoon yesterday. I chawk it up to having the medical procedure yesterday. Doing the prep was the worst time. Had three of them in the past two years and this was the one that was bad concerning the side effects. Nuff said.

Gonna be a hot one today - guessers say 92 for the next two days then back to the low 80's for awhile. Looks as if you guys in the midwest are getting hammered today with a little taste of everything.

I was sincerely hoping that Ken's cat would show back up. I just do not like to see any animal suffer. I see so many abused and neglected animals that sometimes I just want to take a baseball bat to some people.

Gee Terry, I didn't mean to upset you by suggesting that you be the service manager. My apologies!

Lately, we have been invested with chipmunks. So, I'm trapping them and hauling them across the bridge to release them in the Land Between the Lakes where they can live peacefully until a predictor gets them.

Cheers.

Garry: Be careful when dealing with chipmunks...remember what they did to Donald Duck :rolleyes:

It's almost noon, still 51°, cloudy and damp. This is what Spring is really like in Jersey. Happy Friday. Looking forward to tomorrow, the other ace wrap comes off the arm, and I will be able to shower without the garbage bag.

Louis: Did you actually stay up late enough to catch the whole O's game? They are doing well. Boston this weekend.

Willie: Could not afford to model the Metroliner, even at closeout prices.

Stupid Question of the day: Why are the crew of the "Second In" Engine / Truck Company referred to as "First Responders", when by definition, the come in second?

My own stupid question: I frequently see packages of wheels for sale, some marked 33" and others marked 36". What, in both real life and in n scale, is the difference and why does it matter?

This signature is intended to irritate people.

33" wheels are generally used for most freight cars and the 36" wheels are for passenger cars and some freight equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
My own stupid question: I frequently see packages of wheels for sale, some marked 33" and others marked 36". What, in both real life and in n scale, is the difference and why does it matter?

3"........ LOL Actually Montanan's answer is correct. There is also some period differences in how the wheels were made, so if you want to be absolutely prototypical, be sure to do some research and use the wheel sets (axles) that were used in your time period......

Some of the more modern 100 ton and 130 ton freight cars use 36" also.

Willie

I might add that I have on occasion slipped in a set of 36" wheels on Athearn BB Freight cars to attain proper coupler height, without using a Kadee washer.

Chet, Ray and Willie are all correct, it depends on era, weight and service. FWIW: Most diesels use 40" wheels.

Afternoon All,

Feels like a very warm 90 F today. The humidity must be going up. I spent around 3 hours on the kit today and got 2 of the three roofs installed. Tomorrow I will be at the club helping to prep and paint the concrete floor in advance of the open houses during the NMRA convention this year in Orlando. Sunday I should finish the kit except for the outside light that I am waiting for.

Thank you to everyone for the kind words on my build.

Chet- Good luck with the bowl off tonight.

Dave- That would be neat. We used to get lots of wildlife around us until several subdivisions were put in around us.

20170421_140911_zpsteuou4kv.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Looking for info?
I always "click" on 'New Posts' on the forum and then select the Thread that I want to read.
Yesterday afternoon ... when I did this there was at least 12-15 threads that appeared - but I did not have a chance to view all of them.
Today - when I opened the forum and clicked on new posts - there were only 4 shown.
What happened to the 'New Posts' that I did not view yesterday.
I have noticed this happening before, but I just never have asked about it - anyone?

Looking for info?
I always "click" on 'New Posts' on the forum and then select the Thread that I want to read.
Yesterday afternoon ... when I did this there was at least 12-15 threads that appeared - but I did not have a chance to view all of them.
Today - when I opened the forum and clicked on new posts - there were only 4 shown.
I have noticed this happening before, but I just never have asked about it - anyone?
Those threads are the only ones updated since your last visit, whether you viewed the other ones or not.

Looking for info?

The site stores a cookie each time you log on. The site then uses that cookie to determine if there are new posts since that time only. Anything prior to that log on is no longer new as determined by the software. Just do a screen capture and look up the missed threads and ignore the others. Actually I log onto the site many times a day (on the lookout for spam and moderated posts) so in my case I find it great
Hope that explains what is happening
Willis

I found Sean. Apparently he died a couple days ago. He went and hid in a culvert pipe a couple houses down. A strong thunderstorm passed through here about an hour ago and after that, my neighbor was walking his dog when he spotted the cat as he had been washed out of the pipe. He came and got me. I went back there with him and it was Sean. He died with his eyes wide open. Not the worse loss in my life, but still, he was always at my door in the morning and in the evening when I came home, waiting for me.

I found Sean. Apparently he died a couple days ago. He went and hid in a culvert pipe a couple houses down. A strong thunderstorm passed through here about an hour ago and after that, my neighbor was walking his dog when he spotted the cat as he had been washed out of the pipe. He came and got me. I went back there with him and it was Sean. He died with his eyes wide open. Not the worse loss in my life, but still, he was always at my door in the morning and in the evening when I came home, waiting for me.

Ken in VA ... Sorry to hear the news.

Joe ... I recall the Donald Duck cartoon with the train and the chipmunks. A classic Disney cartoon ! .. ... I noticed Apple auto correct changed "infested" to "invested". Often, I do not appreciate auto correct. I just got back from another trip across the bridge and back taking chipmunks over there.

Bullshit. Pain is pain. If I were you, I'd have a good cry.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss, KEN. At least you have the knowledge of his disappearance.

Gentlemen - Thanks for the answer to my prior question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back