Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
11949466_987529291298054_4491932860195022651_n.jpg

I've recently thought of switching to another scale,,,can't explain why, but I've thought about it! :rolleyes:

Louis: In case you fell asleep, Bundy made it through 7, 99 Pitches, 8 Ks, 1 earned run; Brach 1 hit, 2ks; Britton was shaky, loaded the bases, 1K, got Pearce to ground into a Double Play to end it. O's win 3-1, Sweep Toronto. Bring on the Yankees. Sidebar, although the screen is smaller, the HD picture is better on my Kindle Fire, vs. my PC. Makes for a better experience watching the game.

Suitcase connectors: Never had much luck with them, and my soldering talent is limited also. I use terminal boards. I also follow a different drum beat when it comes to wiring, but that's me...:rolleyes:

Trying to put together an order for Micro Mark, also need to take a ride over to Hobby Lobby for some "Chipboard" and some foam core board, to use as building mock-ups. I did manage to gas up the truck, get a hair cut and get the EKG. I located an outpatient facility, run buy a major NJ Healthcare Provider, that's less than five miles from home and meets my needs.

Looks like another 36 hours of rain is coming, beginning overnight.

Have a good evening.

Johnny, I spent a summer working for the Phone Company way back when I was in College.... That was a long time ago and the technology was very new. I had to punch wires from a 50 pair cable into a junction box with a special tool. Found out that the phone company when back into (Zerox Tower in Rochester, NY) and tore them all out about 3 years later. They failed way too much. Now I know what is out there today is a much more reliable product, but.............. The big problem with suitcase connectors for me is when you have to locate a specific problem on the layout. I have known some people who had to cut about half of the wires coming from the connectors and then install more after locating the problem....

What i have used for many years is plain out screw terminal strips (Used to be able to get what I used over at Radio Shack until they disappeared.) and put spade lugs on each wire. I always crimp and solder! I have soldered over 6,000 spade lugs and hooked them up over the years on my layout. Guess how many have ever failed? Yep.... None! If there is a problem I have to locate (and yes it has happened) it is a simple task to start unhooking the wires from the Terminal strips until you find the one causing the problem then go from there. Yes, it does take a bit longer then just squeezing the wires in a suitcase connector... but....... Besides I happen to like soldering. :p

Whatever you do make a color code for your wiring and stick to it! Label everything, where it goes to, and what it is for. Will save a lot of traceing wires when you have problems also.

Good luck!

Joe, Karl, Ken, Chet, Willie and others who commented about my layout photo published in Model Railroader..... Thank you ! .... I hope I saw all who commented as I scroll through on my iPhone.

Ex cyclone Debbie's aftermath here carries on. The Fitzroy river in Rockhampton, peaked at just under 29' midday today (Thursday) as it slowly moves toward the sea. Many areas of the City are not expected to drain until mid next week. In the meantime, the rain depression/storm as it now is has been battering and dumping torrential rain on New Zealand, after crossing the Tasman Sea. Pictures on the TV tonight of ripped up roads, damaged buildings etc. in the North Island. She's been a doozy of a storm, this one.

Louis: In case you fell asleep, Bundy made it through 7, 99 Pitches, 8 Ks, 1 earned run; Brach 1 hit, 2ks; Britton was shaky, loaded the bases, 1K, got Pearce to ground into a Double Play to end it. O's win 3-1, Sweep Toronto. Bring on the Yankees. Sidebar, although the screen is smaller, the HD picture is better on my Kindle Fire, vs. my PC. Makes for a better experience watching the game.

Suitcase connectors: Never had much luck with them, and my soldering talent is limited also. I use terminal boards. I also follow a different drum beat when it comes to wiring, but that's me...:rolleyes:

Trying to put together an order for Micro Mark, also need to take a ride over to Hobby Lobby for some "Chipboard" and some foam core board, to use as building mock-ups. I did manage to gas up the truck, get a hair cut and get the EKG. I located an outpatient facility, run buy a major NJ Healthcare Provider, that's less than five miles from home and meets my needs.

Looks like another 36 hours of rain is coming, beginning overnight.

Have a good evening.

Boris I did fall asleep, thank you for the recap! I did see the highlights on the Orioles Facebook page. The bullpen reminded me of Don Stanhouse or as Earl use to call him "full pack" Others called him "Stan the man unusual"
donstanhouse.jpeg

I thought of Stanhouse because of Brock giving up a lead off double in the 8th and Britton loading the bases in the 9th, but neither gave up any runs. Once again the defense came to the rescue. Over the years I have been critical of Schoop, but he turned the double play brilliantly! He is a great athlete, but has been inconstant, maybe this is the year he puts it all together.

Those Kindles are fantastic and Amazon sells them at or near cost. On black Friday you can buy them below cost! I've bought nearly a dozen of them as gifts. I use my wife's original kindle and it works great as a music player. It does more, but that is all I've used it for. My wife loves the Kindle paper white for reading.

I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Ex cyclone Debbie's aftermath here carries on. The Fitzroy river in Rockhampton, peaked at just under 29' midday today (Thursday) as it slowly moves toward the sea. Many areas of the City are not expected to drain until mid next week. In the meantime, the rain depression/storm as it now is has been battering and dumping torrential rain on New Zealand, after crossing the Tasman Sea. Pictures on the TV tonight of ripped up roads, damaged buildings etc. in the North Island. She's been a doozy of a storm, this one.

I'm glad you are safe and dry. My thoughts and prayers go out to those less fortunate.

Good Morning All. 41° and clear here this morning. Wind finally stopped just before sunset yesterday. Temperature is a little below average for this time of year, but the next ten days look to be more normal...48-80. Started mulching the garden yesterday with a load of spoiled hay that a neighbor brought by a few weeks ago. Conserves moisture, shades the ground and keeps it cool, decomposes and adds to the soil, and keeps my shoes from getting muddy.
Managed to run a few more trains yesterday. I have now cycled through all 60 of my active engines in the last two weeks; all are running well thankfully. And yes I managed to keep track!

Terry - Good news about the SIL, I think.
Tony - Quite the video. I need to get up there sometime to view the layout. It's only 800 miles away, backyard by TX standards!
Johnny - Spade terminals are definitely better and more reliable than loose wires, and Karl's advice about strict color codes is right on. As Ray also pointed out, troubleshooting can be a bitch with suitcase connectors. Again, I repeat...a single loose connection to a track feeder is not going to knock out the whole system. Look elsewhere first. Start at the transformer and make sure that nothing got crossed underneath the layout. Also look on top. A screwdriver or an uncoupling magnet accidentally placed across two rails could be the problem, don't ask how I know this!
Louis - Good to hear from you.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Willie, the sister in law is terminal. There is just a huge helping of denial on the part of the person making the medical decisions. She would have passed on last Sunday, except the person that has power of attorney ordered extrordinary measures be taken to keep her alive. Currently, she remains in intensive care, on a vent, in an induced coma, with no hope of recovery. Oh, and the rest of her family has been restricted from any contact.

Good morning, everyone. 43 right now in SW MO, got down to 34 last night, heading for mid 50s and sunny today. This will be short - gotta get to a meeting. Hey, Flo - cuppa joe to go :)
See ya later. have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 40 degrees to start off the day and we are expected to get 'll up into the 60's today.

Karl - I think I would also consider changing scales. Grin.gif Looks good to me.

Terry - Not a good situation. I can't understand why people get like that. I have seen similar situations over the years.

Guess there will be no work on the trains this weekend as we have a bowling tournament this weekend in Ronan, MT. 21 games in one day. Just can't understand how I get talked into things like this. Going to have bags packed tonight and leave town after bowling league Friday and drive as far as Missoula where we'll spend the night and then drive up to the Indian Reservation Saturday morning. Don't care for the road between Missoula and Ronan in the daylight, let alone in the dark.

Johnny: I had a short once just days before my informal group was coming over. It turned out to be a piece of .032 solder laying between the rails and shorting out the system. I use suitcase connectors and I haven't encountered any problems with them.

Karl: Thanks for posting the photograph of my main Dispatcher. I was wondering just where she went!

Chet: Good luck at your bowling tournament.

Blood test at the local hospital and then working on the layout.

Greg

They sure have their poop in group over there Beady, but I doubt that it would ever happen here. Thanks for the post.

Good afternoon, 45 and sunny!

Terry--we were looking at something like that, some people have a hard time letting go.

Good afternoon. Windy and 55, with occasional sqalls.

For those of you that haven't been watching the news, Don Rickles died today at the age of 90.

I was sitting at my desk at work. Just got out of a meeting with my team and the rain storm hit. Lightning, winds, heavy rain and someone said they thought they saw some small hail in the parking lot. Suddenly, the lights went out, came back on for a couple seconds then went out again. Suddenly, the office was quieter than I have ever heard it. No air system running, no printer killing trees, no fax machine singing away, just silence. The small conversations began about the storm then people wandering over to the windows to watch the rain hitting the parking lot below. Half hour later we are still in the grey shadows of the office space and we can see vehicles beginning to leave the other office parking lots. At first just ones and twos, now its becoming a mass movement to the parking lot exits. I get it. The power probably won't be restored for some time. I pack up my laptop and put a note on my white board that I'm working from home the rest of today and all day tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back