Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Hey Curt. In your photo,the section that you are working on,is that going to be a new industry site, or small staging yard? William.

Good evening.

Curt ... Regarding the height of siding tracks being lower than the mainline..... I would install the plywood base lower than the base for the mainline instead of messing around with N scale roadbed. The tracks connecting the mainline with the sidings can be on plywood with a slope.

Cheers, everybody.

TOOT -- Are you referring to the small left-right arrow to the left of the url.

That's the one. I always think of them as back and forwards. The battery in my wireless mouse ran down and I thought it was that, but a new battery didn't fix it. Just does this every now and then. Maybe I should do a Pa Kettle and bang my chair up and down.

I went to the doctor today to get my EGD done. The ran a scope down my esophagus and dialated (stretched) it, here are before and after shots. Its amazing i could even swallow.

The first pic is the after dialation, and the second is before dialation.View attachment 60521

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-02-06-19-36-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-02-06-19-36-06.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 176
  • Screenshot_2017-02-06-19-35-51.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-02-06-19-35-51.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning gang
46 and cloudy, weatherguessers are saying 67 with rain later. Then snow on Thursday?
Screwy.

Good morning Everybody!

Busy, busy, busy, but it's good to be busy!

I hope Everyone is doing good.

God Bless us Everyone!

Good Morning All. A mild 56° and clear today. Made it up to 80° yesterday, only supposed to hit 79° today...wow, they're predicting 86° for a high Saturday! Finally got my green peas planted in the garden, a couple of days later than I wanted, but still on time. Come on by for the harvest in mid April.
Following up on the discussion regarding track elevations, like others have posted, I also have industry sidings/spurs at ground level rather than raise structures. I only use the "N" scale roadbed on passing sidings. On another note, I confess that it was me who brought up the dreaded feeders. But remember, Bruce eventually admitted to adding a second set.:D On that same subject, while I have run many many feet with a single set of feeders during set-up and testing, I find that a little solder and wire is really cheap insurance. I cannot solder all rail joints because of the temperature/humidity fluctuations here. That and I am still really lousy at soldering; although getting better as I near the end of my need!

Sherrel - Hope that the CT Scan went well.
Chet - I too run long trains backwards through every combination of routes. That's one of the reasons why it takes me several months before I ballast track after laying it. I have been extremely fortunate on this layout, having learned much from previous layouts. I don't get into a hurry.
Ron - Boy I sure hope that there is a permanent fix to that condition, or is that it?
Louis - Great to hear from you again. Be careful out there. http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/...most-january-homicides-in-more-than-a-decade/

Everybody have an awesome day.

Willie

Coffee in hand to start the day. I should be off to an earlier start. It was so foggy last night when I left the office I could hardly see across the parking lot. Dense fog advisory this morning now with storms. Looking out the window it doesn't look too bad, just wet and gray so far.

There is quite a bit of activity here during the week - several more pages of replies in just a couple days. Wow. Too much reading material.

Good morning, everyone. You can just leave the pot, ma'am - the other guys will want their own pot, too, I reckon. :) 60 and sunny here in SW MO. No severe weather last night, as the weather guessers had predicted - at least not here - just some rain, which we need. Still a nice week on tap: up to 70 today and 75 on Saturday?!?!

Not much happening in the train room for a few days. Later this week my son and I will spend some time there. Some of you are suggesting I not go too fast in spiking down the rails, and I get that, but since I'm using almost all flextrack, how can I run a train to test things out without nailing the track down?

Hey - especially all you guys - Valentine's Day is a week from today - hope you're thinking of something for the other half!!

See ya later. have a good day, everyone.
Johnny

Good Morning -- weather guessers are still missing the targets.
Expecting some scattered rain showers in the area later on. Pretty good rain North of us.

Today is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME temperature as yesterday.
Today
High 56 | Low 52 °F
80% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 67.6 | Low 42.4 °F
Precip. 0 in

I'm off for another CT SCAN this morning.

Best of luck to you my brother in ills!!
The next scan I get will get a PET/CT about 6 weeks after my radiation treatment coming 22 Feb, 2017 - only 2 weeks away!!!!
Hard to believe that I'm on week 5 already they haven't killed me yet! Dam sure seems that it ain't for lack of trying!!! ;)
In fact afternoon yesterday's session I got a rare visit from Dr. Cho himself. They are giving me this Friday off!!!!
Awesome!!! Maybe I can actually ENJOY a recuperated day off. Sat. I'm sleeping and resting all day from all week of rads. Sunday afternoon I'm just barely feeling like getting up and moving around and stuff. That usually why you all don't hear from me all week.

Bell well my Brother.
I'm doing my best here.
E.

Coffee in hand to start the day. I should be off to an earlier start. It was so foggy last night when I left the office I could hardly see across the parking lot. Dense fog advisory this morning now with storms. Looking out the window it doesn't look too bad, just wet and gray so far.

There is quite a bit of activity here during the week - several more pages of replies in just a couple days. Wow. Too much reading material.

Yesterday was long my long chemo day and we didn't live the cancer center until around 17:30 and it was pretty much pitch black already here in SouthCentral Illinois in the Mattoon-Charleton area.
Bad fog here as well. Visibility was only 1/4-1/2 mile at the most. Mom drove slow. Suits me fine.
E.

Hey Curt. In your photo,the section that you are working on,is that going to be a new industry site, or small staging yard? William.

Hey William, you should show off your "show" cars - especially that prize winner caboose's undercarriage.
I should have take a picture!
That is some beautiful work and you got he award to back it up.
Show it off!!! I dam sure would be proud of it.

How's Casey doing? Can't say I haven't seen him around cause quite frankly I have been posting much either. Just too tired and sometimes depressed. The depression seems to be waining now I'm seeing the 2 weeks to the end of my radiation tunnel.
I'm usually here everyday none-the-less. Wed. and Thurs. maybe not so much. Wed. is usually brutal on me and Thu. an Fri. and most of Sat. I'm sleeping it off.

Tell CJ I said Hi anyway and wishing him well.
Keep in touch. Even directl email if you want. Don't matter to me. Always especially glad-happy to hear from friends!!!
E.

Mornin', all! It's 9 am here, temp is 34 and it's raining. Supposed to get up to near 50.

I'm feeling really good today. It's the first time in months that I've gotten up before noon, and I didn't even need the alarm. Usually the alarm goes off at 10, the wife brings coffee at 1030, and I struggle out between 1130 and 1200. I feel so good I might even get the taxes done.

Btw, did you know Amazon sells bouquets of Venus Flytrap? I discovered this when the wife made a remark last night about how I never give her flowers. The actual, true, reason is that it's my one acknowledged superstition: every woman I've given flowers to has dumped me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Okay, everyone. I've got a question for you. The diagram below is of one end of our layout. Due to size limitations, this is our trainyard. Up to now I've been thinking of running the train around the mainline and then backing cars onto the sidings, trying to get 4 (or better yet 6) sidings in the yard. But I got to thinking it would be more realistic if the train could turn into the yard (from the right side of the diagram) and pull through to the left side (where the switches are in darkened print). That would require curved turnouts, since that part of the main line on the right side of the diagram is one continuous curve. Then each siding could split into two (or maybe three) via crossovers, wyes, or just switches. Anyway, want to know what you think about that. Not too late to change any part of that plan. Again, I'm limited by the 6 X 4 space.

Okay, everyone. I've got a question for you. The diagram below is of one end of our layout. Due to size limitations, this is our trainyard. Up to now I've been thinking of running the train around the mainline and then backing cars onto the sidings, trying to get 4 (or better yet 6) sidings in the yard. But I got to thinking it would be more realistic if the train could turn into the yard (from the right side of the diagram) and pull through to the left side (where the switches are in darkened print). That would require curved turnouts, since that part of the main line on the right side of the diagram is one continuous curve. Then each siding could split into two (or maybe three) via crossovers, wyes, or just switches. Anyway, want to know what you think about that. Not too late to change any part of that plan. Again, I'm limited by the 6 X 4 space.

Uh, what diagram?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Good morning. I was wrong about global warming yesterday. 24 degrees with a couple of inches of overnight snow. Nice icy roads. Should have worked from home.

E - Great to see you in here this morning. See you found the right coffee house. Sounds like you survived another day of treatment. Hoping it will be over soon for you.

Willie - Slow is sometime the best way to make progress. Taking the time to do it right the first time usually saves time in the long run. Here a photo showing the tracks going into a couple of sidings coming down to "ground level".

IMAG0175_BURST002.jpg

All of the main line track is on Homabed. I used a router to slowly drop a quarter of an inch into the plywood surface and then just laid the Homabed into the slot cut by the router. A fairly smooth transition. You can see the two siding to the right dropping to ground level. Cork road bed is the same thickness so it should also work for cork, although the Homabed is somewhat more rigid than the cork.

Here one of the random photos of my layout I took over the weekend.

IMAG1038.jpg

Still thinking about what I am going to do with the old passenger cars I found over the weekend. Too nice not to run.

Later

Dang - everytime I try to attach something it goes wonky.

The diagram was converted to a .docx format, and this is the best it would come out. So I uploaded the photo below, which shows the same part of the layout. So, to repeat the question, is backing the cars onto the trainyard sidings, as it looks in the photo, the right way to go? Or should I try curved switches at the left side of the photo (the curve is just out of the picture) and run the trains through the trainyard rather than backing them into it?
TrainYardDiagramFeb2017.jpgIMG_1550 (002).jpg

Thanks for any suggestions.
Johnny

Looking like progress is being made Johnny. Are those turnouts along the wall within easy reach.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back