Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. 66° and partly cloudy today. All of this talk about mowing the lawn, I've been at it since mid-February!

Curt - I hope that it nothing too serious with your SIL.
Ken (D&J) - It does sound like Urgent Care is the answer today.
Terry - Enjoy your time at the State Park.

Everybody have a great Saturday.

Willie

Morning gents. A couple of pics of my newest aquisition. This is factory DCC sound-equipped RDC by Rapido in CNR delivery-scheme green. Rapido hits it out of the park again with in incredible detail, phenomanal running qualities and awesome sound!!
IMG_2265.JPG IMG_5378.jpgIMG_5379.jpg

Morning All,

Garry and Willie thank you for the well wishes. My SIL after being ruled out for a active stroke was transfered to Georgetown Neurological ICU. They live SW of DC. They aren't sure yet what is going on.

I have actually done a little train work this morning!!!
I supppse I need to email the landlord and get him to send my air brush stuff.

Here is the bridge i built. I forgot who sent it now.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ProIMG_0970.JPG

Hope that attached image got stuck.
[emoji3]

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, 60 and light rain, headed for 64.

Well, this is my last day at my "new" job. I can hardly believe I have been here 8 months. Maybe you recall they fired the head manager and sales leader about a month ago, I decided to "voluntarily separate" due to the really tough conditions brought on by Corporate.

I am calling it a test retirement, however we are getting ready for the auction sale of my parents stuff.

Eric--nice to hear from you!

Gentek-- love the new purchase

Willie-- lawn mowing must be just about year round in tx

more later

[

Came back yesterday from the cabin. Turned on the water for the season. WOW, flush toilets.

Pulled a hamstring muscle last Sunday and its finally getting better. Will visit the layout later this afternoon. No real bending, standing or working under the bench work. Planning on adding lots of incandescent and LED lighting to the layout.

Have to take photo of an old grain or corn mill that I saw in a small town in Wisconsin. May try to build a flat of this building for my new freight yard. Have to take photos of the buildings of the past before they are gone forever.

Guess I may work on one locomotive who's gears are making noise at higher speeds.

Happy Easter.

Greg

Good afternoon fellers. I hope everyone is well. I figured I'd stop by for a cup real quick. Counting down the days until the George Washington Train Show the C&O Historical Society is throwing on the 29th of this month in Clifton Forge VA. Be my first visit to their museum. Oddly enough it's only a stone's throw away from where I grew up and I have never been. At any rate I reckon there's no time like the present to go check it out.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

I know that many of the Forum members model certain eras and are on the look out for vehicles that fit their particular era. Steam fans, my wife found this clipping form a page from the Milwaukee Journal in 1934 of used vehicles for sale.

The scan is a little hard to read due to the discoloration of the newspaper, but still fun to read.

Thanks.

Greg

Old Vehicle Prices 001.jpg

Good Mid morning! On the way to 77 degrees, clear and Westerly winds of 4 MPH.
Thank you all for the words of encouragement ... I am still pretty well bummed out over it all, and I just cannot seem to find a good feeling about it this time. The other times - including the cancer - I just never gave it any thought. Oh Well, time to get on with things.

Eric- -- It's good to see you posting again. Many were becoming quite concerned that you had not been heard from for a while. You have really been put through the ringer with your problems. Wish I could just snap my finger and it would all be better for you!

Curt - Glad that your SIL did not have a stroke. Hope that they can determine what caused her issue. Glad that you are keeping tabs on Phil.

Ken in VA -- Someties I think my arms are getting shorter as well. I can still almost reach my ankles - close! Sometimes when my back is hurting, I will just lay on the floor for a while and watch sports or a TV show with a very small pillow under the small of my back and try to relaz as much as possible. It seems to help.

Willie -- That is the shortest post I have ever seen from you .. you sick? lol

Terry - looks like a very nice camping place for a weekend getaway.

Gene -- very nice purchase!

Hope every one has a very nice Easter!

Finally finished another languishing project that had been shoved to the side. This potting bench was mostly made with pallet wood planed down.
Making a little progress on getting some of my work space back!

potting benxh.jpg

Ok fellers, guess it's getting time for some advice on a/the new layout.
The easy answer is simply to dismantle the layout you all know about and put it back together here.

My past limited experience with moving a layout is that it doesn't always go so well.
So I,m preparing my mind for a whole new plan and layout and all that.
Of course I'd love to be able to re-use my mountain shell if at all possible. I'm sure I could reuse the portals.

Anyway, my available space is roughly 28'x 9'. Take off at least a few feet on all sides of course.
I do not plan to use anywhere near that.

My current rig is/was 6x7 and I fully intend on expanding - how much so is TBD.
How much or in what configuration I also leave as TDB.
I'm not terribly interested in a reverse but a turntable might still be fine.

I'm thinking around 10' x 5 or 6' would suffice.
I realize I simply am not going to have the physical ability to build like I did in the past.
Then again, one never knows.

My palette is now open for further discussion and creative thoughts.
I'm not changing eras which would currently be modern day beast machines.
I will be upping up some of my curves' radii so as I can run my UP DDA40X.
I will be doing scenery like before.
However, I might need to cut back some because of physical limitations. We'll see.
Anyhow, it seems that full use if both hand and arms is returning.

To be honest I'm happy to see some of my enthusiasm return.

Please, you all help me out with some new ideas.
E.

PS: I'll be emailing my landlord in GA to send me my airbrush equipment.
And speaking of that, I'll likely/probably shuold get an airbrush booth. Remember I am in a an "old folks ome".

Major PS: Your well-wishes are read with great enthusiasm and most welcome.
THANK YOU!!!!!

Sherrel, your potting bench looks a lot like something that I made for my wife!

Eric, Sounds like a huge area! Dismantling can be a problem, can't remember if you are on foam or plywood. If plywood, can easily be cut with a jigsaw or sawsall, and hauled in the back of a car or truck. If possible, can you simply carry your old one out the door, add a couple turnouts and go from there?

Sherrel, your potting bench looks a lot like something that I made for my wife!

Eric, Sounds like a uge area! Dismantling can be a problem, can't remember if you are on foam or plywood. If plywood, can easily be cut with a jigsaw or sawsall, and hauled in the back of a car or truck. If possible, can you simply carry your old one out the door, add a couple turnouts and go from there?

Hey Dave,
I'm on plywood but it's 3 separate sheets of 2 x 7 that make it 6x7.
I have it screwed together with the deck being attached with angle brackets on 1x4 framing making up the table frame.
Taking it apart won't be the problem - at least by me.
Taking down the electronics might be an issue - not by me.

Note to all: I do ned a recommendation on a little paint booth.

Eric...my first thought is what do you want in a new layout? Tailchaser ? Point-to-point? On a table in the middle of the room or on shelves going around the walls? Do you want to sit back and just watch trains go around the layout or be up and actually working them doing some switching etc? Plus what is your favourite part of the hobby that actually gives you the most pleasure? What do you hate doing the most?? Once you can prioritize what your wants are then it might be easier to decide how to proceed.

Good afternoon. Had a few inches of snow on the ground this morning but it has all melted off as it is now in the mid 50's.

Eric - It's great to have you back with us on a more regular basis. I missed you and I'm sure than many others did also. I'm glad that you are considering another layout. I was thinking that instead of trying to move your old layout, why not trying to salvage as much as you can in the way of track and buildings and start a new one. From the time you started you layout in Georgia, you gained a lot of skills which became apparent as to layout progressed. I still have the rock molds that you sent back from your mountain and you're more than welcome to use them again. Looking forward to see what you're going to do. With more space, you may be able to have broader curves and not have aome of the problems that you had before with the tight curves.

Sherrel -
Nice job with the pallets. My son and his wife have built some outstanding items using pallets. He has a lot of my power tools but I can live with that now that out remodeling projects are complete.

Gene - Those Rapido RDC's are some really outstanding units. I have seen their video on the Rapido web site and was totally amazed. I had seriously considered getting one because the do offer it in DC configuration and undecorated, which would make it easy to decorate for my freelance railroad. If you can, take a video of how well It runs. I was blown away with the details on it.

Being that we were away on a bowling tournament last weekend, we are heading over to my daughters shortly to have a combined birthday party with my grandson Rogan who also had his birthday last week.

Catch you later.

Good afternoon. Had a few inches of snow on the ground this morning but it has all melted off as it is now in the mid 50's.

Eric - It's great to have you back with us on a more regular basis. I missed you and I'm sure than many others did also. I'm glad that you are considering another layout. I was thinking that instead of trying to move your old layout, why not trying to salvage as much as you can in the way of track and buildings and start a new one. From the time you started you layout in Georgia, you gained a lot of skills which became apparent as to layout progressed. I still have the rock molds that you sent back from your mountain and you're more than welcome to use them again. Looking forward to see what you're going to do. With more space, you may be able to have broader curves and not have aome of the problems that you had before with the tight curves.

Sherrel -
Nice job with the pallets. My son and his wife have built some outstanding items using pallets. He has a lot of my power tools but I can live with that now that out remodeling projects are complete.

Gene - Those Rapido RDC's are some really outstanding units. I have seen their video on the Rapido web site and was totally amazed. I had seriously considered getting one because the do offer it in DC configuration and undecorated, which would make it easy to decorate for my freelance railroad. If you can, take a video of how well It runs. I was blown away with the details on it.

Being that we were away on a bowling tournament last weekend, we are heading over to my daughters shortly to have a combined birthday party with my grandson Rogan who also had his birthday last week.

Catch you later.

will do Chet....dont know how well my iPad or iPhone will take video but I'll give it a shot. I can tell you it does run brilliantly, crawls at speed-step 1. Remember..mine is DCC...no idea if the DC model runs as well.

So far I have resisted ordering one. An RDC is perfect for the passenger operations on my layout. I would love one, but at $225, it is a bit pricey. I already have a Proto version plus a number of passenger cars.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

They are pricey..but it seems everything is these days. Nothing wrong with Proto stuff...I quite like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back