Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXII

Beady - Light at the end of the tunnel ???? A few years from now you can possibly laugh at the situation. Maybe you can start working on a layout some time in the spring. Best of luck. Don't fire too many rounds. I can't believe how expensive ammo has gotten. I found a few boxes of empty brass a while ago. .357 hollow point, Remington. Woolworth price tag - $4.95. This would be from the early 70's.

Sherrel - Love the Alcos.
Not worried about ammo. I've got 10 lbs of handgun powder, 1k .45 200gn bullets, 10k large pistol primers, 2k .45 Colt brass, 1k .45 330gn bullets, 200 45/70 brass, 200 45/75 brass, 3 lbs rifle powder, 4k rifle primers. Got 600 45. Colt, 100 and 100 45/70 & 45/75 rounds on hand.

BTW, I reload, and buy components in bulk.

But I think you already guessed that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Wow, 64 degrees in King George this afternoon. I've been working on the bridge and getting my laundry processed.
I need a different kind of I beam for part of the bridge. I think this a great opportunity to take the Harley out and go get what I need.

Beady - I had a hunch that you were doing that. I don't reload myself, but we have a friend who owns a gun shop and he'll reload any brass that I bring him. We sort of do a bit of trading. I'll work on his cars and he'll reload my ammo.

Just got a sad phone call. My uncle that worked for the Milwaukee Road and got me started riding with him and my other uncles passed away last night. He apparently passed in his sleep. He had no known medical issues. He was 99.

Just got a sad phone call. My uncle that worked for the Milwaukee Road and got me started riding with him and my other uncles passed away last night. He apparently passed in his sleep. He had no known medical issues. He was 99.

Chet - Sincere condolences. Hard to lose someone with a connection to your past like that. At 99 he had a long and probably interesting life. At least he passed in his sleep.
Johnny

Chet .... I'm sorry to hear that. I recall your interesting stories of riding in locomotives with him. ......... Condolences to your family.

Sympathy for your loss, but it sounds like he had both a good life and a good death. Feel sad at the hole he'll leave, but for nothing else.

I'm not sure what else to say, except I have a spare shoulder and plenty of time. Feel free.

Chet
Our condolences to you and yours. It sounds like he had a long run, and he finally is back at the roundhouse. God bless him.

He was quite the character. I had five uncles working for the railroad. All of them had numerous sons, but he had four girls. He took me under his wing just like a son. I will never forget what I learned from him about the railroad and all of the time I spent with him and my other uncles riding on trains.

He was still sharp as a tack even at 99. Every morning he would drive himself down to the cafe a few blocks away to have breakfast with his cronies. You would never guess that he was 99. He got around just fine and as I mentioned he had no medical problems that any one know of. He lived by himself, did all of his house keeping and cooking by himself. If you have to go, I guess passing away in your sleep is the way to go.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Chet:

So sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a close relative who is also a dear friend is difficult. To be able to live a healthy and active 99 years is a long and wonderful life.

My deepest condolences.

Greg

WOW, Chet ... I would say that he used all the runway available!
99 years of Montana winters -- good stock there!
Sorry to hear of his passing. :-(

So Sorry Chet, I know I dont know you too well, but being that I know how our families left so much happiness in our lives, its something we always carry and always will. My condolences to you and your family.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wow, what a long and rich life to celebrate. Our lives are for the Lord to lay down and pick at his choosing. We cannot express remorse in God's choice of actions as he is right in all that he does, but we can say we will miss our departed friends.

This is the chapel car. I am dispatching it to the Coffee Shop for those patrons who may wish to pray for Chet's family as they mourn the loss of Chet's Uncle.

9b52de8b-dd00-4194-a435-f7ce5af0f16d_zpsowvelbyt.jpg

Afternoon All,

I started on the 3 grade crossings today. The "road" is made from a styrene "for sale" sign. Tomorrow I need to put the sides on the road. I have tested all 3 tracks without issue.

Chet- Condolences and prayers to you and your family.

Garry- Nice looking locos.

Justin- Nice pictures.

Johnny- I look forward to seeing your progress.

Louis- Remember that the loco is a grey color! LOL:)

20170220_134837_zps9okrwt12.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Beady - I had a hunch that you were doing that. I don't reload myself, but we have a friend who owns a gun shop and he'll reload any brass that I bring him. We sort of do a bit of trading. I'll work on his cars and he'll reload my ammo.
I find reloading relaxes me. It takes maybe 1.25 hours do do a box of 50 rounds. That, and it's much, much cheaper than buying factory cartridges. I don't reload shotgun, since that's only $0.25 a round. I think I can do rifle and handgun for $0.05 or less (it's been awhile since I've done the math).

Shooting, itself, also relaxes me. Oddly, this almost got me into trouble at work. It'd been a rough day, and a supervisor heard me telling the person in the next cube I was going out shooting after punching out. It took a 20 - minute interview, plus corroboration from another supervisor, before I could go back to my cube.

Chet - My condolences on the loss of your uncle. It sounds like he lived a rich and very full life. An old Hispanics saying around here is, "The Lord has to take one away before He has room to bring a new one in".

Willie

Evenin' folks,

Chet! My sincere Condolences to you and yours on the loss of your Uncle! Sounds like he lived a long and good life. Healthy right to the end? Wow! I mean no offense, but all I can think of is the lines from Grumpier Old Men (my favorite movies of all time!) Where the conversation goes: "What happened? Died in his sleep. Lucky Bastard!!!" Hope that is what will happen to me, I do!

Been way to busy here of late to do more than just pop in and see who posted what... Busier than a cat coverin' poop on a marble floor, so to speak.

Later!

Sorry to hear that, Chet. When one considers that he was 99 and had no known issues, and passed in his sleep, sounds like a great life to me, plus he got his money out of Railroad Retirement too. I'll bet you have a lot of fond memories of his life. Our sincere condolences to you and your family.

Evenin' folks,

Been way to busy here of late to do more than just pop in and see who posted what... Busier than a cat coverin' poop on a marble floor, so to speak.

Ray. I can sort of relate to the cat analogy. Tink (our husky female cat *notice I didn't say fat*) tries to bury the uneaten part of her dinner every night, on the kitchen linoleum! Frankly, from the smell of her wet cat food, I don't blame her.
Here she is saying "Hi!" All 21 pounds of her!

027.jpg

Back