Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Had a good day working on the layout...

- Planted some additional ground foam

- Reviewed WS Just Plug It instructions and decided on locations for the lamp posts and test one fro brightness

- Installed a On/Off switch on a control panel for the Just Plug It power supply

- Labeled some wiring in a control panel...Finally!

- Ran a ore train and found some cars derailing at a cross over turnout. Adjusted the turnout and found the throw bar was loose from the rail. Repaired it. Running short ore cars are a good test for track work and turn outs. They find the smallest problems.

- Cleaned up the work bench

- Ran some trains while working to break in a locomotive

Tomorrow promises to be a busy day.

Shipment from Micro-Mark just arrived!

That's all....

Greg

Afternoon All,

I've been feeling a little bit crappy today, it feels like a cold or worse coming on. Nothing new on the layout this weekend. I checked with my brother and there will be no issues with the weather.

Karl- Nice story.

Louis- I hope your grandson recovers quickly.

Dave- That train must of impressed you as a kid.

Tony- Welcome. Grab a cup of coffee and stay awhile.

Garry- Great pics. That is surprising that what I thought was white is actually grey. I guess it is something like Pennsy DGLE.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hi Greg, sounds like you accomplished a lot today!

Dreamin about my layout, deciding on the towns that I want to include on my route, for sure Sandstone, MN for the quarry, but also thinking about Rutledge with their sawmill industry around the turn of the century, also the wire grass rug factory in Wyoming, MN. They are all along the same stretch of track, however will be skipping some of the places inbetween.

This time around I will be modeling from photographs.

We are having really mild weather, I was just outside and lots of bird activity in our area.

Curt--lots of colds going around here. So far I have dodged it. I work in a retirement community with 95 residents so the risk is pretty high, unless my immunity has built up over the months.

Good afternoon. We made our weekly shopping trip to town and I did a few honey dos before going down to the train room.

Ran trains and did some switching and then went to one of the older parts of the layout to start adding some details. A fence was started to go behind these houses to separate them from the tracks and then some gravel was added for driveways and a few trees were put in.

IMAG1053.jpg IMAG1054.jpg

This is about the last part of the layout where plywood is still showing. Hope to get it all covered in the near future. Some gravel was also added to the parking lot of the diner. Now the glue has to dry so I figured I would catch up on some of the posts I saw on the phone.

Tony - Welcome to the coffee House. Don't be a stranger. We talk about just anything here except politics. Had our share of snow up here also. Had snow piled up over 5 feet deep with what was plowed up to keep the driveway open. Had a couple of days in the 40's for some of the snow to melt off and the piles to settle a bit.

Garry - Another great photo. Never get tired of seeing them.

Greg - Looking forward to see how the WS lights come out. You just may tempt me to get some.

Curt -
The photo of the road answered my question.

Dave - Glad to hear that you are dreaming about your next layout. Sorry to see the first one go. It was really nice.

Later.

Good afternoon. We made our weekly shopping trip to town and I did a few honey dos before going down to the train room.

Ran trains and did some switching and then went to one of the older parts of the layout to start adding some details. A fence was started to go behind these houses to separate them from the tracks and then some gravel was added for driveways and a few trees were put in.

Tony - Welcome to the coffee House. Don't be a stranger. We talk about just anything here except politics. Had our share of snow up here also. Had snow piled up over 5 feet deep with what was plowed up to keep the driveway open. Had a couple of days in the 40's for some of the snow to melt off and the piles to settle a bit.

Later.

Wow nice buildings and I love the time frame! Thank you for the welcome as well, yea we only got a 16 inches the other day, a few today and looks like a repeat for tomorrow with a few more but with ice. Its that time a year in New England so when you said 5 feet!! I dont need to express any sad issues doing my snow then for this whole week!! haha, see you all later.

Steam experts: Can anyone identify this locomotive? I will need one for my new layout and wondering if there is enough here for a good I.D.:

train wreck.jpg

Hi Tony, Welcome! Hope to see you around

Evenin' folks!

Janie, I'll just need a refill for my decaf to keep me warm.

For the next 3 weeks I'll be heading to Canandaigua a good many times to take care of my sister's cats and water her plants while she is in the "Very Far" again (heading on a artist tour of India this time). Turns out my SIL will be able to help out except for 4 days where she is having to recover from some minor surgery.... That means I have about a dozen days to drive up there instead of 21.... My sister leaves tonight for her hotel room at the airport. I guess her flight leaves at 5 am on Sunday... She won't be getting much sleep....... I get to pick her up when she gets back.... At 1AM.... IN THE MORNING!! And drive her home and then go home myself.... I should be getting home around 3AM or so...

Did get some scenery work done the last few days... Went from this:

KeukaCreek35w_zpspubgfm0l.png

To this:

KeukaCreek40w_zpsrzwravw5.png

Hope you all have a great night!

edit: Dave? Why do you want a wrecked locomotive for your layout??? Hmmmmmm....... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Steam experts: Can anyone identify this locomotive? I will need one for my new layout and wondering if there is enough here for a good I.D.:

Hi Tony, Welcome! Hope to see you around

Thanks Dave, checking out your videos as well soon. Im so new to Rails, Im just glad I was able to recognize it as a Steamer...lol

We're having our heat wave at the moment. 104-5f. Smoke alarm in the hallway has just started beeping every few seconds, never done that before, it's either saying it can't stand it either or the battery's running down.

We're having our heat wave at the moment. 104-5f. Smoke alarm in the hallway has just started beeping every few seconds, never done that before, it's either saying it can't stand it either or the battery's running down.

You're not cooking again are you?

Tony: Any time you see a loco with domes on the top of the boiler, the long Horizontal tube, as in this pic it's definitely a Steam Loco. To get a little more explicit, the Right and Left domes are Sand Domes to release sand on the rails for added traction in various situations. The middle dome is the Steam dome and has the Whistle on it and I believe pressure release valves if the boiler pressure gets too high but I'm not completely sure about that. Also all steamers will have a stack of ome type at the front end.

Hope this is of some help?

You're not cooking again are you?

No, it usually goes off if we toast bread, but this has turned out to be a low battery warning. Obviously forgot to change the battery at the due date. Spent the arvo in the bedroom, the only AC room in the house (getting it installed in the living area next week, handy eh!), just checked the official temp @ 7:00pm, 102f. Have something light to eat and go back there I think.

View attachment 60575

With so little actually visible in this photo, making identity difficult, I wonder why you feel you specifically need one of these for your new layout? I would find a more easily recognized steam locomotive photo, to declare a need for.

Wow, 47 degrees before the sun is up in King George, VA.
I ran out of material for building the bridge. I thought I had enough but apparently I was mistaken. Placed an order with Plastruct for it. Will probably be here by next weekend.
I can get some work done on the classification yard turnouts this week then.
Another surprise with the diet. Just like I gained 4 lbs out of the clear blue sky, (well except for the two pound muffin), today I'm back down 4 lbs without going on a walk yesterday.
Got an email from a friend up in Mt. Morris, MI. He was diagnose with cancer in the lung and liver, stage 3. Causes major changes and outlook on life along with beliefs.

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 64. Forecast high is 80. They're having blizzards a 5 hour drive North of here, so I'll happily take the warm sun. I do however, dread upcoming June, when it will probably be 110+, and humidity to match.

Got an email from a friend up in Mt. Morris, MI. He was diagnose with cancer in the lung and liver, stage 3. Causes major changes and outlook on life along with beliefs.
I'm interacting daily with the office manager where I work. She was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago with stage 4b colorectal cancer. The chemo and radiation have stopped working, the tumors are growing, and they are finding cancer in more and more areas. I make it a point to stop and chat with her a few minutes every day. Usually I'll tell her a funny story or a "Dad joke", so she can at least have a chuckle. Thursday, the GM was trying to open a box that had been taped shut. He was having all manner of trouble trying to get it open, using the dull side of the knife to try to cut the tape, and nearly amputating a finger in the process. After watching him struggle for a couple of minutes, I asked him, "Does your wife know you have that knife?" At which point she dissolved into helpless giggles...
The point of my rambling is, whether or not laughter is the best medicine, or if a positive attitude makes a difference, it certainly never hurts.

Back