Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

The Easter Sunday follows the Jewish Passover observance.
People want proof that Jesus existed but they reject the testimony of the bible as not credible.
I'm inclined to think that Christmas will be removed from the list of federal holidays in the near future, then the debate of when Christ was actually born won't matter much.

Last edited by a moderator:
People want proof that Jesus existed but they reject the testimony of the bible.
So, how is the scheduling of Passover evidence of either Jesus' existence or the Bible's testimony?

This signature is intended to irritate people.

People want proof that Jesus existed but they reject the testimony of the bible.

Tony ..... Exactly!... Proof is revealed to them, but they ignore it while demanding more. Meanwhile, they delight in agitating people with nonsense.

Beady ... Please drop the topic. Thanks.

William ... Again. Thanks for your Easter message.

We can get back to friendly conversations now.

I'm inclined to think that Christmas will be removed from the list of federal holidays in the near future, then the debate of when Christ was actually born won't matter much.

I think most people,even confirmed aethists will agree that Jesus existed. Just not that he was the son of god via a virgin birth or that he was resurrected...etc etc etc.

Tony ..... Exactly!... Proof is revealed to them, but they ignore it while demanding more. Meanwhile, they delight in agitating people with nonsense.

Beady ... Please drop the topic. Thanks.

William ... Again. Thanks for your Easter message.

We can get back to friendly conversations now.
Yes, exactly.

The atheist is accused of "agitating people with nonsense" and is expected to drop it. Christians, meanwhile, see nothing wrong with agitating others with their own "nonsense."

Why do I have to put up with your religion, but you don't have to put up with my non-religion?

I think most people,even confirmed aethists will agree that Jesus existed. Just not that he was the son of god via a virgin birth or that he was resurrected...etc etc etc.
Personally, I don't care. It does seem a bit silly to flat-out deny it, given Christianity's effect on Western history. However, that effect attests only to the religion and not to the person.

The evidence is pretty thin if you're going to attempt to prove a carpenter named Jesus, son of Joseph, actually existed. I believe the closest you can come is a couple of short passages in Josephus, the authenticity of which is highly questionable.

I rarely get involved in this kind of argument because neither side will budge and inch and if it festers long enough it will destroy Jeffrey's Coffee Shop.

Can we please get back to being friendly and not having to win an argument? Let's talk about Model Railroading that I think we all can agree is awesome.

My 2 cents.

I really don't have to defend the bible. It does so itself for those who are honestly seeking the truth about God.
If anybody was honestly seeking Jesus, they wouldn't being doing it on a forum like this.
I will gladly discuss it with anyone by PM.

Beady...Something tells me you might want to let this topic go.
Suits me. However, I would like two things noted: I participated in the holiday greetings; I reacted to religious claims, I did not introduce them.

Suits me. However, I would like two things noted: I participated in the holiday greetings; I reacted to religious claims, I did not introduce them.

It takes two to tango.
And I guess I need to once again remind everybody, the two topics that are expressly forbidden (that means don't discuss them) are politics and religion.

Beady I thought your Easter greeting was wonderful and very thoughtful especially coming from an atheist. Also nice you should mention our Pagan friends and the feast of Eostre. It's very interesting to me how so many Pagan feast have been incorporated, to put it kindly, into my Catholic heritage. Maybe not with the best of intentions, but still the same I enjoy them. My favorite of them is advent. I see the pagan celebrations as man's quest to be close to God as best as they could for the times they lived in. and there understanding. Our understanding today may or may not be any better, it has just evolved.

William Aka L&N Castle your Easter greeting/blessing was beautiful, thank you. Please tell Carey hello for me and I miss him and his infinite model railroad wisdom. He will always be a part of my hobby because of all that I have learned from him.

I failed to say Have a Blessed Passover for my Jewish friends, forgive me.

One of many things I enjoy about this forum is the tolerance for giving holiday/religious greetings. I am happy to hear from any and all faiths or beliefs, including atheists. Like Beady I take them in the spirit they are given, not always literally.

Saint John Paul or as I refer to him Pope John Paul the Great said and I will paraphrase in English because I am not fluent in Latin "Any good man can enter the Kingdom of heaven, regardless of faith" He went on to say much more but that sums it up for me and I could not agree more.

Whether you believe in the kingdom of heaven or not is irrelevant to me. All I care about is how you treat your fellow man. As American we should never forget we are founded on religious freedom and tolerance. It is part of what makes us the greatest nation the world has ever known.

My faith needs no evidence. In fact, to me that is the heart of my faith; simple blind faith, the mystery of faith. I believe God is much to complicated to understand any way.

Where the line should be drawn for this forum is at debating faith. For each and everyone of us faith is a personal matter and debating faith is pointless. Curt said it best "...neither side will budge and inch..."

Lets just leave it at sharing greetings, all greetings regardless of faith and like Beady take them in the spirit they are given.

I hope you all had a blessed Easter Monday.

God Bless us Everyone and all who sail with us! ;)

Beady I still have not yet figured out what "and all who sail in us" means, but that is ok. You are such a learned man many of the things you say I have to research and that one I have researched and still don't understand. But I do have faith in you as a good man and I take it in the spirit I believe it was given.

Ken in Md - My wife doesn't understand the concept either. It is easier (and less expensive) to maintain heat/cool than it is to force instant changes!

Ken- You should be sure to thank your "expert" neighbor! MOH misses part of the "it takes time" to change the temperature of something also. ...

Willie and Curt - I'm guessing MHO's belief is based on the fact that car interiors DO react quickly to the heater or A/C. I think maybe if I had a dozen of these heat pumps working in unison, that might achieve the necessary air flow-to-volume ratio for a quick temp change!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Louis, the "and all who sail in us" is Beady's modification of the final part at the naming and launching of a ship and that in itself could be open to political correctness interpretation. "And all who sail in her".

Louis, the "and all who sail in us" is Beady's modification of the final part at the naming and launching of a ship and that in itself could be open to political correctness interpretation. "And all who sail in her".
Yes and no. Yes, in that you correctly identified the source. No, in that ships are female, period, no pc involved. Ask anybody who's earned their living at sea.

Good evening gang!

Took a little time to get back to the shop, and boy, did somebody step in some shineola? Wow, do I need to start handing out these?

beat-a-dead-horse.jpg

Eric, it was great to hear from you, and the bridge looks Mahhhvelous!!

Ken I don't know what else you could do to make that room more efficient,,,,cept maybe build another garage around it!

Beady
If ships are always female, then how do you explain the USS Gerald R Ford, or the USS George Washington ???:rolleyes: They sound like men to me!

I'm sure there are others but between a sick cat (I'm afraid the end is near), eBay, my job, my yard, and SWMBO's painting projects,, I'm tired, a little cranky, maybe a bit snarky even. Time to hit the sack, 5 a.m. comes soon!

Good evening gang!

Took a little time to get back to the shop, and boy, did somebody step in some shineola? Wow, do I need to start handing out these?

View attachment 61374

Eric, it was great to hear from you, and the bridge looks Mahhhvelous!!

Ken I don't know what else you could do to make that room more efficient,,,,cept maybe build another garage around it!

Beady
If ships are always female, then how do you explain the USS Gerald R Ford, or the USS George Washington ???:rolleyes: They sound like men to me!

I'm sure there are others but between a sick cat (I'm afraid the end is near), eBay, my job, my yard, and SWMBO's painting projects,, I'm tired, a little cranky, maybe a bit snarky even. Time to hit the sack, 5 a.m. comes soon!
You never heard of transgender?

Back